Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the latter half of the 20th century was all about bragging about the technological improvements with treknobabble on the front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
now with blast processing

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

a fair amount of greybeards have youtube videos up where they retrofit a line in to old rear end factory stock cassette decks. basically if you can get ahold of the schematics (or know electronics well enough to trace it out) you just find a spot where the cassette audio circuit is line level, inject your audio there through a couple of resistors, and use a cassette shell with no tape in it to switch the stereo to tape mode

there's a mod for adding an aux port to GM head units that hooks into the FM side, so that when you plug into the aux port it switches from the radio to what you've got in the aux port

i bought a replacement that was already modded (because the tape deck in the old head unit in my buick died) but unfortunately running off that aux port is really quiet for some reason, so i had to have the volume cranked really loud for aux input to sound normal. but i noticed i'd feel kind of fatigued listening to it like that, which i wondered if there was some output i wasn't hearing that was clobbering my eardrums or something, but either way it was unpleasant so i just gave up and used a tape adapter again since the new units tape deck worked.

Jonny 290 posted:

i was pondering pulling the stock ford stereo (6cd indash changer lomarf) for a double din head unit so i can get carplay but theyre all just so gross and ugly, except the $1,000 ones, which are gross, ugly, and expensive

yeah i wish someone would rip off the ipod interface, have like two-thirds of the front area used for a display, and then a big push-knob for navigating the menus (and another big knob for volume). instead, everyone either wants to do just one huge touchscreen (barf), or just re-hash late-90s seven-segment displays

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
touchscreen controls are a loving plague among vehicles

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Kitfox88 posted:

touchscreen controls are a loving plague among vehicles

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jonny 290 posted:

There's no inrush protection on these, so when i flipped the power switch on, even with nothing hooked up, my lights dimmed for a sec and it sounded like a .22 went off as the transformer did its THONK BRUMMMMM thing.

lol that owns

nudgenudgetilt posted:

MOSFET. how did that ever become a marketing term.

i mean, is it? it's an acronym

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

laggy touchscreens especially. i have to drive a prius occasionally and there is easily a 400+ms lag for every press

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i like how on new fancy cars they have shoehorned it into even dumber things than usual, like adjusting the position of vents

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean, is it? it's an acronym

for a period in the late 90s, early 00s, car stereo mfgs used it as a marketing term. I mean, yeah, it's an acronym for a real thing, and as j290 says has benefits as a technology, but it was just weird to see it plastered all over the head unit.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Wild EEPROM posted:

i like how on new fancy cars they have shoehorned it into even dumber things than usual, like adjusting the position of vents

what lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

for a period in the late 90s, early 00s, car stereo mfgs used it as a marketing term. I mean, yeah, it's an acronym for a real thing, and as j290 says has benefits as a technology, but it was just weird to see it plastered all over the head unit.

oh, yeah. i guess you could lump it in with DSP/DAB/AAC/etc too

but also as jonny says, you could say the same with pretty much any technobabble. it's like swiss watches lol

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
agreed, everything from the last few pages owns

funny tech poo poo thread’s been on a roll this weekend

I want to get a “solid state” sticker/decal for my laptop

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

all this tape talk reminds me when i taught my dad to record his reel to reels onto cdrs

he loved that poo poo, and now all those cds are just sitting there cause not even he gives a gently caress about cds lol

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah i wish someone would rip off the ipod interface, have like two-thirds of the front area used for a display, and then a big push-knob for navigating the menus (and another big knob for volume). instead, everyone either wants to do just one huge touchscreen (barf), or just re-hash late-90s seven-segment displays
I currently just have a laptop running DSP poo poo in the trunk, a phone in my pocket, and a couple buttons to control it over bluetooth. I do want to make something like that but with a big chunky dot matrix LCD or VFD and a single swiveling/push rotary controller, but I can't seem to find anything that looks cool in the right size. I wonder how close I could get to that look by just faking it on one of those weird little ultrawide IPS banner screens. I wanted to just pipe it to the little LCD strip that's in my E34's dash, but it's not even enough characters to show a full song name, let alone nav directions, and it is way too slow to not look like poo poo when scrolling.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
buncha car audio nerds are using the behringer dcx2496 as a crossover because it is probably the most configurable one for under 500 bucks till you get into like dbx driveracks

there's even companies that make aftermarket PSUs that fit inside and eat 12vdc instead of 120vac

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5lD9RH__3I

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
more like taycan all my money for a complex gadget!!!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

:negative:

i don't care if they were going to do this anyway i blame musk for this trend

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

buncha car audio nerds are using the behringer dcx2496 as a crossover because it is probably the most configurable one for under 500 bucks till you get into like dbx driveracks

there's even companies that make aftermarket PSUs that fit inside and eat 12vdc instead of 120vac
That pretty cool. I was going to either use something similar, or a discrete amp/dsp board per driver, but yeah it gets unwieldy or expensive real quick. Even then most stuff is still way behind what you can do with something like Carla. I run more filter taps on just my sub channel than a MiniDSP or Helix can handle for an entire system.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

