Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

but then its like this guys a total wanker and that scene where he has sex with his ex girlfriend at her dads funeral its like why am i watching this poo poo

the lead character is self obsessed jerk and snob about everything and thinks hes the star of his own personal movie and that all of his exes somehow owe him meaning like gently caress off dude.

i really think they should remake it but instead of collecting records he collects manga (japanimation comics)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
His character in that movie is proto-goon. There's probably a deleted scene where he walks two miles with a stereo receiver for a girl who is already loving someone else.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

the only scene that saves the movie is where is listening to a new record on his big record store speakers and grabs the record and makes a record scratch noise and he looks at the screen and goes "you call THAT high fidelity?!"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i don't like him either, but that's where my 401k is, so what am i gonna do?

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

quote:

I wanna live with a musician. She'd write songs at home and ask me what I thought of them, and maybe even include one of our little private jokes in the liner notes.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Most of Nick Hornby's lead characters are self absorbed pricks who never grew up and took responsibility. He's a really good and definitely not autobiographical fiction writer.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
John Cusack was good in con air and gross pointe blank. Also better off dead and one crazy summer

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

I challenge Hollywood to create a romantic comedy where the dude isn’t a stalker who refuses to take no for an answer.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
High Fidelity was just a modern Catcher in the Rye adaptation

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

UGGHHHHHHHHH

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003
HOLY SHIT I JUST WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT BIRDS IN CAGES. DID YOU KNOW PUTTING BIRDS IN CAGES MAKES YOU LITERALLY WORSE THAN HITLER? CAUSE IT DOES AND I WILL MAKE SURE YOU KNOW. I ALSO WANT YOU TO KISS YOURSELF IF YOU EVER THINK ABOUT PUTTING A BIRD IN A CAGE.

Alucard posted:

John Cusack was good in con air and gross pointe blank. Also better off dead and one crazy summer

also inThe Ice Harvest with Oliver Platt

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Even as a teenager I thought he was a self involved arrogant douchebag but sometimes you gotta make a movie about a douchebag, no big deal.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

CPL593H posted:

His character in that movie is proto-goon. There's probably a deleted scene where he walks two miles with a stereo receiver for a girl who is already loving someone else.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I challenge Hollywood to create a romantic comedy where the dude isn’t a stalker who refuses to take no for an answer.

I thought The Break Up with Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston was a good inversion of the usual rom-com tropes.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003
HOLY SHIT I JUST WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT BIRDS IN CAGES. DID YOU KNOW PUTTING BIRDS IN CAGES MAKES YOU LITERALLY WORSE THAN HITLER? CAUSE IT DOES AND I WILL MAKE SURE YOU KNOW. I ALSO WANT YOU TO KISS YOURSELF IF YOU EVER THINK ABOUT PUTTING A BIRD IN A CAGE.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Peter Weirs' "Fearless"

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The man owns a record store duh

Kinda like in Downfall the main character doesn't really learn any lessons and just kills himself but that's fine because that's just how his character is

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Poohs Packin posted:

i really think they should remake it but instead of collecting records he collects manga (japanimation comics)

They actually did remake it into a series on Hulu. All new cast but you can tell who is supposed to be who if you are familiar with the original movie, which is not a prerequisite. I thought it was good, but then I liked the original. I dunno, I'm a loving idiot who can't talk to people about anything besides music so maybe I find Rob's character relatable in that way.

Child Trebuchet
Sep 4, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
This is why I only watch children's movies with only good characters.

A flawed protagonist is too much for me to deal with.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I think I’m pretty much alone in really liking a couple of Matthew Broderick’s 90’s rom coms, The Night We Never Met and the lesser, but still relatively entertaining Addicted To Love. The former has him as one third of a trio who share the use of a nice apartment in New York: he has it for a couple of days so he has somewhere to cook and bring dates, the other guy is a frat boy banker who uses it to watch football and get hammered with his buddies, and the woman uses it a place to paint and avoid her husband. Everything goes wrong before it goes right and no one stalks anyone.

The latter technically has weird stalker behaviour, but since it’s about two weirdos who fall in love whist stalking their respective exes and bond over doing horrible poo poo to them, I give it a pass.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
Being miserable and single and working in a record store with Jack Black was considered to be the highest achievement a man could attain in the 1990s but now science knows better.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

It was one of my favourite movies as a teenager and I thought it was very cool and sophisticated and grownup but I watched it for the first time in a long time last year and was struck just how much I hated the character and the whole movie.

