Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

animatorZed posted:

Wait, did I say unrelated? What happens if you use this pseudo pierce lightning combo in conjunction with the trigger trick?
https://i.imgur.com/N3r8ymE.mp4

Oh. Well, circle complete.

Is the matter eater working as a pseudo piercing shot? if so I never knew that worked the same way!

Edit: The more I think about it the more I think that what's happening is the target dummy is somehow registering as "ground" for the matter eater causing it to multi trigger, I don't think you'll ever get multiple triggers on a normal enemy from that without piercing shot.

2nd Edit: Just copied the wand exactly with spell labs and tested it on ole squiddy and I was right, needs piercing shot to multi trigger.

AceClown fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

AceClown posted:

2nd Edit: Just copied the wand exactly with spell labs and tested it on ole squiddy and I was right, needs piercing shot to multi trigger.

No, the multi hit is due to the lighting bolt. I described it in an earlier post but
increase lifetime, homing, heavy shot lightning bolt is the basic combo. The whole point is that this basically causes pierce without the use of piercing shot and without the potential of killing yourself.

if adding more heavy shots you need to balance it with either some speed ups or use a ping pong path to keep it in the right projectile speed range to prevent it from exploding. I forget exactly what it's called but the inverse gravity modifier also works I think.

drilling shot and matter eater are just for convenience to travel through terrain. and don't affect this property.

e: after testing it again, it seems the behavior of this interaction changed slightly at some point and all you need to trigger the effect now is increase lifetime homing lightning, and adding more heavy shots even with Mu don't cause the projectile to immediately expire anymore due to moving to slowly. Not sure when that changed but I've been using this combo since pre 1.0 so it's possible that something to due with speed thresholds has changed since then.

e2: actually it seems heavy shots are still required to slow it down in most cases although the latter point of multiple heavy shots no longer killing the projectile stands. What was happening is that if the lightning bolt hits or is spawned against a wall (eg from spark bolt timer/trigger) this also sometimes reduces the speed into the right range.

e3: recorded a quick video to explain better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M23mucDz1Vk

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 25, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/I5sFIh4.mp4

the run that this happened on is still ongoing. i've plundered several PW's and am now in new game plus and took all of the perks from the main world's holy mountains. i have a pretty good game going but trying to decide what to do next

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/vBYv4jH.mp4
run still going, i got all immunities + gas fire so very little can touch me, i'm almost certainly going to die to polymorphine. the explosions are from a rapid cast meteor + nolla + concentrated explosion piled onto some explosive crates, this creates a lot of trick gold

https://i.imgur.com/Ik15TxK.mp4
also found the kick perk

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
never skip leg day is a great perk and it gets even better if you stack several copies of it

with enough resistances and health you can just waltz up to a hiisi and literally punt him into gibs

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

never skip leg day is a great perk and it gets even better if you stack several copies of it

with enough resistances and health you can just waltz up to a hiisi and literally punt him into gibs

https://i.imgur.com/68mbm58.mp4

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/XAtaL7x.mp4

my angry ghost has found a spell it likes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shibawanko posted:

Oh they hunger, how they hunger

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Watching this video is giving me the same kind of anxiety that I get when a wasp keeps coming right up to me and won't go away.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The Noita wiki posted:

The disk travels more slowly than the Giga Disk Projectile and therefore the Projectile Repulsion perk is enough to stop the self-homing effect of this spell, as long as the player is stationary. It will suspend at a safe but uncomfortably close distance, but moving toward or away from it can get close enough to damage the player.

"safe but uncomfortably close"

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

"safe but uncomfortably close"

i have several stacked repulsion fields and a projectile slower and it's still a butt clencher. it seems to be safe for me to move at full speed though

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Shibawanko posted:

it seems to be safe for me to
This should be engraved on every noita's tombstone.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Obviously not a great idea but it looks kinda pretty
https://i.imgur.com/iTVruOJ.mp4

A marginally less suicidal version
https://i.imgur.com/PLkMIth.mp4

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
what the gently caress, where is all that lava coming from

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Worms are highly pressurized blood delivery systems, and hell worms happen to be full of lava blood.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

HolHorsejob posted:

what the gently caress, where is all that lava coming from

If anyone wants to guess how many instances of the more blood perk it took to make that happen the answer is -0-
Incidentally, about the same as my actual framerate.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I tried to do the heart mage trick today, without realizing their projectiles do damage (has this always been the case?).Oh well, :dunkedon: me .

Another question, is it better to go to parallel worlds before trying to kill the bosses around the world? I keep dying to the Alchemist , even with good runs.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
I’m no expert, but I wouldn’t bother killing the bosses unless you need their drops or it’s otherwise required by what you’re trying to do in that run. The bridge boss and the alchemist can both show up randomly in the overworld of PWs, so if you’re not able to consistently kill them / dodge their attacks then going to a parallel world might just mean a frustrating death.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Scallop Eyes posted:

I tried to do the heart mage trick today, without realizing their projectiles do damage (has this always been the case?).Oh well, :dunkedon: me .

Another question, is it better to go to parallel worlds before trying to kill the bosses around the world? I keep dying to the Alchemist , even with good runs.

You need ambrosia to do the heart mage safely, or a way to heal yourself to do it the dangerous way.

