Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Oh yeah, I should've probably mentioned that you do need to do a prerequiste quest to be able to use glamours, lmao. It's been so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

Early-game glamour tip: if you have MB access, the Peacelover's Attire coffer is fairly cheap and will give you a pair of pretty good-looking ripped jeans to cover your subligars, as well as some other hippy-ish stuff. The Hraesvelgr attire coffers might also be cheap now, too, and is more classically fantasy if you like that.

Most of the "Anemos" items are also dirt cheap, and include things like suspenders and a cool leather jacket.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vermain posted:

IIRC, there's still a quest in Revenant's Toll that'll unlock it at 15, which can be handy if you started in Gridania and can't reach Thanalan yet due to MSQ gating. It's admittedly a bit of a harrowing jaunt to Mor Dhona, but it's worth it if it means fewer subligar hours.

99% sure you can walk between East Thanalan and the South Shroud at any time, which would be safer than getting to Mor Dhona.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

tbh it's a lot shorter trek to go from north shroud, hug the left wall through coerthas to mor dhona than the other way to central thanalan.

not that it matters since you will eventually run into the quest as you go through the msq as a matter of course.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Alxprit posted:

I should absolutely add a section on glamours. Let me see if I can sum it up quickly.

Using a glamour prism on an item makes it "equip" over the item of your choice. This is locked into place until you use a glamour dispeller. It makes it somewhat inconvenient to use, but the alternative system that most use instead is via the glamour dresser, located in any city with an inn mostly. In here, you can spend a glamour prism to put an item into the dresser. Then, by hitting the modify glamour plates option, you can create, essentially, an on-demand outfit that can be equipped over anything you have on at the time. You can tie glamour plates to gear sets so that every time you re-equip that set it puts the outfit back on, even if you've updated your gear.

Some glamour restrictions include:
You can't put on anything you aren't high enough level to equip if it were normal. (EG: I have a level 86 hood on my glamour that I can't use unless I'm 86 or higher.)
You can't put on anything that's exclusive to a class you currently aren't. (EG: the fancy Blue Mage outfits can't be worn by classes other than Blue Mage.)

You also can't glamour an item as a higher-level item, even if you could wear the higher-level item itself. For instance, I farmed Dzemael Darkhold for the Pince-Nez, a level 44 pair of rose-colored glasses. The otherwise best armor I had for that slot was 41, so when I put the glasses in the dresser, I found I couldn't glam them over the other hat. Wound up taking the glasses out and wearing them, but because they were already part of the glamour plate, I wound up wearing them glammed as themselves. It was a tiny bit weird.

You can take slight advantage of the equipment restrictions, because if you equip something that's glammed for something you can't equip, it'll show the base item.

This outfit is wearing Weaver chest, Alchemist head, Culinarian gloves, and... Leatherworker pants, I think, none of the crafters have real stand-out unique pants. When I'm a Weaver, I'm wearing the nice tailcoat and whatever half-gloves or straps go on hands in a generic crafter set. When I'm a Culinarian, I've got my oven mitts on and a decent but unimpressive workshirt. Although I do wish they'd relax restrictions further, I want to sew with oven mitts on.
And of course I have a second set for the other four jobs.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I got around today to continuing the MSQ content, unlocking my Chocobo (finally) and the PvP content; or in theory anyways, they appeared on my duty finder but are still locked? Says requirements not met and is very cryptic about it.

Example:

Daily Challenge: Frontline
Following Requirements Not Met:

Class: Any job of the Disciples of War or Magic (excluding limited jobs)

Does this mean I actually need like Summoner to level 30?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If you're in the free trial, you can't do PvP, including Frontline. Otherwise, you need level 30 and you need to be using a job stone.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Yes. You need a job stone equipped, you can't be a class. In this example, you have to be a Scholar or a Summoner, but not an Arcanist.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I got around today to continuing the MSQ content, unlocking my Chocobo (finally) and the PvP content; or in theory anyways, they appeared on my duty finder but are still locked? Says requirements not met and is very cryptic about it.

Example:

Daily Challenge: Frontline
Following Requirements Not Met:

Class: Any job of the Disciples of War or Magic (excluding limited jobs)

Does this mean I actually need like Summoner to level 30?

pretty sure to do PVP you have to be a Job (ie, the thing with the stone that you equip) and not just a base class, so like Summoner/Scholar and not just base Arcanist.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Vitamean posted:

at some point (I think in 4.1?) they changed the glamour prism unlock quest from a level 50 quest in revenant's toll to a level 15 quest in central thanalan, from the same npc that you unlock dyes from. you can pick up the quest on any class - the npc also offers a 3rd quest for level 15 crafters to teach them how to craft glamour prisms (finish the quest if you want, but it's generally inefficient to craft prisms from scratch).

