Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

echinopsis posted:

one of my favourite piles of garbage

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
install powertoys

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

do the shortcuts and dragging to corners/left edge/right edge not still work?

everything that used to work still works (in this narrow area) afaik

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

everything that used to work still works (in this narrow area) afaik

cool

Silver Alicorn posted:

install powertoys

hell yeah

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Silver Alicorn posted:

install powertoys

:hmmyes:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just ordered some powertoys online

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Mr. Nice! posted:

i use aero snap on win10 all the time. it seems like the new version adds an extra step for no reason.

same, microsoft loves to destroy years of established productivity related muscle memory for no reason

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don’t get what’s going on in that picture

all I know about windows 11 is that it’s now less obvious what programs are open but minimised

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

echinopsis posted:

all I know about windows 11 is that it’s now less obvious what programs are open but minimised

huh?
I'm looking at my Windows 10 right now and I can't see any difference between programs that are open with a window, open maximised, and open minimised.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

my boi, look what they've done to my boi! they've massacred him!

i really can't fathom why they did that to task manager. it's functionally identical so going to town on the layout just feels like a listless UI person mucking around looking for something to do oh whoops their branch got merged

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

huh?
I'm looking at my Windows 10 right now and I can't see any difference between programs that are open with a window, open maximised, and open minimised.

hmm maybe it's just the theme of the windows 11 pc we have at work. anyways

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

they did 'fix' that tiny issue oddly:
Personalisation -> Taskbar -> Taskbar behaviours -> Taskbar alignment [Left | Centre]

however you're still stuck with large taskbar icons, no titles, grouped with no alternatives. and the clock in the bottom right can't show seconds. not touching that outside of work until they make that part at all usable

it’s extremely infuriating to need two actions (one to hover over the grouped icons, one to select which window) when switching windows instead of one

I have literally 30” of blank taskbar space they could use.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

UI people think everything is a phone now.

windows 12 will have all the UI hidden off the edges of the screen and only accessible by swiping

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sweevo posted:

UI people think everything is a phone now.

windows 12 will have all the UI hidden off the edges of the screen and only accessible by swiping
They already did that with some stuff in 8 and had to change it back

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
shake your monitor to switch to another desktop

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cortana politely notifies me that physically shaking with rage is not a supported full-body gesture.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Cortana politely notifies me that physically shaking with rage is not a supported full-body gesture.

*repeatedly showing middle fingers at the display open several f1 help menus*

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol wat
https://twitter.com/foone/status/1576241763924475904
https://twitter.com/foone/status/1576242289688862720
https://twitter.com/foone/status/1576247078988447744

CACHE MANIFEST
Sep 17, 2022

that's not too surprising. legacy notepad was a resizable run dialog control

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah we used to have programs that fit into megabytes, even kilobytes of memory and were very responsive even on the anemic hardware of the day.

then the electron clan invaded

to be fair c++ is haaaard, guys. what am i, a programmer or something?i don't want to think about any of that pointer ownership stuff

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

CACHE MANIFEST posted:

that's not too surprising. legacy notepad was a resizable run dialog control

yeah, i'm not sure why it's surprising here, seems like a text ui drawing pattern taken to a full gui environment

if you consider icon fonts for web apps the same idea, it's an interesting footnote that nobody every really stopped doing that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah we used to have programs that fit into megabytes, even kilobytes of memory and were very responsive even on the anemic hardware of the day.

then the electron clan invaded

to be fair c++ is haaaard, guys. what am i, a programmer or something?i don't want to think about any of that pointer ownership stuff

do you actually think people should be juggling pointers in c++ to make any random little app in 2022? at minimum a huge ongoing security issue.

besides which no one should be bigger fans of electron than linux on the desktop fans, just barely saved it from complete irrelevancy

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

if only there were some middle ground between bare metal assembly and writing 40mb calculator apps where each button is a webpage displaying an SVG...

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sweevo posted:

if only there were some middle ground between bare metal assembly and writing 40mb calculator apps where each button is a webpage displaying an SVG...

*mostly* i don't really want some renewed c++ minimalism garbage.

