Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Stringent posted:

what other languages have you learned?

mostly latin/germanic ones, in order of ability: english (lol should be last), spanish, french, german, dutch. the last two i probably have a child's grasp on and my french is rusty though

much of that comes from chatting with people on bbs and irc btw

oh and i can read hebrew no prob but i have absolutely no clue what it actually means unless its a select few phrases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Beeftweeter posted:

mostly latin/germanic ones, in order of ability: english (lol should be last), spanish, french, german, dutch. the last two i probably have a child's grasp on and my french is rusty though

much of that comes from chatting with people on bbs and irc btw

oh and i can read hebrew no prob but i have absolutely no clue what it actually means unless its a select few phrases

i have spanish and french on my bucket list of not difficult things to do, because after learning japanese i was like lol this poo poo is piss easy.

don't mean that as poo poo talking, but asian languages are loving hard for english speakers.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'd really love to learn arabic, but i don't think i'm ever going to get that done.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Stringent posted:

i have spanish and french on my bucket list of not difficult things to do, because after learning japanese i was like lol this poo poo is piss easy.

don't mean that as poo poo talking, but asian languages are loving hard for english speakers.

yeah way back when i was in elementary school the great state of new jersey decided we should learn both without a choice, lol

they backtracked on that by the time i was in hs and i concentrated in spanish afterwards (tbh more useful here), but i can't say it wasn't helpful at all

Stringent posted:

i'd really love to learn arabic, but i don't think i'm ever going to get that done.

my parents were religious so i had to learn at least how to read hebrew, but in college i was gently caress buddies with a girl from israel and she was in the IDF. i found out the vocabulary is very similar to hebrew one night when she blacked out from drinking and shrooms and then decided to wake me up by holding a (n unloaded) gun to my head and yelling at me in arabic to comply

didn't see her much after that

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Beeftweeter posted:

my parents were religious so i had to learn at least how to read hebrew, but in college i was gently caress buddies with a girl from israel and she was in the IDF. i found out the vocabulary is very similar to hebrew one night when she blacked out from drinking and shrooms and then decided to wake me up by holding a (n unloaded) gun to my head and yelling at me in arabic to comply

holy poo poo

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

:stonk:

what the gently caress

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol yeah i peaced the gently caress out of there as soon as she passed back out and then very politely declined to hang out again

same thing happened to a buddy of mine even after i warned him but tbf she was very attractive

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Beeftweeter posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i'll be in my bunk after that one
that's a joke. there is no situation in which one may gently caress Around with a weapon in that way.

Anyways good morning goons I am getting destroyed by the flu shot. ho lord.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah learning spanish was straightforward after learning english lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i was about to talk some smack there, but yeah, i assume going into spanish from korean is a whole bunch of 'what'

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah learning spanish was straightforward after learning english lol

my japanese classes were full of 20 year old korean and chinese kids (i was 30). and they just blew through everything while i was working my rear end off just to keep my head above water.

the whole time i was thinking, man, if we were studying spanish...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

i was about to talk some smack there, but yeah, i assume going into spanish from korean is a whole bunch of 'what'

there are los angelinos and peeps in the df who know only spanish and korean. much more understandable in the df lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

it's actually kinda strange, sometimes when my wife wants to be sneaky and speaks to me in korean i sometimes answer in spanish without thinking about it.

super weird because obviously spanish is not my native language either and i do usually know how to properly answer in korean :confused:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
cls: apparently there's a parade outside the restaurant that i ordered from. i have no idea if i'm ever getting my food :saddowns:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beeftweeter posted:

i do usually know how to properly answer in korean :confused:

i know the korean for 'motorcycle', 'girlfriend', and 'lonely'. i'm fully equipped to be a minor member in a kpop boy band

