Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Does Prodeus change aesthetically,in the later levels? Or is it all metallic corridors and grey basalt exteriors with red accents all the time?

I could see it has some of the flaws I remember from a year ago. The imps are turret for example, they don't know how to move.
And yes, they track you perfectly, taking in account your current speed and direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

juggalo baby coffin posted:

INCISION (idk if it needs to be caps or not) is very good so far

the aesthetic is very cool, a mix of organic stuff, techno-organic stuff, and gross industrial decay. good feeling movement, cool weapons, very good music (i think intentionally reminiscient of the quake 1 nin soundtrack, but incorporating some more modern sounds too in the uptempo sections), decent variety of enemies so far. I've not finished the first episode yet but the levels have all been very good so far and incorporate a lot of verticality and have pretty intricate designs and some pretty awesome gross giant structures.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1734680/INCISION/

so far i like it better than prodeus or turbo overkill, and probably more than HROT

i think this one and Cultic are the ones i am most looking forward to more of now

also this is a really really weird reference but i figure if anyone would get it it would be here, there's a gzdoom mod called sun damage with a very stark aesthetic that INCISION reminds me a lot of

This is so cool. Like a "what if Quake 2 had atmosphere" thought experiment.

And after spending so long with Fortune's Run, I'm glad someone has decided to make an FPS where the air control feels good even if you're a complete idiot. Like you can just hover. Drop and float under ledges with ease. I mean it feels ridiculous, and it's probably going to give the actual jumpmap heads conniptions, but I don't think I've ever gotten so confident jumping around in a shooter so quickly.

Not 100% convinced by the lives system so far, but it is at least replacing a traditional save system instead of sitting alongside it.

e: Quite often I'm finding it difficult to see what's going on in a fight because my view is obscured by the blood mist from my own gibs, or smoke and fire from something exploding. Which. Is metal. But not the best gameplay? Ach, I'll probably adjust.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 25, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Early access games don’t count as “out” :colbert:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I like Prodeus, but most of my deaths have come from attempting to jump somewhere I think is a ledge and it just kills me. Secret hunting is driving me crazy

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Does Prodeus change aesthetically,in the later levels? Or is it all metallic corridors and grey basalt exteriors with red accents all the time?

I could see it has some of the flaws I remember from a year ago. The imps are turret for example, they don't know how to move.
And yes, they track you perfectly, taking in account your current speed and direction.

It takes about half the game, but yes, they show off some other nice looking tile sets. The last two levels of the game go full Quake, which sucks because the last level is just an arena combat so you don't get enough of it even if the second to last level is just throwing everything at the wall in a huge sprawling tour of level design

Edit: The level editor shows off theres a ton of assets that aren't used anywhere else in the game that can make other neat level styles.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 25, 2022

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

prodeus isn’t grabbing me at all. the gunfeel is fine but not stellar, the enemies are just doom analogues but less interesting (imps and cacos being turrets sucks), the level layouts are good but the textures are repetitive and I just feel like I’m wandering from fight to fight instead of exploring.

idk after all the praise I expected more

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm having a lot of fun with Prodeus so far, but I am looking forward to unlocking the upgrades. Also I'm playing it on Ultra Hard and it's....not. I'm looking forward to checking out the level editor too.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
https://twitter.com/letshugbro/status/1574084367231909888

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Those fast dog enemies are really hampering my enjoyment of the game to be honest. They are so fast that almost no matter where they spawn, if I'm not using the appropriate weapon at the time they happen to appear, just the time it takes to switch weapons is enough for them to catch up to me and take out half of my health. The tactical nature of the gunplay goes completely out the window and becomes a mad retreat for a few seconds. I've only died twice so far and both were because I retreated into a dead end when dogs appeared and couldn't even survive the length of time it took to change weapons.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Enemy projectiles in Prodeus have this nasty habit of tracking you. I'm going at full steam sprinting from point to point yet still I wind up getting winged a lot of the time. "Marksman" got pretty irritating when you have no idea if the enemies have line of sight on you and you can barely hear their charging.

Speaking of, as rockin' as the soundtrack is I had to turn it down a few notches because I couldn't hear anything from the enemies. They need more distinct sound effects to tell you what's around you.

