Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

ultrafilter posted:

In Manhattan, you know you've made it when you have in unit laundry.

does downtown brooklyn count? thats almost manhattan :v:

ive had two apartments here with in-unit machines. they weren't even that expensive to rent but the buildings are pretty new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Beeftweeter posted:

does downtown brooklyn count? thats almost manhattan :v:

ive had two apartments here with in-unit machines. they weren't even that expensive to rent but the buildings are pretty new

expensive by what measure lol. the only place i saw in-unit laundry in my budget anywhere in nyc was in a basement in astoria which was 1850/month only because of pandemic discounts two years ago

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/vzverovich/status/1575872574512197632

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Quebec Bagnet posted:

expensive by what measure lol. the only place i saw in-unit laundry in my budget anywhere in nyc was in a basement in astoria which was 1850/month only because of pandemic discounts two years ago

~800 sq ft 1 bedroom for $2200/mo

rents have skyrocketed since then but i was able to get it frozen there until 2023, at which point i will move. lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

Take a look yourself. Google the problem

what if it’s hard

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

well I guess you'll just have to go to the laundry mat for the rest of your life

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

surely the rfid is just an id that makes the machine check a specific row in a table somewhere, right? is there a well known admin rfid number or something?

you buy a code from a web site, then stick the card in a machine and punch it in, then use it in the washing machine. neither the code machine nor the washing machine has a network connection. im not sure but I would guess the rfid just stores the balance.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PokeJoe posted:

DIY success story 1:

our furnace stopped working in the AR house. i cracked the cover, power to the input terminals but no blinky on the "OK" LED. got the part number of the control board, called an HVAC guy. "oh yeah that'll be about $1800 to replace, parts and labor." Punched the part number into amazon and found the board for $350. Installed it and when i did so, realized that the lovely PO never hooked the blower to the "fan only" terminal, which is why that feature never worked for us. Sorted.

2:

our furnace stopped working again. This time, no power to the input terminals. Made sure there was 120vac to the transformer input, ordered a new transformer, lasted four days and died again. Troubleshot a bit and discovered that the control line to the outside exchanger was strung too tight, and where it left the house it made a sharp 90 bend and had worn through the insulation over the years and shorted out. Cut out the bad bit, added a couple of feet with a drip loop, ordered another transformer, this time it took. Sorted.

3: similar story but the motor start cap died on the outdoor unit. Another amazon order, $20 per cap (i ordered two). replaced it and put the spare in a baggie and taped it to the side of the furnace closet inside. Sorted.

the hvac and appliance repair industry is a powerful lobby and they work really hard to make sure the manuals and parts for this stuff are not readily available to the general public. the local hvac supply store shook their head and said "no" when i tried to initially give them $800 for that control board. "Gotta be a licensed contractor", they said. "Thanks for your order!", Amazon said. Their loss. google, in this rare case, is your friend. saved me probably like $5,000 just on that stupid air conditioner.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

“washing machine leaks ordinAry fluid plz advise”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
turns out it was just water

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I've fixed a few washers and dryers and they're surprisingly primitive machines. i was able to diagnose the issues just by listening and poking around inside (while unplugged).

my problems might have been easier-than-normal fixes though because it was a babysock in a forbidden area like 75% of the time

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/DinosaurDracula/status/1576211595562078208?s=20&t=B2jdhSjZ1Sn86nnIHNMAzQ

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

the local hvac supply store shook their head and said "no" when i tried to initially give them $800 for that control board. "Gotta be a licensed contractor", they said. "Thanks for your order!", Amazon said. Their loss. google, in this rare case, is your friend. saved me probably like $5,000 just on that stupid air conditioner.

this poo poo is everywhere in construction industry supply lines and it's annoying as hell when you need something like tile setting material or the good, heavy, fiberglass faced drywall that's too expensive to ship and the only local distributor won't sell to you without a contractor's license

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My bro is a HVAC dude so I just call him and ask him what the problem is whenever I encounter one. I've picked up a few tips and tricks from him along the way, for instance a huge number of people simply put the batteries in their thermostat wrong and call an HVAC guy to come flip them around lol

Corla Plankun posted:

I've fixed a few washers and dryers and they're surprisingly primitive machines. i was able to diagnose the issues just by listening and poking around inside (while unplugged).

my problems might have been easier-than-normal fixes though because it was a babysock in a forbidden area like 75% of the time

Most household appliances are pretty simple really, if you're even slightly mechanically or electronically inclined you can probably fix most things. Don't gently caress with the microwave though unless you know what you're doing,.its got the big kill you fast transformer in it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

lol yeah they're pretty simple. however i was pretty impressed when our washer got all clogged and refused to work because of our dog's hair and my wife just decided to tear it down to fix it :3:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1576252576190070785?s=20&t=GHPYoLcSyG8DUHCSUyjXUw

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

spock why

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

lool

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
https://twitter.com/ariellec/status/1545768954148409349

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Worf: No, I asked for a Bat'leth!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

fuckin lol

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/mnateshyamalan/status/1576200707459280897?s=46&t=yZY9oV_hKDIx3PY30lzzVA

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

🎵na na na na na na na na butt van🎵
🎵butt van🎵
🎵butt van🎵
🎵butt van🎵

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

jack actually sounds pretty good here

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nah hes an idiot talking about "web 3.0" horseshit. "We have to decentralize the internet so nobody, like, owns it maaaaan".

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Shaggar posted:

nah hes an idiot talking about "web 3.0" horseshit. "We have to decentralize the internet so nobody, like, owns it maaaaan".

lmao

shaggar was right

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ellewasamistake/status/1576210196140941312

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol i always thought guitar center's logo was garbage but they could have fixed it by just creating a circle around the logo connected to the guitar, forming a huge G

not that it would look awesome or anything but it would've been a lot better

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

also how that thing about how God doesnt show himself because he is terrified of his own creation being from Spy Kids 2

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Nexuist/status/1576066266527191041
https://twitter.com/anicacihla/status/1547761556754116610

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

that dril tweet is so goddamn good, every time I see it it gets me.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/feralresearch/status/1576229350625902592?s=20&t=FVqcjM5ZtPjNKXm8HDIo7w

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i have seen more references to heavens gate in the last two weeks than i have in the previous two decades. did a podcast cover them or something? why is it suddenly a thing again?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
e: nvm lol

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

lmaoooooooo i google image searched this and it is NOT the heavens gate guy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Corla Plankun posted:

its not.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/HistoryMuppet/status/1442467918877495298

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Corla Plankun posted:

this is almost as good as the guy who watched leaving Las Vegas instead of honeymoon in Vegas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
https://twitter.com/_patryc_/status/1575919246487363584