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

finally got my 4th shot with bivalent

supercharged for the world now ! also Wendy’s breakfast isn’t anything to write home about. finally tried it and it was meh all around - bfast baconator was bland. the wedges are alright and their coffee is swampy

avoid

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Vintersorg posted:

supercharged for the world now ! also Wendy’s breakfast isn’t anything to write home about. finally tried it and it was meh all around - bfast baconator was bland. the wedges are alright and their coffee is swampy

avoid

high five gettin' shots buddy

talked to the walgreens lady when i was getting mine. fortunately they are booked solid with 2 shots per 15 minutes x 2 shot-givers from open to close, so at least people are getting their boosters at a decent adoption rate.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

when I worked with a Korean company I could order jjampong or whatever at their favourite place in Korean, but it all fell out of my head once I didn’t use it anymore

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah. give it 5 years full time

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jonny 290 posted:

i know the korean for 'motorcycle', 'girlfriend', and 'lonely'. i'm fully equipped to be a minor member in a kpop boy band

lmfao

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Vintersorg posted:

Jonny 290 posted:

high five gettin' shots buddy

go team :hfive:

i got both a bivalent covid and a flu shot yesterday, had to drive to a neighboring red county because my blue county is using all of their doses

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got world's worst sleep last night cause of it

woke up at 1am, 2am, 4am, 5am. then finally got a few hours till 9.

Nurse Nargle slept by my chest the whole night through and gave mrrps and headbutted my hand for Pets now and then. it helped

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

blue county in a blue state, and it seems like all the appointments here are booked as soon as they're available -- it's like when the vaccine originally came out

seems like all the readily available vaccines are about an hour's drive away, so maybe i'll break down and make that trip this week

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

woke up at 1am, 2am, 4am, 5am. then finally got a few hours till 9.

this isn't too far from how my night went, only it was trips to the bathroom to deal with pre-bedtime qdoba instead of a vaccine

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

does having caught covid recently give you better or worse immunity than the newest booster?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

getting my booster shot tomorrow. wanted to schedule flu shot at the same time, but the website for it just suggested asking about the flu shot while you're there, so i'm hoping they just have them all lined up ready to go for when people ask.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i got boosted a few days after it was available, there were tons of appointments. maybe now that the news is out there's more people getting it?

i do need to get the flu vaccine though, maybe i'll drag my wife out with me on tuesday.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

does having caught covid recently give you better or worse immunity than the newest booster?

fauci was asked a question along these lines, and he said that since he'd recently had covid, he was going to wait 2 months for his next vaccine, per cdc guidelines. getting rona confers a slightly less robust response, and it doesn't last as long vs the vaccine. it's still considerable enough to where, if you were recently ill, it probably provides the best protection to wait a bit until getting the booster. myself, i'm getting the booster shortly before the holidays, as that's when i'm going to be most at risk w/ family and other gatherings

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
picked up a trashcan mac pro for less than a pair of airpods. logic pro should be happy w/ 64gb of ram and a 12 core xeon

fake edit:lmao, original list price was 6.5k

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Beeftweeter posted:

i cant surf or scuba anymore because of my hosed up spine :smith:

scuba is for chumps, snuba is where its at

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cls: got a $400 bill yesterday from labcorp for *checks notes* ah, yes, routine thyroid testing

this poo poo just fuckin ruins my mood. certainly soured the weekend (not that i ever actually do anything besides sit in front of a screen anyway so lol if it even matters)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah way back when i was in elementary school the great state of new jersey decided we should learn both without a choice, lol

they backtracked on that by the time i was in hs and i concentrated in spanish afterwards (tbh more useful here), but i can't say it wasn't helpful at all

that’s a yikes from me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so is jerry cotton dead or what

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

so is jerry cotton dead or what

he took a break because Finnish politics are going completely to poo poo and the IK of the thread supported the forcing of nurses back to work without meeting their strike demands last I had heard

oh also they’re joining/joined NATO and keep needling Russia

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Eh, I wouldn't say Finnish politics are going to poo poo, this is pretty much par for the course.

Adjusting your expectations to the right level takes a while, but I did it long ago and the current situation is just about what I'd expect.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
europe is going south real fast

italy about to elect a literal fascist

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bump_fn posted:

europe is going south real fast

italy about to elect a literal fascist

poo poo first time that's ever happened!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

love to change keyboard shortcuts in my environment, forget about those changes, and then get mad when the default shortcuts i find via google arent working.