I have access to the movement upgrades and almost have enough to buy one. Which one am I going to get more mileage from regarding secrets? I'm guessing double jump. Dash is going to be more useful for weapon challenges; I can already tell that it'll cut down on my time in the Shredder challenge considerably.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 26, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Double jump is far more useful for secrets, but there are a handful like in the rocket launcher time trial where you need both.

You will never need dash to get the time trial score. The times are very very generous.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

gently caress yeah

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Haha

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:five:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I can't get over how *boring* Prodeus looks. I mean it literally, the visuals. Levels seem to use mostly the same texture for all walls, floor and ceilings (example: rock cave or metal corridor) so it has a too homogeneous look. Then add the fact that the most used color is grey. And on top of that the basic enemies are greyish. So, yeah...

And the blood. Omg. 'Better' would have been preferable to 'more'. Instead of dropping 50 gallons per killed enemy, they could have tried for better blood because it really look like bright plastic paint.

I will admit I'm liking their rail fun, in both modes.

Edit: models seem better than sprites, I agree, it goes better with this particular art style

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Sep 26, 2022

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

whoopsie

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1574311092628688896

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Incredible :laugh:

Cat Machine what did you do :laugh:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Congrats on your upcoming trip to the tower

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Lmao

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

"The main protagonist descends into the 10th circle of hell, the United Kingdom, in order to battle against her. "

love it

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I bumped Prodeus up to max difficulty to see if everyone was right that it was too easy and uhh either you guys are pretty drat good at fps or the early levels are just that tame. The later levels are really skimpy with HP pickups and the enemies do mondo damage (the one that throws out the big tracking wave was doing 75 per hit). Going for no death runs seems like it would take some real practice.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I fuckin love video games

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Turin Turambar posted:

I can't get over how *boring* Prodeus looks. I mean it literally, the visuals. Levels seem to use mostly the same texture for all walls, floor and ceilings (example: rock cave or metal corridor) so it has a too homogeneous look. Then add the fact that the most used color is grey. And on top of that the basic enemies are greyish. So, yeah...

And the blood. Omg. 'Better' would have been preferable to 'more'. Instead of dropping 50 gallons per killed enemy, they could have tried for better blood because it really look like bright plastic paint.

I will admit I'm liking their rail fun, in both modes.

Edit: models seem better than sprites, I agree, it goes better with this particular art style
I've been playing around with the level editor and assuming the asset browser has all the assets from the base game, it seems like they really skimped on the textures. There are only like a few wall textures in the game and they use a separate colour map to change the color of the base texture to add variety. It has a really cool dynamic texture system though where the textures have a whole bunch of tiles, borders, repeating sections, trims, etc. in them and it intelligently maps the texture onto whatever size of face you have, so instead of going around and manually adding trim textures and doing texture alignment, you can just paint a whole room with the same texture and it will make it look good automatically. I guess that's their way of keeping the face counts low enough to run on old consoles.

The blood is a little much though, especially because when you're running around in it, the footsteps sound like a bunch of tiny feet following you.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

MMF Freeway posted:

I bumped Prodeus up to max difficulty to see if everyone was right that it was too easy and uhh either you guys are pretty drat good at fps or the early levels are just that tame. The later levels are really skimpy with HP pickups and the enemies do mondo damage (the one that throws out the big tracking wave was doing 75 per hit). Going for no death runs seems like it would take some real practice.
The first half of the game is relatively easy to deal with on the highest difficulty setting so long as you take it steady, with a few of the lock in/arena fights being the only nasty bits. When stages start going all blue it gets very difficult because of the perfectly tracking projectiles and the impossibility of keeping an eye on all the enemies that get thrown at you at the same time. If you have enemies that throw projectiles that track you need to focus 100% of your attention on them or you're gonna get nailed in the back randomly. In the larger arenas or the more geometrically abstract spaces where there are lots of fellas and potential angles mixed with the really scary enemies that demand 100% of your attention (big winged guy who shots horizontal plasma waves for like 100 damage) this is impossible and you are going to get chipped by an extremely high damage imp fireball or something (harder difficulty scales damage iirc). This is the huge weakness of the games design and made me all lose interest tbh.

