Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

They're all just terrible :lmao:

But seriously, there is one good change I can live with, and that's updating Emperor Palpatine's first appearance as a hologram in The Empire Strikes Back to match how he looked in Return of the Jedi. The original hologram looks like an allergic reaction to a bee sting.

Fun fact: The OG hologram Palpatine was played by Marjorie Eaton, a veteran actress and artist, who was in prosthetic makeup and had her voice dubbed over.

As for the worst changes, I really loving hate the special edition Return of the Jedi. Lapti Nek any day of the week over Jedi Rocks. Same with Yub Nub over that generic-rear end vaguely Incan pan flute song that replaces it and goes on to show the galaxy celebrating the rebel victory. The OG ending presents the viewer with a festive isolated celebration, which it was, but Lucas just had to make it more grandiose by showing the rest of the CGI galaxy celebrating the fall of the Empire. I also prefer Sebastian Shaw as Anakin over Hayden Christensen because that's who Luke finally sees face-to-face shortly before Vader dies, and that's who he should see as a Force ghost. Just stupid decisions all around that completely ruins Return of the Jedi.

But hey, do you like any changes Lucas made to the OG trilogy? Or do you think they're all fucky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiDRgDmXGi4

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
ngl, putting Jabba back into IV really helps make the entire Han/Jabba story arc make sense. I get why they had to cut it after Jabba was no longer just a fat neckbeard, but their relationship was kind of confusing without this scene.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Oh! Just remembered the oinking Sarlacc with the added CGI beak and tentacles :fart:

You and I are enemies now.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

There's stuff like making the original effects look less lovely which is cool. like taking out the crappy blur under lukes hovercraft and making the cockpit pillars not see-through which are good changes.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

they cant call it star peace cause it sounds just like star piss and the parents wont let the kids see it

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I wish he hadn't edited out the very obvious VPL that Luke has throughout the first movie.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
One of the worst edits was retconning the cantina scene so Han doesn't shoot first. Why is it so important to take that away from his character?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Serious_Cyclone posted:

One of the worst edits was retconning the cantina scene so Han doesn't shoot first. Why is it so important to take that away from his character?

Maclunky

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Serious_Cyclone posted:

What if he pulled the trigger twice but the first time his laser gun jammed, so the shot he fired after the juke killed Greedo twice as violently

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

You Are A Elf posted:

The OG ending presents the viewer with a festive isolated celebration, which it was, but Lucas just had to make it more grandiose by showing the rest of the CGI galaxy celebrating the fall of the Empire.

I like that before the message of Sheevs death would have even have time to spread widely the empire collapses so utterly that the public can have massive parties in complete safety from reprisal.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNcNpl3I_Wc&t=79s

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Jizz

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

didnt he add the biggs scene in the temple too

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I think the biggest and most disappointing change made was just after the original theatrical release when Lucas went through and cut out all of the scenes that made it clear that Luke and Leia were fully aware that they're siblings and that's what informed their attraction. He took what was a vibrant, bohemian, sexy, kinky couple and turned them into just another paint by the numbers brother and sister duo.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Digitally removing Chewbacca’s balls in the remasters was a real slap in the face to actor Peter Mayhew, who spent 4 hours in makeup everyday getting those balls applied.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
White washing Vader was more than just a blow against James Earl Jones' career it also made Luke's incredulity when Vader tells him he's his father a lot more confusing.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Needs more green chicks.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Serious_Cyclone posted:

ngl, putting Jabba back into IV really helps make the entire Han/Jabba story arc make sense. I get why they had to cut it after Jabba was no longer just a fat neckbeard, but their relationship was kind of confusing without this scene.

Eh, i think holding off on what Jabba actually is worked out better. You keep hearing about him till Jedi and then it's this huge loving slug and you're all 'gently caress me thats a huge loving slug OMG TITS'

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
If you want the original trilogy without the changes there’s always Harmys Despecialized Editions or the 4K77 project.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Luke keeps getting Bigger.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Philthy posted:

Eh, i think holding off on what Jabba actually is worked out better. You keep hearing about him till Jedi and then it's this huge loving slug and you're all 'gently caress me thats a huge loving slug OMG TITS'

They literally show him in A New Hope and he's just a fat guy. The original 1970s series retconned itself.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

Luke keeps getting Bigger.

Fun trivia: Leia's line when Luke rescues her from her cell, "Aren't you a little tall to be a stormtrooper?" originally used to be "Aren't you a little short to be a stormtrooper?" They had to change it because it no longer made sense with the changes to Luke's size.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

In the original story-line when Aunt Greta and Uncle Phil get roasted by the Empire, Luke grows ALMOST 3 sizes, but they had to edit that out for obvious reasons.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

hemale in pain posted:

There's stuff like making the original effects look less lovely which is cool. like taking out the crappy blur under lukes hovercraft and making the cockpit pillars not see-through which are good changes.

