Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

You have, we've talked about it in this thread before.

It's that one they're...I THINK? filming in canada? Some woman is in charge of it, she was tied to Supernatural and stuff. It's basically going to be an original setting for a mini series and a movie to go to Netflix, I believe the plan was. Hasbro has talked about it off and on.

It's where those dumb rumors came from, that PR was abandoning Sentai. It's also more or less confirmed to be MMPR based, but we'll see how it goes. We'll probably hear something soon.

Ah yes, forgot about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Reminder that rest of Dino Fury hits Netflix on the 29th. Also we’ll apparently be getting some info on the next season the day afterwards:

https://twitter.com/Pookina1/status/1573456081669410818

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Twitter was making GBS threads their pants about cosmic fury for no good reason

red gets a white suit (with an admittedly ugly shoulder piece) in the finale ergo that’s what the cosmic fury suits will be

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

Twitter was making GBS threads their pants about cosmic fury for no good reason

red gets a white suit (with an admittedly ugly shoulder piece) in the finale ergo that’s what the cosmic fury suits will be

Speaking of, I hear that Zedd acts more like Sledge wearing a costume in the second half of the series rather than the Ed we all know and love from MMPR-Zeo, is this true pretty much the whole way through the rest of Dino Fury (also does he wind up turning into the Ryusoulger final boss by the end like I’ve been theorizing)?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Larryb posted:

Reminder that rest of Dino Fury hits Netflix on the 29th. Also we’ll apparently be getting some info on the next season the day afterwards:

https://twitter.com/Pookina1/status/1573456081669410818

Guess I know what I'm doing that whole day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The rest of Dino Fury is up on Netflix now

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So from the panel today it’s looking like Cosmic Fury is going to use Kyuranger footage/Zords but modified Ryusoulger suits and original ground fights:

https://twitter.com/Jinsakuu/status/1575919199200870400

It’s also going to be 10 episodes (at least to start with), however each episode will be roughly about 40 minutes long

Also Walter Jones and David Yost will apparently be returning for a 30th anniversary episode later down the line

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 30, 2022

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

"First original Power Rangers TV show costumes ever"

But legit the concept art looks super rad
Shame that I hate the Kyuranger zords

Larryb posted:

Also Walter Jones and David Yost will apparently be returning for a 30th anniversary episode later down the line

Also maybe Steve Cardenas?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hopefully they’ll bring one of the Kyuranger suits in as an extra ranger or something as I always thought the costumes looked better than the zords did

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Larryb posted:

So from the panel today it’s looking like Cosmic Fury is going to use Kyuranger footage/Zords but modified Ryusoulger suits and original ground fights:

Kinda disappointing for me at least. I'll admit, I haven't actually watched Kyuranger, but just looking the suits up and they seem rad as gently caress.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

https://twitter.com/Jinsakuu/status/1575919199200870400

It’s also going to be 10 episodes (at least to start with), however each episode will be roughly about 40 minutes long

Seems to me like a lot of wasted time, effort, and money for something that won't be noticeably better than the standard formula and indeed has a very high chance of ending up being worse, which is especially odd considering the whole point of Power Rangers is to do a special effects heavy concept for cheap by using preexisting Japanese footage and then filming a bunch of low grade Disney sitcom style footage and maybe the occasional Z grade martial Arts sequence to give it all a White American Parents friendly context

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

serefin99 posted:

Kinda disappointing for me at least. I'll admit, I haven't actually watched Kyuranger, but just looking the suits up and they seem rad as gently caress.

Kyuranger was somewhat of a mess because it basically tried to juggle 12 rangers at once. The concept for having distinct silhouettes for the different members was good, but in practice, it's pointless without giving these characters unique silhouettes the attention they deserve.

The mecha fights weren't exactly exciting either to my recollection either and overall the series is pretty middling.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

drrockso20 posted:

Seems to me like a lot of wasted time, effort, and money for something that won't be noticeably better than the standard formula and indeed has a very high chance of ending up being worse, which is especially odd considering the whole point of Power Rangers is to do a special effects heavy concept for cheap by using preexisting Japanese footage and then filming a bunch of low grade Disney sitcom style footage and maybe the occasional Z grade martial Arts sequence to give it all a White American Parents friendly context

Hasbro absolutely isn't interested in producing Power Rangers under that model anymore because it limits their ability to leverage it as an independent IP. They want to build relationships with on- and behind- camera talent and produce high-impact film and television, and in 2022 the money and audience exists to support it. Cobra Kai is basically Power Rangers with fewer pyrotechnics already.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Power rangers also shoots a ton a original fight footage these days so it's not exactly unheard of.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I have time so i'm watching this second half of Dino Fury with no context of what happened in part 1.

They really need better music overall, especially in action scenes. it's so flat and not heroic/epic enough. Music helped carry the show in the early days and every series has at least some tracks we love.

Everything looks great as usual, I can't really tell what's Sentai and what's original footage anymore. Acting is good and I like the team. Everybody is getting time to breathe. The new villian handles the "Not evil enough problem".

With Netflix promotion and constant improvements I can see them gaining popularity. I even got my kids to stop and watch for awhile. The only problem is they need a Youtube presence too but with comments disabled on all kids stuff that's hard to do.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Finished last night that was possibly one of, if not, the best finales the series has ever done. The stunt team knocked the added fights out of the park.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
I still feel like this Cosmic Fury thing will be a one-off. PR isn't going to star soley Russell Curry and co for the rest of it's life, at some point they'll make a new season with a new Sentai base and a new cast. I feel like that this time they just realize this cast has lightning-in-a-bottle chemistry between each other and they wanna take advantage of that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

Finished last night that was possibly one of, if not, the best finales the series has ever done. The stunt team knocked the added fights out of the park.