I guess there's a dash upgrade in this final build to mitigate this problem via doom eternal style dash spamming but eugh, no thanks.

koren fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 26, 2022

koren
Sep 7, 2003

For all of its problems, the level design in prodeus is best in class from this wave of new shooters second only to wrath. Big respect to dragonfly/the other level designers.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Tbh I think the double jump and dash feel good (love eternal too ofc) but yeah they don't really help too much with the level of projectile spam going on in some of the bigger fights. I don't know if they touched the enemy behavior in EA but it could really use another pass along with the difficulty options.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The dash does absolutely gently caress all for enemy control

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

INCISION measures minigun ammo in yards :allears:

I love this stupid game. All of these weapons feel good.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Shoehead posted:

I fuckin love video games

Yeah, honestly it's weird how few games use thatcher as the baddie tbh. She would have made a great Command & Conquer villain. Just imagine Tim Curry in a blue dress and wig furously gnashing out lines about trickle down economics and section 28

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Can't say I expected the Postal shooter to have probably the best arsenal of these nu-retro games, even if it "borrows" pretty liberally from bigger FPS.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Convex posted:

Yeah, honestly it's weird how few games use thatcher as the baddie tbh. She would have made a great Command & Conquer villain. Just imagine Tim Curry in a blue dress and wig furously gnashing out lines about trickle down economics and section 28
I'm still waiting for a Rupert Murdoch Icon of Sin

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

INCISION measures minigun ammo in yards :allears:

I love this stupid game. All of these weapons feel good.

theres a few unexpectedly whimsical touches that make the relentlessly grim scenery not get tedious. i love the kitty weapon. weapons with that type of gimmick and those idle animations are always my favourite.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, that's great. I love spinning the revolver too.

It's almost weird to me how good Kitty feels to use. Like, it's a gimmicky lil creature gun and usually the feel kinda weak or mushy or just not quite snappy enough to really satisfy, but no it's this spread-fire grenade launcher thing where the grenades stick to people and it feels great. Every time I see one of those dudes that just stand around doing nothing I immediately jump on them with the chainsaw-staff because I want to fire Kitty some more.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Cat Machine is going to make Truss ban games in the UK

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I think Prodeus is just ok. It does have issues but the mindless running and gunning isn’t best in class but it works. No issues with the graphics except that the blood effect is so strong and noisy that it gets hard to tell if I’m aiming at anything or if there’s anything left alive to aim at.

The pixelated weapons looked weird when running the game without the crt filter stuff so I turned all that on.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I respect Prodeus sticking to its "stylistic identity." It's certainly one of the more visually distinct retro-FPSes seen recently (with stuff like Nightmare Reaper also standing out for its. . . unique presentation).

"Hazard" is an awesome level and a great example of how to do backtracking in an open environment well. I've seen like only one map that I considered "bad" so far, and even then it was just the annoying gimmick.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I think Prodeus's level design is pretty meh. I'm not sure how far along I'm into it, but the only two levels I thought were interesting were one where you had to make your way to a sniper tower, and another where you had to change the flood levels of toxic sludge and do some light platforming around.

Other than that, just an endless series of steel, rock, and blueish greys. Yawn.

At least the guns feel real good.

E: I looked it up and apparently I stopped playing last night right before the last level, haha. Welp....this might have been one game I would have been fine waiting for another campaign or two.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Prodeus feels like it came from a world where the guys who made Chasm: The Rift made a direct sequel to Doom 2 if that makes any sense.

I'd say there are more creative games with higher ideas, but I just want to play more of it because it feels good. The levels flow really well and I like the feeling of shooting enemies.

My #1 complaint is the same complaint I have for so many modern games with Hulshult soundtracks in that I got really tired really early on listening to the same ten-to-twenty second loops of a ten string bass. DUSK did this too, as well as Nightmare Reaper and a few others. It would be nicer to have just a constant song playing in the background instead.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 27, 2022

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Can't wait for the Chasm remaster.

Severed Steel is pretty sweet so far. Like a mix of SuperHot and FEAR(mostly SuperHot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Rewatched some of Civvie's videos today, and I realized that I haven't watched quite a few of his videos because it's on games that I own, but haven't played yet (namely: Dusk, Duke Nukem Manhatten Project, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Clive Barker's Undying, Ion Fury, Outlaws, and something else that I'm forgetting).

I've got Dusk and Duke Manhattan downloaded. I was going to download RtCW, but then I remembered that the game has some compatibility issues. I bought it on GOG as well, but I saw there was a mod on Steam called RealRTCW. I was wondering, though, if that mod is something you should use if you've never played RtCW before.