:negative:

i don't care if they were going to do this anyway i blame musk for this trend

i do, too. despite liking star trek, i do not, in fact, want to okudagram my car's thermostat at 75 mph

i figure my car is probably the last i can get with physical inputs for everything with carplay as well and i'm going to drive it until it rusts to pieces

even the media controls are buttons on the wheel, the center console, and the screen which is perfect

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have stereo and temp/fan up/down buttons on my wheel and it's fuckin perfect

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

there's a mod for adding an aux port to GM head units that hooks into the FM side, so that when you plug into the aux port it switches from the radio to what you've got in the aux port

I got the aux adapter thing for my XM Skyfi in my Sierra circa 2005. it was pretty slick, click the aux input, would power up the satellite receiver and sounded great (for compressed sat rad). The SkyFi also used the old universal mount for my Nokia 7160 cradle lol.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

i do, too. despite liking star trek, i do not, in fact, want to okudagram my car's thermostat at 75 mph

i figure my car is probably the last i can get with physical inputs for everything with carplay as well and i'm going to drive it until it rusts to pieces

even the media controls are buttons on the wheel, the center console, and the screen which is perfect

my last car had a lcd display for the temperature but it was still a physical jog wheel. it was mostly fine, although having it just spin instead of having a discrete start and end point was a little annoying. i think thats as far as i'd take it

of course the a/c vents you could just nudge into place though. i cant imagine having to use a goddamn tablet to do that

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

not really tech, but ben affleck is with jlo, the mariners are in the playoffs, and quantum leap is on tv.

what loving year is it?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

not really tech, but ben affleck is with jlo, the mariners are in the playoffs, and quantum leap is on tv.

what loving year is it?

i'd say 2003 but that would mean bakula would be in star trek lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i've got faith

faith of the heart

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

my car has one of the best features of any car:

the hvac fan speed dial has a minimum and maximum on it, it's not one of those infinitely spinning things. and it's labeled where the start and end point is. and it even has lots of clicks and isn't the usual 4 speeds.

it's the simple things

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
mine's up/down buttons but it has six positions above 'off' which is cool

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i'm guessing mine was infinity spin because it ranged from like 65-80, but since it just spun around it was still kinda lovely to use because you'd have to take your eyes off of the road anyway. imo they should have put a piezo or something in there to increase/decrease the resistance so you could do it by knobfeel

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Beeftweeter posted:

do it by knobfeel

Text me

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Jonny 290 posted:

the latter half of the 20th century was all about bragging about the technological improvements with treknobabble on the front

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://cari.institute/aesthetics/cassette-futurism

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 3, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

the miracle of class D amplifier ICs, yeah. they're tiny as gently caress and like 90% efficient so you don't need heatsink like you did back then

I have this class D subwoofer amp from my car that drives a 12" dual voice coil sub running in parallel at 2 ohms

as far as I can tell, that is few ohms

it did work better when it was in my car. currently I use a PC power supply to power the amp, I'm amazed it works at all.

its not bad. it does belong in a car tho lol. it used to fuckin push some bass, it was pretty mad for a while back then. im far too demotivated to bother wiring it into my new car

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I love how every "look at all of the businesses this computer can do for you" ad up until semi-recently was "here's a chart that optionally has a table under/beside it, this is what you use these things for right?"

I get that it's meant to show off color and detail and all but jeez, c'mon.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

it's like that ~1995-2000 thing where every computer photo had to have 15 tiny windows on the screen to show that it could multitask (and which linux users still do).

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Car Stereo Status: Did anyone else follow the EMPEG Mp3 Linux Head Unit at the turn of the millennium, thinking it was going to be The Year of Linux on the DesktopDashboard..? The very essence of a Slashdot-era tech development that died from lots of tech people but no marketers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empeg_Car

It's fun to look stuff like this up and get back a bunch of 1999/2000 web pages that are still alive

https://www.anandtech.com/show/622/4

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

one must imagine the "omg linux on x" people very happy in 2022.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jonny 290 posted:

e: i bought it from an estate sale for $35, and it had evidently been off for years because the caps were completely discharged. There's no inrush protection on these, so when i flipped the power switch on, even with nothing hooked up, my lights dimmed for a sec and it sounded like a .22 went off as the transformer did its THONK BRUMMMMM thing.

something in my house keeps doing this and idk what it is. There's a definite dim when I turn my desktop amp on which is weird because it's tiny (tangent ampster), but sometimes it just happens. I think the lights are poo poo which doesn't help. Some sort of weird LEDs that have an actual warmup time.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Did anyone else follow the EMPEG Mp3 Linux Head Unit at the turn of the millennium, thinking it was going to be The Year of Linux on the DesktopDashboard..? The very essence of a Slashdot-era tech development that died from lots of tech people but no marketers.

I fantasized about replacing my rio volt and tape adapter with one of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Laptops without backlit keyboards, but with top down lighting