Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

For me, it was an early episode of Tales from the Crypt: S01E02 - And All Through the House. I was about to turn 7 years old. I remember watching it in the living room with my older brother while my mom was distracted by a phone call out on the front porch. We kind of laughed throughout the episode but once we were upstairs in bed I was certain a demented Santa was going to climb up the side of our house and murder us with an axe. I kept my brother up most of the night talking about bullshit because I was too petrified for sleep. Gave me nightmares for YEARS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Drg5z9-w8

haljordan fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The mouth growing over with skin in the twilight zone movie.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

E.T. gave me the deep creeps. I'm not scared anymore (I'm very brave and old), but that creature still disgusts me.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

kntfkr posted:

The mouth growing over with skin in the twilight zone movie.

yeah that was a pretty creepy segment. the original episode that it was based on was also demented as gently caress.

edit: Actually the TV series version was even worse because the kid kills all of the crops with snow at the end and you're left assuming everyone will eventually starve to death

haljordan fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 1, 2022

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
"Darby O'Gill and the Little People" scared me as a kid. The Banshee terrified me for some reason. I think it was the weird special effects processing and the sort of jump scare of it being right outside the door when Darby opened it. Or maybe it was the fact that Sean Connery was in it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Also everything scared me as a kid. Ghostbusters was my and my cousin's favorite movie and we had to run out of the room when the library ghost came on.

I saw part of Nightmare on Elm Street 3 at 4 years old at my friend's house and I ran screaming home and didn't sleep with my light off until I was 13.
edit: I think that was also the night of the first nightmare I ever remember having.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
As strange as it may seem, the media that probably scared me more than anything in my life was the 1997 NBC made-for-TV remake of The Shining. The scene where the bathtub lady is slowly walking towards the kid just shook 12 year old me to my core for some reason. No, I had not seen the original at the time, and yeah it probably would have scared me more.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
This old movie called Earthquake

I saw it on in a rerun on tv way too young. There's some scene where a truck full of cattle slowly tips off of a raised overpass of a freeway.

I had a bad fear of earthquakes for a long time I did finally get over it

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Librarian decided to read this to the class for Halloween story time in second grade.

It's about an old man that goes hunting and shoots the tail off a weird creature, and having caught nothing else, eats the tail. The creature comes back over several nights crying (in English) for its tail, and every time the man's dogs run it off, one less dog returns to the cabin. Eventually he's out of dogs and it gets into the cabin and takes its tail back, in an implicitly bloody way.

So that was great and definitely not a source of nightmares for young Awkward.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Bakashi's Lord of the Rings. The rotoscoping, the animation, all of it was just terrifying.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh yeah...

I saw it when I was 9 or 10 at my house when my friend was over. I tried so hard to play it cool the entire time but I was terrified. After it was over it was dusk and my mom told me I had to walk my friend home. The second his front door closed I booked it racing the sun all the way home. I guess Pennywise had an impression on me.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
watched event horizon at some trashy cinema that mistakenly advertised it as PG-13 (it's a hard R i would say). I was twelve. went home and decided a corner of the bedroom was possessed by ultimate evil and had to be avoided

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Oh yeah...

I saw it when I was 9 or 10 at my house when my friend was over. I tried so hard to play it cool the entire time but I was terrified. After it was over it was dusk and my mom told me I had to walk my friend home. The second his front door closed I booked it racing the sun all the way home. I guess Pennywise had an impression on me.

Oh yeah this definitely scarred many a young child back in the day

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I don't remember what the movie was but it was always on TV when the Beastmaster wasn't. There is an operating room, yellow stained walls like how everything "white" looks in a a smokers house. The doctor is putting someone under and has a scalpel. There is ominous music playing.

It made me feel very weird in my tummy and I would change the channel. Sometimes I'd change back and there would be some primo 80s gore.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I also remember an episode of Duck Tales that was based on "The Odyssey" and the part where Scrooge McDuck's boat got too close to the island with the sirens always completely terrified me, even though the show ran during the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvmzc5siEpk

haljordan fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 1, 2022

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
A 90s stopmotion short film called The Sandman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjgHbRrnjhU

Still unsettling now

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Kevino07 posted:

A 90s stopmotion short film called The Sandman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjgHbRrnjhU

Still unsettling now

lol like every single comment on this video is from someone who watched this as a kid and still has nightmares about it

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7aqxwTtqnE

I was 6 or 7, not sure. My mom took me to stay with my aunt for a couple of weeks, my first proper vacation. First time at the beach, hanging out with my cousin, it was great...until the night we all settled down to watch this loving thing on TV. Between Danny Glick in his coffin, this fucker in the rocking chair, and a nasty bit of sunburn on my back, I don't think I slept again for the rest of the trip. Those fuckin' eyes, man.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

The music video for Jeremy by Pearl Jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS91knuzoOA

Scared the poo poo out of me as a little kid, didn't understand it being about suicide and thought he froze and killed his class. Still an incredibly effective video now watching it as an adult

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Fentry posted:

The music video for Jeremy by Pearl Jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS91knuzoOA

Scared the poo poo out of me as a little kid, didn't understand it being about suicide and thought he froze and killed his class. Still an incredibly effective video now watching it as an adult

Yeah I was 9 when that video came out and I thought the same exact thing

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The Blob. The original black and white one with Steve McQueen. It hosed me up for years, like sleepless nights and everything. Even Blob adjacent things like The Stuff terrified me.

