Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

I am not sure what it is.

Sorta update:
:iiam:

I checked the weird cubby cut out in our bedroom and went up to the attic again. No vent hole. The cut out can easily be seen in the attic and is 5-6 feet from the mystery vent. Unless I pull the entire vent hose through the plywood it goes in to I can't see what is below. The hole is tight fitting around the hose and I dont know if its connected at one end and dont want to rip it if its attached to...something

Still no idea what it is for or where it attached to on the low end. Single story house on a slab so no basement or crawl space application. Our fire place is a giant stone facade to is basically has to connect to the fireplace if anything...but why are there two connections?

DIY radon mitigation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Jenkl posted:

Fresh air intake? Except the exterior vent cap closes.... Hmm

A/C system is on opposite side of the house. Florida so no furnace...but I think you nailed it. Apparently some fireplaces can have fresh air intakes. Mine has a grating around the front of it. I can't see what it is hooked up to but I bet it is a fresh air intake to ensure the fireplace gets enough air.

Mystery solved, I think.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Harriet Carker posted:

Speaking of dryers, when I moved into this house I basically took apart the dryer and cleaner out all the lint. I also replaced the exhaust hose. After running a load, there are always tufts of lint outside on the ground under the exhaust opening. Is this normal? I always clean the lint trap after every load. Internet tells me this is a sign of blockage in the exhaust hose but it’s brand new.

It doesn't matter if the hose is unblocked if the duct from it to the outside is clogged. Clean your dryer duct.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What's a good way, tool, system etc for cleaning the duct, anyway? Mine is 14 feet off the ground on the side of my house, so I can just barely climb a ladder and graze the duct with my finger tips, but I'm assuming I need to get in there pretty deep, potentially

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://www.amazon.com/Holikme-Clea...ps%2C908&sr=8-2

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

$3 coupon and same day delivery? Oh baby

Thanks!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Motronic posted:

It doesn't matter if the hose is unblocked if the duct from it to the outside is clogged. Clean your dryer duct.

Sorry I’m maybe using the wrong terminology. I replaced the entire thing from the back of my dryer to the outside and cleaned the entire inside of the dryer. There should be no lint whatsoever anywhere in the dryer or duct.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My condo association requires a professional dryer duct cleaning every two years. Good to know my neighbors won't be burning the building down, but I hate paying so much for something I could do myself. Also, my vent run is 20 feet or so, it seems to be hindering performance even when freshly cleaned.

I keep considering a ventless heat pump dryer. I wouldn't have to clean the vent and the stupid long duct wouldn't matter. Are they any good, would I hate it just as much?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

the fun of home ownership: last night during the hurricane i noticed a little water seeping under our back door. checked this morning and there's a small split at a seam where the caulk has worn away. easy fix! hm, while i'm here let's patch up the paint. oh whats this small interior trim piece, you're totally rotten? fun!

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 1, 2022

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

we've also officially owned our house for a year! I was bored last night and added up all the "unexpected" maintenance/repair tasks from the last year (not including cosmetic changes or standard, yearly service tasks):

- repointing 6 chimneys ($1,500)
- brick repointing around two windows to fix a leak ($3,600)
- hot water heater replacement ($1,700)
- fridge repair ($125)
- toilet repair ($50)
- sink fixture replacement ($225)
- garage door repair, including replacing all the rollers and locking bar ($350)
- next weekend we're having all of our exterior windows stripped, repainted and caulked ($1400)

and to come in the near future:

- resealing our garage roof ($500 - $2,500 depending on what we end up getting done)
- repairing the plaster damaged when we had our leak once it sufficiently dries out (which could be 3-6 months from now) ($2,000 - $4,000)

home ownership is fun!

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 1, 2022

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Home Ownership: It may be a money put, but its my money pit

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Harriet Carker posted:

Sorry I’m maybe using the wrong terminology. I replaced the entire thing from the back of my dryer to the outside and cleaned the entire inside of the dryer. There should be no lint whatsoever anywhere in the dryer or duct.

Well, your dryer is broken/assembled wrong or there's a restriction somewhere along the ductwork. Somebody who knows what they are looking at should be looking at those things.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

one of the first things i did after moving in was clean out the dryer vent and replace the flexible ducting, because why not? the ducting was like $7 and now i won't die in a fire!

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Guy Axlerod posted:

My condo association requires a professional dryer duct cleaning every two years. Good to know my neighbors won't be burning the building down, but I hate paying so much for something I could do myself. Also, my vent run is 20 feet or so, it seems to be hindering performance even when freshly cleaned.

I keep considering a ventless heat pump dryer. I wouldn't have to clean the vent and the stupid long duct wouldn't matter. Are they any good, would I hate it just as much?

