Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Twerk from Home posted:

These are only in the new more expensive model, right?

i haven't followed that too much, but i think the price increase was just to deal with the strong dollar and faltering jpy/eur, which is why the price didn't go up in the us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Kazinsal posted:

Considering my 8700K Cinebench R23 ST score is like, 1150, I'm thinking it might be time for a new build. :stare:

Dunno about yours but my old 8700K had terrible thermal issues even at stock no matter how much I reseated or changed HSFs.

On the 5600 I can stress test all day without hitting 80C on a budget ID-Cooling SE224XT with the CPU fan totally off.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 25, 2022

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Arzachel posted:

Only if you care about the second column, ST numbers are still basically the same.

Yeah, the test scales with the amount of cores so of course an 8 core part is going to have about half of the performance of a 16 core part.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

kliras posted:

i haven't followed that too much, but i think the price increase was just to deal with the strong dollar and faltering jpy/eur, which is why the price didn't go up in the us

yeah there's no new separate more expensive model, it's a price increase across the board. they're not marketing this refresh as anything different

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-7950x-7900x-7700x-7600x-stock-cinebench-scores-leaked

I wonder if Videocardz is smart enough to alter the scores slightly to protect the reviewer who leaked them these cinebench scores.

Hey, there are officially leaked CB23 scores too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccg6aU7Hmjw

;)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Palladium posted:

Dunno about yours but my old 8700K had terrible thermal issues even at stock no matter how much I reseated or changed HSFs.

On the 5600 I can stress test all day without hitting 80C on a budget ID-Cooling SE224XT with the CPU fan totally off.

The 8700K was one of those CPU's that really benefited from delidding, it's completely thermally bottlenecked by the internal thermal paste. You basically had to delid it if you wanted to overclock. I delidded mine and put liquid metal on it back in early 2018, haven't touched it since and the temps seem unchanged. I'm not really feeling a need to upgrade it though, and I'm not sure what I'll do with it if I do. Probably hard to sell, I didn't glue the IHS back on so I really don't want to take it out of the socket.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

TheFluff posted:

The 8700K was one of those CPU's that really benefited from delidding, it's completely thermally bottlenecked by the internal thermal paste. You basically had to delid it if you wanted to overclock. I delidded mine and put liquid metal on it back in early 2018, haven't touched it since and the temps seem unchanged. I'm not really feeling a need to upgrade it though, and I'm not sure what I'll do with it if I do. Probably hard to sell, I didn't glue the IHS back on so I really don't want to take it out of the socket.

7700k was the same, I had one and I delidded it and threw on some liquid metal, then lightly glued the IHS back on, I think it was a 15-20C across the board drop in load temperatures (not much change at idle for obvious reasons). But the limit of overclocking I did on that CPU was just making all core turbo the same as single core turbo, so it cranked to 4.5 GHz on all cores all the time at load and had the thermal headroom to get away with it. It also dropped the peak power consumption from 125w to 120w in Prime 95 small FFT AVX, literally 5w of leakage current reduction just from lowering the temperature.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Kazinsal posted:

Considering my 8700K Cinebench R23 ST score is like, 1150, I'm thinking it might be time for a new build. :stare:
Same. My Threadripper 2950X does 1130-ish at ST. Even the MT score on the 7950X is like 70% higher.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

those cinebench results show that AMD has def upped their SMT performance as well, which was lagging a bit before.

e: AMD did tout some improvements to the branch prediction and execution engine, maybe thats what we are seeing with the SMT improvements

Cygni fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 25, 2022

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I want to see the isolated improvement from doubling L2 cache per core but not sure how that can even be tested?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It was September 27th, right? Just wondering, because Asus still hasn't their whole line-up listed on their site, and none of the manufacturers seem to have uploaded the manuals yet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Review embargo lifts in three hours, and sales go live on the 27th. Intel's reveal also happens on the 27th, and there are some rumors indicating that 13th-gen sales could go live as early as next week.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Puget Systems appears to have posted their review an hour or so early: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AMD-Ryzen-7000-Series-Processors-Content-Creation-Review-2356/

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Looks like 20-30% improvement over previous gen in single thread, and 40-50% in multi thread with the same core count?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TheFluff posted:

Looks like 20-30% improvement over previous gen in single thread, and 40-50% in multi thread with the same core count?

Insane, huge increase. I wonder where the 13900K will land price wise, because I'm about to justify a 7950X build with these numbers and its relative positioning.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Intels plans were to raise the prices of the offerings so it will be interesting if they decide to hold off on that

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Beat your 10%-15% IPC boost YOY with a stick, Intel.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRaJXZMOMPU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
7800X3d gonna be an actual inferno.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

K8.0 posted:

Warming you up in the winter and cooking you in the summer.

And I thought it was bad this summer.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hardware Unboxed reviewed the 7600X, and it's faster than the 5800X3D in gaming. The 7600X, the lowest-end part at launch with just six cores, also ran at 91 - 93C during Cinebench with a 360mm AIO. AMD insists that :tif:

What's crazy is that it hit 91 - 93C with a huge AIO while pulling just 120W. There's some serious dissipation issues going on here.