Everyone made fun of me for it, too. Everyone but my dad. He got me.

You can reasonably fight a frankenstein or a dracula. You can stand a fighting chance with those guys. But how do you fight a blob?

HOW!?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

The episode of the OG Doctor Who with the giant green slimeball thing

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

DangerDummy! posted:

The Blob. The original black and white one with Steve McQueen. It hosed me up for years, like sleepless nights and everything. Even Blob adjacent things like The Stuff terrified me.

Everyone made fun of me for it, too. Everyone but my dad. He got me.

You can reasonably fight a frankenstein or a dracula. You can stand a fighting chance with those guys. But how do you fight a blob?

HOW!?

The remake with Kevin Dillon and Shawnee Smith (whom I had the biggest loving crush on) was also pretty goddamned terrifying

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
brian peppers

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The 1950's version of War of the Worlds. The idea of these ships casually floating around blasting into oblivion anyone they saw, unstoppable and merciless got to me. I saw it on a Saturday matinee on TV, but the idea of a death that couldn't be out clever-ed, cheated or bargained with but was absolute made sleeping hard that night.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

haljordan posted:

The remake with Kevin Dillon and Shawnee Smith (whom I had the biggest loving crush on) was also pretty goddamned terrifying

The movie theater scenes are pretty drat good. Obviously the McQueen version is silly B movie nonsense, but a couple of the scenes in the movie were very well done for its time.

I used to get Shawnee Smith and Danielle Harris mixed up all the time somehow. Their ages don't really line up at all afaik.

e: Kinda inside baseball for comedy nerds, but I thought it was funny that Del Close ended up playing a cult leader in the remake, kinda like in real life.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 1, 2022

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

DangerDummy! posted:

The movie theater scenes are pretty drat good. Obviously the McQueen version is silly B movie nonsense, but a couple of the scenes in the movie were very well done for its time.

I used to get Shawnee Smith and Danielle Harris mixed up all the time somehow. Their ages don't really line up at all afaik.

e: Kinda inside baseball for comedy nerds, but I thought it was funny that Del Close ended up playing a cult leader in the remake, kinda like in real life.

I watched "Who's Harry Crumb?" probably a million times as a kid so that's how I primarily know her.

And yeah, Del Close improv classes were pretty much a religion.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 1, 2022

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Surprised it took so long for someone to post this honestly.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Jaws scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. It was definitely a moment I remember thinking "I should not be watching this".

The only other thing I remember traumatizing me was a horror story where a kid gets trapped on a swimming platform in a lake by some sort of acid blob creature? I dont even know what the movie or whatever was. But i remember not liking that situation at all.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ZeusCannon posted:

Jaws scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. It was definitely a moment I remember thinking "I should not be watching this".

The only other thing I remember traumatizing me was a horror story where a kid gets trapped on a swimming platform in a lake by some sort of acid blob creature? I dont even know what the movie or whatever was. But i remember not liking that situation at all.

Creepshow 2, The Raft episode was similar. A bunch of teens are trapped on a raft and a black blob surrounds them and melts them.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Creepshow 2, The Raft episode was similar. A bunch of teens are trapped on a raft and a black blob surrounds them and melts them.

the part where the one guy gets pulled right through the raft was especially terrifying

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Buce posted:

E.T. gave me the deep creeps. I'm not scared anymore (I'm very brave and old), but that creature still disgusts me.

Crusty, dying ET scared me and made me really sad at the same time.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

haljordan posted:

the part where the one guy gets pulled right through the raft was esp terrifying

Blechhhh add that one to the blob pile. I did not like that one bit, no sir.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Yup thats the one gently caress that noise

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

that episode of star trek tng where there was an invisible being stalking the crew on a planet

the scene where they played back what happened and saw that there was a shadow that didn't belong to any of the crew and then they had the computer draw in what would have made that shadow just creeped me way the gently caress out for some reason

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

My parents watched the original V - the TV show about aliens that take over earth. I remember sneaking out of bed and watching from the stairs. Nightmares for weeks.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
It was a bad idea to read Stephen King's "The Shining" at nine years old, even though the main character is a child.

Had a real problem with shower curtains for a good long while, me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

When I was 9 I saw that bit from Hannibal where he cuts that dude's head open and cooks his brain, and that hosed with me for a few weeks.

The worst was the movie The Vanishing, specifically when the lead guy wakes up in the coffin and realizes what happened to him. The thought of slowly suffocating in a small box underground with absolutely no way to help yourself and nothing to do but just wait to die was horrifying in a way that I hadn't really experienced before, and it stayed with me for years