Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Amppelix posted:

In the first dungeon of zero on normal mode i did not need to do anything besides mash the confirm button with turbo on to get past all the normal encounters, with completely negligible resource loss. Is this a trend and i should play on hard if i want to be challenged by non-boss enemies or will it get tougher?

Corollary question, if i do play on hard will i regret it immensely come lategame bosses

I mean, playing on Hard or Nightmare, you'll get through the enemies in the first dungeon the exact same way 'cus there's really not whole lot else to do at that point in the game.

Feel free to bump up the difficulty though, it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macinirol
Sep 27, 2011
Lord of the Rings is very good. Unfortunately however it is not a JRPG and therefore it is much worse than the Trails series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Macinirol posted:

Lord of the Rings is very good. Unfortunately however it is not a JRPG and therefore it is much worse than the Trails series.
theres that bad ps2 lord of the rings game thats just ffx

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Terper posted:

I mean, playing on Hard or Nightmare, you'll get through the enemies in the first dungeon the exact same way 'cus there's really not whole lot else to do at that point in the game.

Feel free to bump up the difficulty though, it's fine.
I would love to just experimentally do that but I'm asking because this game does not have difficulty adjustment on the fly as far as i can tell, so it's the entire playthrough or nothing and i would rather not find out 30 hours from now that it was a bad idea lol

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
On the one hand I kind of want to play Zero. On the other I am like 60 hours deep (Chapter 4) in Xenoblade 3 and I have been meaning to get back into that.

Really, I do have more than enough ridiculously large JRPGs in my life. Not that it has ever stopped me, mind. :v:

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 30, 2022

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Zero has one big difficulty spike near the end of chapter 2, but for the most part, it is not super difficult.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Amppelix posted:

I would love to just experimentally do that but I'm asking because this game does not have difficulty adjustment on the fly as far as i can tell, so it's the entire playthrough or nothing and i would rather not find out 30 hours from now that it was a bad idea lol

It's fine 'cus it won't be a bad idea, Zero isn't really difficult.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I definitely would not recommend Hard for Azure when that comes out.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

yeah, Azure is a lot harder

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Eh, I did Azure on Hard and it wasn't awful (caveat: Lloyd became Fie).

I think you can do the Crossbell games on either, but there's an easy measurement. There's a solo boss early on in Zero that's a good measurement of how painful you want it to be, because it's a timed fight that you have to win for maximum DP.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
The final boss on Zero's nightmare is kind of a bitch even on NG+

Azure has some pretty tough bosses, especially if you want maximum CP.

Protip is make Lloyd an evasion tank and timing Tio's zero field to eat S crafts.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cyouni posted:

Eh, I did Azure on Hard and it wasn't awful (caveat: Lloyd became Fie).

I think you can do the Crossbell games on either, but there's an easy measurement. There's a solo boss early on in Zero that's a good measurement of how painful you want it to be, because it's a timed fight that you have to win for maximum DP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn7MFUvmabY

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Some Numbers posted:

Zero has one big difficulty spike near the end of chapter 2, but for the most part, it is not super difficult.

Which is this?

E: Oh the Yin boss fight?

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 30, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why waste time on JRPGs when you could just read The Color Of Her Panties by Piers Anthony

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Which is this?

E: Oh the Yin boss fight?

yup

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How is the combat in Zero? I played Skies 1 and 2 and Cold Steel 1. I wouldn't call them amazing or anything but I thought they are bare minimum pretty fun.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zero's combat is more similar to the Skies than Cold Steel, but I think its improved over the earlier games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Basically the same as Skies only you can get through trash mobs quicker by surprise attacking them and you get combo crafts that just kill everything.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

How is the combat in Zero? I played Skies 1 and 2 and Cold Steel 1. I wouldn't call them amazing or anything but I thought they are bare minimum pretty fun.

Basically Sky combat, but with lots of the extra wrinkles like field attacks, evasion tanking, rush attacks, etc. that were put into Cold Steel.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Also Master Quartz come in eventually in Crossbell. Might only be in Azure?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That's an Azure thing, along with something that's basically Overdrives on steroids.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cyouni posted:

Also Master Quartz come in eventually in Crossbell. Might only be in Azure?

yeah, Master Quartz are the mid series orbment change

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ah, well. I played some more and I'm feeling too lazy to restart already unless the game gets like really boring which it probably won't.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Is there no way to open the full local map in zero? Is it just the minimap?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Press whatever your equivalent of RB is, depending on where you are that also just opens up the overall map which confused me for a bit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol at Wazy's formal attire still having his trademark bare midriff

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

840$, more than worth it. (I've been playing since 2011 and buy LE's)

I love the entire series dearly, and the only real difference between the arcs to me is how far the series is both progress wise and console wise. Sky's super cool and charming and I wouldnt change it for the world, but there wouldnt be any difference to Suikoden if we just kept getting self contained country based stories about revolutions and crazy plot bastards, instead of making a huge spanning plot featuring all parts of the world and hundreds of extremely developed characters, some of them in multiple arcs. Sure I have some caveats and a few missed balls, but my enjoyment is like, a thousand times higher than those small issues. Can't wait for Trails of Zemuria, the final game in the series where we can visit every city on the continent and talk to every npc 10 times for a 1000 hour RPG.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

MythosDragon posted:

Can't wait for Trails of Zemuria, the final game in the series where we can visit every city on the continent and talk to every npc 10 times for a 1000 hour RPG.

Would only have been possible if Falcom hadn't continually dumped the assets from prior games. Imagine if CS4 had allowed us to return to Eastern Erebonia too.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CS4 did not need to be even longer tbh.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I want Trails to be shorter but more polished and focused games instead of bloated open world behemoths thanks.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Would only have been possible if Falcom hadn't continually dumped the assets from prior games. Imagine if CS4 had allowed us to return to Eastern Erebonia too.

Seems more likely they knew the old assets didn't hold up compared to the new ones. There's a zoomed out view of Legram using it's CS1/2 model in CS4 and even at the distance they show it from you can still tell that kind of looks like poo poo in comparison

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The clear answer: Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 Remastered, featuring 20 hours of new content!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played P5R, I could easily do that for games I actually liked

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I could see them remaking Sky and eventually Crossbell down the line and we all get to complain about it not being true to the original or not changed enough.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ImpAtom posted:

The clear answer: Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 Remastered, featuring 20 hours of new content!

Don't threaten me with a good time!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Falcom needs to remake Ys 5 already before doing any of that with Trails.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Are you not playing the YS mobile game, show your dedication

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The same one mentioned last page? Thought that was Ys 6 and I've already played that one!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm really enjoying zero but exactly the thing that i thought would happen is happening: because it's all taking place in crossbell, I'm already in chapter 1 getting sick of doing the exact same rounds to speak to every single npc after every dialogue update

But it's not like i can stop doing it either, i love the writing too much for that. I would rather not play at all than not experience all the NPC stories. So i just suffer for my entertainment yet again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Amppelix posted:

I'm really enjoying zero but exactly the thing that i thought would happen is happening: because it's all taking place in crossbell, I'm already in chapter 1 getting sick of doing the exact same rounds to speak to every single npc after every dialogue update

But it's not like i can stop doing it either, i love the writing too much for that. I would rather not play at all than not experience all the NPC stories. So i just suffer for my entertainment yet again!

Yeah
Crossbell suffers immensely due to its size.
Liberl and Erebonia both average to like half an hour for NPC runs, so it's a refreshing change of pace from plot and gameplay. In Crossbell it's 2 hours.... so it's a job.