Unfortunately you also have to do that quest in order to buy the Emperor's New [Blank] items so it is, in fact, essential. :negative:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Gotcha, thanks!

Is it just me, revisiting the waking sands for just before the visit to Gridania to see to the Sylphs; but does Thancred have a spoilery bugged line? End of ARR Spoilers: He talks about Raubahn having a traitor under his command, but that hasn't happened yet? Other than giving him the message from Kan-E-Senna I've not interacted with him yet in the MSQ!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Alxprit posted:

Some glamour restrictions include:
You can't put on anything you aren't high enough level to equip if it were normal. (EG: I have a level 86 hood on my glamour that I can't use unless I'm 86 or higher.)
You can't put on anything that's exclusive to a class you currently aren't. (EG: the fancy Blue Mage outfits can't be worn by classes other than Blue Mage.)

I think the restriction is actually that you can't use something as a glamour if it has a higher level requirement to equip than what you're glamouring over. So that immediately rules out glamouring with equipment that you can't equip yet, since it'll have a higher equip level than what you're wearing.

However, a less common problem can come up when you're wearing Tomestone equipment around the x0 levels (50/60/etc)- that stuff usually has a higher iLVL than equipment at the next couple equipment levels. So for example, the tomestone armor for level 60 might have an item level of 270, while armor for level 61 might only have an item level of 260. You cannot use the level 61 armor to glamour your level 60 tomestone armor, even if you can equip both.

Edit: crap, I didn't update the thread before posting this, and it was already covered. Sorry!

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 29, 2022

Leavy
Feb 15, 2003

rufus
:siren: reminder that the discord has terrible spoiler etiquette, I’ve had more poo poo spoiled just browsing the basic channels than even my recommended YouTube thumbnails :siren:

just stick to the new player chat, it’s the only place people have any semblance of where they’re posting. even when I was at the level 82 quests I had major spoilers before an admin deleted the posts from general chat

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

hopeandjoy posted:

Unfortunately you also have to do that quest in order to buy the Emperor's New [Blank] items so it is, in fact, essential. :negative:

These can be purchased off the marketboard (or just traded straight out, naturally; you could even just try shouting at randos wandering nearby)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Raenir Salazar posted:

Gotcha, thanks!

Is it just me, revisiting the waking sands for just before the visit to Gridania to see to the Sylphs; but does Thancred have a spoilery bugged line? End of ARR Spoilers: He talks about Raubahn having a traitor under his command, but that hasn't happened yet? Other than giving him the message from Kan-E-Senna I've not interacted with him yet in the MSQ!

A Flame was working with Ungust and the Amaljaa. No shortage of traitors in Raubahn's commands.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

sassassin posted:

A Flame was working with Ungust and the Amaljaa. No shortage of traitors in Raubahn's commands.

AHAH! I thought I forgot about something! So this was for when you first deal with Ifrit right?

I got confused :D

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Do I have to unlock dungeons with quests? Feels like after I unlock Warrior I will need to run around and do that if that is a thing.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Many unlock through msq progression, many are optional blue checkmarks. Doing every blue you see will mostly serve you well to get at all the content. I think in Stormblood on they start tricking me with food rewards under blues...

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Doomykins posted:

Many unlock through msq progression, many are optional blue checkmarks. Doing every blue you see will mostly serve you well to get at all the content. I think in Stormblood on they start tricking me with food rewards under blues...

Before I started leveling the Maurader I was doing that. Unlocked a ball dance which is :krad:.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nearly everything in the game is unlocked through quests, most of which will be tied to MSQ progression as well. Most dungeons, especially post-ARR, are directly in the main story. There are a handful of optional ones, especially once you hit level 50, so keep an eye open for blue + quests that aren't jobs, etc.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Nearly everything in the game is unlocked through quests, most of which will be tied to MSQ progression as well. Most dungeons, especially post-ARR, are directly in the main story. There are a handful of optional ones, especially once you hit level 50, so keep an eye open for blue + quests that aren't jobs, etc.

Awesome thank you! After I unlock warrior I will keep trucking on the main story

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Mesadoram posted:

Awesome thank you! After I unlock warrior I will keep trucking on the main story

The game doesn't make this clear but unlocking your job upgrade (like warrior) is also locked behind msq progression. The msq quest that you need to complete to unlock jobs is a lvl 22 quest but because of newbie experience boosts a lot of people hit 30 before completing it.