I’ve never heard that part about the cockpits. What did they change? Which movie?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

At the time I thought the changes made Star Wars worse, Empire was a wash and Jedi was (a little) better. I haven't watched the special editions since then.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
They need to change it so ObiWan sees into the future and tells Luke not to bother 'cause nothing he does is gonna mean poo poo.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

The worst change to me is easily the added "noooo" to Vader at the end of ROTJ, thats worse than the altered Han/Greedo poo poo imo.

Pretty cool how the original Star Wars trilogy hasn't legally existed for many years now.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Guys with names like 'obi wan', 'Darth Vader', 'Sidious', 'Emperor Palpatine'.

What's your name? "Luke".

Like in an entire universe populated by rando's with wild rear end names you get some dude named 'Chet', essentially?

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

also why doesn't money grubbing Disney release a remastered unaltered version of these movies? Is there something in the contract they signed with jorge? are they waiting for him to croak?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Big Beef City posted:

Guys with names like 'obi wan', 'Darth Vader', 'Sidious', 'Emperor Palpatine'.

What's your name? "Luke".

Like in an entire universe populated by rando's with wild rear end names you get some dude named 'Chet', essentially?

Luke is short for Lugma

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Devils Affricate posted:

They literally show him in A New Hope and he's just a fat guy. The original 1970s series retconned itself.

Lucas said he intended to matte over the guy and add a stop-motion Jabba, but he never got around to it and just deleted the scene. I call bullshit on that. If the fat dude was just a stand-in for something that would be added later, why dress him up in costume if not for him being who Jabba was originally? But I agree with this:

Philthy posted:

The 1997 CGI Jabba is just hilariously bad to look at, and the 2004 version is only a slight improvement. There’s also the problem with scale. Jabba is only as big as Solo in ANH and Solo walks over Jabba’s tail like nothing, but Leia has to climb on to Jabba’s huge tail and back to strangle him in RotJ. It’s a dumb scene that should have stayed on the cutting room floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glrdWqils8Y

Love that janky repositioning of Solo as he walks over Jabba’s tail :laugh:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gresh posted:

also why doesn't money grubbing Disney release a remastered unaltered version of these movies? Is there something in the contract they signed with jorge? are they waiting for him to croak?

That is almost assuredly in the pipe but only as a break glass measure once the Star Wars well starts to dry

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The 4K release finally fixed this hole in the matte painting floor Vader absolutely tripped over on his way off the ramp and force choked out someone over, and I won't forgive it for that

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
All Star Wars is ruined. Even the original Star Wars. It doesn't matter. Nothing matters. None of this matters.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Starring Chris Pratt as Yoda Jr.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Gresh posted:

The worst change to me is easily the added "noooo" to Vader at the end of ROTJ, thats worse than the altered Han/Greedo poo poo imo.

Pretty cool how the original Star Wars trilogy hasn't legally existed for many years now.

Haha, I forgot about that. Unforgivable.

And yeah, the OG trilogy was last released as bonus DVDs with the special editions in 2006. It’s actually why I made this thread because I just marathoned them over the weekend. Non-anamorphic laserdisc masters from 1993, but they are still the untouched originals and I legitimately own them. It’s also the first time I owned the widescreen versions because I only ever owned the pan-and-scan VHS tapes as a kid.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

You Are A Elf posted:

Lucas said he intended to matte over the guy and add a stop-motion Jabba, but he never got around to it and just deleted the scene. I call bullshit on that. If the fat dude was just a stand-in for something that would be added later, why dress him up in costume if not for him being who Jabba was originally?

It was the 70s, he may have been on to way out to go clubbing.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

You Are A Elf posted:

They're all just terrible :lmao:

But seriously, there is one good change I can live with, and that's updating Emperor Palpatine's first appearance as a hologram in The Empire Strikes Back to match how he looked in Return of the Jedi. The original hologram looks like an allergic reaction to a bee sting.

Naah, the updated Emperor looks like a fatass from that angle, the allergic reaction OG Emperor is way creepier IMO.

Also I think people tend to misinterpret the image a bit. That's not supposed to be his ENTIRE eye socket bulging out, the idea is it's his usual sunken-in eyes that are being covered in more shadows than normal. The Emperor's look is actually more consistent between the movies than they're usually usually given credit for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
BTW here's the chimp who played the original Emperor's eyes