Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

why? is it drowning out all the rest of the valuable commentary people are making on webcomics

To me it feels like something where the point has been made and repeating it isn't really interesting or meaningful and thus ends up being just a bummer to read. Especially since that particular view tends to be accompanied with some levels of "looks like the Anime Defender has logged on :smug:" attitude if someone responds to it. But I don't really think it has been flooding the thread or has even overall been all that common recently, just something that irks me that I wanted to voice even as an aside. (And to repeat, not liking whatever style is totally OK)

E: not the best page snipe, so have a Perry Bible Fellowship

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Sep 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I would like it if people in this thread felt comfortable criticizing the comics being posted. Including mine! Hugboxes are boring and it wasnt even a lol anime comment the character art for that page is legit off,

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Boba Pearl posted:

I would like it if people in this thread felt comfortable criticizing the comics being posted. Including mine! Hugboxes are boring and it wasnt even a lol anime comment the character art for that page is legit off,
Your comic looks revolting and every time I see it toxic bile begins to wait hang on I have just received important news regarding the power state of my monitor.

e: seriouspost visually your comic is not for me but I'm pretty sure it's a me thing. It looks very pretty but I am absolutely incapable of parsing it.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 15:21 on Sep 22, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah anything to stop the thread being silent walls of images is good.

that said,

forming
340-the current last page

last time: mithras crashed into angru mainyu, killing him. from the rubble, emerges

so... that's it, really. the current comic sort of ends with Hedrigall showing up in the thread and ruining everything for everyone. this was of course forshadowed ten years ago, but there you go

there was a new page uploaded a few weeks ago, which seems to pick up the serapis storyline again

but it's slow going, and i'm going to stop posting the comic now that we're in realtime. that's it! that's the end! no moral!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I can't comment on your comic Boba as it's not my thing, I am very happy you got a creative outlet that people like.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Well that definitely ended as "I'm coming... I don't understand but I'm coming"

The Saddest Rhino has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Sep 22, 2022

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Emzedoh posted:

In this update, our hero confronts breakfast and finds a lead.

Glasgow was rough back in the day. It's much nicer now and it's the premier place to see gigs in Scotland. I don't live there but I visit quite often and it's great.

Lmao at the buckfast eggs. Absolutely revolting.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Chas McGill posted:

Glasgow was rough back in the day. It's much nicer now and it's the premier place to see gigs in Scotland. I don't live there but I visit quite often and it's great.

Lmao at the buckfast eggs. Absolutely revolting.

I mean, let's not get too lionizing; there's still a dreadful amount of poverty around the place. But you're much less likely to be stabbed to death for wearing green/blue in the wrong pub now.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
"anime is bad" isn't criticism, it's just a meme, and a dumb one repeated endlessly by dumb people with nothing substantive to say. It doesn't contribute anything or provide any interesting perspective, it's just a reflexive kneejerk by people who somehow never have the same criticisms for Western art and animation that falls into the same tropes or has the same characteristics, for some reason :thunk:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

correct - anyone who doesn't like anime is a racist

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
No, but anyone who can't help constantly reminding everyone that they don't like it every time it comes up probably is to some degree.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

correct - anyone who doesn't like anime is a racist

Hmm yes anime is blood

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

No, but anyone who can't help constantly reminding everyone that they don't like it every time it comes up probably is to some degree.
What if you watch an extremely limited amount of anime because even in loving one punch man the only prominent female character is a definitely not 12 year old flashing constant upskirts so while yes the anime is blood hyperbole is a bit OTT you do have to admit that most manga and anime that reaches mainstream attention manages to outskeeve western media, which is a hell of an achievement?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Comics

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Samovar posted:

I mean, let's not get too lionizing; there's still a dreadful amount of poverty around the place. But you're much less likely to be stabbed to death for wearing green/blue in the wrong pub now.

It also rains all the loving time.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

My search for some good comic to stop this argument had failed, now I'm full of hate. Here's something to make you all hate too.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Splicer posted:

What if you watch an extremely limited amount of anime because even in loving one punch man the only prominent female character is a definitely not 12 year old flashing constant upskirts so while yes the anime is blood hyperbole is a bit OTT you do have to admit that most manga and anime that reaches mainstream attention manages to outskeeve western media, which is a hell of an achievement?

That's a valid complaint and a topic to discuss in general, but nobody's posted anything like that itt and the current discussion was started by the observation that a comic character had simplified and stylized facial features in juxtaposition with a highly detailed background, something that's common to comic art all around the world, so what you're talking about isn't really relevant in this case and it's not even what's being talked about most of the time anyone decides to bring it up itt anyway.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Splicer posted:

My man someone just posted a comic where a man gets anally raped by his son who has just become a lion man and nobody batted an eye

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

That's a valid complaint and a topic to discuss in general, but nobody's posted anything like that itt and the current discussion was started by the observation that a comic character had simplified and stylized facial features in juxtaposition with a highly detailed background, something that's common to comic art all around the world, so what you're talking about isn't really relevant in this case and it's not even what's being talked about most of the time anyone decides to bring it up itt anyway.
I'm mainly venting tbh.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if anyone got titillated by the lion incident then i think the recent spree of permabans missed someone

lol

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

if anyone got titillated by the lion incident then i think the recent spree of permabans missed someone
Hedrigall only got probed

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
oh god, fine, no more picking fun at poo poo anymore just so we can avoid this

it's still funny though

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Someone made a criticism of a particular panel that was uncharacteristically abstract and/or bad and the anime likers all came out of the woodwork to defend it. People can laugh at art fails without it being a condemnation of entire cultures or even artists (Mori is easily the most technically skilled artist that gets posted here and even her stylized faces are usually rendered with much more care, which is part of what makes that panel so weird/funny), I don't see why Japanese art needs to be sacrosanct to appease butthurt fans.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: God stays on the ceiling like a freak, and Joost grabs a nearby spear and prepares to fight!

