Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Technically Dusty has a ring :v:

As a player

Also as a Dodger which I'm sure doesn't help for Giants fans :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’m glad I can root for Cleveland again without feeling a sense of shame over the name. I’m hoping one of these teams makes it to the WS, Cleveland, Seattle, San Diego, Toronto, Philadelphia. I don’t care about the others.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Obligatory: Mets
gently caress yeah: Mariners, Jays
OK why not: Guardians, Padres, Rays
How the gently caress are they this high: Dodgers, Yankees
No thankyou: Cardinals, Phillies
Kill me please: Astros, Braves

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Go Mariners

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Jays clinched the fourth seed last night, which is nice. That's two games against Baltimore to line things up for the playoffs now.

e: also Whit Merrifield now has a 127 OPS+ with the Jays. 289/333/465. He's been real good.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
To inspire some hate.

Yes Yes Yes
1. Yankees

I'd Be Fine With That
2. Dodgers (because of Mookie)
3. Mariners (for the long suffering)

Whatever
4-11. Everyone else

gently caress These Cheating Shitbags Until the Heat Death of the Universe
12. Astros

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

go one of Mariners / Jays / Guardians / Padres / Mets

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Guardians beat Barves in 4 to show the power of not being racisters

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Going to laugh so hard if Judge gets stuck on 61 and we had all of this dumb discourse for nothing

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yes Please
Blue Jays

That Would Be Cool
Mariners
Phillies
Guardians

Sure Why Not
Astros
Cardinals
Padres
Mets
Rays

gently caress Off
Dodgers
Yankees

Serious gently caress Off
Braves

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It's About Time
Mariners

Hell No
Cardinals
Astros

gently caress Off
Yankees

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

How the gently caress are they this high: Dodgers, Yankees
I am surprised to see how many posters have the Dodgers as a solid “tolerable mid tier” team this year

Mookie Betts truly is the best

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Going to laugh so hard if Judge gets stuck on 61 and we had all of this dumb discourse for nothing

Well he’s still got the AL record. So the main conversation stays the same. It’s just a question of whether Maris is in the discussion.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’m glad I can root for Cleveland again without feeling a sense of shame over the name. I’m hoping one of these teams makes it to the WS, Cleveland, Seattle, San Diego, Toronto, Philadelphia. I don’t care about the others.

Good call; I actively rooted against them just because of the name.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

gently caress da Yankees forever and ever
gently caress the Astros
Philly fans do not deserve happiness.

I'm ok with everyone else probably though. Maybe not the Cardinals but Pujols is pretty cool and I'm having a good time enjoying the cool poo poo his last season has been producing.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I’d be fine with the Yankees because my kid is dumb and likes Aaron Judge. Otherwise I’d love to see the Mariners get into the series.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

I am surprised to see how many posters have the Dodgers as a solid “tolerable mid tier” team this year

It helps that I no longer live in Los Angeles.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

I can't help but respect billionaire owners who actually spend money instead of crying poverty while still making huge profits and they don't really have any players that move the needle back the other way (and in fact also have several cool players that further push the needle the good way).

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

bawfuls posted:

They put in the work, they aren’t actively unpleasant, and it’s impossible to argue against them as the most deserving team this season. I can’t imagine anyone feeling too aggrieved about losing to them, like the Braves dropping the NLCS to them in 6 games would be a perfectly acceptable end to the season

maffew buildings posted:

Guardians beat Barves in 4 to show the power of not being racisters

also ok with this, they were very polite in 1995

elentar fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 4, 2022

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
If you NL people aren't rooting for the Mariners, I don't want to know you.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm cool with people saying gently caress the Astros and put the Astros 11th in their ranking. I totally get it. But come on you can't put the Yankees above us. Dirty rotten cheaters or not that's the god drat Yankees over there and you say gently caress the Yankees forever and ever.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Philly fans do not deserve happiness.

To be fair, we've never heard of it

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
yankees, phillies, and mariners are the teams I'd most like to see go all the way, but I don't really have a problem with any of the other teams in the race. I think the cardinals are kinda boring, but that might be their division. I don't like how the rays run their org but glasnow is back so I'll enjoy watching their games anyway

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bawfuls posted:

for me it's not so much that the Dodgers are tolerable so much as all the teams below are just worse

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Hell yes: barves

P kewl: Mariners, Astros

sure ok: Padres, Rays, Jays, Guardians

ehhh: Phillies

NOOO!: Mets, Dodgers, Cardinals, Yankees

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

New champs are always cool so everyone should put the M's and Padres in the top tier or nearabouts unless you have a specific dislike for them in particular

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Red posted:

The Eagles won the Super Bowl like four years ago

e: the Phillies won a World series in 2008! That's more recent than half the field's most recent championship!