The quest in question (very minor msq spoilers) is called Sylph management and occurs shortly after you join a grand company

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Mainwaring posted:

The game doesn't make this clear but unlocking your job upgrade (like warrior) is also locked behind msq progression. The msq quest that you need to complete to unlock jobs is a lvl 22 quest but because of newbie experience boosts a lot of people hit 30 before completing it.

The quest in question (very minor msq spoilers) is called Sylph management and occurs shortly after you join a grand company

I tested this out last week. It's actually the quest before that one, or at the very least, you can unlock the job while having that quest in progression.

Flair fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 29, 2022

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Mainwaring posted:

Good to know, gotta check later to see if I did that. I am 1/8th of the bar away from level 30. Excited to see what new tools the Warrior class will unlock. Marauder has been a blast so far.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I just made it to the Stone Vigil on my singleplayer only run. I do find it strange that the NPCs in duty support forgo the job upgrade and soul crystal. They stay as Marauder, Lancer, Thaumaturge, and Conjurer. (Also, they don't let you double up on a job even if it is DPS i.e. if I am a Lancer or Dragoon, I cannot bring the NPC lancer.)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The class / job restrictions are pretty story-based. Most job stones are exceedingly rare and controlled, especially things like White Mage or Black Mage.

Mechanically the npc squad doesn't care, but lore-wise the WoL having access to any of them at all really is a big deal.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I think of the ARR jobs the only job stones that aren't super rare in-universe are for Dragoon, and even then it's more a single city-state's highly specialized fighting force than something any rando can get. I could be wrong, I haven't unlocked every job, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. Even later jobs are still fairly scarce—Dancer is a fighting style taught by a single troupe that's still mostly non-combatants, for instance.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Very belated answer, but

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there a point to RDM's Enchanted Reprise (the skill you get at 76)?

E.Reprise has precisely two specific use cases:
  • Salvaging your rotation if you start your melee combo with 40-49 black and/or red mana by accident. (Not that I have ever done such a thing in the heat of battle, no no.) All the other Enchanted moves cost at least 15 mana, and using any mana-giving attack will reset the stacks you need to perform Verflare/Verholy (as well as Scorch and Resolution, which are follow-up attacks you get later on), so at 5 mana E.Reprise will let you get the last stack you need to continue your combo if you come up a little short. Does this give more DPS than just letting your melee combo fizzle and going back to verslamming things with spells? I dunno, you'd have to ask the math people. It does make your initial mana count fuckup feel less severe, from a purely psychological standpoint.
  • Pivoting out of your melee combo, when you get separated from the boss for a significant period of time, without losing the Verflare/Verholy followup. Unlike the other Enchanted moves, E.Reprise is a ranged attack; ergo, if you get separated from the boss by a lingering no-no zone, you can use E.Reprise as a bridge into Verflare/Verholy and its follow-ups.
All that said, if you're low on hotbar space, taking out E.Reprise isn't going to cause you to lose significant DPS. (Unless you make that first mistake a lot.)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Like Clockwork posted:

I think of the ARR jobs the only job stones that aren't super rare in-universe are for Dragoon, and even then it's more a single city-state's highly specialized fighting force than something any rando can get. I could be wrong, I haven't unlocked every job, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. Even later jobs are still fairly scarce—Dancer is a fighting style taught by a single troupe that's still mostly non-combatants, for instance.

Paladins are on an open recruitment drive because not enough people want to join the club, not super rare items.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I watched the 30 min history YouTube someone posted before I started and it’s amazing how much different the game feels when you have some idea what the people are even talking about

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Canonically how long if it were "in real life" would it take to walk from Gridania to Ul'Dah? They're like on different parts of the continent right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How did I never loving notice that Eorzea is shaped like Africa?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I didn’t notice until I watched that video I mentioned which was linked on page 3 or something

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

lol gently caress me I'm absolutely blind.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

girl dick energy posted:

We're too used to Fantasy Europe.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bruceski posted:

We're too used to Fantasy Europe.

And upside-down Fantasy Europe.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
La Noscea is even just Madagascar on the other side.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Does this mean that the New World where Blue Magic comes from is just Malaysia and Indonesia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Funky Valentine posted:

Does this mean that the New World where Blue Magic comes from is just Malaysia and Indonesia.

It might be Australia