Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I meant to post this much closer to the start of the hurricane season. I kept forgetting because this has been a relatively quiet season, but things are starting to ramp up now. So here is your annual thread to nerd out about weather and watch crazy people try to weather category 5 hurricanes live on the internet.

The 2022 Atlantic hurricane season began on 6/1 and ends on 11/30.

NOAA hurricane tracker: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Here are all the storm names for this year. Bolded names are storms that already formed.

Alex (Tropical Storm)
Bonnie (Tropical Storm)
Colin (Tropical Storm)
Danielle (Hurricane)
Earl (Hurricane)
Fiona (Hurricane)
Gaston (Tropical Storm)
Hermine (Tropical Storm)
Ian (Hurricane)
Julia (Tropical Storm)
Karl (Tropical Storm)
Lisa
Martin
Nicole
Owen
Paula
Richard
Shary
Tobias
Virginie
Walter

Fiona was the most significant storm so far, leaving millions in Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic without power or running water. Fiona is currently a category 4 hurricane and is headed for Atlantic Canada.

Hopefully it weakens as it moves over cooler water!

There is also concern about a system in the southeastern Caribbean Sea, which is system #1 on this map.

It looks like this system has a good chance to form as it trends west-northwest across the Caribbean sea and towards the gulf of Mexico.

So that's where we stand so far. Godspeed to any goons dealing with the fallout from Fiona, or who are hunkering down as it approaches Canada.

Ehud fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Fiona but no Shrek.

Shameful.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the big models seem to agree hermine is lookin to gently caress with the gulf of mexico early next week, and it could get pretty strong if it sneaks in between mexico and cuba on its way there

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hermine sounds like a fake name for a fake storm.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm horny for hermine

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

goatface posted:

Hermine sounds like a fake name for a fake storm.

I have "Ian" as the least scary hurricane name this season. Please don't quote this if Ian ends up being a Cat 5 storm that kills thousands.

also lol that there is a Tobias this year

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Why no hurricane Zardoz

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol at Virginie

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Wtf is Shary

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Can we just start adopting modern names people give to their kids for hurricanes? I wanna be severely impoverished and possibly killed by hurricane Daenerys or like Malfoy

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it’s a typo, ‘Y’ is right next to ‘T’ on the keyboard

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Bad Purchase posted:

it’s a typo, ‘Y’ is right next to ‘T’ on the keyboard

Ah yes tropical storm shart

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I'm going to avoid a direct hit from Fiona but I have family who live in Halifax :smith:

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

Fiona is messing with the weather where I'm at and yet it is quite far off from my local coastline. I feel so bad for anyone who has been or will be hit by this thing

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
We're in Halifax and are done with the crazy shopping. Long lines, emptying shelves, traffic is nuts, etc. I think we're set (plenty of wine, bourbon, beer, snacky food, ice, water). Just hope we don't get any flooding in our house or trees falling on it.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Yaldabaoth posted:

I'm going to avoid a direct hit from Fiona but I have family who live in Halifax :smith:

From what I’ve read Halifax is juuuust missing the direct hit, and it’ll likely be a bit under Dorian wind wise. Anyone on the east coast of NS is probably in for a dicey Saturday morning though from the storm surge, and Cape Breton gonna get hosed up.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Last hurricane to hit Nova Scotia knocked over a construction crane in downtown Halifax, Fiona is way stronger and there are dozens of them standing right now. Should be an experience!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Seems odd to me that we scientifically know what conditions create these destructive events, but we are powerless to change it. Can’t we Seed the clouds with Gak foam or something so it breaks up the energy?

