Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Sagebrush posted:

also the company can start guilting people who take more than 0 days off as "not team players" etc because it's not like you had to take vacation to use it up, you just decided to let your team down

yeah it gets used as a hosed up laziness detector too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

unlimited pto is less terrible in countries that have a legal minimum for annual leave, also countries that don’t take protestant work ethic to an extreme, but it’s still worse in every way than just knowing what you’re entitled to and taking that

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

correct I'm not a team player I'm an employee

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

unlimited pto is less terrible in countries that have a legal minimum for annual leave, also countries that don’t take protestant work ethic to an extreme, but it’s still worse in every way than just knowing what you’re entitled to and taking that

i wish i were entitled to two day work weeks

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Beeftweeter posted:

aw man i hope you feel at least a little better soon

no kidding. i would love to stop inventing horrific diseases/disorders/maladies that could be the cause

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

i went to the doctor a little while ago for a hearing problem i'm having and they scheduled me for an audiology appointment. first available date is in december.

sure, in america you have to pay a lot of money for healthcare, but at least you don't have to wait in lines like some commie

i scheduled that 11am appointment (gastroenterologist) at midnight, 11 hours beforehand using their online appointment system and the visit cost me $3.50 plus $25 of prescription medications. and by me i mean it was paid for by the national social insurance system that my employer pays into, $0 out of pocket for me

imo america should try that

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 20, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you have the means, i recommend getting a job as a professor. interesting balance of not being able to pick your days off (gotta make it to class and meetings) and total no shits given about when you work outside of that. i haven't taught on a friday in eight years

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

if you have the means, i recommend getting a job as a professor. interesting balance of not being able to pick your days off (gotta make it to class and meetings) and total no shits given about when you work outside of that. i haven't taught on a friday in eight years

ill keep that in mind for my next go around

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
that sucks. im glad my contract has explicit numbers written in it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Beeftweeter posted:

been takin lots of naps

i encourage everyone to fit a nap into their day, every day

dioxazine posted:

i wish i were entitled to two day work weeks

im in the office two days a week and i get so much done its wild

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sagebrush posted:

workin on my phd and agree. i enjoy my work schedule quite a bit.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

something i've noticed is i struggle with even banking up pto when it's accrued vs unlimited. it's rare for me to have a full week banked up because i burn it as i go. not at all advocating for or against it, and it's definitely used in some ways that are shady, but the more i think about it, the more i think i prefer the unlimited pto situation.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sagebrush posted:

if you have the means, i recommend getting a job as a professor

hahahhahahaahahhaahahahhhhaaaaha

ahaha

aahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahafdadfhhfd

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

nudgenudgetilt posted:

something i've noticed is i struggle with even banking up pto when it's accrued vs unlimited. it's rare for me to have a full week banked up because i burn it as i go. not at all advocating for or against it, and it's definitely used in some ways that are shady, but the more i think about it, the more i think i prefer the unlimited pto situation.

i get all my pto for the whole year on january 1st. works for me

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
my boss is always on my case to take pto because i hit the limit or whatever. but i miss so many days (unlimited sick time) due to my defective brain, i feel guilty

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it seems pretty easy to become a prof if your parents a famous prof or plute-scale rich

otherwise lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it seems pretty easy to become a prof if your parents a famous prof or plute-scale rich

otherwise lol

i grew up in a trailer house. neither of my parents had or have any money. covid forced my father into bankruptcy and he now cannot even get a home equity line of credit to fix some plumbing issues.

the military is the only reason i got my bachelors, jd, and law degree. i’ve segued that into getting paid to go to school.

it wasn’t because i’m from a rich family. :lol: far from it. i’m probably the wealthiest person in my immediate family with my -$60k or so in net worth.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i dont want to teach anyone but i love the idea of wandering around a college campus looking extremely disheveled and wearing lots of tweed.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
being in grad school is not anywhere close to being a tenured prof, sorry

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Mr. Nice! posted:

i grew up in a trailer house. neither of my parents had or have any money. covid forced my father into bankruptcy and he now cannot even get a home equity line of credit to fix some plumbing issues.

the military is the only reason i got my bachelors, jd, and law degree. i’ve segued that into getting paid to go to school.

it wasn’t because i’m from a rich family. :lol: far from it. i’m probably the wealthiest person in my immediate family with my -$60k or so in net worth.

are u really the wealthiest if everyone else has multiple times your net worth?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

try being retired

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PokeJoe posted:

try being retired

according to fire, mr nice could retire today on an indefinite -$2.4k annual income

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PokeJoe posted:

try being retired

speaking of

:patriot: subban and chara

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

graph posted:

im in the office two days a week and i get so much done its wild

after the hell of this monday, i'm not getting anything done this week. just glad that everything is back to baseline

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Portland ME was super nice, needed the couple days off too heh. Feeling much less anxious about moving now, have this weird aversion to big changes right up until I see what the deal is then I tend to go whole hog. Probably going to wait until spring though, gently caress driving multiple states when the snow is still falling.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

post hole digger posted:

i dont want to teach anyone but i love the idea of wandering around a college campus looking extremely disheveled and wearing lots of tweed.

i can confirm this is nice

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

graph posted:

speaking of

:patriot: subban and chara

im still pissed that the bruins ever traded Chara. hes gonna retire a bruin now, but he never should have left

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Sagebrush posted:

ID seems like a pretty sweet area to be a professor in. i liked (almost) all my ID professors, and they spent their time doing actual teaching and all seemed to really enjoy it and care about the students. maybe it's different at diff universities, but my professors' main thing was teaching/studio running, with little to no publishing.

if academia didn't suck rear end to get a job in, i'd consider it more, but i also don't know if i can handle graduate school, even if it's just MFA/MID for design, and i doubt i'd be able to afford it and/or get it paid for by someone else.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

cjs: did a big presentation of research that will make people sad and mad, but it went well. gotta do it again later today.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

being in grad school is not anywhere close to being a tenured prof, sorry

are you suggesting i’m not going to get a job when i graduate and become employed because i’m not a plutocrat? i would hazard you know next to nothing about my field, the job placement, etc.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

fart simpson posted:

are u really the wealthiest if everyone else has multiple times your net worth?

they’re further in debt than i am!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

getting to the age where all the cool multiplayer poo poo i played when i was younger is starting to Not Exist anymore
this loving sucks

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres no such thing as a phd field where its easy to get a tenured job anymore. any phd field

i mean, theres lots of places where its straightforward to get a good postdoc, and a huge portion of everything where its easy to go out and get an industry job. but nothing is easy for the climb to tenure

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
step one be a princetonn legacy kid

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

hbag is doing an impressive speedrun of the enthusiastic linux enjoyer to gently caress off to the woods graybeard pipeline

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

huh? im just talking about gmod gamemodes i used to love being dead now

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my buddy in middle school and high school had entirely grey hair by 15 thanks to his insane helicopter mom

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

hbag posted:

huh? im just talking about gmod gamemodes i used to love being dead now

just generally speaking with your previous woods comment a page or two back

my buddy in middle school and high school had entirely grey hair by 15 thanks to his insane helicopter mom

i had no idea that was possible at such a young age

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
me neither. he's never been carded for liquor in his life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

fart simpson posted:

according to fire, mr nice could retire today on an indefinite -$2.4k annual income

seems cheaper than a degree