Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

abelwingnut posted:

if i’m looking for a tv for gaming only, why wouldn’t i go pick up some old, free crt?

also, is this only true for older gaming systems? would modern systems look better as well? can modern systems even connect to older tv?

1.) They're heavy as all gently caress for their size. It's a giant half inch thick glass lightbulb with integrated speakers, which may or may not still work decently, and have no modern technology to prevent distortion at volume. And the brightness is poo poo.
1a.) No HDMI port, and may or may not have Component/S-video.
1b.) Only a select few models support 480p, much less 720p/1080i

2.) Older systems are optimised for CRT. Textures in Dreamcast/n64/PlayStation 3d games can look better with the natural softening of crt.

3.) Depends on the game. I actually like using the crt filter for snes games on my Switch. I don't have that same problem with more modern indie pixel titles though, fwiw. Linus Tech Tips has a video on it I'll link below.

4.) Mostly no, you need an adapter. The Xbox 360 did have an optional vga cable, which i used back in the day. Kicked rear end.

Linus Tech Tips plays modern games on a crt and compares with an oled:
https://youtu.be/C_-9Rw5CJNE

Digital Foundry wankery on CRT:
https://youtu.be/3PdMtwQQUmo

https://youtu.be/tvRyVZWuvQ4

https://youtu.be/V8BVTHxc4LM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If you want to drive to Nebraska you can have the old 32" Sony Wega sitting in my garage. I won't help load it though :colbert:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Games of the Pre-HD era definitely employ tricks that rely on the quirks on CRTs to look better. I don't have it on hand, but there was a Twitter thread somcapring the FFVI sprites on CRT to sprites on HD and there was a difference. Mostly with things like a single pixel of red in eyes being blurred out to be more of a glow. I noticed that the SNES Classic FFVI has these weird additions to the font that are greyish and fade in slightly before the main body of the letters. On the HD screen it looks kinda weird, but on the CRT it helps define the letters.

Plus there's the usual point of "Sonic waterfall transparency" that used the interlacing to great effect.

I have a CRT I kept for gaming and I found the coil while gave me a headache. :(

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

If you want to drive to Nebraska you can have the old 32" Sony Wega sitting in my garage. I won't help load it though :colbert:

- source: bhphoto

:shepicide:

Does not include mdf cabinet stand, sold separately.

Before lcd, televisions were furniture, not appliances.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure my dad still has the old 32" Wega in the bedroom (top floor of the house). I suspect it is considered structural at this point and will never move.

What a great screen to play N64 on.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
The only CRT thing I have not seen mentioned is that some rhythm games, like Vib-Ribbon, were designed for the response time of CRTs and do not play correctly on modern TVs. There are external boxes like the Framemeister and Open Source Scan Converter (OSSC) that try to make old games look better on modern TVs.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

We are finally moved into the new house for which I bought an LG C1 back in August on the advice of this thread. It looks great but I’m going insane trying to get the LG remote to control my Vizio sound bar. The sound bar is maybe 5 years old, so I’m using an optical cable as it lacks HDMI ARC.

When I go through the universal remote setup on the tv and get to the screen where it’s supposed to start programming, I just get a vague pop up that says “A temporary issue has occurred. Please try again later.”

The sound bar itself has a programming mode, but it doesn’t respond to the LG remote either.

I am tempted to buy some generic universal remote to get everything on one but this behavior doesn’t have me optimistic that would work either.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Man I was so cool back in 2002 or something when I got a 19" TV with S Video for my bedroom, and used it as a second monitor for emulators and junk. Of course, by "cool" I mean "unapologetically goony"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have a 32" Wega sitting in my basement as well. I should really find a local retro game enthusiast to take it off my hands.

But yeah, these are really only for games that were designed to run on CRTs. They fix input lag since you don't have to convert BACK to digital (retro consoles are doing digital to analog already, so converting back to digital on a modern display introduces lag.)

