Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

IPv6 let me ssh to a host with misconfigured IPv4 settings, it was nice.

they call it IPv6 because you take one look at subnetting it and get IPv6 to your stomach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

How many people at home actually own/buy their modem versus just renting one from the ISP? I'm pretty sure for most people the transition is going to be their ISP tells them they need to come pick up this new modem by some date or their internet will die, they'll keep paying $5 a month, and have no idea they're running on IPv6 now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Knormal posted:

How many people at home actually own/buy their modem versus just renting one from the ISP? I'm pretty sure for most people the transition is going to be their ISP tells them they need to come pick up this new modem by some date or their internet will die, they'll keep paying $5 a month, and have no idea they're running on IPv6 now.

I did both for about 5 years. Returned the modern because I bought my own, and because I'm fiscally irresponsible I never noticed the $5 a month charge. I didn't even try to get a credit, just called and they stopped the charge heh.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Nah it's pretty seamless for most people. As long as you get the right modem.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Medullah posted:

I did both for about 5 years. Returned the modern because I bought my own, and because I'm fiscally irresponsible I never noticed the $5 a month charge. I didn't even try to get a credit, just called and they stopped the charge heh.

And the customer service rep who provisions it isn't a blithering idiot.

Which in this case is asking a lot.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Renegret posted:

And the customer service rep who provisions it isn't a blithering idiot.

Which in this case is asking a lot.

Now I have the company's modem which I decided wasn't worth the pain of maintaining my own, but I will never use a cable company's router. I have a weird sense of distrust on that. Plus it's usually not as good as the higher end routers you can get

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

My latest speed update came with a no charge modem, so that was nice.

For my in-laws, I just have them use the one that Xfinity provides because it's less bullshit than trying to manage it for them.

For me, I have 2 Nighthawks to cover my house and give me enough IPs for my lab setup (6x NICs and 32 cores, so LOTS of VMs) and not have to try and deal with their bullshit.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I used my own and when I killed my account they still billed me for a missing modem.

No wonder that one dude tried to take out telecom in Tennessee or whatever

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Younger Hughmoris would be all about getting a high-tech modem and router and optimizing as much as possible. Old Hughmoris took the Cox modem/router combo and called it good.

Lazyness combined with the fact that modems and routers are pretty drat expensive these days.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Medullah posted:

Now I have the company's modem which I decided wasn't worth the pain of maintaining my own, but I will never use a cable company's router. I have a weird sense of distrust on that. Plus it's usually not as good as the higher end routers you can get

Modem rentals are a sore spot for me. It's in the company's best interest to have everyone using their modems. It moves the point of demarc one step closer to the ISP which is objectively good for the average person. Customers will get the correct modem for their service level. The ISP can control what firmware gets pushed, and will also have support contracts with the vendors to make specific feature requests and bug fixes.

Then suddenly ISPs started charging for modem rentals and things went to poo poo. You have lovely firmware with bugs that are left unfixed and people like me have to deal with it. Customers are buying the cheapest 16 down DOCSIS 3.0 modem from best buy when they're configured for 32 down or 3.1, then complaining about slow speeds. Want to know how your node is configured? Good loving luck, customer service doesn't know how to find that out, and you also have no way of knowing if an upgrade is coming your way, so the only way to be really sure is to pay the money for a top of the line modem that you may not actually need. The customer experience is significantly worse all for what I can only guess is, not all that much money for the ISP.

Plus on a moral standpoint, I just feel like it's a cost that the ISP should eat.

That being said, if you're worried about the ISP pulling some kind of funny business with the modem, you don't need to worry. All the funny business happens upstream :v:

e: also, as seen from this thread and in my own experience, that rental fee is such a hassle and keeps getting hosed up on your bill. It's almost like it's inclusion to the billing system was done in some hacky way or something, I dunno.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 30, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The ISP should provide everything that is required to present their service as standard ethernet, and then include the costs in the service fee rather than displaying it separately. If I destroy that equipment then charge me for it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Renegret posted:

Modem rentals are a sore spot for me. It's in the company's best interest to have everyone using their modems. It moves the point of demarc one step closer to the ISP which is objectively good for the average person. Customers will get the correct modem for their service level. The ISP can control what firmware gets pushed, and will also have support contracts with the vendors to make specific feature requests and bug fixes.

Yeah I should have clarified, I use the company's modem and there's no additional charge for me (whether it's a mistake or a feature I'm not asking)

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Knormal posted:

I use the supplied modem and an extender (Telenor’s Snøhetta-designed ones) because I couldn’t shell out $$$ for my own and rental of the two is like $10 extra monthly.

They’ve been good, no worries. And luckily Telenor runs native IPv6, gives me a /64, and I can set my own addresses at will. Of course I have ::d34d:b33f and ::b00b for my main computers 🤓

The best things about IPv6 are
1) no NAT so I can access the ::b00b at mediaserver.domain
2) addresses represented in hex for ultimate calculator-like address fun

E2: gently caress I mean router. The fibre conversion box is also ISP-supplied because what’s the point of even thinking about replacing it? It works. Fibre in, Ethernet out, then to router.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 30, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Knormal posted:

Every ISP I've ever had in Ireland or the UK just gives you a box. Sometimes multiple boxen. They're all combo modem/routers. There's no charge for it unless it's UPC/Virgin with their stupid "Horizon" box that is poo poo and spends ages ARP flooding your local network as an anti-piracy tactic but is also your TV box, and then it's part of the TV charge so you don't benefit at all when they give you another box to just do Internet Things instead. Also the Horizon box doesn't have the internet connection disabled either so you get to have fun loving your own connection! WHEEEEE!

