Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Resident Evil modding continues to be very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Mods continue to loving own

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2862194785&searchtext=

I feel like I can make many accurate guesses about this person.

quote:

What it does:
- All thralls with male roles are male.
- All women are nude, shaved and corruption doesn't make them ugly.
- All thralls with female roles are female.
-- Exceptions: sorcerer, Derketo priests and Jhebbal Sag priests are female.
- MEN HAVE BEARDS!! (I can do that because I set the hair color to only blonde, that way beards don't look weird.)
-- T1/T2: Soy beards + soy hair (...everything that looks like work)
-- T3: Average beards + average hair (...mostly stuff that looks like no f* given)
-- T4/T5: PC MASTER RACE (... beautiful long hair and full beards that don't require any attention because they are perfect by nature ...or something classy)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
They use the term "lefturds" in the comments which is all you need to know, really.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

So THATS where my car keys went :doh:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/CloudMateria/status/1571350366419288064

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lmao 10/10

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nailed it.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Looks normal to me. What's the mod?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Giving Link a run for their money.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

This video is mostly going over using the tool with Morrowind (which i have to think is a much bigger task than implied, on top of the problems caused by all the other mods people use), but Nvidia just announced a tool that allows modders to add ray tracing to dx8 and 9 games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg52-HZhrFc

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's an... interesting one. It is, as you say, not a trivial task. Specifically, the really pretty scenes composed for the video rely heavily on quite a few custom models & materials; but making an entire game's worth of high quality assets like that is a task which can charitably be described as gargantuan. That said, if the video's demonstration of the pipeline is accurate, it looks like it's possible to apply RTX to the game by having the tool read the lighting & texture information so you can create materials from the textures with physically based rendering properties, and that would still be a pretty phenomenal improvement to most old games. This too would be a big task, but nothing close to the herculean labor of trying to recreate every single model in the game; it's the kind of thing a very dedicated person with a lot of time on their hands could conceivably do. It'd be a ton of boring data entry and require an artistic eye but it would be much faster than doing mesh replacements.

I accidentally read one of the video comments as well, suggesting that this makes the morrowind remake in skyrim obsolete; ironically, this tool would probably be far more useful for the remake project than original morrowind at this point. The remake already has maps populated with modern assets, and is mainly held back by the ancient lighting & material engine in use in Skyrim. In the case of this project too, they are substantially updating morrowind's gameplay, so it makes sense to continue work. The real use case for this tool is on games where the modding tools are inaccessible/nonexistent, and especially when you want to preserve the original gameplay exactly intact. This lets you hook into the original engine so that nothing needs to be changed except the visual side of things.

I will also note that this tool seems uniquely well-suited to Morrowind because that game is built almost exclusively out of meshes. This technique would work far worse on most games from the era, and especially on earlier ones. Anything on the Unreal or Quake-derived engines is going to use a lot of level geometry which won't be editable/hot swappable in the same fashion as this, and most custom engines from the day worked the same. These games could still benefit from the RTX lighting pipeline though.

Oh, and the AI upscaling thing is probably garbage. It's being sold as a quick and easy fix, but it sucks and people are going to buy into it if this tool winds up seeing any kind of adoption. But here, let me show you:

This looks pretty good! It's not perfect, and in particular I think the higher resolution material really highlights how low-poly the underlying geometry is where the original texture hides that. But the extra sharpness is nice, and goes well with the addition of physically-based properties that make the material look like it has some depth and reactivity to lighting. Overall it looks fairly nice and is faithful to the original texture's art style & intent.

This one is... not so good. The original texture is low-resolution, but with the context clue of it being a tapestry, the hatched pattern across the surface very clearly reads as cloth. With the AI upscaling, not only is the pattern not any more readable/clear, now the whole thing has an unnatural sheen and instead of being imbued with a regular clothlike pattern, it is a smooth flat surface with weird irregular gouging across it. Gross.

And this one is garbage. Now, what the video was trying to show off at this point was the candle in the foreground, and fair is fair, the upscale on the candle looks decent, it retains most of the useful data and looks sharper, which you can see on the silverware on the right side of the frame. But look at the tablecloth - it's turned what was meant to be a cloth texture which is starting to fray at the edges into a bright Tron grid which not only looks bad, it's so off from the original artistic intent that it doesn't even read as cloth anymore, it's some bizarre and distracting abstract pattern. Even worse, it's picked up on the gridlike weave of the original texture in the original area and applied that as depth information and then made the rest of the cloth shiny; and it looks like mud overlaid on rebar. This looks loving terrible, and is going to look really jarring in-game when there are a lot of decent assets and then some standout awful ones like this.