Also, as mentioned, the games used tricks that exploited the quirks of CRTs to enhance visuals.

None of that is a factor with a modern game and you would lose stuff like higher resolution, size, and HDR compared to playing the game on a modern TV.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I always had plans to create a retro arcade cabinet with my Wega, but I barely have time to keep up with new stuff I want to play so it's never going to happen.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

aricoarena posted:

I upgraded from a 2008 plasma to a modern smart tv. I have been using Universal Media Player on my PC with my PlayStation 3 to watch stuff from the computer on the TV. Is there an App for smart tv's that functions similarly? Plex and Kodi seem like they will do what I want but with way more work and set up. Right now I can just start Universal Media Server program on the PC then launch in on the PS3 and browse folders and play files from the PC through the PS3.

Is your Smart TV running Android or Google TV? If so, you can just download VLC and use that to stream. On my Nvidia Shield TV Pro, which runs Google TV, I also use UMS and if you open up VLC and select Local Streaming, it detects the UMS server and works just like your PS3 did basically.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bawfuls posted:

We are finally moved into the new house for which I bought an LG C1 back in August on the advice of this thread. It looks great but I’m going insane trying to get the LG remote to control my Vizio sound bar. The sound bar is maybe 5 years old, so I’m using an optical cable as it lacks HDMI ARC.
Ditch the old bar and get a new one with ARC.

But yeah, the easier method is going with a $20 Amazon universal remote

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Ditch the old bar and get a new one with ARC.

But yeah, the easier method is going with a $20 Amazon universal remote
I thought about getting a new bar with ARC too but it seems like such a waste when the current bar otherwise still works well. And the one I've got is 5.1 so it's less cheap to replace. Guess I'll roll the dice on Amazon.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

bawfuls posted:

I thought about getting a new bar with ARC too but it seems like such a waste when the current bar otherwise still works well. And the one I've got is 5.1 so it's less cheap to replace. Guess I'll roll the dice on Amazon.

The jump to ARC is worth it, imho.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

What is the benefit of ARC if I don't have a bunch of diferent devices feeding into the tv?

All I've got is TV, Roku, and the soundbar. I stream Plex through the Roku, don't own any game consoles, don't have any physical media players, don't have a cable box.

Is the main ARC benefit that the TV can control all the soundbar settings?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

These are some of the best examples of CRT vs HD:

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

qbert posted:

Is your Smart TV running Android or Google TV? If so, you can just download VLC and use that to stream. On my Nvidia Shield TV Pro, which runs Google TV, I also use UMS and if you open up VLC and select Local Streaming, it detects the UMS server and works just like your PS3 did basically.

I should have said its a Sony running Google TV. I'll give that shot, thanks! I installed Kodi but have not fiddled around with it too much. One of the guides was saying to set up a new user account on the PC, and the file naming/origination needs to be "correct" similar to PLEX, and gently caress all that. It looks they can do a lot of stuff if you really get into them but for what I want everything seems way more complicated than UMS was.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

aricoarena posted:

I should have said its a Sony running Google TV. I'll give that shot, thanks! I installed Kodi but have not fiddled around with it too much. One of the guides was saying to set up a new user account on the PC, and the file naming/origination needs to be "correct" similar to PLEX, and gently caress all that. It looks they can do a lot of stuff if you really get into them but for what I want everything seems way more complicated than UMS was.

Yeah I use a version of Universal Media Server from years ago that I've just never updated because it works perfectly for my needs. In the VLC app, there's an option called Local Network, and when I click on it it detects UMS without issue. Not sure if I had to make any configuration changes to get it to work, but it's worth trying if you just want an easy solution without the hassle of setting up something like Plex.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

qbert posted:

Yeah I use a version of Universal Media Server from years ago that I've just never updated because it works perfectly for my needs. In the VLC app, there's an option called Local Network, and when I click on it it detects UMS without issue. Not sure if I had to make any configuration changes to get it to work, but it's worth trying if you just want an easy solution without the hassle of setting up something like Plex.

