Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

did google ever even deploy a second hardware generation, or were they still trucking along with ye olde vega56 nodes?

They were still on Vega56. I assume part of the calculus here was, 'are we actually going to update these nodes?' and after looking at the balance sheet for the project, that question answered itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lmao Linus and Dennis did a tae kwon doe fight

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The amount of client and server ewaste produced by stadia makes me sad

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I wonder how many clients one of their blades can handle? Is it like a xeon with 4 Vegas inside?

Would be like buying an artifact because you can do this with a 5900x and whatever GPUs already, I just want something technical with the stadia logo lol

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BattleMaster posted:

The amount of client and server ewaste produced by stadia makes me sad

Why? I would imagine that if you were to calculate a metric comparing the total hours of use per pound of ewaste, Stadia's server hardware would be far more efficient in that regard than home gaming PCs that generously see a few hours of use each day.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Baronash posted:

Why? I would imagine that if you were to calculate a metric comparing the total hours of use per pound of ewaste, Stadia's server hardware would be far more efficient in that regard than home gaming PCs that generously see a few hours of use each day.

just my 1070 doing exactly nothing when powered on at 11W probably draws 4x the power of my phone viewing youtube

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

forest spirit posted:

I wonder how many clients one of their blades can handle? Is it like a xeon with 4 Vegas inside?

iirc there was linux news a while ago, google was doing kernel code for real-time resource-sharing GPUs. the sort of thing that would be useful if you wanted to have multiple VMs sharing a GPU.

dunno if that ever got deployed to stadia, but if so a lot of the games stadia was giving away to subscribers would need less than 1/2 a vega.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Props to Linus, he addressed the defective backpack carabineer pull design on the WAN Show tonight. He demonstrated how easy the current ones are to break and he's saying he will send a full set of replacement zipper pulls to all backpack owners once he has a finalized design for the replacement, showing off multiple prototypes during the show.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Yeah, but if he didn’t that warranty fiasco would re-appear 1000% worse if his “just trust me” turned out to be worthless.

Hell, probably the only reason he does have to address it at all is because of the warranty bullshit, if he just had a standard warranty on it and that whole warranty blowup thing never happened, I doubt we’d have even heard about this zipper thing, but because of that any tiny little issue is turned into a much bigger thing

And he probably would have been fine only needing to offer it to people who had issues with it rather than a blanket send to all thing.

The whole not doing warranty is definitely going to end up costing him more than whatever claims a proper warranty would have covered.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

just scrubbed through the yt video to find it and stumbled upon linus saying they had to completely axe a video (made a big deal about the team unpublishing it without his input... even though he would have made the same decision, he says) because he pronounced the name of the sponsor wrong throughout the entire video

he still wanted to publish it but with one of those text disclaimers like "it's actually pronounced this way and we got it wrong! Sorry!"

he said "we should probably have people hired to look at this sort of stuff before we film a sponsored spot", like, yeah, you should know how to say the sponsors name out loud lmao. Bonkers dumb web2.0 names aren't new

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

forest spirit posted:

just scrubbed through the yt video to find it and stumbled upon linus saying they had to completely axe a video (made a big deal about the team unpublishing it without his input... even though he would have made the same decision, he says) because he pronounced the name of the sponsor wrong throughout the entire video

he still wanted to publish it but with one of those text disclaimers like "it's actually pronounced this way and we got it wrong! Sorry!"

he said "we should probably have people hired to look at this sort of stuff before we film a sponsored spot", like, yeah, you should know how to say the sponsors name out loud lmao. Bonkers dumb web2.0 names aren't new

I'm no great advocate for Linus, but honestly treating your sponsors with a haphazard and begrudging nonchalance is 100% the correct move

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I’d prefer naked disdain and hatred but that probably doesn’t make much money.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ASUS does not rhyme with anus

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

depends on how you pronounce anus

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Do you go for the anus prime, maximus hero, or maximus extreme?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Do you go for the anus prime, maximanus hero, or maximanus extreme?

fixed that for you

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gigabyte with a soft G. You’d think he’d know by now.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

I'm no great advocate for Linus, but honestly treating your sponsors with a haphazard and begrudging nonchalance is 100% the correct move

Especially when they are selling a 'sleep' monitor ring for $400 and a $6 / month subscription.