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 4, 2022

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Playoff baseball loving rules.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Red posted:

you beat tom brady in the superbowl 4 years ago

e: also you have gritty

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It would actually be cool to see Pujols win one in his last season. So I'm ok with the Cards.

It would be cool to see Julio win too and maybe it would chill Mariners fan out if they won. So I guess Seattle is fine.

I think Buck Showalter kind of got screwed out of two World Champions he helped build by being fired the year before they won so I think it would be fitting for him to win with a team that was already kind of built but couldn't get their poo poo together until he showed up. So I'm cool with the Mets.

I guess I'm cool with the Guardians as positive reinforcement for stopping being overtly racist like SOME teams. So I'm ok with Cleveland.

I got nothing against Philly. I feel like having a sandwich just thinking of them.

I have no feelings at all on the Padres.

I don't dislike the Dodgers but they just won so no real reason to need to see them win again. But they've had an incredible season and a great run and a WS win would definitely really establish this little dynasty run for them.

Jays annoyed me this season so I'm bitter now. But I'm not like actively rooting against them.

Braves and Astros nuff said. They're bad parties and they already won. gently caress em.

Obviously I'm a Yankee fan.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Blue Jays
Mariners
Padres
Guardians
Rays

everyone else

Braves
Astros
Yankees
Cardinals

There's nothing particularly dis-likable about the Dodgers, they're an incredible team with a ton of depth and owners who spend money. They have cool players and the only WS they won was during the shortened Covid year so I'm totally fine with them winning it again. The Braves I've come to actively dislike over the years, The Chop is embarrassing at best, Marcell Ozuna should not be playing baseball and they aren't even in Atlanta anymore.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ozuna isn't even good anymore, he's a -1 bWAR player

It's beyond reasoning that they continue to roster him

Red
Apr 15, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

The Eagles won the Super Bowl like four years ago

e: the Phillies won a World series in 2008! That's more recent than half the field's most recent championship!

Intruder posted:

you beat tom brady in the superbowl 4 years ago

e: also you have gritty

I don't follow other sports, but a Superb Bowl sounds nice.

The 2008 World Series was great, but that era is incredibly depressing given how quickly Rube burned the franchise down. When the Phillies were eliminated by the Cardinals a few years later, I remember a goon joking (in this very subforum!) that the Phillies' window closed so hard it destroyed Ryan Howard's knee.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Intruder posted:

Ozuna isn't even good anymore, he's a -1 bWAR player

It's beyond reasoning that they continue to roster him

he’s actually had a decent September which really makes me worry they’ll try to keep him around somehow

it is very irritating that between him and the various modes of racism in the org that a really cool, fun, young team can only be the heel unless it’s against the Astros or I guess the Yankees

(also please god no Braves-Yanks WS, seen plenty how that goes)

elentar fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 4, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

elentar posted:

he’s actually had a decent September which really makes me worry they’ll try to keep him around somehow

it is very irritating that between him and the various modes of racism in the org that a really cool, fun, young team can only be the heel unless it’s against the Astros or I guess the Yankees

(also please god no Braves-Yanks WS, seen plenty how that goes)

Its gross that racism is somehow a lesser evil to so many than just being the team that won a bunch.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Its gross that racism is somehow a lesser evil to so many than just being the team that won a bunch.

People posting fun ranked lists of who they do/don't want to see win the WS shouldn't be taken as a moral standing. It's all for fun, if you really dig into every team you can probably find some reprehensible person/thing to dislike them for.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

fair, and I really need to catch myself when I start trying to ponder any justifications, which will inevitably be half or less assed. the chop is gross, it should never have happened, and even having happened it should’ve stopped long ago or at the bare minimum right away

and even on top of that there was a brief window there where the franchise could’ve really embraced Atlanta’s multiethnic heritage and instead pulled up stakes for the white suburban base and that will stamp them forever

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Popete posted:

People posting fun ranked lists of who they do/don't want to see win the WS shouldn't be taken as a moral standing. It's all for fun, if you really dig into every team you can probably find some reprehensible person/thing to dislike them for.

This exactly. Seeing half the Phils banned from visiting Canada sucked, but every team has its morons.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Is it too late to say "go Pirates!"?

Mets are my second team, though, so pulling for them. I don't know enough about the others yet to decide on heroes and villains this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Popete posted:

Fangraphs should add a column for "percentage of team WAR contributed by chuds"