Hell, I’d even go so far as to say that Dino Fury was better than its Sentai counterpart in a lot of aspects (which wasn’t that high of a bar to clear) and it had one of the better casts we’ve seen in years

It was fun to have Zedd back for a little while as well (even though personality wise he seemed more like Sledge from Dino Charge wearing a Zedd suit) and since he technically didn’t die maybe we’ll see a little more of him in the next season

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also some additional information regarding Cosmic Fury from Simon Bennett’s Twitter:

quote:

About the 10 episode format:

"10 episodes is what the order was for. This seems aligned with a lot of other Netflix kids’ shows. I’m not part of these conversations."

Are Hengemen under the Rangers' control again?:

"Depends if anyone could find that key."

Is "Cosmic Fury" the final season?:

"We never know. Every season could be a final season in this precarious industry. We just have to do our utmost to make the show so compelling that lots of people watch it, and the powers that be commission more episodes."

Cosmic Fury villains:

"As I said in the panel, we’ll have Lord Zedd, as well as some completely original villains, plus some returning favourites."

Kyuranger suits - why not?:

"The ground fight footage/suits are unlikely to be adapted because of the sheer number of Rangers. There are some brilliant designs in there, though."

Will they pick Kyuranger zord/megazord scenes?

"Yes."

Additionally it appears I was wrong about the episode length, it was recently confirmed that they’ll still be about 20-22 minutes like normal

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
wait so Cosmic Fury will be a 10 ep mini series?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Junpei posted:

wait so Cosmic Fury will be a 10 ep mini series?

Unless there’s another season down the line that’s what it looks like, yeah. Which makes me wonder how exactly they’re going to make that work

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

I mean, didn't we learn from the Goseiger half of Megaforce that condensing a full Sentai series into a series half it's size means that nothing has any room to breathe? And that's going to be even tighter than Megaforce was.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah but we aren't adapting the arc, plots, themes, and characters (including introductions) of Kyuranger into 10 episodes. We're doing 10 more episodes of Dino Fury, who have an established cast, with new scripts leveraging existing zord footage.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah but we aren't adapting the arc, plots, themes, and characters (including introductions) of Kyuranger into 10 episodes. We're doing 10 more episodes of Dino Fury, who have an established cast, with new scripts leveraging existing zord footage.

True, at the most we might see some Kyuranger monster/villain suits but that’s probably about it

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Sounds like it's time to stop being an originalist when it comes to how Sentai is used, and I'm here for it. The show was always at it's best when it was trying to repurpose stuff with mixed results.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Craptacular! posted:

Sounds like it's time to stop being an originalist when it comes to how Sentai is used, and I'm here for it. The show was always at it's best when it was trying to repurpose stuff with mixed results.
PRiS and Time Force (maybe SPD, maybe lower on the list Lost Galaxy) were good and they didn't really follow the Toku thread.

Ninja Steel however...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

PRiS and Time Force (maybe SPD, maybe lower on the list Lost Galaxy) were good and they didn't really follow the Toku thread.

Ninja Steel however...

RPM is another mark in the 'didn't follow the Toku' for me personally.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Time Force is an extremely faithful adaption of the Ranger side of the story but replaces the villains. Normally, replacing Kobayashi villains would be an unthinkable sin, but Ransik is the greatest.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Time Force is an extremely faithful adaption of the Ranger side of the story but replaces the villains. Normally, replacing Kobayashi villains would be an unthinkable sin, but Ransik is the greatest.

The villain story in Timeranger wasn’t bad either to be fair but yeah, agreed

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Jungle Fury is apparently close to the sentai as well but adds Stoner Wolf.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zedd posted:

Jungle Fury is apparently close to the sentai as well but adds Stoner Wolf.

As is Wild Force minus the added Master Org plotline

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DoctorWhat posted:

One podcast I listen to always rags on the ending which was definitely a weak point. Whenever the rangers in seasons after it are having difficulty they ponder "Have they considered maybe showing the villains a baby?"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Only if you ignore that the real ending to Time Force is Reinforcements from the Future.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love so much that the very first thing Zedd tries when he comes back is "Hm, what if we had an evil ranger". That's Zedd alright

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
https://twitter.com/PowerRangers/status/1575923739031633922
:3:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

As is Wild Force minus the added Master Org plotline

Honestly was kind of brilliant on their part modifying the Gorma Emperor costume to make the Master Org one, all they had to add was the horn, though I do wonder what led to them choosing that costume instead of something original or from a more recent season, maybe they had it lying around from that aborted idea they had for Lost Galaxy of using the Dairanger suits* or something

*honestly after all the headaches the first Saban era of the show had it's actually pretty understandable why they overall got a bit more conservative with how they adapted the first couple of seasons under Disney

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I see Walter has been sipping the fountain of youth. He should share with David.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Somehow Walter looks younger now than he did back when he hosted the intro to the MMPR pilot with Austin a few years ago

Then again, Catherine Sutherland doesn’t appear to age at all

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I met her up close last year. She's aged, but more beautiful than ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AJJ and Nakia Burrise are kind of in the same boat in that regard (speaking of I’d love to see the former come back to Power Rangers in some capacity but she might be too busy these days)