Thanks again. I got it running and it's very similar to how it was on the PS3, maybe a little slower which seems odd given how much faster Netflix, Hulu and Prime are running on the TV rather than the PS3. I still have the problem of subtitles playing when I don't want them. But still, way simpler than other apps I looking at and I have not poked around in the settings yet.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

aricoarena posted:

Thanks again. I got it running and it's very similar to how it was on the PS3, maybe a little slower which seems odd given how much faster Netflix, Hulu and Prime are running on the TV rather than the PS3. I still have the problem of subtitles playing when I don't want them. But still, way simpler than other apps I looking at and I have not poked around in the settings yet.

Are the subtitles in the container of the file you're playing? If so, just pause the video you're watching, select the icon on the left, and it should show audio/subtitle options.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

qbert posted:

Are the subtitles in the container of the file you're playing? If so, just pause the video you're watching, select the icon on the left, and it should show audio/subtitle options.

Ill try that, before I would just delete the subs from the folder.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

aricoarena posted:

Ill try that, before I would just delete the subs from the folder.

You might be transcoding everything through UMS which could also explain why files seems slow to load. I think VLC can handle most formats so I have .mkv and .mp4 disabled for transcoding in UMS.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

George H.W. oval office posted:

Any regular mount will work you just need masonry screws\anchors

Installing the mount tonight but is it just me or are people basically split between drilling into mortar or brick, with both sides saying you should never do the opposite?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Hi! I thought I'd followed the thread long enough to never have to ask for advice on TV buying for me or anyone I knew but here I am! I have the 65" KS8000 that was somehow cracked during wall mounting, and seems like the good times are coming to replace it. Usage scenario is the dreaded over fireplace position, small to medium sized kitchen+living room area, moderate to semi bright light, and for now mostly used for throwing kid stuff on, background noise kind of viewing, and some sports - I like serious watching movies with an awesome setup but just don't know if that'll happen anytime soon. OLED is out even though it'd be a groovin upgrade from the KS8000 cause who knows when we'll be able to really enjoy it, and bottom budget is out cause want something at least in the ballpark of the KS8000, probably get more serious usage in another year or two. Oh and have a Shield TV already so don't think I care about that software part, gaming is an eh maybe one day. So just look for like the new TCL 65" 6 series for ~$799 or maybe the Hisense equivalent right bang done.

But this viewing angle thing on Rtings is what has me unsure. Being able to see from more angles would be pretty nice with the whole looking over at the TV from the couch, or dinner table, or while cooking, that'd be awesome. But the "good viewing angle" TV on there is a Samsung Q95b or something which, Samsung ughh but OK, but boom it's at least as expensive as OLED and I really don't care that much. In that ~$700-$950 budget range, are there any options that would be better about viewing angles (maybe with other trade offs), or is it just going to be pick the "best" standard Hisense/TCL rec cause it'll be the best at everything, and to get pickier like that I would have to step up to higher budget?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

teh_Broseph posted:

But this viewing angle thing on Rtings is what has me unsure.

The "narrow viewing angles" for VA lcd panels is overblown. Compared to oled or plasma? Sure, they're utterly terrible, but they're measuring it using testing equipment that can notice single nit changes in brightness. The human eye is far more lenient before the image changes enough that you say to yourself, "i wish i was closer to the center."

Speaking as a hisense qled owner, anyway.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 7, 2022

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I have an LG tv (UP7670, but seems like their model numbers are retailer-specific) that we use it as a dumb display for an Apple TV, and we regularly have issues where background noises and music are drowning out dialogue. It's not a "loud scenes too loud, quiet scenes too quiet" issue, but rather the mix itself seems wrong. The same media from the same streaming apps or Plex library sounds fine on my laptop and phone, but the TV seems to mangle it to the point where I'll often hear background sound effects like footsteps, road noise, or birds chirping coming through clearer than the dialogue itself.