Maybe trump was right and we need to bomb the storm? Let’s figure this out goons.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

It's about scale, a single nuke is like spitting into a bathtub.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's about scale, a single nuke is like spitting into a bathtub.

so what you're saying is, assuming the average bathtub holds 80 gallons of water and the average spit weighs about 3 grams, or about 0.101 ounces, that we'd need about 105,527 nukes

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Mozi posted:

so what you're saying is, assuming the average bathtub holds 80 gallons of water and the average spit weighs about 3 grams, or about 0.101 ounces, that we'd need about 105,527 nukes

Yes. Nuke it with everything we got, it's the only way to be sure

Also what kinda pathetic spits are 3 grams, you should be able to work up at least a tablespoon!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

saharan dust is the key to suppressing storms. don’t waste time nuking storms, just nuke the west coast of northern africa. probably one 50 MT detonation every 3 days from mid july to mid november would be sufficient.

of course, some storms start in the southern caribbean or gulf of mexico, so you may need to add the yucatan and east texas into the nuke sites.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Bro you don't want a sandstorm. They can be very dangerous, and the sand is coarse and gets everywhere

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it’s dust not sand, completely different stuff

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Do we have non-nuclear bombs that have enough force to affect a storm of this size? And maybe we don’t need as many as you think, if we deployed them from drones in a funnel like rotation we could cancel the wind out like Superman reversing the rotation of the earth or something.

What about magnets? They’re pretty strong.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Build huge off shore wind farms that sap energy from hurricanes like thousands of wretched mosquitoes trying to kill a horse:

https://news.stanford.edu/news/2014/february/hurricane-winds-turbine-022614.html

some smartey man posted:

The researchers simulated three hurricanes: Sandy and Isaac, which struck New York and New Orleans, respectively, in 2012; and Katrina, which devastated New Orleans in 2005.

"We found that when wind turbines are present, they slow down the outer rotation winds of a hurricane," Jacobson said. "This feeds back to decrease wave height, which reduces movement of air toward the center of the hurricane, increasing the central pressure, which in turn slows the winds of the entire hurricane and dissipates it faster."

In the case of Katrina, Jacobson's model revealed that an array of 78,000 wind turbines off the coast of New Orleans would have significantly weakened the hurricane well before it made landfall.

In the computer model, by the time Hurricane Katrina reached land, its simulated wind speeds had decreased by 36-44 meters per second (between 80 and 98 mph) and the storm surge had decreased by up to 79 percent.

For Hurricane Sandy, the model projected a wind speed reduction by 35-39 meters per second (between 78 and 87 mph) and as much as 34 percent decrease in storm surge.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hurricanes are something like 10 miles high, lol at thinking wind turbines are gonna absorb a noticeable fraction of the energy in the vortex

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Here’s a perspective you don’t often get to see :stare:

https://twitter.com/grantwtsp/status/1573041942472146946?s=46&t=McAdvUHMtmn53qWNjSElKg

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Fabulousity posted:

Build huge off shore wind farms that sap energy from hurricanes like thousands of wretched mosquitoes trying to kill a horse:

https://news.stanford.edu/news/2014/february/hurricane-winds-turbine-022614.html

Whoops all Turbines!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

You just need one giant turbine that dips into the atmosphere from space like a space ferris wheel

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Yessss my name is up there :kheldragar:

girl befriender
Sep 22, 2014

by vyelkin

Jenny of Oldstones posted:

We're in Halifax and are done with the crazy shopping. Long lines, emptying shelves, traffic is nuts, etc. I think we're set (plenty of wine, bourbon, beer, snacky food, ice, water). Just hope we don't get any flooding in our house or trees falling on it.

ficus trees tip over like you wouldn't believe. any moderate size ficus around you is a major hazard.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ehud posted:

Hermine
Ian
Julia
Karl
Lisa
Martin
Nicole
Owen
Paula
Richard
Shary
Tobias
Virginie
Walter

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Still no hurricane with my name :colbert:

Apparently there was a typhoon Caitlin though and it actually saved lives :3:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yessss my name is up there :kheldragar:

look closely, it ends with “ie”. not quite the same.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

No hurricane Bort, bad year

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Getting hosed by Fiona this weekend. Going to take her hot wet 8 inches all day Saturday. Will be a blast, I bet.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This atmosphere is thirsty!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Latest updates.

The Caribbean system is still very uncertain.

Fiona should reach Canada late tonight.

https://twitter.com/nhc_atlantic/status/1573243647155646464?s=46&t=WfreKHSaQSJoQuqiZoWGXA

https://twitter.com/nhc_atlantic/status/1573244077906497537?s=46&t=WfreKHSaQSJoQuqiZoWGXA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yum!
I love Atlantic Hurricane Seasoning, great on potato wedges, wings, you name it!!