HUB Steve hasn't posted the reviews for the other chips yet, but he's said in the HUB discord all chips were able to hit peak performance with that AIO despite the 7600X living so close to the edge already. I guess it's an issue of thermal density. More cores means less density and they're comparatively easier to cool.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 26, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Dr. Cuttress livestreaming talking 7000-series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd5ApZg2cCI

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

K8.0 posted:

The weird thing is that while the 5800x3d will rapidly hit its temp limit at 90C it actually isn’t using as much power doing so as the 5800x. I’m curious to see if they “fix” this 3D cache cooling issue or if your choices are just going to be cache or 500MHz (with the auto OC offset)

Hardware Unboxed reviewed the 7600X, and it's faster than the 5800X3D in gaming. The 7600X, the lowest-end part at launch with just six cores, also ran at 91 - 93C during Cinebench with a 360mm AIO. AMD insists that :tif:

What's crazy is that it hit 91 - 93C with a huge AIO while pulling just 120W. There's some serious dissipation issues going on here.

Jesus Christ, my “hot” x3d with a 240 aio is around 80 during cinebench. I thought 95C was going to be a p95 thing not cinebench!

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 26, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmmm I wonder if that fast and high temp cycling will affect longevity. Thermal expansion and poo poo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hardware Unboxed reviewed the 7600X, and it's faster than the 5800X3D in gaming.

jesus god in heaven

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Presumably the reason they're doing it IS to deal with heat transfer problems. If you can't get more area, then you need more temperature differential.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmmm I wonder if that fast and high temp cycling will affect longevity. Thermal expansion and poo poo.

Honestly I think it's going to be just fine. Silicon is still tending to well outlive its usefulness, so why not push it harder?

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
the stock behavior seems to be to boost up to low 90s and supply however much power the cooler can dissipate in heat. testing on low profile air cooling through multiple radiator custom loops needed to fully characterize the range of performance and efficiency for these parts

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

this allusion meant posted:

the stock behavior seems to be to boost up to low 90s and supply however much power the cooler can dissipate in heat. testing on low profile air cooling through multiple radiator custom loops needed to fully characterize the range of performance and efficiency for these parts

HUB Steve also said that he plans on doing that kind of testing, seeing how different coolers affect performance.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
oh man. watching der8auer’s delidding video. he’s getting great results. was really hoping not to be tempted to do anything too nuts on the next build

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....I don't understand this freaking out over 90 C. Maybe I'm an old piece of poo poo, but I ran P3s and Athlons, and those got up to 85, easy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did they see these temperatures during gaming too? Are we looking at a future where even midrange pcs will need high performance coolers?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rinkles posted:

Did they see these temperatures during gaming too? Are we looking at a future where even midrange pcs will need high performance coolers?

It sounds to me like it's going to be in the 90s no matter how big or small your cooler is, and you'll just get a little more performance with a bigger cooler.

Some sicko needs to stick a low clearance cooler on one of the 125W parts. Technically rated for it!

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Rinkles posted:

you don’t need em. it’s just that you will keep getting more performance out if you keep throwing more cooling and power into the part, well into ranges that would have previously been considered unreasonable. it’s up to you whether it makes sense to leave that on the table over the cost of cooler or psu upgrades

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
having watched the HWUB review the cost-per-frame analysis section is probably the most useful and I'm very glad they did it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If you want your system quiet, I guess you're gonna have to create a weird looking fan profile for these cpus.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Big deal in the HWUB review : the IGP apparently supports DP 2.0, making it THE MOST ADVANCED GPU YOU CAN BUY TODAY!

gradenko_2000 posted:

having watched the HWUB review the cost-per-frame analysis section is probably the most useful and I'm very glad they did it

It's actually loving garbage. $/frame is a completely worthless metric. Unless you don't have an existing PC, what matters is $/frame of UPLIFT. $/frame is an idiotic metric that consistently undervalues performance.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Rinkles posted:

Basically with these thermal behaviors all Zen 4 Chips are overclocking all the time. AMD has finally brought the fun of XOC to the masses.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Big deal in the HWUB review : the IGP apparently supports DP 2.0, making it THE MOST ADVANCED GPU YOU CAN BUY TODAY!

i guess that more or less confirms RDNA3 cards will also have DP2.0 (unlike ada)

there's still no sign of DP2.0 monitors actually arriving though

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

K8.0 posted:

Yawn, lemme know when someone reports that VCN is better than last gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

K8.0 posted:

It's actually loving garbage. $/frame is a completely worthless metric. Unless you don't have an existing PC, what matters is $/frame of UPLIFT. $/frame is an idiotic metric that consistently undervalues performance.
maybe we'll finally see nature heal as people go from transparent rgb-ified lian li cases to all-black insulated cases like be quiet