My parents house has something like a half-dozen or so boxen sitting around as ISPs were switched or the ISP rolled out an upgraded basic model.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

wrong thread

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I remember the early days of cable internet where if you ordered TV and internet at the same time the internet part was provided by plugging into the cable TV box with a USB cable. Complete poo poo.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
UPC decided that was a great thing to launch in 2013 :psyduck:

At least it had ethernet ports I guess.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
On Shaw in Canada and I just use the modem/router combo they offer with the modem (pretty sure they license the Xfinity gear from Comcast) in bridge/passthrough mode so I can use my own router/WiFi gear.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Knormal posted:

In Italy it's pretty much untenable to buy FTTC/FTTH service without having a router included. You can try but you will either have reduced service or pay the same prices than having the included unit. Providing the best router has been a selling point for ISPs so unless you pick a niche ISP you will fetch a decent part. My first router from my current ISP (Technicolor DGA4130) was far faster than the average prosumer router of the era and my current one (DGA4132) is pretty much the same logic board with a sfp rather than copper WAN. If I move to 2.5 or 10g service I will have to move to a ZTE or SAGEM part so i'm not that eager to jump.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Does anyone happen to know of a better inbound call handling system than Cisco finesse? The one we use seems to always crash or disconnect users along with it not sending any notifications that we can tell when a call comes in.

Is our implementation just not set up correctly or is finesse as bad a piece of software as it seems to be?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Zil posted:

Does anyone happen to know of a better inbound call handling system than Cisco finesse? The one we use seems to always crash or disconnect users along with it not sending any notifications that we can tell when a call comes in.

Is our implementation just not set up correctly or is finesse as bad a piece of software as it seems to be?

We use Finesse and we have none of the issues you’re describing. It has worked pretty great to be honest.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I rented a modem once and saw the monthly fee and went gently caress you and bought my own and have been doing that for over a decade

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

GreenNight posted:

We use Finesse and we have none of the issues you’re describing. It has worked pretty great to be honest.

I strongly suspected that, thanks.

Though I have to ask, when calls come in do you let them auto route to an agent or is it a case where you have the tech pull the call from a queue?

As in do you leave everyone in a Ready state or do people only set themselves to ready when they want to take a call?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Zil posted:

I strongly suspected that, thanks.

Though I have to ask, when calls come in do you let them auto route to an agent or is it a case where you have the tech pull the call from a queue?

As in do you leave everyone in a Ready state or do people only set themselves to ready when they want to take a call?

We leave everyone in a ready state. We have different teams for different product lines and calls are routed based on which number the caller hits. We give 5 minutes after a call to wrap up before the agent can be routed another call.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreenNight posted:

We leave everyone in a ready state. We have different teams for different product lines and calls are routed based on which number the caller hits. We give 5 minutes after a call to wrap up before the agent can be routed another call.

When I worked at a call center our limit was 5 but if we were over two we were taking too long 😡

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Ah yeah we only set ourselves to ready when we are actually ready and not in a remote session with a customer. I think finesse may be great for a call center type situation but not for a typical help desk setup where people come and go from meetings all the time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Zil posted:

Ah yeah we only set ourselves to ready when we are actually ready and not in a remote session with a customer. I think finesse may be great for a call center type situation but not for a typical help desk setup where people come and go from meetings all the time.

Yeah it’s for our call center specifically. Not IT.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Bad: I’m at an under-construction job site and the new door on the LAN room I need to get into has a latch but no lock or door handle yet, and someone closed it so there’s was no way to actually open the door.
Good: the strike plate was so poorly fitted I was able to just easily slip the latch with a flathead screwdriver.
Bad: the strike plate was so poorly fitted I was able to just easily slip the latch with a flathead screwdriver.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I bought my own modem to replace the Comcast one, I'll recoup the costs in less than a year. As a bonus, the Comcast POS had to be power cycled 3-4 times a month as it lost sync. In 5 months on the Motorolla I've cycled it once, so that's nice.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

jesus christ what a morning. we changed the staff wifi password system-wide but my boss typed it in wrong so it didn't match what she told all the branch managers it was going to be two weeks ago. also somehow our main network share got renamed from global_data to global-data, breaking countless shortcuts and paths. my eye twitches when the phone rings

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tell your boss to stop making after hour changes while drunk.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Internet Explorer posted:

Tell your boss to stop making after hour changes while drunk.

You can't ask someone to stay sober just because they have a thing later. Its unamerican

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Weedle posted:

also somehow our main network share got renamed from global_data to global-data, breaking countless shortcuts and paths

apparently this was on purpose, because the vendor who set up our new storage over the weekend was like only losers and lames use underscores, hyphens are where it is at. and our infra guy was like that sounds good. let's give it a hyphen and configure all the new poo poo to point that way. it didn't occur to him until this morning that there was a perhaps even better reason to not change it

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Weedle posted:

apparently this was on purpose, because the vendor who set up our new storage over the weekend was like only losers and lames use underscores, hyphens are where it is at. and our infra guy was like that sounds good. let's give it a hyphen and configure all the new poo poo to point that way. it didn't occur to him until this morning that there was a perhaps even better reason to not change it

:laffo:

Common sense would have stopped that from happening, but common sense is rare.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Weedle posted:

So all linux sys-admins are losers and lames. Yep, that tracks

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

sys_admins

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

linux_sys-admin

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

imagine caring about naming things

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Fool posted:

linux_sys-admin

we use this convention at my job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jeoh posted:

imagine caring about naming things

i think everything should be named in the way that requires me personally to do the least amount of work