Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

https://twitter.com/RealLyndaCarter/status/1574833527920762880?t=el8MAFMCurJbyIShu9K8mQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/ninastrohminger/status/1574076250620153859?s=46&t=CCGUB6LjpTOFf6Ecr5rroQ

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/zarawesome/status/1575067035863769089?s=46&t=CCGUB6LjpTOFf6Ecr5rroQ

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

i do remember this haha

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

it literally happened again, with a multi-million media empire no one's ever heard of, while you were posting that: https://news.google.com/search?q=the try guys

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

the tryst guys

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

DuckConference posted:

it literally happened again, with a multi-million media empire no one's ever heard of, while you were posting that: https://news.google.com/search?q=the try guys

literally no consequences for not knowing about rich shills so that's a no click zone imo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok i finally read an explainer on it. i was worried because i follow the "Try" channel on youtube which is basically Adorable Irish People React To Things, and i was worried they exploded

anyways gently caress the try guys

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

today we're gonna try adultery!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It was my understanding from the discourse that the Try Guy (individual) is bad because he cheated on his wife, but the Try Guys (organization) are actually good because they kicked him out as this was against their values.

I will not be looking any further into this.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Try Guy was having an affair with an employee of the company he owns which makes all of this much more legally exciting.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i think we should stop using this structure because loving is a good thing sometimes. instead let's say

"anyways poo poo on the try guys"

(i also don't know or care who they are)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
code:
try {
     guy.haveAffair()
} catch {
     youtubeGroup.remove(guy)
}

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

The Try Guy was having an affair with an employee of the company he owns which makes all of this much more legally exciting.

more like The Trial Guy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

dpkg chopra posted:

more like The Trial Guy

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

today we're gonna try adultery!

it was popular in the 90s!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ayVYxJppXg0

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/ca_dmv_bot/status/1574864853428101120?s=46&t=mR2lX5-s0uBOrn-Eh0o83A

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/depthsofwiki/status/1575098937144270849?s=46&t=QAXhQbzHjnttsSrpqSKk4w

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ca_dmv_bot/status/1572765424416358402?s=21&t=3l-hOYVDBfNQr_c_L6VdKw

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

i think we should stop using this structure because loving is a good thing sometimes. instead let's say

"anyways poo poo on the try guys"

(i also don't know or care who they are)

poo poo on you

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

poo poo on you

this guy eats pieces of poo poo for breakfast

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

seeing grown ups care about youtube drama makes me feel incredibly old. and tired.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

thank you for this wonderful content

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Achmed Jones posted:

seeing grown ups care about youtube drama makes me feel incredibly old. and tired.

i mean, the implied argument here is that adults shouldnt pay attention to what is now basically the world's largest television network that has teraflops of compute power dedicated to how to trick children into watching hate speech

we're not like writing essays (or making 40 minute youtube videos) about it, but staying abreast of the gossip in case actually dangerous or bad things come across isnt a bad thing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

also i love drama of all forms as long as it does not impact my life in any way

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

rotor posted:

also i love drama of all forms as long as it does not impact my life in any way

I read the cspam internet warriors thread because I don't know who *any* of the people mentioned/having tweets reposted actually are, but I find the amount of drama kind of fascinating.

just endless parade of internet "personalities" going nuts at each other like a message board flame war in the late 90s

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

just endless parade of internet "personalities" going nuts at each other like a message board flame war in the late 90s

they didnt learn from doing it in the 90s so theyre doing it now

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean, the implied argument here is that adults shouldnt pay attention to what is now basically the world's largest television network that has teraflops of compute power dedicated to how to trick children into watching hate speech

we're not like writing essays (or making 40 minute youtube videos) about it, but staying abreast of the gossip in case actually dangerous or bad things come across isnt a bad thing

no it isn't. there is no implied argument. it's what i said: technology is advancing. people are advancing with it. i'm not. that makes me feel old. and tired.

when only children care about a thing, it is possible to dismiss it as childish. when generally put-together adults care about it and you dismiss it as unimportant, that's a real good sign you're fuckin old

if youre reading me telling people to stop caring about things into that, it has more to do with the reader than the text

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah all this proves is that streaming is now first-class media alongside music, movies, tv, sports, etc. people have eaten up stupid celebrity drama with a spoon for centuries, but it was always names from one of those other categories until now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
spending my life watching videos about mr beast

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

echinopsis posted:

spending my life watching videos about mr beast

mr the la beast?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

ok i finally read an explainer on it. i was worried because i follow the "Try" channel on youtube which is basically Adorable Irish People React To Things, and i was worried they exploded

same, i was like "oh no is there some horrible reason we don't see leather jacket guy anymore"

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

graph posted:

they didnt learn from doing it in the 90s so theyre doing it now

Lol if you think any current internet personalities remember the 90s.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"i want to be a youtube streamer when i grow up" is no different from "i want to be an actor/model/tv host" like kids have said forever. it's just as dumb and shallow and just as harmless, at the surface level at least. it isn't ruining their brains any more than mtv etc.

the nazis on youtube do make internet streaming a little more pernicious than tv back in the day, though, imo.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

"i want to be a youtube streamer when i grow up" is no different from "i want to be an actor/model/tv host" like kids have said forever. it's just as dumb and shallow and just as harmless, at the surface level at least. it isn't ruining their brains any more than mtv etc.

the nazis on youtube do make internet streaming a little more pernicious than tv back in the day, though, imo.

i have complex emotions about New Media but i think we can all agree that its definitely new.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rotor posted:

i have complex emotions about New Media but i think we can all agree that its definitely new.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i find it very interesting that shows seem to be going back to a weekly schedule for a lot of things. i really do feel like i enjoy a show more when i watch one episode a week for a few months than three or four a night for a few days.

there are still shows where i'll wait until i can watch them all (eg better call saul) but overall i'm glad to be going back to weekly releases and hope the trend continues.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im hoping a knock-on effect will be more episodic stuff rather than overarching prestige storylines. obviously the big shows that started the whole prestige _thing_ were weekly so it isn't a slam dunk but i'm still hoping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
https://twitter.com/fakehistoryhunt/status/1575244382114316289