Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Purely from a gameplay perspective I like 2nd half because Abby would make Chris Redfield and Solid Snake proud with that CQC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Turns out that revenge is bad, folks.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Days Gone: Jesus, just how how often do you get radio calls one after another? The quest-log is also a bit of a mess since the plot is entirely linear, but you ping-pong around without much rhyme or reason.

The game won't play them mid missions, so if you do a handful of missions in a row or some side quests, the game will queue them all up.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Purely from a gameplay perspective I like 2nd half because Abby would make Chris Redfield and Solid Snake proud with that CQC.

I honestly liked the 2nd half best. It's like Naughty Dog knew it was going to be controversial so they loaded it with memorable stuff like the forest escape, the hotel and the rat king.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Mierenneuker posted:

Just a few more games before this theme gets tired!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Veotax posted:

Keeping a list of force sensitive children around is a staggeringly stupid idea. Cal decided using it to rebuild the Jedi is a bad idea, so he destroyed it so the Empire can't get it.

Yeah, thinking on it today, I wasn't very generous to the ending. I was mostly upset that it was over, because I really liked the game. I wanted to fight more!

And that's a me thing, I know. I also had the audio desync glitch, which didn't help.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Mierenneuker posted:

All those people you're killing? They have friends! Names! Some of them are even pregnant! Some are even dogs! With NAMES! WHY ARE YOU KILLING DOGS WITH NAMES YOU MONSTER!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It was cool to find out by example that Naughty Dog wasn't lying about that stuff, at least. I died in the middle of a fight and when I restarted, enemies which got called out by name had the same name but got different callouts, so there really is some guy in some specific encounter they named "Nick" or whathaveyou like an extra in a film. The Last Of Us 2 was great to play once and I dread playing it again because the urge to MST3K over the children making poor life choices would be too strong.

edit: And all this stuff about enemies with names, et cetera would be so utterly cool if it wasn't completely in service to making the shooting enemies in the head more satisfying/horrifying and nothing else. Like drat have a person call two other people by name and then they walk off together to patrol or something.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Sep 20, 2022

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don’t really know why Naughty Dog tried to do a big emotional epic story in the first place. I mean, they’re amazing devs with a terrific pedigree, but it’s stuff like Australian Mario and Indiana Jones With An Old Navy Sponsorship And Violence Fetish, nobody was playing those for the stories.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Goodness, I'm all of seven minutes in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and this voice acting is bizarre. The Nopons talk in this broken English but the voice actors just read it so loving straight. In previous games, Nopons have this dumb way of talking but the actors at least added inflections to the other parts of the sentences to, you know, convey speaking. And while there is flair in the voice acting, it's like the actors were not given any actual context to the scene; the kid is jumping up and down excitedly and waving his arms around but the actor is talking like he's just being a suave guy at a bar or something. And it's weird to have a beast the size of a mountain speak to you in such an indoor voice, like he was just another guy sitting across from you at the cafe.

Do most people switch to Japanese? Or does it get better?

Like, the titan speaking in such a mild way really annoys me; it's one thing to have actors do something badly or something, but all it takes is like two minutes on Audacity to make him sound like a creature of great size. It's just real fuckin lazy feeling.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Rockman Reserve posted:

I don’t really know why Naughty Dog tried to do a big emotional epic story in the first place. I mean, they’re amazing devs with a terrific pedigree, but it’s stuff like Australian Mario and Indiana Jones With An Old Navy Sponsorship And Violence Fetish, nobody was playing those for the stories.

In their defense, I think the first game managed to make something simple but poignant and while I know that the ending is divisive, I for one really liked it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
God of War 3 did everything tlou2 did storywise but better and also while being a fun game.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I enjoyed TLoU2 especially on my grounded play through when I knew the levels a bit better

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
They say "before you embark on a journey of revenge, first dig two graves", but frankly I'm killing way more people than that.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Breetai posted:

They say "before you embark on a journey of revenge, first dig two graves", but frankly I'm killing way more people than that.