We've had our Samsung for 3 or 4 years and it's been fine. It destroys clothes over time, partially because of all the buttons on my kids' clothes, I think, but it's not different from any other dryer I'd assume. Takes 3 hours and 15 mins to dry a load of laundry, about as long as it takes to do the same load of laundry.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

We had a washer/ventless dryer combo when we were overseas (so some of this may not apply to North American machines) and I liked it a lot because I could just put certain of my clothes in before bed and have them washed and dried when I got up.

They take a really long time to dry clothes though, and the one we had would not clear lint off the clothes. We bought new towels and they kept that new towel fuzz for several washes which was pretty annoying. With ours, you couldn't really dry on low heat the way you can with a vented dryer, you were basically just choosing how wet you wanted your clothes at the end of the cycle. For a lot of my clothes that meant line drying because they couldn't take higher heat.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Arkanomen posted:

Home Ownership: It may be a money put, but its my money pit

All the stuff that would not be fixed at all if I was renting.

Struensee posted:

We've had our Samsung for 3 or 4 years and it's been fine. It destroys clothes over time, partially because of all the buttons on my kids' clothes, I think, but it's not different from any other dryer I'd assume. Takes 3 hours and 15 mins to dry a load of laundry, about as long as it takes to do the same load of laundry.

I'm guessing you have a front-loading washer? I think that might be a necessary upgrade for me as well, I think they tend to extract more water from the clothes than a top loader.

BonerGhost posted:

We had a washer/ventless dryer combo when we were overseas (so some of this may not apply to North American machines) and I liked it a lot because I could just put certain of my clothes in before bed and have them washed and dried when I got up.

They take a really long time to dry clothes though, and the one we had would not clear lint off the clothes. We bought new towels and they kept that new towel fuzz for several washes which was pretty annoying. With ours, you couldn't really dry on low heat the way you can with a vented dryer, you were basically just choosing how wet you wanted your clothes at the end of the cycle. For a lot of my clothes that meant line drying because they couldn't take higher heat.

I think the control on my current dryer is busted, the "low" heat seems to be the same as the "high" heat. So I wouldn't be losing anything, but good to know about.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Yeah I like choosing what to fix and more importantly how to fix it, as a renter you'd just get stopgaps or no fix at all. It'd end up worse in the long term but landlords were rarely interested in preventing that

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Guy Axlerod posted:

I'm guessing you have a front-loading washer? I think that might be a necessary upgrade for me as well, I think they tend to extract more water from the clothes than a top loader.

Top loading isn't really a thing here in Denmark.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Guy Axlerod posted:

I bought this heat pump dryer and really like it. I bought it so I could relocate the dryer to a place that didn't have a gas line and also so I didn't need to cut another hole in my house for the vent. Bonus that I have excess solar capacity and net metering so I dry clothes for free now. It takes 1:40 on the longest setting which gets clothes mostly dry even with a full load. This model is one of if not the biggest HP options, it's basically a regular sized dryer. Most on the market are roughly half this size. Also all of the combo washer/dryers I've used internationally were terrible. I did like the convenience of not having to move the load over but they did an overall bad job at both cleaning and drying. Plus everything always came out extremely wrinkled.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Upgrade posted:

- repointing 6 chimneys ($1,500)

Your house has 6 chimneys?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Muir posted:

I know it might seem odd that we let folks with only 6 chimneys participate in the thread with the rest of us. But it's good to hear the perspective of the common man from time to time. Keeps us grounded.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CarForumPoster posted:

A/C system is on opposite side of the house. Florida so no furnace...but I think you nailed it. Apparently some fireplaces can have fresh air intakes. Mine has a grating around the front of it. I can't see what it is hooked up to but I bet it is a fresh air intake to ensure the fireplace gets enough air.

Mystery solved, I think.

To be sure: get a fan, fire up some patchouli incense & blow it down the flex pipe from the roof or attic.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 2, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Muir posted:

Only six chimneys?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Muir posted:

Old house, fire place in every room :) it’s actually 5, that was a typo

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Upgrade posted:

one of the first things i did after moving in was clean out the dryer vent and replace the flexible ducting, because why not? the ducting was like $7 and now i won't die in a fire!

You won’t die in a dryer fire. There are many other types.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

time is the dryer in which we burn

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

PainterofCrap posted:

To be sure: get a fan, fire up some patchouli incense & blow it down the flex pipe from the roof or attic.