Who is buying this trash?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I'm just saying it's unprofessional to mispronounce the name of the snake oil company is all!!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Especially when they are selling a 'sleep' monitor ring for $400 and a $6 / month subscription.

Who is buying this trash?

After he shilled for a brexiteer, raid: shadow legends and NiceHash? No matter what he claims, it’s obvious he can be bought.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
also i have to disagree with the thread title i don't think the ARC drivers should be trusted to even give you a handy safely on DX11 and below

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Kerbtree posted:

After he shilled for a brexiteer, raid: shadow legends and NiceHash? No matter what he claims, it’s obvious he can be bought.
the last two i vaguely remember, but what was the brexiteer? i'm not trying to "source???" you, just whatever you remember about it

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Kerbtree posted:

After he shilled for a brexiteer

Wait what I missed this one. What was this?

e: lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also I won't judge people for doing the Raid deal, from what I've heard they pay pretty good money especially to smaller Youtubers which is why they end up literally loving everywhere.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

njsykora posted:

Also I won't judge people for doing the Raid deal, from what I've heard they pay pretty good money especially to smaller Youtubers which is why they end up literally loving everywhere.
... they pay well because people on average end up spendings hundreds of dollars, which is why it is scummy predatory gacha garbage. it's literally where the advertising budgets for mobile games come from. and you get paid for referrals

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

njsykora posted:

Also I won't judge people for doing the Raid deal

it's gambling for kids and should be illegal

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

kliras posted:

the last two i vaguely remember, but what was the brexiteer? i'm not trying to "source???" you, just whatever you remember about it

Dyson.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Mrwhosetheboss published a video about that poo poo, specifically focusing around Pokemon Unite, and watching it broke my brain. Why is that poo poo even legal.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Mrwhosetheboss published a video about that poo poo, specifically focusing around Pokemon Unite, and watching it broke my brain. Why is that poo poo even legal.

Speaking of him, he just had a video about Samsung Galaxy phones being very prone to battery bulge. As in most if not all of his Samsung phones had their batteries bulged to the point that cases had been cracking open in his collection and he confirmed this as a trend anecdotally with other phone youtubers. Wish I had known about this a year or two ago since I had to replace my S6 because the stupid battery in it started dying way before it's time and bulging and cracking the case open (after warranty being over of course)

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Also here's a video featuring two thread favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fle55mZ_WQ

e. aside from some odd QC, they're OK

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 2, 2022

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

The Grumbles posted:

"Introducing Nick Mullens as the newest member of the linus media family!"

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

The Grumbles posted:

Like this. (Contains foul language).

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Charles Leclerc posted:

my takeaway from this is that he was very much anti right to repair

Sorry this is late but

:perfect:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PBCrunch posted:

Like this. (Contains foul language).
Or Shari's Berries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl5JDzvkEA0

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

I'm a Norm McDonald x Mangrate man myself.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I’ve come to enjoy Regular Car Reviews ad reads as Mr Regular is someone I trust to recommend me a ball shaver.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
"Fight me, it's [pronounced] 'jif.' " - Steve.

Steve no.

edit:
It's old now but Steve is also just done with GPU marketing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGARjRBJRX8

Deuce fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 4, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steve has gotten this weird thing recently of pronouncing things wrong to provoke comments and I don't like it.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

https://youtu.be/bPpcfH_HHH8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

njsykora posted:

Steve has gotten this weird thing recently of pronouncing things wrong to provoke comments and I don't like it.

At least he finally determined the correct pronunciation of Evangelion.