Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lady Radia posted:

where are you from? no, i mean, where are you from originally? no, i mean, where are your parents from? no, i mean, where is your family from? no, i mean, what language do you speak? no, i mean,

are you ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Andrast posted:

are you ok?

i think games is the 2nd best video game internet forum that exists but it sucks when the games industry thread is inundated with posters debating ethnicity and trying to ninja edit "OHHH NO I MEANT THIS IS OFF TOPIC YEA" rather than actually discussing the very serious and deep issues in the gaming industry. ffs, this thread started discussing how blizzard is literally stuffed to the brim with sex pests, and yeah it was a lil doompostery but knowing just how much the execs were going to the mat to defend the sex pests did matter, and did inform folks of what was going on.

now folks are literally saying this streamer is a racist from this video, hoping no one would watch the video, and other posters are saying u cant be puerto rican if ur from milwaukee. that sucks, op

sorry. i know u posted that to try to patronizingly dismiss me but those are my thoughts.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Lady Radia posted:

i think games is the 2nd best video game internet forum that exists but it sucks when the games industry thread is inundated with posters debating ethnicity and trying to ninja edit "OHHH NO I MEANT THIS IS OFF TOPIC YEA" rather than actually discussing the very serious and deep issues in the gaming industry. ffs, this thread started discussing how blizzard is literally stuffed to the brim with sex pests, and yeah it was a lil doompostery but knowing just how much the execs were going to the mat to defend the sex pests did matter, and did inform folks of what was going on.

now folks are literally saying this streamer is a racist from this video, hoping no one would watch the video, and other posters are saying u cant be puerto rican if ur from milwaukee. that sucks, op

sorry. i know u posted that to try to patronizingly dismiss me but those are my thoughts.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
did they say that

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

:pwn:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
youre not wrong that this thread kind of sucks and "dunkey is starting a publishing agency" was probably not a topic for it, but also wildly misinterpreting a completely innocuous post

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

okay, i see what you're saying, but i was only relaying what i saw on wikipedia, and wikipedia doesn't say anything other than that he's from milwaukee. i wasn't trying to imply that people from milwaukee can only be white. i was just answering the first part of that person's question. i don't know what his ethnicity is or why it's relevant to his getting into game publishing. i don't know why that guy asked the question in the first place, because i didn't watch the video (as is clear i'm not a dunkey fan), so idk if it's something he brings up in the video or what. maybe that poster was being weird. i at least understand where you're coming from now

can we get back to industry talk now? and yes this is a ninja edit

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ok now that's cleared up let's move on from dunky. Thanks everyone.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

someone implying if u were from milwaukee it means ur definitely white is. incredible. just awe-inspiring

i know at least four milwaukeeites and if any of rich, mike, jay, or wizard is poc i will eat a copy of nukie

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MOD POST

First off, let's all calm down. No more attacks on other posters, please.

Second, no move talking about Dunkey unless something more relevant to this thread surfaces.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Youtubers getting into publishing just seems like the video game version of rich socialites becoming movie producers. If it can get money into the hands of talented developers, I won't complain.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
To keep things relevant let's see how other youtube networks turned publishers have gone using Game Data Crunch:

Yogscast Games
8 Games on Steam (1 Unreleased)
Caveblazers (2017) Very Positive from 2,671 Reviews. Current Price: 0.99 USD
Brunch Club (2019) Mixed from 29 Reviews. Current Price: 1.19 USD
Landlord's Super (2020) Very Positive from 795 Reviews. Current Price: 15.99 USD
Drink More Glurp (2020) Very Positive from 102 Reviews. Current Price: 0.99 USD
Helheim Hassle (2020) Very Positive from 118 Reviews. Current Price: 1.99 USD
Trolley Problem Inc (2022) Mixed from 527 Reviews. Current Price: 7.14 USD
Golfie (2022) Very Positive from 68 Reviews. Current Price: 14.39 USD
Plate Up! (2022) Overwhelmingly Positive from 2,553 Reviews. Current Price: 14.39 USD
Startenders (unreleased scheduled for 2022/2023)

Game Grumps
2 Games on Steam
Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator (2017) Very Positive from 4,559 Reviews. Current Price: 14.99 USD
Soviet Jump Game (2020) Very Positive from 1,428 Reviews. Current Price: Free but there's a founders pack and DLC.