Yes but where to buy patchouli? Perhaps if I had a time machine to a 1980s “tobacco” store

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

an iksar marauder posted:

Yeah I like choosing what to fix and more importantly how to fix it, as a renter you'd just get stopgaps or no fix at all. It'd end up worse in the long term but landlords were rarely interested in preventing that

When I lived in Oakland in an apartment on the 3rd floor of a house, I had a landlord who, after an earthquake, simply painted over the new cracks in the foundation with grey paint and some indoor spackle that quickly broke down into gunk and washed away.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tempted to post this over in the parenting thread but I think I'll get better answers here

Is there a Better Way to childproof an oven, specifically a Bosch range. You can always remove the knobs but looking for alternative solutions

Kind of surprised you can't disable the switches on the front seeing as how it's an electric control board

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
We used these for knob controls

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Safety-...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

knob controls are only needed by people without knob control

makes you think

also i thought i was sick because my lungs got irritated doing home and lawn repairs from the hurricane. now im all hopped up on goofballs and flur de caña and my posting is extra bad

turns out 8 hours of wet fiberglass exposure plus drywall work and mowing a wet rear end hurricane lawn is NOT good for you

EDIT: and if motronic comes in here speculating that i actually have cellulosic and not fiberglass insulation in my ceiling im gonna buy him an EVEN LAMER AVATAR THAN NEUTERED RON

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 3, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

oh cool, finally I get to justify my 3d printer to my wife

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

EDIT: and if motronic comes in here speculating that i actually have cellulosic and not fiberglass insulation in my ceiling im gonna buy him an EVEN LAMER AVATAR THAN NEUTERED RON

Saw this over in the image generation thread and briefly considered buying him a new av:

mcbexx posted:

is a source of endless joy.

Caveat warning: The output for female celebrities gets quite horny pretty quick.

Complete Gallery with highlights - possibly :nws: - here. I'll probably keep updating the gallery until I get bored.

Edit: Got a bit carried away, 2 hours later its 50+ images and counting :lol:

You wouldn't like them when they're angry.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CarForumPoster posted:

knob controls are only needed by people without knob control

makes you think

also i thought i was sick because my lungs got irritated doing home and lawn repairs from the hurricane. now im all hopped up on goofballs and flur de caña and my posting is extra bad

turns out 8 hours of wet fiberglass exposure plus drywall work and mowing a wet rear end hurricane lawn is NOT good for you

Bro you need to don the P100 respirator. They're so much more comfortable than breathing dust.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Bro you need to don the P100 respirator. They're so much more comfortable than breathing dust.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

StormDrain posted:

He’s just doing drywall, not going to Costco…

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Save you the trouble:

$20 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IF7RBS4/ respirator
$23 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYX8JBU/ lifetime supply of P100 filters

Also really useful for highly effective at keeping annoying relatives from talking to you at weddings

edit: if you think you might need the large, definitely get the large, especially if you're taller than 5'6"

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 3, 2022

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
Any advice on how to diagnose a circuit breaker that keeps tripping? Here's a shortlist of things I know are on that circuit:

* Microwave.
* Stove (gas).
* Small convection oven.
* A couple of outlets with nothing in them.
* An overhead light.

Sometimes, when we were gone for an extended period of time, I'd come back to that breaker flipped. Now if I reset it it seems to flip back in a matter of minutes, even without running anything. Should I just call an electrician? The aforementioned devices/appliances have been working fine, so I'm unsure how best to debug the issue. Unplug each thing and reset the breaker and see if it flips? How can I test the outlets for a short?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

defmacro posted:

Any advice on how to diagnose a circuit breaker that keeps tripping? Here's a shortlist of things I know are on that circuit:

* Microwave.
* Stove (gas).
* Small convection oven.
* A couple of outlets with nothing in them.
* An overhead light.

Sometimes, when we were gone for an extended period of time, I'd come back to that breaker flipped. Now if I reset it it seems to flip back in a matter of minutes, even without running anything. Should I just call an electrician? The aforementioned devices/appliances have been working fine, so I'm unsure how best to debug the issue. Unplug each thing and reset the breaker and see if it flips? How can I test the outlets for a short?

Definitely sounds like you've got a short somewhere.

Try it first with everything unplugged. If that fixes it then it's obviously an applicatiance and test them one by one to figure out which.

If it's not an appliance causing it, then if it were me I'd pull out every outlet/fixture on it and inspect for damage. Is it a 15 amp or 20 amp circuit? Microwaves are usually 15 amps by themselves so if it was a 15 amp circuit its probably been overloaded and the insulation broke down over time causing the short.

If that's the case and there's wire damage I'd call in an electrician, but you can diagnose up to that point yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I have no question that a P100 is the right call for Costco but do you really need one for drywall and fiberglass? I always thought a N95 was fine for drywall/fiberglass sanding. There are significantly more comfortable N95 options like the Envo mask which I can’t say enough good things about.