Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
flawed premise. if youre looking at your apple watch for more than 15-30 seconds, you should have pulled out your phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

flawed premise. if youre looking at your apple watch for more than 15-30 seconds, you should have pulled out your phone

RED WIZARD NEEDS SNACKS BADLY

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

bees are so important tho

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

well yeah, but so is always listening for suicide keywords

my guess is siri was activated with raise to speak, then it listened to all that but forgot the correct reply is "congratulations!"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

outlook is really awful. why in the gently caress do i still have to hack my way into making the calendar into a separate window. like is it so sstrange to want to refer to your calendar while reading your emails? why do i have to choose between one or the other or hack another window (but not a separate dock icon)?

just make two terrible apps: outlook mail and outlook calendar or something, christ almighty.

don't even get me started on teams

we have outlook at work as default email program. god drat the ribbon and hiding “new email”. I want a program that always lets me do the basics immediately . gently caress you

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

except when wearing skinny jeans and the procedure to remove phone requires a lot of time and effort lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Agile Vector posted:

my guess is siri was activated with raise to speak, then it listened to all that but forgot the correct reply is "congratulations!"

yeah it's possible, i was also thinking maybe there was some line that sounded vaguely like "hey siri" (i have not watched the anime in question and do not care to)

i just know sometimes that poo poo will trigger when i'm just talking to someone and its annoying as hell

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i had to turn "raise for siri" or whatever it's called off because it would capture rants i was making while i was gesticulating wildly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Last Chance posted:

i had to turn "raise for siri" or whatever it's called off because it would capture rants i was making while i was gesticulating wildly

*siri voice* ok, here are directions to the nearest wendy’s

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

haveblue posted:

lmao

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lysidas posted:

no client or job is worth using outlook or teams

do you know how freaking GLAD i am to be using outlook after almost 8 years of using lotus ibm hcl notes?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah it's possible, i was also thinking maybe there was some line that sounded vaguely like "hey siri" (i have not watched the anime in question and do not care to)

i just know sometimes that poo poo will trigger when i'm just talking to someone and its annoying as hell

i get some weird accidental triggers like that, words that only sound like half the command. normally it's my phone sitting on a dresser or something at a distance, so maybe the way the sound bounces?

that or something like when I must have pressed the crown on my watch the other day and it tried to call someone (me?!) then gave up when it didn't heard a plausible number option

haveblue posted:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Last Chance posted:

lol same, i'm a big hand talker

bonus points if it catches the front end of "seriously" and thinks its "hey siri"

Agile Vector posted:

i get some weird accidental triggers like that, words that only sound like half the command. normally it's my phone sitting on a dresser or something at a distance, so maybe the way the sound bounces?

that or something like when I must have pressed the crown on my watch the other day and it tried to call someone (me?!) then gave up when it didn't heard a plausible number option

ime it's pretty hit or miss either way, more miss than hit. i just disable that poo poo right away now because yelling "hey siri" across my apartment wouldn't work but saying "[either] way seriously" while right next to it does is just maddening

haveblue posted:

i don't know how to give lectures to pennies. i found the following results on the web :downs:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
gently caress any and every always on microphone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Wild EEPROM posted:

gently caress any and every always on microphone

sounds exhausting

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i wandered into apple store #001 today and tried on an ultra and it's not as comically large as i expected when looking at it straight-on (but also i'm a large human being) but it's also really thicc and still bigger than i'd like. (I wasn't going to buy regardless, but it was good to know for like 2024 or whatever when i'm ready to ready to replace my s7)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
PSA for goons thinking that eSIM are readily available in Europe, they are not. Italy has them but only on the major carriers and only in certain big stores. Apple sells the 14 series as eSIM+nanoSIM in everywhere but the us for a reason.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Last Chance posted:

haveblue posted:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Last Chance posted:

haveblue posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I remember getting a stupid product request at work once and saying "oh god, kill me now". Siri heard it and gave me the suicide hotline lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
already thinking about a mcdonald’s on the way from
here to home

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I wrote a post on yospos and Siri told me to turn on my monitor

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last Chance posted:

haveblue posted:

this is a great joke that is completely impenetrable to outsiders.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
we were out bowling with friends last night and when people wanted to do a group selfie i remembered this new apple watch has remote shutter. it was great, allowed me to use the rear camera and do a group portrait rather than selfie styles. each shot was actually a 10 shot burst by default which i thought was pretty clever

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
as for the airspods pros it is kind of neat that the engraving shows up in the software representation of the case that pops up in iphone

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao TouchBarServer freaking out and making the fans whir every time there are too many youtubes

i guess its creating thumbnails or something stupid like that? yeah let me just take my eyes off the screen and check

cant wait to buy an M3 or whatever

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

new Vancouver Apple Store is almost ready

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

who cares

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

employees of the vancouver apple store, for one

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I’m excited for them to have natural light in their workplace

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

latvian retail update:

14 - largely available in shops
14 pro - available neither in shops nor online lol
14 pro max - ditto
ultra - tritto

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

did loving avad order 3 telephones, one per a baltic, or what

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

just wait a little while and they'll be easier to get

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

just wait a little while and they'll be easier to get

im just curious what’s up. not actually going to retail shops when i can see their stock availability online and placed preorders on my stuff anyway. this is just by far the worst availability of new apple gear that i remember

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

latvian retail update:

14 pro max - ditto
ultra - tritto

:yossame: for Denmark

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im just curious what’s up. not actually going to retail shops when i can see their stock availability online and placed preorders on my stuff anyway. this is just by far the worst availability of new apple gear that i remember

I think Apple underestimated peoples lust for the big watch

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i have no specific insight, but i also have to imagine there is a lot of companies out there who got burnt really bad by the supply chain hiccup disrupting everything. the actual device manufacturers and customers we saw happen, but it might also be way more expensive than a few years back to get various middlemen to commit to having the actual containers of things in a certain place at a certain time, so the super-smooth launches might no longer be standard for basically anything.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i have no specific insight, but i also have to imagine there is a lot of companies out there who got burnt really bad by the supply chain hiccup disrupting everything. the actual device manufacturers and customers we saw happen, but it might also be way more expensive than a few years back to get various middlemen to commit to having the actual containers of things in a certain place at a certain time, so the super-smooth launches might no longer be standard for basically anything.

im down for that, were it not for really expensive “available now” ads bombarding me everywhere online and offline for the second week already, since apple resellers can afford buying the whole latvian ad market for a month

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 3, 2022

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im down for that, we’re it not for really expensive “available now” ads bombarding me everywhere online and offline for the second week already, since apple resellers can afford buying the whole latvian ad market for a month

"ads for thing no one can buy" will never cease to amuse me

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

champagne posting posted:

"ads for thing no one can buy" will never cease to amuse me

another great one - a premium resellers has pro maxes listed online with “Free shipping from 23.12.2022!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

latvian retail update:

14 pro max - ditto
ultra - tritto

:italy:
14 are widely available, 14 pros have limited availability(mostly on more expensive SKU), 14 pro max are sold out, watch ultra are widely available.