Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People take jokes too seriously. That poo poo was never going to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Craig could have kept the accent but just do a Truman Capote impression the whole time.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The film premiered at TIFF this weekend and seems to be reviewing pretty well so far

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
GLASS ONION SOLIDIFIES KNIVES OUT AS THE NEXT GREAT MYSTERY FRANCHISE: An early spoiler-free review of the sequel

Hype train hype train.

If you have an exceptionally expansive view of what counts as a spoiler, this review includes such spoilers as "movie good" and "specific actors especially good in movie" along with the sort of 5 word capsule description of every character that one might find in a casting sheet or infer from a trailer.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I am extremely hype.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
From the review, spoilered for anyone who wants to go in completely blind.

quote:

The film is set in 2020, and at the outset, Benoit is depressingly bored. With the pandemic raging, he spends his time in the bath playing Among Us over Zoom with his celebrity friends. So when the invitation shows up, which comes in the form of an intricate puzzle box, he jumps at the chance

God, I hope the movie opens with a full-blown reveal monologue about who the Imposter is.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sweet teaser, definitely looking forward to this.

One nitpick, I don't know what it is about trailer jokes for mainstream movies, but the Dave Bautista moments didn't land at all. And I really enjoy his match with Undertaker. Ed Norton I feel was winning the acting rear end off award, also Hahn.

I peeped Death on the Nile (1978) recently too, good stuff! Also involving a boat.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Have a clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUrK35whbL4

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SOLD.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

Sweet teaser, definitely looking forward to this.

One nitpick, I don't know what it is about trailer jokes for mainstream movies, but the Dave Bautista moments didn't land at all. And I really enjoy his match with Undertaker. Ed Norton I feel was winning the acting rear end off award, also Hahn.

I peeped Death on the Nile (1978) recently too, good stuff! Also involving a boat.

Oh good, that wasn’t just me then who thought they left the joke out of the trailer and just showed either the punchline or the setup.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’m here for The Room* movie.

*the puzzle games

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, The Room is the first thing that came to mind when I was how impossible that puzzle box is in the trailer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, The Room is the first thing that came to mind when I was how impossible that puzzle box is in the trailer.

?????

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

No, I mean the good one— err, the unironically good one.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Well, if you can’t wait until December, I just got back from watching See How They Run and it is very solid as a self-referential murder mystery than also spoofs murder mysteries (with “The Mousetrap” being the central mystery spoofed).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Speaking of not waiting until December, I forgot to post this in here:

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1578097634601930753

It's gonna be in theaters for a week in November, and tickets are already live.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
If there was ever any doubt, Johnson confirmed that Blanc is “gay, obviously.”

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is a fascinating notion, the obviously thing. I'd figure making assumptions about people's orientation was less of a thing than ever. But it's cool that the character is gay. But will he be in action on screen? Back in my fav 70s giallo thrillers the protagonist often got laid. So I say Blanc gets busy, or this is a bunch of lip service, and a bill of goods.

(This is tongue in cheek, I am okay with this man who happens to be more focused on solving murders and being cool than pursuing such romantic endeavors.)

But I really don't see why it would be obvious, unless we're playing into stereotyping or something.

edit: the context was it was a Q&A, and somebody asked about Benoit living with another guy or something, so that adds some to the quote.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 18, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It raises questions like ‘were he and Lakeith’s detective a thing while he was in town, and that’s why he got away with so much?’

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yeah, if he doesn't put it in the loving movie, he shouldn't bother confirming it.

You don't get points for whispering "queer representation" under your breath alone at the craft service table. You have to actually do the thing.

So here's hopin' he does and it isn't played as a joke. Unless that joke is Benoit correcting somebody who assumes he's straight in that way only Craig can deliver. :allears:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The context of the quote from Rian Johnson was based on a scene shown to the press that showed Benoit Blanc at home with his partner who's apparently played by a pretty big actor. The scene isn't explicit enough in that some people had to ask, but this wasn't Johnson randomly doing a JK Rowling. The context was a scene in which Johnson and Craig felt it was very clear, and that's why he said 'obviously.' It's obvious based on something the people in the room had seen.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Saw Glass Onion at a satellite London Film Festival screening on Sunday and it was great. Very funny and will probably age poorly due to how of-their-time some of the references are, but was it a great experience with a packed house.

Oh and I'm an idiot but I thought that actor was playing themselves, not playing Benoit's partner, as the scene chronologically followed another with other cameos from people playing themselves.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

New trailer! And confirmation of cinema limited engagement from Nov 23rd!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0v1Vv8d5I8

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Calling it now: this is gonna be one of those "everyone did it" stories.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I loved the “I hate Clue” bit

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Just got out of the cinema. Wow, the fact that Johnson couldn't possibly have known just how spectacularly Elon Musk would blow up when he wrote this is bordering on magical. I mean, Musk is an idiot so it's not hard to extrapolate but drat.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Just got out of the cinema. Wow, the fact that Johnson couldn't possibly have known just how spectacularly Elon Musk would blow up when he wrote this is bordering on magical. I mean, Musk is an idiot so it's not hard to extrapolate but drat.

