Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

with that strategy they should be pitching LPs, not posting on HN

pitching lets plays is a thing?

alternatively the only other meaning of LP i know refers to a full length album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

4lokos basilisk posted:

sorry, limited partners, the people who fund VCs

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

who doesn't love a good pitch

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

4lokos basilisk posted:

I’m going to become the first successful Twitch streamer with content that’s just replaying 100% not-live well-edited Let’s Play videos, with live commentary on top for the ADHD kids. If Slowbeef wants to do it then I’ll quit and help him, or any other ambitious goon who wants to make Gen Z understand that carefully edited and curated LPs are better than stream-of-consciousness uncool nerd rambling

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Analytic Engine posted:

I’m going to become the first successful Twitch streamer with content that’s just replaying 100% not-live well-edited Let’s Play videos, with live commentary on top for the ADHD kids. If Slowbeef wants to do it then I’ll quit and help him, or any other ambitious goon who wants to make Gen Z understand that carefully edited and curated LPs are better than stream-of-consciousness uncool nerd rambling

i find it strange when people say that [millennial|zoomers|whatever] have adhd because they prefer videos to text

the reason i will always choose a text + picture guide over a video or podcast is exactly because i don't have the patience to wait for dudes to talk in front of their mic

i can read way faster than i can listen, and it's much easier to skim the parts i don't care about

never got into video lps for that reason, always read exclusively sslps (which i believe were even more effort for the creators)

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

sorry, limited partners, the people who fund VCs

yeah shows how much i know about this stuff

NihilCredo posted:

i find it strange when people say that [millennial|zoomers|whatever] have adhd because they prefer videos to text

the reason i will always choose a text + picture guide over a video or podcast is exactly because i don't have the patience to wait for dudes to talk in front of their mic

i can read way faster than i can listen, and it's much easier to skim the parts i don't care about

never got into video lps for that reason, always read exclusively sslps (which i believe were even more effort for the creators)

same. text is searchable and loads faster than video.
unless it's about how something sounds or animates or really someone showing a workflow in a program (and then that video is usually for an ancient version and therefore useless)

i feel like all the platforms storing massive massive amounts of record-only material that barely anyone watches is kind of a waste of engineering effort. especially if now we need a massive real life 5g infra buildout because everyone must be able to on-demand stream their favorite nerd rambling in luscious 4k while on their phone

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Analytic Engine posted:

Twitch bans video replays (must be live content is the stream is tagged live). Facebook Gaming doesn’t and the most watched live streams are just Indian YouTubers who rebroadcast old PUBG Mobile games.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
remember the guy who pir9d a ufc stream and was pretending to play it. so good

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

graph posted:

remember the guy who pir9d a ufc stream and was pretending to play it. so good

gently caress that’s good, and I did an uncool version as a kid who got sick of his cousin’s hand-me-down NES

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Xik posted:

never heard anyone use "gravitas" outside of the amusing culture space ship naming bit, that's enough to make me automatically distrust someone

source your quotes

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

firasd 1 day ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Online art communities begin banning AI-generated ...

I think the communities involved here like digital artists, furries etc got a lot of attention hating on NFTs last year, so they are doubling down with the anti-art-generator movement. But I don't think this one will be so successful. Like sure, maybe art community sites could require you to tag prompt-generated art just as a way to label things, but in terms of widespread usage the cat is out of the bag.
Whenever I get on Twitter and see someone incoherently angry about people using Stable Diffusion I'm reminded of that quote from an Android in Blade Runner 2049: “You tiny thing. In the face of the fabulous new, your only thought is to kill it? For fear of great change? You can’t hold the tide with a broom.”

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Xik posted:

never heard anyone use "gravitas" outside of the amusing culture space ship naming bit, that's enough to make me automatically distrust someone

more about them of gravy than gravitas

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Achmed Jones posted:

source your quotes

Sorry, I assumed based on all the dumb goon posts itt lately we were doing our best hn poster impressions

mystes
May 31, 2006

Not actually hn but it deserves to be:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

hn thread: please do not misinterpret this in a racist way

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

FCKGW posted:

Twitch bans video replays (must be live content is the stream is tagged live).
In practice, no they don't, so long as there's something to it beyond just playing it straightaway. Commentary, arrangement, mixing, etc.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

mystes posted:

wanted to see the replies but the account got suspended lmao

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

mystes posted:

wanted to see the replies but the account got suspended lmao

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

ultrafilter posted:

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

ultrafilter posted:

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
twilio is firing and the hackers are mad:

anonym29 8 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

To imply there is absolutely no overlap between the group of people espousing CRT and the group of people who believe the world would be a better place if every white person spontaneously died is to be willfully ignorant of an unfortunate reality.

We should be taking the opportunity to disavow the latter on behalf of the good intentions of the former.

anonym29 9 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

I'll believe this was actually racially blind when Twilio releases a count of each race that was laid off, and the sum of each race for employees in the company prior to the layoff. It's very simple for everyone to verify whether there was racial targeting outside the statistically probable bounds of random selection from the parent group.

I have no problem with people being woke as long as we're both working towards a provable shared reality with data rather than rhetoric.

Humans lie. Sufficient amounts of data analyzed by a suficient number of people do not.

Assuming it was possible to look at the data I call for above, would you be opposed to the public dissemination and analysis of it?

spamizbad 8 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

That's not good enough. They could just lie. You need a formal audit conducted by a third party. Anything else is unacceptable.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
yikesaroo

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

epitaph posted:

twilio is firing and the hackers are mad:

anonym29 8 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

To imply there is absolutely no overlap between the group of people espousing CRT and the group of people who believe the world would be a better place if every white person spontaneously died is to be willfully ignorant of an unfortunate reality.

