Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just read a bunch of stuff about Door County, Wisconsin on Wikipedia and I'm very intrigued by the place for some reason. Can anyone tell me anything about it? I've never been to Wisconsin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
A few times when I was a kid. I remember there being lots of mini-golf courses which I never got to play at because my parents were cheap. Can't give you more than that because I was five and this was more than thirty years ago.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Soda's okay

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
One More Door

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

door county over here

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

why don't you tell us what intrigues you so much about it, OP

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

cherries

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

i think there was a joke in the "Incredible Melting Man" episode of MST3K where they reference dried apple heads and Door County, that's about all I got

naem
May 29, 2011

I’ll have you know tha t traverse city, michicgan, is the cherry capital of the world

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

door city over here heh

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

why don't you tell us what intrigues you so much about it, OP

It just seems oddly mysterious to me. A mysterious place I might want to visit.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Island Orchard cider from Door county fuckin rules, almost would start drinkin again to taste that stuff

lots of tourist trap bullshit up dere though.

probably understaffed everywhere this season since the boomers hit Door County hard and the help can't afford to live there anymore/don't want to deal with those hogs

Door County is absolutely beautiful. some real sick sunsets.

Like the Upper Peninsula it doesn't like get cold cold around this time, but the whole area gets that bleak vibe going pretty much right when August ends, imo. moody great lakes skies and windy

it still has its tourists peaks but take the ferry to Washington Island, which is only accessible via ferry, to maybe get away from the crowds a bit further. and then from there take another small little ferry to Rock Island, an island with no cars or even bikes allowed

honestly OP, i shouldn't even be sharing this secret, but if you're coming to Wisconsin check out the Driftless Region instead.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i posted this county in Americana.jpg at some point. all i remember is they had big boiling pots of crabs or something. well enjoy

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've never been there but I absolutely want to go. It's beautiful and fish boils are a big thing. As far as I know it's tradition to throw a bunch of fuel on after a while to get it to all boil over.

I have a feeling Big Beef City has been there. He's much closer to there than I am.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

i posted this county in Americana.jpg at some point. all i remember is they had big boiling pots of crabs or something. well enjoy

We don't have crabs here. :)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've never been there but I absolutely want to go. It's beautiful and fish boils are a big thing. As far as I know it's tradition to throw a bunch of fuel on after a while to get it to all boil over.

I have a feeling Big Beef City has been there. He's much closer to there than I am.

oh yeah lmao its a fish boil :doh:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Pennywise the Frown posted:

We don't have crabs here. :)

BBC is from Wisconsin and he absolutely 100% has crabs.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Not gonna argue that.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Despite the name, Door Country isn't actually the home of famous rock band The Doors.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Thanks to this thread, I have now seen something on google maps that I've never seen before. I was trying to see what was so interesting about Door County and clicked around on streetview and just stumbled across it.

Go to https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3412472,-86.940509,21z, then go to streetview on that road. I found it was a bit inconsistent and you might have to move around a bit before the view of the google car changes.

Spoilers for people who don't want to click through or can't get it to work:

I don't know how they did it, but someone is promoting their YouTube channel in the image data captured by the google car:

I've already reported it to Google and it was from a recent streetview photo, too. I won't be shocked if this is rolled back to the previous version a bit quickly.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i guess the other interesting thing with Door County going back is it functioned as a big vacation outlet for Chicago back in the 1900s.

974 acre Rock Island was entirely the vacation spot for an Icelandic inventor named Thordarson, who had patents for transformers & inductors and a gently caress ton of dough. just the whole drat island to himself

and then i guess the prohibition party crowd and the likes of Al Capone went up there as well

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I saw the Google Streetview car parked at a steakhouse the other day. That's my story

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
IS IT NEXT TO WINDOW COUNTY??? :haw:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

no, it's close to knob creek though

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

20 Blunts posted:

i guess the other interesting thing with Door County going back is it functioned as a big vacation outlet for Chicago back in the 1900s.

If you drive down by the beach here in Kenosha on a hot day there will be hundreds of cars parked around and most of them will be from IL.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
someone from IL told me that everyone in WI fucks the cows they love to gently caress all the cows which is why they have so many cows there

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Can neither confirm nor deny.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Nooner posted:

someone from IL told me that everyone in WI fucks the cows they love to gently caress all the cows which is why they have so many cows there

if they were yospos posters would they gently caress their computers :xd:

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Been up there a few times. My future daughter-in-law’s family lives up there. It’s beautiful. Not sure what you’re interests are, but if you’re a foodie there’s all the farmers market fare you could ever want or need in the summertime. Good fishing on Sturgeon Bay. Don’t expect tourist trap activities like you would find around The Dells as Door County isn’t built up like that. If you wanna go to a supper club and slurp down some Spotted Cow with some Packer fans though there’s plenty of that going on.

Fuckstick fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 25, 2022

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
it's jackson county but everyone should read and or watch Wisconsin Death Trip

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I don't have crabs but I am only about 40 minutes from Door county and have been many, many times.
It's very pretty.

Can be kind of tourist-trappy, but in general it's worth visiting. Very scenic.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's kinda more of a 'middle aged' tourist destination type of thing. Beautiful fall colors, amazing lake michigan shoals and shorelines, camping, that kinda thing. Great scenery. Little cafes, yadda yadda.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It looks like this. Not what you think of when you think of Wisconsin, eh?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Big Beef City posted:

Whoa! Who are those chicks, do you know them???

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

yes they are my cousins

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

it just occurred to me that i've never once thought about what wisconsin looks like, or, indeed, at all

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it just occurred to me that i've never once thought about what wisconsin looks like, or, indeed, at all

However many bars you're picturing, you're not picturing enough.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I'm guessing it's absolutely jam-packed with chud fascists

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
You know how rich people on the East Coast go to Cape Cod to enjoy nature and go antiquing?

Door County is the same thing but for Chicago.

Look up the Wisconsin Dells instead, it's much better.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

its where rich wisconsinites have cabins. ive never been, im more western wisconsin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
It's pretty nice. Parents used to have a seasonal campground site near Egg Harbor.