I just got back, and yeah. It was fun, but more than that, it is an impossibly well-timed film. Really hope it does well so Johnson and Craig can do a few more of these.

Mild structural spoiler: I really like that Blanc acts more as a tone and framing device for these films' actual protagonists. Glad to see that carried on from the first movie.

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, if he doesn't put it in the loving movie, he shouldn't bother confirming it.

You don't get points for whispering "queer representation" under your breath alone at the craft service table. You have to actually do the thing.

So here's hopin' he does and it isn't played as a joke. Unless that joke is Benoit correcting somebody who assumes he's straight in that way only Craig can deliver. :allears:

To this point, it's not played as a joke, and the film makes it pretty dang overt, short of pausing the actions to stare at the fourth wall and say, "he gay."

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 24, 2022

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Are we changing the title to Glass Onion: a Knives Out Mystery. Rian Johnson's Newest Movie. Cheaper than creating a whole new title for a whole new thread...

Liked it, but it certainly had a distinct feel to contrast with Knives Out. The hourly bong composed by Phillip Glass made me think of Brian Eno composing the Windows 95 sound.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Heavy_D posted:

Liked it, but it certainly had a distinct feel to contrast with Knives Out. The hourly bong composed by Phillip Glass made me think of Brian Eno composing the Windows 95 sound.

Joseph Gordon Levitt performing the bong is one of the weirdest cameos I've encountered.

Heavy_D posted:

Cinema Discusso > Glass Onion, Rian Johnson's Newest Movie

I vote dis.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I loved it. Different from the first but still very clever and funny. I enjoyed that it was another twist in the whodunnit but different from the Knives Out twist.

I couldn't stop laughing at how easily Blanc figured out the mystery murder game before it even started. But also how he played it off like he accidentally ruined it when he was already working at solving the real murder.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

I loved it. Different from the first but still very clever and funny. I enjoyed that it was another twist in the whodunnit but different from the Knives Out twist.

I couldn't stop laughing at how easily Blanc figured out the mystery murder game before it even started. But also how he played it off like he accidentally ruined it when he was already working at solving the real murder.

His utter disdain for Bron's every attempt at cleverness was a delight.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Really enjoyed it and the theater was having a blast which made the movie super fun.

Janelle Monae literally in every single scene: fabulous :swoon:

My fave parts were Blanc already solving the original murder mystery (which I thought was just as hilarious as the donut part from the first movie), Yo-Yo Ma and Serena cameos, Ed Norton being a great wannabe Elon, and getting his Mona Lisa legacy.

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 24, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Had a blast with friends, murder mysteries are back baby!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Skippy McPants posted:

Calling it now: this is gonna be one of those "everyone did it" stories.

:wrong:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Happy to be wrong, though!

I saw a lot of parallels to Murder on the Orient Express in the pre-release stuff, and that stuff was in the movie, but it all went in a different direction. Most notably, the central rear end in a top hat who ruined the lives of all the other characters.

I love the way Johnson upends the usual master detective trope. Movie's With Mikey described Benoit Blanc as, "what if Hercule Poirot wasn't an rear end in a top hat?" and that fits perfectly. Blanc isn't as superhumanly competent as Poirot, Sherlock Holmes, Greg House, or many other characters in that milieu, but on the flip side, he isn't a complete piece of poo poo. He's vain and a bit of a drama queen, but he's also warm, friendly, and more interested in doing right, than in being right.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

In the (empty) cinema right now waiting for it to start. Well done with the spoiler use everyone!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It doesn't look like it's coming out anywhere near me :(

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Clarence posted:

In the (empty) cinema right now waiting for it to start. Well done with the spoiler use everyone!

Yeah please be rigorous in your spoiler use everyone, I generally don't care but this is one where it's a lot of fun being surprised.

I did have a fridge logic moment where the reactions of miles didn't make sense though: he knew 'Cassandra' was fake from the moment he saw her but didn't do anything about it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

YggiDee posted:

It doesn't look like it's coming out anywhere near me :(

It's gonna be on Netflix soon, it was fun on the big screen but will be just as good on tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

sebmojo posted:

I did have a fridge logic moment where the reactions of miles didn't make sense though: he knew 'Cassandra' was fake from the moment he saw her but didn't do anything about it.

He did do something, he shot her! Before that point, he couldn't reveal Hellen without outing himself as Cassandra's killer, since no one else knew she was dead.

Edit: I guess technically even he didn't know she was dead, only that he left her drugged in a closed garage with a car running.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 24, 2022