Overall though this is a really cool tool, and has a lot of promising applications. I hope nvidia doesn't abandon this partway through development and then never release it, as they have a habit of doing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The first implementation of DLSS was pretty bad and now I run it in basically any game I can, with a handful of exceptions. I imagine this'll get there.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's a modding tool and it'll be as good as whoever's making the conversions manually. there's some pretty bad results they're using for portal as their official showcase game, but it's far from impossible to imagine better results

this is the one that particularly sticks in my craw:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

flatluigi posted:

it's a modding tool and it'll be as good as whoever's making the conversions manually. there's some pretty bad results they're using for portal as their official showcase game, but it's far from impossible to imagine better results

this is the one that particularly sticks in my craw:

you could also just not use the AI texture upscaling and only use it for the raytracing stuff, right?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you could also just not use the AI texture upscaling and only use it for the raytracing stuff, right?

i mean yes but that's also saying 'you could do the remastering work without using nvidia's new tool' which is entirely correct

i think you and orv are reading this as an option like DLSS that you can toggle on and off? it's not even something like a shader

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It's a mod that gets to sit at the gpu driver level and intercept all of a game's rendering calls to (1) replace the game's render pipeline with its own one to add new rendering effects like raytracing
and (2) replace models/textures with new ones at runtime, without having to touch the game's original files on disk.

Nvidia happens to distribute it with an AI upscaler which they suggest you use to make new textures to plug into that part (2)... but you don't have to use it. You don't even need to use (2) at all.

e: Actually you might need to use part (2) since it also does poo poo like convert old style bumpmaps into normal maps and crap. But that still doesn't mean you have to replace the textures too.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 21, 2022

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Raytracing simulates light interacting with materials, you're probably going to have to replace the textures with basically anything that isn't using physically based rendering.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

What's confusing about wanting to kiss hot anime boy?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

pseudorandom name posted:

Raytracing simulates light interacting with materials, you're probably going to have to replace the textures with basically anything that isn't using physically based rendering.

I'm quite aware of that; but some of what they showed off in that video included the original textures with properties like specularity and emissiveness which strongly suggests that you don't need to use the AI upscaling thing to make PBR materials.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You may not be upscaling but you still have to infer the properties of the material somehow.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Skippy McPants posted:

If your penis is able to form a question mark to show its confusion, you may need a medical expert.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Drakenel posted:

If your penis is able to form a question mark to show its confusion, you may need a medical expert.

What if they're a dolphin?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

What if they're a dolphin?

I had not considered the possibility.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
If your penis is able to form the shape of a dolphin, that may actually be more concerning.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Drakenel posted:

I mean, they're pretty flexible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppetry_of_the_Penis

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

pseudorandom name posted:

You may not be upscaling but you still have to infer the properties of the material somehow.

The only part that needs to be done by computer is the normal mapping; nvidia has had a tool for autogenerating normal maps for quite a long time which produces middling results. I assume the roughness, metallicity, etc are all input by hand.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This is pretty cool, putting an MSG3 style camera into MGS2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPsGTdWGZLc

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Skippy McPants posted:

Sometimes they're confused like haha where would you even kiss them?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Sometimes they're confused like haha where would you even kiss them?

Ahh, yes, the confusion of choice paralysis. That makes sense.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnd2dTnPLU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiuQVPT3sps

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykdgMi2FmVM

"How about I turn enemies into a piece of meat? How about I turn myself into a piece of meat?"

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://thatchers-techbase.github.io/

Definitely awesome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

what if the soviet union had fellbeasts

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 29, 2022

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Well, some communist censors felt that Mordor was caricature of Soviet Union, so it's fitting.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Wasn't there...you reminded me there was a planned Eye Of Sauron art exhibit that was dropped.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sov...chrome&ie=UTF-8

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dwesa posted:

Well, some communist censors felt that Mordor was caricature of Soviet Union, so it's fitting.

Learn something new every day!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Leal posted:

Learn something new every day!

For a fun take on this, find yourself a copy of “The Last Ringbearer,” a Russian story about what happens after the Lord of the Rings. It treats LOTR as fantasy-NATO propaganda and tries to find dignity in the collapse of the noble Mordor empire after being perfidiously struck down by Ronald Reagan- err, Gandalf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I was reminded that there was an effort* to install a giant, life-size, functioning** eye of sauron in a Russian city's skyline

*could have been one guy tbh
**I guess it just moves kinda

now I am going to check how many eye of sauron mods there are for skyrim