Some of the bosses should be killable without parallel worlds but others, you definitely need to collect the right ingredients to build the right wand to hurt them, or at least to easily travel to where you need to be. You might be able to farm higher tier wands in the overgrown fungal caves east of and below the pyramid, parallel world farming is more for getting extra perks from the holy mountains.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The secret to the alchemist is to get in his face, right up against it. This shows dominance and he will be afraid of you.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

BONGHITZ posted:

The secret to the alchemist is to get in his face, right up against it. This shows dominance and he will be afraid of you.

I miss when you could hide in the walls like a coward and poke him from afar.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

BONGHITZ posted:

Word.

Ignore his shield and chainsaw the MF.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I actually just killed him! Thanks everybody for the tips, but it turns out I just needed some extra punch, or in Noita terms :

Unfortunately, that run ended when I tried to go to a parallel world, and I dripped a little too little ambrosia on the tunnel :negative: . Now I don't know what to aim for in the next run, there's just so much stuff on this game, and the world is so huge.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Scallop Eyes posted:

I actually just killed him! Thanks everybody for the tips, but it turns out I just needed some extra punch, or in Noita terms :

Unfortunately, that run ended when I tried to go to a parallel world, and I dripped a little too little ambrosia on the tunnel :negative: . Now I don't know what to aim for in the next run, there's just so much stuff on this game, and the world is so huge.

If you're digging through cursed rock you can dig down to make a relatively narrow/deep pool of ambrosia using maybe 10% of a flask, then when moving around only use teleport wands so you remain stationary while digging. So long as you repeatedly teleport back to your ambrosia dunking station before it wears off then you won't scatter blood/slime/etc which messes up re-ambrosing.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Scallop Eyes posted:

the best way to go about it imo is to just play until you find something that lets you do more. figure out what you're doing once you've had a chance to throw some things around and what your capabilities are

it's good to have a goal past that but you can figure it out once you've gotten some tools to actually do any of those things

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://i.imgur.com/oslDop0.mp4

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

As soon as that cannister fell into the screen i started giggling. You can see exactly whats going to happen. And it does. Perfect comedy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh that is just cruel :lol:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://i.imgur.com/MLSE5VJ.mp4

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i finally got the "the gods are afraid" cheevo, i'm on new game + and have pumped myself up to basically having all perks and some crazy wands, i went to the boss at 16 orbs and blew him up in about a second. this run is getting a little tedious though, i stupidly picked up "eat your vegetables" again so now it's a constant struggle to find intact corpses to eat, since i also have vampirism and a bunch of other perks that prevent me from eating slime and which cause corpses to either blow up themselves or be disintegrated by other factors. i just ate the boss to reach 300% satiety but i wish there was an easy source for me to get to a very high satiety and not worry about it

i have like 6 stacks of stainless armor so it feels like almost nothing can harm me except for the usual suspects like poly and the damage from dropping below 25% satiety, but it makes the game kind of boring, and i still have more than half of the orbs to go

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Shibawanko posted:

i finally got the "the gods are afraid" cheevo, i'm on new game + and have pumped myself up to basically having all perks and some crazy wands, i went to the boss at 16 orbs and blew him up in about a second. this run is getting a little tedious though, i stupidly picked up "eat your vegetables" again so now it's a constant struggle to find intact corpses to eat, since i also have vampirism and a bunch of other perks that prevent me from eating slime and which cause corpses to either blow up themselves or be disintegrated by other factors. i just ate the boss to reach 300% satiety but i wish there was an easy source for me to get to a very high satiety and not worry about it

i have like 6 stacks of stainless armor so it feels like almost nothing can harm me except for the usual suspects like poly and the damage from dropping below 25% satiety, but it makes the game kind of boring, and i still have more than half of the orbs to go

You could drop it with the nullification altar.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shibawanko posted:

i finally got the "the gods are afraid" cheevo, i'm on new game + and have pumped myself up to basically having all perks and some crazy wands,

Wait, you can get achievements on New Game+? I thought that counted as a "mod" and prevented achievements? I've been trying to get it on the base game all this time! :cripes:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Jerusalem posted:

Wait, you can get achievements on New Game+? I thought that counted as a "mod" and prevented achievements? I've been trying to get it on the base game all this time! :cripes:

Nightmare Mode and NG+ are separate things, yeah

edit: unrelated but maybe i'm going nuts here. If whacking enemies with e.g. an Emerald Tablet sometimes it counts as a trick/accidental kill and sometimes it doesn't, and occasionally it doesn't do any damage depending on angle/speed of impact... but somehow throwing a Shiny Orb it either bounces off harmlessly or always counts as trick kill, making it really useful for grinding extra cash and cheesing the Pacifist rewards? Is it just because the physics object is smaller/lighter/round? wtf.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 29, 2022

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
uhhh, yeah

https://i.imgur.com/MTN6yon.mp4

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Should've taken Freeze Field

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I would simply have not fallen in the lava

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I had actually built up the muscle memory to instantly take my finger off the float key when I started to fall. If you momentarily let your energy recharge you have a better chance of staying near the surface and flopping your way out again.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
lol that it wasn't even the normal lava hole but the one that you can sort of see at the start of this clip

https://i.imgur.com/BclO4Tq.mp4

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

sebmojo posted:

I would simply have not fallen in the lava

Big Withc Energy solution to lava problems is to eat shrooms until you trip so hard all the lava in the universe transforms into berserkium

or electrified heal goo...

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

silentsnack posted:

Big Withc Energy solution to lava problems is to eat shrooms until you trip so hard all the lava in the universe transforms into berserkium

I got worm blood once