Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I just had my own berenstain bears moment

I’ve been rewatching True Detective season one. Saw it the first time probably five or six years ago. I had what I thought was a very clear memory of the final scene of episode four. I was correct at least that this was probably the best episode of the show. But I remembered a big climactic shootout at the biker bar (v. funny that they were playing Melvins “A History of Bad Men” in that scene btw), and then the camera panning out and above to show total chaos in the parking lot, surrounding area etc. But all of that action was in a housing project instead. The biker bar was just to set it up. I had no memory at all of a housing project in this episode, I thought it all went down in that same biker bar.

Well that’s my butterfly effect story and it’s not as amazing as I initially thought lol

tl;dr I’ve been drinking alone on a Friday night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
In my universe they are called the Bloodstain Bears.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Is that the "90 seconds, motherfucker!" episode?

Cause I don't remember a biker bar fight. Just a fight with bikers.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
there was an expectation that rust would have to bail out his dum dum head partner during the biker bar but instead a doorman did his job

sounds like you were high

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
It's actually called the Mandela effect.
The spirit of Nelson Mandela comes into your brain while you sleep at night to mess with your memories.

Grumblepuff
Dec 29, 2018

You think you taught me a lesson, babe
Betcha think you "got through to me"
No one gets through here anymore
Right

mudskipp posted:

It's actually called the Mandela effect.
The spirit of Nelson Mandela comes into your brain while you sleep at night to mess with your memories.

drat, I thought that was the Mancala effect. I must be losing my marbles...

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

my fave is when people have deja-vu and they're incredibly insistent that it isn't a trick of the brain and they've actually predicted what was about to happen with their magic powers.

instead of accepting that it's just your brain having a little error while recording memories.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

my fave is when people have deja-vu and they're incredibly insistent that it isn't a trick of the brain and they've actually predicted what was about to happen with their magic powers.

instead of accepting that it's just your brain having a little error while recording memories.

Same except mine are actually magic powers unlike everyone else's :smuggo:

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
Could *I* be WRONG?? No, I must have been invisibly teleported into another universe.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
No false memories, only false realities.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

this happened to me, too. I rewatched true detective and was blown away, because in my memory, every character was played by woody harrelson. But apparently not?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

memories are truth, by definition, you’d know this if you studied law

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Zybourne Clock posted:

In my universe they are called the Bloodstain Bears.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

My fave was the time a guy had a large following based on his belief he used to live in another dimension where Nelson Mandela died in prison. He was UTTERLY convinced he could recall a text book at school that had details and pictures on Mandelas funeral.

Some random posted a pic of the actual book which was an “alternate histories” story book that the OP was misremembering.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Buce posted:

this happened to me, too. I rewatched true detective and was blown away, because in my memory, every character was played by woody harrelson. But apparently not?

Woody harrelson cheating on Woody harrelson with Woody harrelson

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Those aren't technically false memories - those are memory errors, misremembering.

I have actual false memories from when I was hospitalized with multiple skull fractures. Really intense, vivid, real-seeming memories of poo poo that emphatically didn't happen. There wasn't a golf course outside the critical ward I was on. There wasn't a movie theater on the floor below mine. The straitjacket they put me in wasn't actually covered with silver sequins. Those are false memories. (The straitjacket was real, just not the sequins.)

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
The mandela effect is caused by the large hadron collider. Every time they collide stuff inside of it, our universe is destroyed and replaced by one that's shittier and everyone's consciousness carries over, causing people to remember the previous universe.

CozyFella
Feb 1, 2022

I don't have anything of value to add to this conversation.
But I don't care.

I think I read something about this a while ago. When people experience deja-vu what they are perceiving is accidentally stored in long term memory instead of short term memory. It's pretty interesting.
Also, I poo poo my pants regularly.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I swore the shark won in Jaws but after a re-watch, huh, whodathunk.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

It wins in jaws 3 the revenge

K3nT3n
Oct 8, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
https://i.imgur.com/R544bxs.mp4

Like this?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

K3nT3n posted:

Like this?

Oh hey, it's the guy who thinks he's the reincarnation of a hindu god who was reincarnated to serve Jesus.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Op has given me a false memory of reading a good thread :boom:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I've seen things I can't explain, but I also have brain damage. Take it for what you will.

:(

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Buce posted:

the first time it aired all the actors were woody harrelson but they changed it for streaming cuz they couldn't get the rights

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
The logical part of my brain knows I probably was just having a very vivid dream that just stuck with me for no real reason.

The rest of me, with full and true conviction, knows I got up in the middle of the night when I was six and saw the Easter Bunny in the yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

The logical part of my brain knows I probably was just having a very vivid dream that just stuck with me for no real reason.

The rest of me, with full and true conviction, knows I got up in the middle of the night when I was six and saw the Easter Bunny in the yard.

Now that sounds like a false memory.