Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

burning swine posted:

I needed to use teams today from my laptop so I decided to try it in a browser instead of installing the junk

and I was reminded that teams does not work in a browser unless you turn on 3rd party cookies, no thanks

i just use edge on mac for teams calls and literally nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

burning swine posted:

and I was reminded that teams does not work in a browser unless you turn on 3rd party cookies, no thanks

if you use teams in a browser, when people call you it just silently fails with no indication on your end
meetings work fine. go figure.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

never had teams not work, but also never had teams miss an opportunity to be janky and surprising about it.

this is my experience

i remember for three months clicking on images to embiggen them would just sometimes open a black window i couldn't close, then one day i noticed it had not done that in a while vOv

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Teams never quite remembers which screen I put it on last. I leave it maximised on my 4k laptop 99% of the time, but each fresh start it opens halfway onto the adjacent monitor, and then Windows' scaling blows it up so it completely covers both my non-4k external monitors.

I'd usually blame Windows but it's consistently only Teams, even our ERP garbage that has a second's delay in dragging windows around remembers where I (eventually) put them to between sessions.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
teams ux is atrocious. so many times do i put the meeting controls somewhere on the desktop, someone says something i need to chime in on, and it takes 30 seconds for me to find the window.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Teams "together mode" is all you need to know about the quality of the ideas going into teams video calls.

Also, the fact that anyone can trigger it is loving hilarious

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

Teams "together mode" is all you need to know about the quality of the ideas going into teams video calls.

Also, the fact that anyone can trigger it is loving hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGsNmYKgeTA lol

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

~Coxy posted:

if you use teams in a browser, when people call you it just silently fails with no indication on your end
meetings work fine. go figure.

this actually sounds awesome

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pathetic lol

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Last Chance posted:

its a miracle that my work landed on using zoom instead of all the other microsoft poo poo they usually like. zoom seems to work pretty well most of the time

Could be worse. Could be the california state legal system all around this lovely rear end platform.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

loving TEAMS PIECE OF poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the teams app literally telling me that my browser is unsupported and to try the app instead

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Is moving to Windows 11 worthwhile yet?
Any performance incentives?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i put up with 11 not letting me put the taskbar on the side of the screen for a while, thinking it would be addressed eventually. they really don't want it there, obviously. have they seen monitor ratios these days. finally went back to 10, petulantly.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
windows is made for users on 640x480 monitors in tyool 2022

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

saw someone sharing their screen with win 11 today. i still can't believe they moved the start button to the "middle" and i'm not sure if it was the default, but the loving weather was in the bottom left corner. pathetic.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
yes that is the default.

you can't move the start menu button without a registry hack, either

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yes that is the default.

you can't move the start menu button without a registry hack, either
they did 'fix' that tiny issue oddly:
Personalisation -> Taskbar -> Taskbar behaviours -> Taskbar alignment [Left | Centre]

however you're still stuck with large taskbar icons, no titles, grouped with no alternatives. and the clock in the bottom right can't show seconds. not touching that outside of work until they make that part at all usable

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

picturing this but it's opposing counsels in a court room and it's just depressing as hell

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

virtual bailiff shows up as a smaller circle view attached to judge, starts typing in voice and op assignments to maintain order

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 21, 2022

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

microsoft have started pushing win11 22H2 over windows update. the list of new features is, for lack of a better word, lame as heck: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/inside-this-update-93c5c27c-f96e-43c2-a08e-5812d92f220d. also ive heard theyve hosed with the audio section in the settings app even more by further burying previously convenient and easy-to-access options.

however because im a sucker for punishment as well as a literal sucker im going and installing it on my home PC. looking forward to getting ruined

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

trip report: very disappointed, the update installed fairly seamlessly and didn't break anything. looks the same as before.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it undid my regedit scroll wheel changes, like all previous major updates. on the other hand i can hide more of the 'recent apps' start menu area

not all of it, though. gotta leave something for 2023

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Pile Of Garbage posted:

microsoft have started pushing win11 22H2 over windows update. the list of new features is, for lack of a better word, lame as heck: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/inside-this-update-93c5c27c-f96e-43c2-a08e-5812d92f220d. also ive heard theyve hosed with the audio section in the settings app even more by further burying previously convenient and easy-to-access options.

however because im a sucker for punishment as well as a literal sucker im going and installing it on my home PC. looking forward to getting ruined

i upgraded my desktop pc and it broke so many things related to audio and bluetooth it finally drove me back to mac 100%

i'm putting off upgrading at work as long as i can, hopefully i get another year or two out of this laptop running 10

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Agile Vector posted:

it undid my regedit scroll wheel changes, like all previous major updates. on the other hand i can hide more of the 'recent apps' start menu area

not all of it, though. gotta leave something for 2023

it takes awhile to win the internal battle against the manager that drove adding the recent apps area and making it required

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
but just think about how juicy his bonus was

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm so glad i use a commercial operating system. not like one of those operating systems maintained by amateurs who break things constantly where i have to look up weird hacker websites that tell me to edit configuration files and also the sound doesn't work

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

Press the Nexus button on your controller

here I was thinking that it was the Xbox button

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

FWIW i've never seen a Win10 or Win11 update revert any settings made via Local Group Policy which is where you can disable 90% of the bullshit.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

this is the only new feature that i like in win11 22h2:

https://i.imgur.com/dM3GqOJ.mp4

seems easier than using win+arrowkeys and quicker than hovering over the maximise button of a window.

edit: i've got no use for it on my PC at home which is just hooked up to my garbage sony bravia TV that only does 720p except sometimes 1080p idk. however ive got an ultrawide at work so looking forward to using it there

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 28, 2022

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Pile Of Garbage posted:

seems easier than using win+arrowkeys

:raise:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

seems easier than using win+arrowkeys and quicker than hovering over the maximise button of a window.

edit: i've got no use for it on my PC at home which is just hooked up to my garbage sony bravia TV that only does 720p except sometimes 1080p idk. however ive got an ultrawide at work so looking forward to using it there
Yeah I love tons of microscopic drag and drop targets that aren't quite at the edge of the screen too! So much easier than using shortcut keys!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah on reflection it's not exactly the height of usablitiy

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

seems weird they wouldn't just make that appear when you hover over the maximise button and let you click it like macos does. redmond, start your photocopiers.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

chaosbreather posted:

seems weird they wouldn't just make that appear when you hover over the maximise button and let you click it like macos does. redmond, start your photocopiers.

this is new in addition to that already being in there

never really found myself using anything more than win+arrows myself.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

so it appears that since installing 22H2 write speeds to my NAS via SMB3 have almost doubled. my NAS is connected to my PC via 10GbE and prior to installing the update i'd usually get around 500MB/s when copying from local SSD to the NAS. now since installing the update i'm getting around 1GB/s (averages between 800 and 900MB/s).

im not 100% sure whether or not installing the update is responsible for the change and it could just be a coinkydink but nothing else has changed with my setup other than installing the update. either way it's good news for the craven dingus data hermit named Pile Of Garbage.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one of my favourite piles of garbage

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i use aero snap on win10 all the time. it seems like the new version adds an extra step for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
do the shortcuts and dragging to corners/left edge/right edge not still work?