Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I have a lot of questions but for just one:

What exactly are ports and what does it mean to have them open? Exam cram just kind of assumes I already know what they are and how they work.
If your IP is the house address that tells mail where to go, a port is the name portion or apartment/suite code of a letter, telling it specifically who it's address to. Various services listen on specific ports for incoming communication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

ilkhan posted:

If your IP is the house address that tells mail where to go, a port is the name portion or apartment/suite code of a letter, telling it specifically who it's address to. Various services listen on specific ports for incoming communication.

And if it’s closed it’s like when a business executive tells their secretary they’re not here for someone they don’t want to talk to? Ok thank you that makes sense.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 2, 2022

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
A port is generally closed unless it is specifically opened by an application. For example, if SSH is turned off on a device, you would expect port 22 to be closed, and if it is turned on, you would expect port 22 to be open.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Anyone else watch this video 15+ years ago when they were learning networking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7CuFlM4V54

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

skipdogg posted:

Anyone else watch this video 15+ years ago when they were learning networking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7CuFlM4V54

Oh no, the Ping of Death! :ohdear:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Zil posted:

Oh no, the Ping of Death! :ohdear:

https://hackaday.com/2022/02/09/that-clock-on-the-wall-is-actually-a-network-ping-display/

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
In case you want some irony poisoning

https://www.theregister.com/2022/09/02/telegram_court_ip/

A exam cram maker wants telegram to hand out the ips of people copying his exam copies, while having his name in the clear for prometric/pearson to sue his rear end.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 4, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I'm working my way through the Hardware domain on the A+ right now. So far I've got max cable lengths, DDR4 transfer speeds in Mb/s, and port numbers. Are there any other dumb things I just have to memorize that I've missed so far? What ones beyond the ram portion of the hardware domain do I need to look out for and start drilling when i get to them?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've been asked to do AZ-104 and then AZ-105, with a goal of having the AZ-105 in 6-8 months.

How much am I going to hate my life?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Good news is that there isn’t an az-105 so that’ll save you time.

Now if you meant the az-305 then that’s a major red flag from whoever is requesting this out of you.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Cyks posted:

Now if you meant the az-305 then that’s a major red flag from whoever is requesting this out of you.

At least if he gets the AZ-305 he'll immediately know his worth. If we were using punch out terminology those two tests are like going from glass joe to mike tyson.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I'm working my way through the Hardware domain on the A+ right now. So far I've got max cable lengths, DDR4 transfer speeds in Mb/s, and port numbers. Are there any other dumb things I just have to memorize that I've missed so far? What ones beyond the ram portion of the hardware domain do I need to look out for and start drilling when i get to them?

Motherboard sizes, all the USB types, maybe all the monitor connections as well. The cable lengths and port numbers will show up in other tests as well so they're probably worth getting good at.

I'm taking a break from studying the CCNA and every cert test has felt the same in that there's an endless amount of things to know.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
I'm studying the AZ-305/700/80x for purely educational reasons (mostly SD-WAN concepts), but the CCNA for "for real"

im broke as gently caress and cannot afford Boson, only the two official Wendell Odom books and some free Packet Tracer labs

I feel like Cisco Modeling Labs would be more preferable since in already going to study for higher level cisco certs but a second opinion never hurts

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 20, 2022

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Have you been using Jeremy’s IT lab on YouTube? Dude covers the entire CCNA and has a bunch of packet tracer labs that he does. It’s pretty good

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Hotel Kpro posted:

Have you been using Jeremy’s IT lab on YouTube? Dude covers the entire CCNA and has a bunch of packet tracer labs that he does. It’s pretty good

Absolutely. Do you guys recommend the todd lammle study guide as well?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Haven't used it personally, maybe someone else has and could say whether or not they liked it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I used the Lammle books for the previous incarnation of the CCNA and it was great. I would think the new one would be good but have no first-hand experience with it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

wargames posted:

or gently caress networking and go AWS/cloud stuff. Higher growth area and easier to get into.

Networking is good to know if you're going to pursue cloud stuff. A CCNA is not a huge time commitment to get and totally worth it.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Took the AWS Developer exam today. It's been awhile and I forgot how much it sucks you don't get the result straight away. I'm also an idiot for planning it on a Friday which probably means waiting over the weekend to get the result.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Signed up for a VCP class before the whole Broadcom snafoo. Had to take the VCTA-DCV apparently for my class to be recognized. Then knocked out the VCP-DCV.

Strangely enough I scored higher on the VCP exam.

VCTA = 447
VCP = 484

Now to find more crap to bang out. Maybe some Juniper/Cisco and pepper in some ~cloud~

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Didn't have to wait over the weekend. Passed with a score of 834 (720 needed) so had a fair margin.

On to the next one.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LochNessMonster posted:

Didn't have to wait over the weekend. Passed with a score of 834 (720 needed) so had a fair margin.

On to the next one.

Congrats! If you have the SAA, how did the Developer exam compare to it?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Hughmoris posted:

Congrats! If you have the SAA, how did the Developer exam compare to it?

Developer is supposed to be the easiest one of the Associate exams.

