Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jeoh posted:

imagine caring about naming things

I care a lot about the way things are named, because in a large environment having a consistent naming convention can make a lot of things easier to manage

especially in azure, where resource names are part of the id

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Jeoh posted:

imagine caring about naming things

First.last you gently caress

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ASAPRockySituation posted:

f.l.a.s,t

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

ASAPRockySituation posted:

First_Last-EmpID@IncrediblyLongDomainNameINCLTD.vanitytld

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Global help desk has started closing tickets if someone doesn’t respond to a teams message sent in the middle of the night (locally) within an hour or so. :black101:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

The Fool posted:

especially in azure, where resource names are part of the id

This shits me to tears. The ID should be just a GUID divorced from the resource name completely! I should be able to rename resources, gently caress you Billy G

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

tactlessbastard posted:

Global help desk has started closing tickets if someone doesn’t respond to a teams message sent in the middle of the night (locally) within an hour or so. :black101:

lol

they discovered the one real trick!!!!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

tactlessbastard posted:

Gotta get those metrics up somehow.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

tactlessbastard posted:

This rules

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
My mother in law told me last night about how she heard on the news that there are thousands and thousands of tech jobs in this state that aren't being filled and wondered why.

I just submitted my 175th job application over the last 3 months.

I have gotten one response in all of those and they ghosted me after offering me an interview.

:unsmith:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tell her they pay poo poo so they can outsource the job.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A Frosty Witch posted:

My mother in law told me last night about how she heard on the news that there are thousands and thousands of tech jobs in this state that aren't being filled and wondered why.

I just submitted my 175th job application over the last 3 months.

I have gotten one response in all of those and they ghosted me after offering me an interview.

:unsmith:

Have you tried A/B testing your resumes? Send out 20 of one, then revise it and send out 20 of another. Keep the one that performs better, and make a new revision.

I have a bigass spreadsheet I'm using to track my application process. It took six revisions of my resume, but I'm finally getting regular interview requests (about a 15% interview rate).

Now actually passing the interview process is harder. Haven't got an offer letter yet, although there's one that I feel was super into me but gave me shady vibes, so I withdrew.

If you want I can PM you some of my info and process.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

ConfusedUs posted:

Have you tried A/B testing your resumes? Send out 20 of one, then revise it and send out 20 of another. Keep the one that performs better, and make a new revision.

I have a bigass spreadsheet I'm using to track my application process. It took six revisions of my resume, but I'm finally getting regular interview requests (about a 15% interview rate).

Now actually passing the interview process is harder. Haven't got an offer letter yet, although there's one that I feel was super into me but gave me shady vibes, so I withdrew.

If you want I can PM you some of my info and process.

Honestly at the beginning I tested sending in my actual resumes and then the exact same resume to the same jobs using my deadname and the deadname applications actually got a fair amount of responses.

So I've pretty much nailed down the reason and it's not the resume lol.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A Frosty Witch posted:

Honestly at the beginning I tested sending in my actual resumes and then the exact same resume to the same jobs using my deadname and the deadname applications actually got a fair amount of responses.

So I've pretty much nailed down the reason and it's not the resume lol.

That fuckin' sucks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ConfusedUs posted:

That fuckin' sucks.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

That fuckin' sucks.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ConfusedUs posted:

That fuckin' sucks.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ConfusedUs posted:

That fuckin' sucks.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

ConfusedUs posted:

That fuckin' sucks.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

ConfusedUs posted:

That fuckin' sucks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ConfusedUs posted:

That fuckin' sucks.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

That fuckin' sucks.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

That fuckin' sucks.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

ConfusedUs posted:

That fuckin' sucks.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

That fuckin' sucks.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

That fuckin' sucks.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ConfusedUs posted:

That fuckin' sucks.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

ConfusedUs posted:

That fuckin' sucks.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ConfusedUs posted:

That fuckin' sucks.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm going to break the chain here for a moment to remind everyone that it's up to us to do everything we can to change this sort of stuff. No one has a magic wand, but if we don't change it, it's not going to change.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Can you show up to the interview with the different name and when they call you by the different name, correct them and say actually it's _____

Like, you're already sitting down in the interview... Worst case they say no but now you've put them in their place and made it awkward

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

On the bright side, this should completely allay any concerns you have about being a woman in tech :v:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Can you show up to the interview with the different name and when they call you by the different name, correct them and say actually it's _____

Like, you're already sitting down in the interview... Worst case they say no but now you've put them in their place and made it awkward

Doing it this way would immediately out them to people who may not react kindly

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Fool posted:

Doing it this way would immediately out them to people who may not react kindly

Fair enough.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The people who don't want to hire women would still not hire women once they see the applicant is a woman and/or trans :(

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

The people who don't want to hire women would still not hire women once they see the applicant is a woman and/or trans :(

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Also, if you're a trans woman and you manage to trick a transphobic/misogynistic workplace into hiring you, your prize is being employed at a transphobic/misogynistic workplace

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Potato Salad posted:

rujasu posted:

Also, if you're a trans woman and you manage to trick a transphobic/misogynistic workplace into hiring you, your prize is being employed at a transphobic/misogynistic workplace

:qft:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:d2a:

my new direct team is six people, all male. department is a bit better, but the logs definitely do need a courtesy flush

I do miss the diversity of perspective that came with prior teams I've been on that weren't all male, all Christian, mostly white. It really does make a difference, now seeing how an all guys team conducts itself differently when there are and are not women around

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Work just today rolled out mandatory inclusive hiring training for all staff. I've had the unconscious bias training already since I help interview for our team, but this is everybody.