Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i have never fished in my life but sitting half a day in a lake on a boat seems like a chill time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

yummycheese posted:

im not sure what it is but rarely do I see anyone younger than Gen X
were you like in a coma for 2008 or do you just not realize that gen x was the last generation that was generally allowed enough money for hobbies?

https://i.imgur.com/HUphaAd.mp4

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 18, 2022

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Corla Plankun posted:

were you like in a coma for 2008 or do you just not realize that gen x was the last generation that was generally allowed enough money for hobbies?

yeah, i'd love to own a hobie cat but i can barely afford to put gas in my car in the first place let alone drive to a lake, the closest one to me is like 2 hours away.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Large Testicles posted:

yeah, i'd love to own a hobie cat but i can barely afford to put gas in my car in the first place let alone drive to a lake, the closest one to me is like 2 hours away.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384411458794057728

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Corla Plankun posted:

A lot of the young people with money would rather spend boat money on setting up their streaming rig, streaming office, streaming chair, streaming indoor fireworks, etc. There really has been a cultural change. And all the lakes are drying up, so uhhhh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you can actually drown if you boat poorly

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Antigravitas posted:

What I would never recommend is trying something idiotic like Sassnitz -> Bornholm. Just utter misery even with favourable wind and weather.

oh, i know

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Antigravitas posted:

Sailing through 6 Bft wind with proper gear and letting the wind blow the dust out of your skull is a great experience, there's just something about being between the waves that makes you forget about "multiple inheritance" and "constructors" and "containers" and other irrelevant garbage.

Robert Redford begs to differ https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2017038/
"After a collision with a shipping container at sea, a resourceful sailor finds himself, despite all efforts to the contrary, staring his mortality in the face."

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

lol love 2 run windows on my boat

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

echinopsis posted:

you can actually drown if you boat poorly

maybe you can, if you lub the land enough

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

boating can be pretty yospos. i remember having to get these daily wind/weather updates via a old school motorola satellite phone that was plugged into an ipad using some wacky usb modem.

GRIB files is what i remember them being called.

HF weather fax is still a thing too.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

graph posted:

do you have this bookmarked
yup. bookmarked it back when i made it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

minato posted:

Robert Redford begs to differ https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2017038/
"After a collision with a shipping container at sea, a resourceful sailor finds himself, despite all efforts to the contrary, staring his mortality in the face."

i liked this movie

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Back In My Day we just sat in the light of a petroleum lamp below deck and listened to the Seewetterbericht on MF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-jCaFfdrlg&t=237s

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
if its not running Windows for Watersports im not interested :colbert:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_reqpsySm3X1r0uzl6.mp4

:eyepop:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
lol @ the sproingy boy

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1571579789550518275?s=20

e: the cans of irnbru in the door pocket add to the scottish-ness

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

oof

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

jesus WEP posted:

i have never fished in my life but sitting half a day in a lake on a boat seems like a chill time

book a day deep sea fishing trip with a bunch of pals. trust

insanely envious

Kenny Logins posted:

yup. bookmarked it back when i made it

haha

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

graph posted:

book a day deep sea fishing trip with a bunch of pals. trust

do not forget sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses or you will hate life for a few days - first hand experience

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Large Testicles posted:

do not forget sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses or you will hate life for a few days - first hand experience

actual footage about 3 days after that happens

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

*Beavis voice* boiiiiiinnnnggg

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

lmao

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

you can go on a walk to circumnavigate

that would be circumambulation, not circumnavigation

mystes
May 31, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That depends if you're at the north pole and whether you're talking about heading or course.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mystes posted:

That depends if you're at the north pole and whether you're talking about heading or course.

No, it doesn't.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
what you're referring to is in fact ambulation over ground

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also whether you salt your rice

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What a weird language.

If I have a compass with me, does that count as navigating the circumference of the island instead of ambulating it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

look, it's only navigation if you're in the navi region of france, otherwise it's just sparkling ambulation

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

What a weird language.

If I have a compass with me, does that count as navigating the circumference of the island instead of ambulating it?

you can literally literally only navigate on sea (let's allow for rivers and lakes because some fucker is bound to try that too smhd), on land faffing about with a compass is orienteering

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I reject your prescriptivism.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

I reject your prescriptivism.

that's impossible, only postscriptivism can be rejected. you see, it's already done

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
so what was I doing when I used netscape navigator

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

haveblue posted:

it depends, were you on a body of water at the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

haveblue posted:

wanking