One of them is for your enemy, the other is a mass grave for all his henchmen, whats so difficult to understand?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

credburn posted:

Goodness, I'm all of seven minutes in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and this voice acting is bizarre. The Nopons talk in this broken English but the voice actors just read it so loving straight. In previous games, Nopons have this dumb way of talking but the actors at least added inflections to the other parts of the sentences to, you know, convey speaking. And while there is flair in the voice acting, it's like the actors were not given any actual context to the scene; the kid is jumping up and down excitedly and waving his arms around but the actor is talking like he's just being a suave guy at a bar or something. And it's weird to have a beast the size of a mountain speak to you in such an indoor voice, like he was just another guy sitting across from you at the cafe.

Like, the titan speaking in such a mild way really annoys me; it's one thing to have actors do something badly or something, but all it takes is like two minutes on Audacity to make him sound like a creature of great size. It's just real fuckin lazy feeling.

Xenoblade 2’s development was really rocky and that extended to the localization. The actors all had to read their lines context-free (basically going down a list) and only got one take, so most of the reads are at least a little bit stilted and only a few actors put any oomph into their lines

I kept the English VA’s because I was tickled by the regional accents but it’s a tough sell, especially when you start getting entire cutscenes of almost nothing but nopon

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Only thing I took away from TLoU2 was when Elle's Killing Korner is open, business is good. Some idiot coming to look at the latest dead body just joined the pile and we repeat. :ese:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the very first note you find in tlou2 is about how the bigoted bartender you see in a flashback scene is actually a scared sad old man with two hungry kids and it just keeps going on and on in that vein

yes i'm aware my enemies are people too, do you have anything else to say. anything at all, for the next thirty hours we'll be spending together. how about an environmental map that isn't sopping wet gray seattle

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 00:35 on Sep 21, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oxxidation posted:

yes i'm aware my enemies are people too, do you have anything else to say. anything at all, for the next thirty hours we'll be spending together. how about an environmental map that isn't sopping wet gray seattle

In the first major flashback of Days Gone, Sarah mentions to Deacon that she could have done plant lab research in either Oregon or Seattle and now that TLOU2 is out I'm just like lady you definitely made the right call

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oxxidation posted:

the very first note you find in tlou2 is about how the bigoted bartender you see in a flashback scene is actually a scared sad old man with two hungry kids and it just keeps going on and on in that vein

The stuff where they're like,

"GEORGE! you monster! He was my best friend and you murdered him!"

As I continue not giving a gently caress and massacreing the enemies, was pretty funny at least

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Oxxidation posted:

Xenoblade 2’s development was really rocky and that extended to the localization. The actors all had to read their lines context-free (basically going down a list) and only got one take, so most of the reads are at least a little bit stilted and only a few actors put any oomph into their lines

I kept the English VA’s because I was tickled by the regional accents but it’s a tough sell, especially when you start getting entire cutscenes of almost nothing but nopon

I only found it really noticeable with two voice actors--somehow appropriately, one of the heroes and one of the villains. Dromarch is mostly fine which makes the points where he cracks out exactly the wrong inflection on a sentence in context really jarring, and Patroka just feels like her lines are from an entirely different game and the script happens to line up enough to insert it all verbatim.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is the best game about Revengeance being badgood and goodbad.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is the best game about Revengeance being badgood and goodbad.

Raidan making a breakthrough and realising who he truly is is great.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"My crippling PTSD makes me good at my job" is a weird flex.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Philippe posted:

I'm writing my annual eval (US Navy) and "My crippling PTSD makes me good at my job" is like, half of it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Philippe posted:

Worked great for Rambo

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

PhazonLink posted:

I do appreciate that Raiden's idea of blending in in Mexico is this:

I hope if he ever goes to Canada he dresses in a big gaudy Mountie outfit.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

I hope if he ever goes to Canada he dresses in a big gaudy Mountie outfit.

