Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i drove a 79 monte carlo in high school. never had the guts to modify the dash, so my head unit was some janky rear end sony poo poo in a u-shaft formfactor. speakers were a bitch in that car too because the rears were 4x10 instead of the way more standard 6x9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ugh loving 4x10s, worst.

i always ran pioneer decks and speakers in my junkers. 40x4 cassette head and some 6x9's in the back deck lid? yes pls

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
i had a sony xplode car stereo in my 1997 ford probe gt :getin:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Beeftweeter posted:

i had a pioneer elite amp and infinity speakers set up for my parents home theater

fuckers gave it to my brother and now its sitting in his living room in a sad rear end weird arrangement :smith:

my uncle worked for dolby and had a kit amp home theater thing that he built himself that is probably really good, and I got it when he died but it is loving daunting to think about using/fixing up something that would make me feel really ashamed and terrible if i ruined it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Corla Plankun posted:

my uncle worked for dolby and had a kit amp home theater thing that he built himself that is probably really good, and I got it when he died but it is loving daunting to think about using/fixing up something that would make me feel really ashamed and terrible if i ruined it

drat thats pretty cool. does it work at all still?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i can't remember anyone wanting sony poo poo even from 99 on. it was all about rockford fosgate for everything but the head unit

Eclipse

JBL

Sony

Pioneer

JJJ

CBT

Bloods

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Stop listening to the radio at the low volume, get it right. Get the bass.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I once bought the top trim level blaupunkt stereo from whatever the most expensive ford focus was off of eBay to upgrade the absolutely bottom of the barrel one in my focus.

it was the best stereo purchase I’ve ever made

my focus was so cheap that I also had to buy a wiper stalk off eBay just to get intermittent wipers, and I also bought an interior lamp with map lights instead of mine that just lit up with the door

it’s shocking how low featured that car was.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

seems like tesla is aiming to inherit the explode branding

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i had this one

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Sniep posted:

i had this one

lol that looks pretty gamery

i'm glad all the buttons and displays and poo poo on the elites were amber-ish, that looked pro as gently caress. my parents had the 6-cd changer, tape deck and radio too, so it kinda sucked having to use 5 extremely similar remotes

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i drove a 79 monte carlo in high school. never had the guts to modify the dash, so my head unit was some janky rear end sony poo poo in a u-shaft formfactor. speakers were a bitch in that car too because the rears were 4x10 instead of the way more standard 6x9

holy crap, my first car ever was an 81 Monte Carlo and my second (still in high school) was a 79… whatup Carlo buddy.

that car did NOT do well in the snow.

and yeah 4x10’s sucked. my 3rd car was an 83 Subaru GL wagon and I swear it had 3x6’s or something hosed in the front. I loved tinkering with my stereo in all my cars but never could get anything good really because of that weird-rear end stock poo poo.
I did put a CB in that car though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my first was an avocado green 79 cutlass hell yes beater v8 sled crew

burning swine
May 26, 2004

oof, my 86 has a sony head unit in it from around ~2000. it's poo poo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
anyone got a recco for a nice double din car stereo with kind of a 90s aesthetic?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
my car's previous owner had no taste at all

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

namlosh posted:

that car did NOT do well in the snow.

it was hella fun on iced over parking lots though

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i still have the monte carlo sitting in a barn at my folks place. it gets fired up occasionally when my dad takes my nephew for rides in it. my dream is to someday do an electric conversion.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
"love the carlo"

hehe

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

"love the carlo"

hehe

lol

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

rotor posted:

anyone got a recco for a nice double din car stereo with kind of a 90s aesthetic?

Not double din, but the sheer ballerness should make up for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMuLRgnmmgk

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I had this sweaty beast back in 2007.

Sat radio and bluetooth? Living in the future.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
It was 1997 when I was doing this, so there wasn't even such things yet as Bluetooth or cell phones even for most people

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah even aux ins didnt roll up till what, early-mid 00s? cause like what the gently caress were you going to plug into it?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

if you had a tape deck, you could always use one of these beasts

i had one for my rca lyra and the beastly 32mb music library i could fit on it. that was like almost an album's worth of music on one card!

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Those sad bluetooths stereos made before A2DP and aptX made the GTA IV experience possible IRL.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i had a cool head unit in my 89 buick century that flipped around when you turned the car off/on. it was great and it was very important to me back then to have a cd player

i never upgraded the speakers or put in an amp, they were always good enough for my/our purposes

other than that i've always gone with the stuff that came in my car (plus a maybe a bluetooth adapter or whatever)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah ive never run amps for the full range speakers but i always always put a sealed 10" with like a 250-400w amp. just enough to fill it out

except the expedition, which has a factory 10" sub. sounds good too

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i have a sub in my truck now and it owns

i missed having actual bass for music that's meant to be heard with pronounced bass

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

I spent an unconscionable amount of money on an Alpine head unit for me and my brothers Cavalier around 2003 because it had a dedicated Aux in. Hooked up my minidisc player and felt like king poo poo.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

It's a sealed 12" JL 12W3v3-4 with the matching JD500/1 amp. no visible branding. and the grate is already getting beat to hell, which is fine. i got 3 big dogs + a house and the trips to home depot that go with it. hence why it's not pristine, i know i need to vac again, but it's a utility vehicle, not show.

the sub itself is nice tho and just nestles in between the two 2nd row seatsn at armrest height.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i had one for my rca lyra and the beastly 32mb music library i could fit on it. that was like almost an album's worth of music on one card!

these were big for us in the ipod days, or the real pros got a little fm transmitter instead

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
you all did way better than me, I had an old Datsun 720 2wd Ute than came out of my grandparents shed and didn’t have FM radio.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Gentle Autist posted:

these were big for us in the ipod days, or the real pros got a little fm transmitter instead

no, the real pros used a cassette adapter, because fm stereo rolls off at 15khz and the modulators rarely did proper preemphasis

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
the fm adapters were so anemic anyway that if you dropped it on the floor it'd fade/fuzz out

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a fair amount of greybeards have youtube videos up where they retrofit a line in to old rear end factory stock cassette decks. basically if you can get ahold of the schematics (or know electronics well enough to trace it out) you just find a spot where the cassette audio circuit is line level, inject your audio there through a couple of resistors, and use a cassette shell with no tape in it to switch the stereo to tape mode

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i had one for my lyra, but it was the later model ipod competitor. twice the storage and three times the bulk with a fraction of intuitive controls!

the car that was for was totaled in an accident. i was kinda peeved my next one only had a cd player, it was the only downside to an otherwise much better vehicle. i had to get a fm adapter and a splitter to charge too, then jump stations when i'd do multi-state drives

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

no, the real pros used a cassette adapter, because fm stereo rolls off at 15khz and the modulators rarely did proper preemphasis

this always pissed me off and my friends would give me poo poo for it since they couldn't hear it or didn't notice

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also i had a 32mb diamond rio lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tbh having no treble was probably a blessing in disguise in the days of 64kbps joint stereo mp3s lol