For me this one felt more difficult even though I’ve got a few years more (hands on) experience with AWS now then when I took the SAA. My experience is more on the services covered for the SAA though.

Not sure why it felt harder but it might be because I don’t try to just study for the cert but really want to understand the matter on an in depth level. The core services everyone uses were a piece of cake, just like several others I work with regularly. But the exam is pretty wide when it comes to the amount of services to cover and memorizing all the details, limits and default values takes time and effort. Maybe I’m just overpreparing.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

What’s the difference between WPA2 and AES? I know they work together and are the two types that are least vulnerable to attack but why aren’t they a single protocol? The book I’m using doesn’t really say why they’re different so I assume it’s not important for the a+ (or beyond it) but I’m curious

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

What’s the difference between WPA2 and AES? I know they work together and are the two types that are least vulnerable to attack but why aren’t they a single protocol? The book I’m using doesn’t really say why they’re different so I assume it’s not important for the a+ (or beyond it) but I’m curious

AES is an encryption standard, it can be used all sorts of places, not just for wireless networks. AES can be used in disk encryption, SSL certificates, software encryption, etc.

WPA2 or 802.11i defines the protocol standard for WPA2. If you want your wireless device to be WPA2 compliant it lays out the standards for the protocol so your device can be compliant. AES encryption is part of that suite of protocols and rules for lack of a better term.

Think of WPA2 as being a framework of rules for all the stuff going on inside the wireless transmission/network like key exchanges, packet frames, stuff like that.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask for more detail, I don't want to get too in the weeds about this stuff. The Wiki page for WPA2/802.11i gets into it as well.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

skipdogg posted:

AES is an encryption standard, it can be used all sorts of places, not just for wireless networks. AES can be used in disk encryption, SSL certificates, software encryption, etc.

WPA2 or 802.11i defines the protocol standard for WPA2. If you want your wireless device to be WPA2 compliant it lays out the standards for the protocol so your device can be compliant. AES encryption is part of that suite of protocols and rules for lack of a better term.

Think of WPA2 as being a framework of rules for all the stuff going on inside the wireless transmission/network like key exchanges, packet frames, stuff like that.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask for more detail, I don't want to get too in the weeds about this stuff. The Wiki page for WPA2/802.11i gets into it as well.

As a quick note, some routers call WPA2 with TKIP encoding just WPA2 so the real underlying differentiation is WPA2-TKIP and WPA2-AES.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Microsoft Learn Cloud Skills Challenge is going on again. If you complete the required modules from on the challenges you choose, Microsoft will give you a free voucher for a cert exam of your choice.

The exam vouchers are good for one of these exams:

• AZ-305: Designing Microsoft Azure Infrastructure Solutions
  • AZ-400: Designing and Implementing Microsoft DevOps Solutions
  • DP-100: Designing and Implementing a Data Science Solution on Azure
  • MB-240: Microsoft Dynamics 365 Field Service Functional Consultant
  • MS-700: Managing Microsoft Teams
  • MS-720: Microsoft Teams Voice Engineer
  • PL-100: Microsoft Power Platform App Maker
  • SC-200: Microsoft Security Operations Analyst

Register for a challenge here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/cloudskillschallenge/ignite/registration/2022
Terms and list of exams here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/cloudskillschallenge/ignite/officialrules/2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
What do you think would be the most useful if all you've got is an A+ thread?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
The one that gets you where you want to go

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

tokin opposition posted:

What do you think would be the most useful if all you've got is an A+ thread?

Really depends on what you want to do. Those Microsoft learn paths can get you a decent start in quite a few directions. Hard to go wrong with anything really. There's demand out there for everything.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Hotel Kpro posted:

The one that gets you where you want to go

I want to get paid as much money to do the least amount of work

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
AZ 104 or AZ-305 if you're good at studying.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah there’s a shame there no fundamental certs this time around. AZ-900 would be good for someone dipping their toes into Azure.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

tokin opposition posted:

I want to get paid as much money to do the least amount of work

Anything cloud. It’s like printing money. AWS or Azure, find a path that annoys you the least.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm not joking about the 104.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

FCKGW posted:

Yeah there’s a shame there no fundamental certs this time around. AZ-900 would be good for someone dipping their toes into Azure.

My work will be paying for a az99, which will hopefully let me leave with a az 104 or 305 in six months

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have AZ-104 but is that good enough to get a cloud job? I was thinking of getting the AZ-400 before even starting to look

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

FCKGW posted:

I have AZ-104 but is that good enough to get a cloud job? I was thinking of getting the AZ-400 before even starting to look

The az-400 will easily land you a cloud SRE or entry level DevOps role. If you're good at it you can go further.

The 204 is a decent addition to the 400 as well.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I made 102 out of school in the bay area with AZ 104, an AA and 4 years of customer service experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Passed the CCNA. Much like PenTest+ I was pretty sure I wasn't going to pass. I've felt under prepared for pretty much every cert test I've taken and somehow keep scraping by with passing scores.

My only question now is how easy/difficult will it be to break back into IT. I did nearly two years of help desk and for the last month went back to calibrating stuff and things cause of a move.