I've tried the different sound profiles on the TV, and different audio modes from the Apple TV. Nothing seems to make much of a difference. Is this something that can be easily fixed by buying a soundbar?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I saw this on my Twitter timeline today and it seemed relevant to the earlier discussion about CRT's and retro games.

https://twitter.com/therealsaibot/status/1579160310560149504?t=HLNoorFt-zD2Dw-QDk-MZw&s=19

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’m sorry but the ugliest fighting game of its era has never looked “glorious.”

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

qirex posted:

I’m sorry but the ugliest fighting game of its era has never looked “glorious.”

Yeah, Rise of the Robots should've been buried UNDER the copies of ET.

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
Is now a good time to buy an LG C2? Most of what I’ve read says to save the $500 and get a C1, but right now it’s only a $50 difference. I was planning on waiting until next month to get a TV but the price seems too good to ignore.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
black friday is usually when lg tv's are at their lowest fwiw in my experience, but i don't know price trackers across na stores

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Might as well get the C2 once it starts dropping below $1700 for the 65”, which shouldn’t be long now.

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
Rad, thanks for the info. The 55” is still a little big for my small apartment, and it’s already down to $1,350. I’m in no rush though so I might as well wait and see if it drops further.

It’s replacing a curved 1080p LG OLED which works fine but has limited mounting options. I only got the curved because it was $1k cheaper than the flat equivalent in 2015, but now I want a standard VESA mount so I can use a commodity stand and don’t have to worry about drilling into the concrete behind it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

77" Sony A80J OLED $2000 shipped

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Honestly shocked at this deal, instantly bought it after having been mulling over the c2 and a80k for close to $3k shipped. Stoked since the a80j is regarded as a half step up from the 80k

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Honestly shocked at this deal, instantly bought it after having been mulling over the c2 and a80k for close to $3k shipped. Stoked since the a80j is regarded as a half step up from the 80k

That's a very, very good price. I bought mine at $2600 + tax.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
So after a 13 year stint without a TV, I've decided I want one again. A lot has changed in the interim, and the marketing jargon is pretty beyond me. So, here are the three potentials I'm at right now:

https://www.amazon.com/Hisense-65-Inch-Quantum-Hand-Free-65H9G/dp/B087FDSRV9?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

It's a model from a couple years ago I guess, but still seems like a good TV/higher end Hisense offering. Seems like it's got a full back light array, rather than edge lit, but I don't know if that really matters.

https://www.amazon.com/Hisense-Premium-65-inch-Quantum-65U7H/dp/B0B7CRNW2Z?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Newer model, less premium I guess, I don't understand these things very well.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-65-Inch-Refresh-AI-Powered-65QNED80UQA/dp/B09RNDCH8X?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

I can swing the extra hundred bucks if this TV will be a noticeable improvement. LG seems like they make a better lasting product, but who knows?

I narrowed it down to these badboys hoping I wouldn't have to deal with the generally overwhelming number of choices out there, but I guess if it's no more than 900 bucks and would be a better bet in the 65 inch range, let me know what I'm missing?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Are you only planning to watch TV, or are you planning to play games on it too?

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Are you only planning to watch TV, or are you planning to play games on it too?

Play games on it as well (from a PC if that effects things?), which upon further research knocked that first Hisense off the list because apparently they don't actually do 120hz, it was just marketing jargon.

Trying to find and compare models on rtings is a bit cumbersome, can't find anything specific to that LG for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Did they ever fix the C2 having extra lag when in 4:3 via updates? I would have grabbed a C1 but the smallest one (48 inch) would be too big for my bedroom. 42 would be more like it.

I was thinking of grabbing a CRT but decided an analogue pocket should fill that niche nicely once the console cores get a nice CRT filter. I think I’d rather play on that than hunched over a 13 inch pvm anyways.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 12, 2022