Screenwave Media
8 Games on Steam (2 Unreleased)
Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures (2013) Very Positive from 2,542 Reviews. Current Price: 4.99 USD
Angry Video Game Nerd II: ASSimilation (2016) Very Positive from 634 Reviews. Current Price: 9.99 USD
Use Your Words (2017) Very Positive from 603 Reviews. Current Price: 14.99 USD
Meme Machine (2018) 9 Reviews. Current Price: 4.99 USD
Eagle Island Twist (2019) Mostly Positive from 87 Reviews. Current Price: 12.99 USD
Angry Video Game Nerd I & II Deluxe (2020) Very Positive from 413 Reviews. Current Price: 14.99 USD
Dumpy and Bumpy (2021) Positive from 24 Reviews. Current Price: 4.99 USD
LOVE 3 (2021) Very Positive from 51 Reviews. Current Price: 9.99 USD
Lume and the Shifting Void (Unreleased)
Iron Meat (Unreleased)

Rooster Teeth Games
2 Games on Steam (1 Removed From Sale)
Disorder (2015) Mostly Positive from 71 Reviews. Current Price: 3.99 USD
RWBY: Grimm Eclipse (2016) Very Positive from 9,720 Reviews. Current Price: 19.99 USD
Vicious Circle (2019) Mixed from 258 Reviews. Current Price: NOT FOR SALE

There maybe some others I'm missing but lol it looks like Dunkey has his work cut out for him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Youtubers getting into publishing just seems like the video game version of rich socialites becoming movie producers. If it can get money into the hands of talented developers, I won't complain.
the issue is a lot of the more aggro game youtubers have a very 'particular' audience and have aggressively positioned themselves against the current game industry or game journalists. now, making fun of kotaku is well and good, but it seems like a drama fire waiting to happen if he ever puts his name on a bad game.

the way he talks also makes it seem like he isnt really interested in just, putting some money on there and getting his logo on the start. he talks about 'input' and 'feedback' and 'the reach of his name.' there's definite 'paying in exposure' vibes. he definitely seems like someone who could very easily underestimate the cost of indie development.

he also seems different from those other youtube game publishing companies in that the way he talks makes it seem more like he wants to approach devs who already have promising devs in the works and offer his help, rather than anything ground up built for his 'company.' frankly i dont think he is actually going to make a company.

edit: also people need to learn to say that they just dont like youtubers because they think theyre unfunny assholes with dumb opinions. thats fine. you can do that. you dont have to make it more than that.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 22, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
It's very very hard to tell how good a game will be just from looking at it in development, there's a lot of indie publishers who have more experience, money, and connections than dunkey, dunkey gets millions of views but the dunkey bump does not seem huge (hope he has other plans for publicity) and lmao his indie recs tend to be the hottest games on the market so it's impossible to tell if he's bumping them at all (the only one I could see that wouldn't be covered anywhere else was Slap City and it wasn't even in his "I'm becoming a publisher" vid).

There's no compelling reason to go to Dunkey even if he approaches you, if Devolver or Annapurna are sniffing around. Hell even Yogscast Games might be a better choice now that they've produced a minor indie hit in Plate Up!.

He's 100% going to endorse a bad game or something mid at best.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 22, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

please. please shut u p about dunkey.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Stux posted:

please. please shut u p about dunkey.

watching a big youtuber fall flat on his face trying to be a publisher will be funny

edit: and to keep it relevant to the thread will be an object lesson in the difficulties of indie game publishing

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 22, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Or maybe only talk about Dunkey if you actually watch his content instead of just making up completely wrong poo poo based on guesses about his “audience” that you’ve just conjured up whole cloth from nothing but a guess about what you think their audience might be like.

Real freak hall monitor poo poo going on ITT

FTR a major gaming YouTuber with 7 million subs opening a publishing studio for Indie Games is Games Industry News and we should be allowed to Discuss it ITT, but whatever the gently caress is happening here isn’t constructive or mature conversation at all, it’s mudflinging and heresay.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 22, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

shut the hf uck up!!! die!!!!!!!!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Second, no move talking about Dunkey unless something more relevant to this thread surfaces.