*but* i've also increasingly come around to the only real issue with electron being javascript itself. in that i can't actually imagine a *different* display engine feature-set than just by and large matching browsers. like, would it improve anything to remove svg rendering or whatever? we figuring that'd make people build good applications?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

a sort of 32bit api targeting windows, you might say

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sweevo posted:

good thing something like that hasn't existed for 50 years now...

as of this year, C is 50 years old

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 3, 2022

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

good thing that something like hasn't existed for 50 years now...

as of this year, C really is 50 years old

50 years of buggy software

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
apple platforms still use unmanaged languages for user interface development and they have more money than God. seems to be working out just fine for them

even managed languages (including javascript) could be tolerable, it's html and css that are the problem.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

*but* i've also increasingly come around to the only real issue with electron being javascript itself. in that i can't actually imagine a *different* display engine feature-set than just by and large matching browsers. like, would it improve anything to remove svg rendering or whatever? we figuring that'd make people build good applications?

i'm the opposite of this actually: i don't mind that it's javascript, like it or hate it there's an incredible amount of money and talent going into making js interpretation and dom render fast and featureful. i am fine with desktop apps that are made by writing javascript. but things like electron are bad because they're bringing in way way way too much browser. you need a web content renderer and some extra js apis for stuff desktop apps should do, not a piece-by-piece selection of half of chromium plus a whole separate node process. i really hope something like https://tauri.app/ takes off because i think it's the best path forward given where we are today

mystes
May 31, 2006

Phobeste posted:

i'm the opposite of this actually: i don't mind that it's javascript, like it or hate it there's an incredible amount of money and talent going into making js interpretation and dom render fast and featureful. i am fine with desktop apps that are made by writing javascript. but things like electron are bad because they're bringing in way way way too much browser. you need a web content renderer and some extra js apis for stuff desktop apps should do, not a piece-by-piece selection of half of chromium plus a whole separate node process. i really hope something like https://tauri.app/ takes off because i think it's the best path forward given where we are today
I don't really think webviews are that different from using electron

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

doesn’t electron include an entire instance of chromrium into the app? like it’s own separate version of chrome that can fall out of date and stuff

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's definitely better in terms of patching security vulnerabilities*, executable size, and stuff, I just find it weird that people are like "oh my god it's horrible that gui programs are a webrowser now but if it was just a web page in a webview control it would be fine"

*: Well in the engine at least, it presumably won't stop apps from accidentally including external pages incorrectly so they get access to stuff they shouldn't

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 2, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sapozhnik posted:

apple platforms still use unmanaged languages for user interface development and they have more money than God. seems to be working out just fine for them

even managed languages (including javascript) could be tolerable, it's html and css that are the problem.

any day now swiftui will be production ready

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

javascript is far and away the w orst part of the web. its not even close. html is only bad in that it is not strictly XML and css is bad in that netscape/mozilla people were allowed to have a hand in its creation.

javascript is irredeemable

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

electron is one big webview. like thats not a joke. thats litterrally what it is and what it is intended to be

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Phobeste posted:

if javascript werent a piece of poo poo nobody would need to spend money and talent on making it work.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

yeah, electron may not be the *way* to do it long-term. mostly i've come around to browsers being about as good a rich rendering/layout engine as you can possibly get in 2022, and avoiding them you'll mostly start reinventing a lot of you do except eventually worse and slower.

worse, i've come around on the central ui conventions on the web actually being pretty good. e.g. convention of a vertically scrolling rich text-like document with a handful of flavors of interactable elements. good ones sometimes feel more like an evolution of terminal apps than classic rich ui apps; just let that a lot of text scroll so it is all there.

away from electron the lol-microsoft content is just how many ways of building and shipping such apps they now own. they're moving their stuff onto "edge webview2 evergreen", which is a single stable-channel edge version installed on system level with electron trappings. ultimately the underpinnings shouldn't be much heavier than opening another tab, but of course (javascript being the main problem i see) the applications themselves tend to be absolute pigs.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this is btw why if you're on windows 11 you likely have two incompatible versions of teams installed. one is the one you use and the other is the non-electron one.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if Electron Hellworld is something that we simply must have then at least standardize it and make it part of the operating system. Make a WebPackage and WebFFI standard or some poo poo so I don't have ten different 300MB copies of Chrome kicking around.

It won't happen though because an operating system-level Chrome means operating system-level adblockers and we can't have that now can we

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

excellent idea, should do it on ios first of course to save some space on phone platforms, but then microsoft should get on it as the electron owners. they could call it something like '"edge webview2 evergreen".