Maybe it’s the wisdom of being the other side of 30, or having gone through a few serious relationships in that time, but man, what a complete loving tool. Those women all did the absolute right thing by ditching his petulant rear end.

It’s not even like his taste in music is all that interesting, it’s just basic Springsteen and Lou Reed-adjacent poo poo.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

his name means "cock and balls"

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
OP, it sounds like you think the main character being a bad person makes the movie bad.

Are you sure that's true? You can have a good story about a bad person. Someone can be both a bad person and a good character. The main character's journey can be compelling and worth watching, even if the protagonist is flawed. Sometimes that's the whole point and the flaws are the reason there's a conflict and a story (the character is the real cause of their own problems).

I don't know if that's true here, though. I haven't seen this movie. Wasn't really my thing.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

his name means "cock and balls"

Toilet Cock and Balls

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

Matinee posted:

Maybe it’s the wisdom of being the other side of 30, or having gone through a few serious relationships in that time, but man, what a complete loving tool. Those women all did the absolute right thing by ditching his petulant rear end.

It’s not even like his taste in music is all that interesting, it’s just basic Springsteen and Lou Reed-adjacent poo poo.

This is the entire point of the movie and it spends it's entire run time telling the audience "this guy sucks and is wrong don't be like him" and at the end John Cusack says out loud "I sick and was wrong and nobody should be like that".

I can't tell if this is a bit or you guys are too dumb to breathe

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Working retail will do that to a person

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Pretty sure they've already made some, possibly a whole bunch.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I like Joan Cusack more than John Cusack.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
yeah same, i rewatched HF recently and it was like....this guy fuckin sucks. he's every tiresome alpha nerd who never left high school emotionally

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

OP, it sounds like you think the main character being a bad person makes the movie bad.

Are you sure that's true? You can have a good story about a bad person. Someone can be both a bad person and a good character. The main character's journey can be compelling and worth watching, even if the protagonist is flawed. Sometimes that's the whole point and the flaws are the reason there's a conflict and a story (the character is the real cause of their own problems).

I don't know if that's true here, though. I haven't seen this movie. Wasn't really my thing.

K

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

one time i messaged an ex to be like "hey just doing the high fidelity thing trying to figure out my true self and how to find love" and she was like "wtf is wrong with you" and really chewed me out for it and in retrospect she was right

also i always get this movie + grosse point blank confused in my head.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

GolfHole posted:

also i always get this movie + grosse point blank confused in my head.

Same. The protagonists are kind of similar tbh, although Martin Blank is probably a bit less heinous

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

This is the entire point of the movie and it spends it's entire run time telling the audience "this guy sucks and is wrong don't be like him" and at the end John Cusack says out loud "I sick and was wrong and nobody should be like that".

I get that’s the arc (though I think the ways he’s shown to have “changed” at the end are pretty weak) - I was probably just feeling revulsion at myself for once thinking he was cool and aspirational because he had a big record collection and a cool leather jacket and skinny jeans drip

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Alucard posted:

I saw Identity recently and that was pretty good

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's
I work/run a record store and nothing gets on my nerves more than people saying "it must be just like in high fidelity"

The running a struggling business part is accurate. The being a self obsessed rear end in a top hat looking for his manic pixie dream girls at the expense of every other woman in his life, INCLUDING HIS LONG TERM PARTNER, are not accurate.
I hate that movie for making people think Safe as Milk is a good album.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

What about the Three EPs by The Beta Band?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Kingo Ligma posted:

What does your heart tell you?

naem
May 29, 2011

Poohs Packin posted:

but then its like this guys a total wanker and that scene where he has sex with his ex girlfriend at her dads funeral its like why am i watching this poo poo

the lead character is self obsessed jerk and snob about everything and thinks hes the star of his own personal movie and that all of his exes somehow owe him meaning like gently caress off dude.

it’s a very gen x movie, it reflects things they thought were fun and cool

if you ever wonder “why did gen X do something, it doesn’t make sense or doesn’t seem cool to me now today” just remember they had young, active, healthy boomers in their prime breathing down their necks 24/7 their entire adult lives and are all deeply mentally and emotionally broken

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

This is accurate and if you digitally edit in an ugly person for their character it suddenly becomes the movie "Fear".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's

Matinee posted:

What about the Three EPs by The Beta Band?

Those are good records.