We should be taking the opportunity to disavow the latter on behalf of the good intentions of the former.

anonym29 9 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

I'll believe this was actually racially blind when Twilio releases a count of each race that was laid off, and the sum of each race for employees in the company prior to the layoff. It's very simple for everyone to verify whether there was racial targeting outside the statistically probable bounds of random selection from the parent group.

I have no problem with people being woke as long as we're both working towards a provable shared reality with data rather than rhetoric.

Humans lie. Sufficient amounts of data analyzed by a suficient number of people do not.

Assuming it was possible to look at the data I call for above, would you be opposed to the public dissemination and analysis of it?

spamizbad 8 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

That's not good enough. They could just lie. You need a formal audit conducted by a third party. Anything else is unacceptable.

these guys have definitely been asking for the same thing say 20 years ago, right?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Ask HN: Where are the interesting conversations?
48 points by seydor 3 hours ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 41 comments
I have this suspicion that conversations that are deep about touchy issues are nowhere to be found on the internet anymore. Perhaps they have moved to late-night dinners with VCs or yacht rides with rich people? Where are the places to start (and continue) conversations about important issues without self-censoring and walking on eggshells?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Rich people have worse things to do on their late night yacht rides than debate if schools are too woke

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

when rich people do have deep conversations it’s about how they’re going to ride out the decline of civilization without lowering their personal standard of living

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
xwdv 11 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

I’ve listened to many conversations in my life.

In my experience, listening to conversations among wealthy people or high status people are far more interesting because as a group they have the ability to execute on a larger scale, and they can influence each other far more easily because of the credibility their wealth or status confers. I have been in many rooms before listening to people you would not believe, I was able to get there by simply playing the respected role of a modern day wizard: a software engineer of vast intellect with ability to generate new revenues from code.

When I have listened to poorer people or low status “hustler” types talking to each other about big things, it mostly just comes off as myopic philosophizing or bullshit and puffery. Just a bunch of wannabes talking about things too big for the britches I’m afraid. If you spend too much time around these people you’ll get sucked into their delusions and waste years perpetuating terribly misguided thoughts.

I talk to poor people when I want to learn about micro scale things: the plight of a gig worker, the struggles of a single mother, the hellish existence of a drug addict, depression, etc.

I talk to wealthy people when I want to learn about macro scale things: the logistics of vaccine transport, alternative supply chains, subliminal eugenics initiatives, bureaucratic shortcuts, laundering, etc.

And I’m not saying only listen to wealthy people wow how shallow, I’m saying go where wealthy people are and just open your mind and ears. Don’t try to stand out too much and your presence will not be a problem.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

ok now if you hang out with rich people, you should also pay a little more attention and notice how the most important thing they use their wealth and power for is to ensure that they have more of it.
so you never see those brave and resourceful people talking about or even considering anything that they feel actually impacts them even slightly negatively. but of course those are not the important topics like dEcReAsInG wHiTe bIrThRaTeS that really matter for the average hn poster that are being censored out of the public sphere

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

avoid doorways posted:

this guy sounds like a winner

about : Ethically challenged software engineer working for a major tech company you know. Used to have close to 1000 karma, got destroyed over time by hackernews cancel culture and a change in downvote algorithms. But now that the algorithm has been changed back to classic style, I'm rising up again.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

charcircuit 5 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

I'm a part of gen Z and am against SS. Being forced to give old people a percentage of my income is literally slavery and is extremely unethical.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

charcircuit 5 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

I'm a part of gen Z and am against SS. Being forced to give old people a percentage of my income is literally slavery and is extremely unethical.
Weird, sounds to me like they would have loved the SS

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
imagining one of the hackers stumbling across one of those milquetoast equity vs equality cartoons and violently sobbing at the sight

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

punished milkman posted:

imagining one of the hackers stumbling across one of those milquetoast equity vs equality cartoons and violently sobbing at the sight

other people.... exist?

other people... have feelings? and are different from me?

sounds bad to me, the libertarian that never developed a theory of mind.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

avoid doorways posted:

subliminal eugenics initiatives

i'm gonna start tearing peoples spines out like sub-zero

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

whenever i see headlines that might group i like to think its all by the same dude

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/zero_chill_tea/status/1572083464849199104

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

the virgin let vs the chad auto

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jesus christ it's not saying "let ME do something", it's saying "let VARNAME be something"

you're literally telling the compiler it has to allow something

it's a super authoritative, imperative statement. jesus if they're gonna be stupid you'd think they could at least understand the fuckin language they're being stupid in

I expect them to be a bunch of reactionary freaks, but I at least expect them to be reactionary freaks that can parse basic sentences

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

jesus christ it's not saying "let ME do something", it's saying "let VARNAME be something"

it's a super authoritative, imperative statement. jesus if they're gonna be stupid you'd think they could at least understand the fuckin language they're being stupid in

I expect them to be a bunch of reactionary freaks, but I at least expect them to be reactionary freaks that can parse basic sentences

you expected these people to pay attention in *snicker* english class? that's one of those waste of time courses that they were forced to 'endure'.
of course, you would think that a turbonerd would know that the statement "let x equal y" or "let x be ..." is common in mathematics too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

Speaking of jesus, it's more like "let there be light"