Read right to left:

Chapter 14 - God is in Part 3

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Samovar posted:

That's the done thing back home!

And if you think THAT'S weird, you should consider my hometown of Linlithgow. Specifically, you should Google 'What are people from Linlithgow called'.

I'm gonna go to Twat, Scotland.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

the holy poopacy posted:

Someone made a criticism of a particular panel that was uncharacteristically abstract and/or bad and the anime likers all came out of the woodwork to defend it. People can laugh at art fails without it being a condemnation of entire cultures or even artists (Mori is easily the most technically skilled artist that gets posted here and even her stylized faces are usually rendered with much more care, which is part of what makes that panel so weird/funny), I don't see why Japanese art needs to be sacrosanct to appease butthurt fans.
It's the exact opposite problem--criticisms of Asian art styles are treated as representative of the whole, which is why "anime is bad" is such a repetitive and constant meme, and any response to a criticism or to someone's slack-jawed "anime is bad" is automatically treated as over-defensiveness of Japanese art by weebs, no matter what the actual response is. You're doing it right now, treating my responses as though I'm saying "Japanese art needs to be sacrosanct" when all I've been saying is "anime is bad" is a tired meme that contributes nothing. If someone has something substantive to say they should say it, instead of leaning on a tired old racist meme, or acting like anyone with a different opinion is treating "Japanese art" like it needs to be "sacrosanct."

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

By popular demand posted:

I can't comment on your comic Boba as it's not my thing, I am very happy you got a creative outlet that people like.

I'm just happy to have an outlet whether people like it or not. Like I still want to hear negative opinions and grow, but nothing has had quite a positive effect on my mood and mental health as throwing all of my energy into a creative project.

Splicer posted:

Your comic looks revolting and every time I see it toxic bile begins to wait hang on I have just received important news regarding the power state of my monitor.

e: seriouspost visually your comic is not for me but I'm pretty sure it's a me thing. It looks very pretty but I am absolutely incapable of parsing it.
Yeah, absolutely, I'm working on it, but it's a DENSE piece of material that I really need to learn how to parcel out.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lol

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

This is a fairly imprecise description of the discussion thus far and no-one has called for Japanese art (or any other) to be sacrosanct or otherwise beyond criticism. These things can be discussed (and the discussion meta-discussed) without jumping to this kind of useless hyperbole; i.e. what Thunderbeast said.

EDIT: But the discussion now doesn't really feel like it's leading anywhere so I think I won't post on the topic more after this unless something unusual happens

Anyway, the idea of posting Perry Bible Fellowship struck me as a fun idea, let's post some more:

Perry Bible Fellowship

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Sep 22, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

insanely undetailed faces. get that poo poo outta here

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

insanely undetailed faces. get that poo poo outta here

I'm extremely tired of the "stick figures are blood" meme :mad:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

It's the exact opposite problem--criticisms of Asian art styles are treated as representative of the whole, which is why "anime is bad" is such a repetitive and constant meme, and any response to a criticism or to someone's slack-jawed "anime is bad" is automatically treated as over-defensiveness of Japanese art by weebs, no matter what the actual response is. You're doing it right now, treating my responses as though I'm saying "Japanese art needs to be sacrosanct" when all I've been saying is "anime is bad" is a tired meme that contributes nothing. If someone has something substantive to say they should say it, instead of leaning on a tired old racist meme, or acting like anyone with a different opinion is treating "Japanese art" like it needs to be "sacrosanct."

A specific criticism of a specific panel was made and several people came in complaining about "anime is bad" memes in response, so I'm going to call it like I see it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

my favourite pbf meme is people not getting the joke of the comic. i'm not sure where it started but it was amazing stuff

kinda like

"i don't get it, where did the original skinny guy go and why did they replace him in the lineup with a fat man"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I don't remember exactly how or when it started, just that it started from a genuinely clueless goon or two who didn't get what was happening in one of the PBFs, causing a minor derail for a page or two. Then it happened a second time, and the meme was born

That was an amazingly funny period of PYF comics

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Your comic’s colors still really don’t work. The lack of pop and contrast makes everything really muddy and not pleasant to look at.

You have a lot of unused space in your comic, and panel composition is deeply boring.

Your characters still look very stiff—you don’t do a very good job communicating motion. That and the colors are the primary things that keep your comic looking amateurish. Your characters in the group shot all look traced from a model, which is exacerbating the problem. It all seems amateurish.

The trans flag colors in your speech balloons combine with the font and make the text hard to read.

I posted all of Old Man of the Underworld, my standards aren’t demanding, but all of these flaws are major barriers keeping me from reading your comic and need to be improved

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

the holy poopacy posted:

A specific criticism of a specific panel was made and several people came in complaining about "anime is bad" memes in response, so I'm going to call it like I see it.

The same people made the same criticism of Mori that they always do—that they don’t like the manga style faces with the more detailed art. It’s not a new criticism, it’s the same posters going “ugh anime” when hyper-detailed backgrounds and simple character faces is common not only in manga but in European comics as well.

When you separate the posters itt into “anime likers” and “everyone else” you already have a problem

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

here's my insanely aggressive screed against a colourblind artist. anyway, it's people not liking anime enough that's the problem itt

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I think there's officially been more discussion of whether people disliked the comic correctly or pushed back on the comment correctly than there was actual discussion of the panel in question lol. It was like, 2 comments about not liking the panel, 2 about not liking those comments, and a then about page about if those interactions were reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Squidster posted:

Spectral Wizard
Chap 2.5 16-24 of 24

Spectral Wizard
Chap 4 1-8 of 82