NikkolasKing posted:

NikkolasKing posted:

NikkolasKing posted:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

2x mods have already ruled it irrelevant - please stop talking about dunkey, there's another thread elsewhere for it, ty and gb

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

shut the hf uck up!!! die!!!!!!!!!!

after reading the bust rodd post id like to formally apologize for also talking about dunkey

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Endorph posted:

bust rodd

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

loving Christ the shitposting is way more obnoxious than the stupid loving YouTuber tangent

If it's so goddamn important to you people that things not slip off topic even a tiny bit maybe consider shutting the gently caress up yourselves and using the report feature instead of crowding the door to be first person to post whatever dumbshit spam you think passes for a witty dunk. Some of us actually want poo poo that's worth reading.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thread is closed for now. I requested people post better three pages ago, Metis and Nikkolas posted on this very page people to stick to the topic, and it still failed to happen.

If anything important industry related happens then PM me and I will open it again.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Stadia is dead! Seems like important industry news to me.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

actually i think this is more interesting/important

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1575464257831030786

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Stadia is dead! Seems like important industry news to me.

Long live Stadia!

Stadia stays winning.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Stux posted:

Jesus Christ. I know a ton of bad poo poo about Nintendo just came out but I guess they’re still getting away with it.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Here's the official Google blog post about it. I'm honestly pretty surprised by this, especially given how much Google ran with "we are 100% not shutting down Stadia and will stand by it forever" when they first launched it. I mean, I figured it would eventually get turned down, but the fact that they announced it less than three years after launch is wild.

At least they are refunding all hardware and software purchases, though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Radia posted:

Jesus Christ. I know a ton of bad poo poo about Nintendo just came out but I guess they’re still getting away with it.

they dont say the word crunch you see, therefore...

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And :blizz: just announced today that the next WoW expansion is launching two months from now.

…Which puts them on a trajectory to have the world first race for the first raid’s hardest difficulty happen right around Christmas for the second expansion in a row.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Regalingualius posted:

And :blizz: just announced today that the next WoW expansion is launching two months from now.

…Which puts them on a trajectory to have the world first race for the first raid’s hardest difficulty happen right around Christmas for the second expansion in a row.

You're telling me a video game developer has announced an intent to release a game? Get Schreier on the phone.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Stux posted:

it sucks so bad that there are companies like nintendo that have such an immense reputation that it takes far too long for any misdoing to come to light. if a company has a massively positive reputation, it takes way too much effort to expose the ways they are bad. it isn't really something that's just about big companies either, i remember People Make Games made a video about indie darlings who treated their employees like poo poo despite making all the noise about being better than big companies.

i'm pretty sure there have been a few times where there's been allegations nintendo of america has been poo poo to qa people etc., but those incidents didn't stay in the news cycle for very long.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
"Asking leadership about unions" seems like the last thing you'd want to do when trying to organize a workplace, no?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Regalingualius posted:

What does this have to do with anything

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

"Asking leadership about unions" seems like the last thing you'd want to do when trying to organize a workplace, no?

yeah, that would be like the sheep asking the wolf for advice on self defense. Nintendos still poo poo though

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Is asking around the office about unions smart? Probably not! Is it illegal to fire someone for asking around the office about unions? Yep!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SpiritOfLenin posted:

it sucks so bad that there are companies like nintendo that have such an immense reputation that it takes far too long for any misdoing to come to light. if a company has a massively positive reputation, it takes way too much effort to expose the ways they are bad. it isn't really something that's just about big companies either, i remember People Make Games made a video about indie darlings who treated their employees like poo poo despite making all the noise about being better than big companies.

i'm pretty sure there have been a few times where there's been allegations nintendo of america has been poo poo to qa people etc., but those incidents didn't stay in the news cycle for very long.

theres probably more noise about nintendo in japan if anywhere however, i do not know fo r sure.

mutata posted:

Is asking around the office about unions smart? Probably not! Is it illegal to fire someone for asking around the office about unions? Yep!

th8is,.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

mutata posted:

being sneaky in the office about it with fellow workers is fine at some level. but going straight to management isn’t the best idea

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

biceps crimes posted:

being sneaky in the office about it with fellow workers is fine at some level. but going straight to management isn’t the best idea

Yes, I said this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s ok they didn’t get fired for asking about unions. They got fired for other reasons.