Don't be ridiculous. A lumberjack outfit would be much more suitable.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I started playing Soul Hackers 2. Really enjoyed the first like hour of it. Then once the plot actually starts going they decide to introduce a navigator style character, just like in the persona series, that you absolutely don't need for any mechanical reason that kind of ruins both the atmosphere and aesthetic of the game because now there's a giant cartoon owl taking up the upper right corner of my screen pulsing neon green constantly until an enemy shows up in which case it starts screaming about how there's an enemy on screen. Due to how the dungeons are designed it feels nearly impossible to actually miss enemies or NPCs in them. They stand out from a mile away and have giant bright icons that highlight where they are. Giving me this obtrusive thing that just constantly screeches every time an NPC or enemy shows up just makes the game worse.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Spelunky 2
Some day I will remember not to run past the level exit with Monty on the way to the altar, but it is not this day

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Nuebot posted:

So I started playing Soul Hackers 2. Really enjoyed the first like hour of it. Then once the plot actually starts going they decide to introduce a navigator style character, just like in the persona series, that you absolutely don't need for any mechanical reason that kind of ruins both the atmosphere and aesthetic of the game because now there's a giant cartoon owl taking up the upper right corner of my screen pulsing neon green constantly until an enemy shows up in which case it starts screaming about how there's an enemy on screen. Due to how the dungeons are designed it feels nearly impossible to actually miss enemies or NPCs in them. They stand out from a mile away and have giant bright icons that highlight where they are. Giving me this obtrusive thing that just constantly screeches every time an NPC or enemy shows up just makes the game worse.

When I got into Atelier games the main plot was more of a light framework and you were basically encouraged to do whatever you want, explore, synthesize, conquer bosses, find character subplots as you see fit.

The newest one, Atelier Sophie 2, has an always on main story quest objective HUD element. This despite there being a memo/diary option in the menu that also shows that. For some reason you're not allowed to spend one solitary second without having to stare what you're supposed to do in the face.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rune factory 5 has a quest to get every character in town to friendship level 5. every time I get close to completing this the story adds another jabroni to town who starts at 0 friendship.

edit: now I had a bug where about 40 healthy crops I had growing simply vanished following a story transition. cool!

edit edit: not a bug. the story caused a 1-day timeskip to happen, during which there was a random weather event that causes crops to grow at light speed, and my tamed monsters that do farm chores for me harvested and sold them all during that day without my involvement. Actually incredible.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 06:11 on Sep 22, 2022

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Eh, as you get further into the Soul Matrix, there are more than a few times when enemies appear right behind you because of the way the dungeon is designed. That's about the only time Figue is even remotely helpful, though...you do get a second navigator later on that's WAY more tolerable.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Randalor posted:

Don't be ridiculous. A lumberjack outfit would be much more suitable.

Fair dues

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Eh, as you get further into the Soul Matrix, there are more than a few times when enemies appear right behind you because of the way the dungeon is designed. That's about the only time Figue is even remotely helpful, though...you do get a second navigator later on that's WAY more tolerable.

Even by the second dungeon the game seems to love spawning enemies behind you, so its nice to know when I can safely stop to check my map and when I need to go through a door/talk to a recon demon first.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

credburn posted:

Xenoblade 2 was famously rushed and had staffing issues due to Nintendo tearing Monolith Soft in half for Breath of the Wild assistance, the voice acting across all regions was done in a single take with no time for do-overs.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I guess that explains why X3 was supposedly finished for a while and Nintendo just kinda sat on it until they wanted something to flex on a Direct. More AAA devs should really do that tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Last Celebration posted:

I guess that explains why X3 was supposedly finished for a while and Nintendo just kinda sat on it until they wanted something to flex on a Direct. More AAA devs should really do that tbh.

This is why publishers should never announce release dates

(I am wholly serious about this, though not 100% for that reason)