Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Laptops without backlit keyboards, but with top down lighting

i had a thinkpad that had this and it was dope hacker mode i loved it

backlit keyboard gives 0 help when you're trying to break up some weed in the dark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sleep with one eye open
Gripping your keyboard thought

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i am very triggered by that screen grime.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

backlit keyboard gives 0 help when you're trying to break up some weed in the dark

Honestly I sort of wish that feature would come back. It gives a cool ambiance compared to a backlit keyboard.

Make it RGB so the user can pick their color

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

It just got recycled, so the PO is to blame

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yeah i really prefer the thinkpad style illuminated keyboard to the backlit ones.

Tim, take notes

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FMguru posted:

they pioneered that with their printers - establish a reputation in the 1980s and early 1990s as making reliable and nigh-indestructible laserjets for offices, then trade on that reputation to sell junk-grade inkjets to consumers
remembering today when hp bought voodoopc to make $50 "envy" inkjet printers

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Volmarias posted:

I love how every "look at all of the businesses this computer can do for you" ad up until semi-recently was "here's a chart that optionally has a table under/beside it, this is what you use these things for right?"

I get that it's meant to show off color and detail and all but jeez, c'mon.

yeah and the early 90s had to show the graph in TWO APPLICATIONS AT ONCE because it's pubsub or OLE or whatever

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
sometimes i wish i'd gotten the ergodox model with underbody lighting instead but w/e it's cute and good enough even if i often have a small light on my desk turned on anyway

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lol those always reminded me of the little noodle lights you could plug into the game boy link port

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, thinklight was the poo poo

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

gnome?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

carry on then posted:

yeah and the early 90s had to show the graph in TWO APPLICATIONS AT ONCE because it's pubsub or OLE or whatever

ole was actually pretty cool imo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

that's just the default for unbuntu grimy galaxy

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Beeftweeter posted:

lol those always reminded me of the little noodle lights you could plug into the game boy link port

nudgenudgetilt posted:

yeah, thinklight was the poo poo

Playing my CLEAR PURPLE game boy color under the bedsheets after bedtime so I could catch night time Pokemon and evolve an Umbreon in Pokemon silver :cool:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Kitfox88 posted:

Playing my CLEAR PURPLE game boy color under the bedsheets after bedtime so I could catch night time Pokemon and evolve an Umbreon in Pokemon silver :cool:

*atomic purple

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

the gamelight thing i had took as many batteries as the gameboy itself and only worked for a couple of hours

i modded the gba with a backlight kit as soon as i could

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i blame my absolutely atrocious vision on playing castlevania circle of the moon on a first gen gba multiple times through

also i went for the game gear over the game boy because i was a sega kid and let me tell you: lol

a friend at school had the tv tuner for it tho

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

my game boy

my cousin's game boy

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
quicktime mov

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Explaining this stuff to my kids just makes me feel even older.

One of the educational sites they use for school has little animations of a girl and her robot, the robot "speaks" by playing the tone that was used to auto advance slide players. I tried to explain that to them but just fell apart into :corsair:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

i would kinda be shocked if american primary schools weren't still using this

do they test with computers now or something?

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

i figure my car is probably the last i can get with physical inputs for everything with carplay as well and i'm going to drive it until it rusts to pieces

in 2019 i went looking for a new car that didn't have any LCD screens or useless tech bullshit, because I know myself well enough to know that poo poo would drive me crazy. It was drat near impossible then, and probably is outright by now.

anyway, Nissan didn't make any updates to the 370z from about 2009 to 2022, and that is the car's single greatest feature. There was an option with a really dated nav system, but they didn't bother putting it in most models, and you could get pretty much any trim level you wanted with or without the thing. I got mine without. It's got a simple monochome display on the head unit, and a small one to the left of the dash. Analog needles on all the gauges. In 2016 backup cameras became mandatory in the US, so they put the screen inside the rearview mirror without touching the dash.

Really glad I grabbed one when I did, probably my last gas car, but since I don't commute any more, I have a reasonable expectation that it will last me a long, long time

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Corla Plankun posted:

i would kinda be shocked if american primary schools weren't still using this

do they test with computers now or something?

I can't speak for everywhere, but a lot of districts have moved to using laptops for school things, including doing standardized testing via computers. There are state grants for poorer districts to outfit everyone with one.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

burning swine posted:

in 2019 i went looking for a new car that didn't have any LCD screens or useless tech bullshit, because I know myself well enough to know that poo poo would drive me crazy. It was drat near impossible then, and probably is outright by now.

backup cameras are now mandatory in north america and europe, so you will never buy a new car without a screen*

*unless you live in russia, as lada is making cars for the domestic market with no modern amenities now due to the sanctions, but that also means no airbags, air conditioning, antilock brakes, radios or other features that have been standard for decades

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 5, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The_Franz posted:

backup cameras are now mandatory in north america and europe, so you will never buy a new car without a screen*

*unless you live in russia, as lada is making cars for the domestic market with no modern amenities now due to the sanctions, but that also means no airbags, air conditioning, antilock brakes, radios or other features that have been standard for decades

Back to soviet designs then? Putin really is bringing the USSR back to life.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i added in extra cameras to my car, gently caress it

people are driving loving wild lately i figure a dash cam costs way less than a insurance fraud

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i added a dash cam after what looked like a boomer grandpa blew a red in his chunky truck in a apparently drunk daze

since then everything has been okay and i'm glad it's mostly decorative, though i did catch footage of a meteorite one time

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 6, 2022

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Blackvue for your safe driving

Normal recording on

Cloud connected

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

The_Franz posted:

My car's kind of old at this point, model year 2012, but the backup camera screen is integrated into the rear view mirror such that it is invisible except when the car is reversing, which seems like an ok tradeoff.

RoastBeef fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 6, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

RoastBeef posted:

My car's kind of old at this point, model year 2012
lol wtf

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

11 years,
time flies

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

RoastBeef posted:

My car's kind of old at this point, model year 2012, but it the backup camera screen is integrated into the rear view mirror such that it is invisible except when the car is reversing, which seems like an ok tradeoff.

my newest car is 10 years older than this

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

im like 90% sure i have TIRES older than that car

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Sniep posted:

Blackvue for your safe driving

Normal recording on

BlackVue for your safe driving

….

Starting normal recording

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

:corsair:

I still haven't fully internalized that a car from the 90s today is like a car from the 70s in 2000

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Nitr0 posted:

BlackVue for your safe driving

….

Starting normal recording

is that what it is

there's also the cloud line for me tho

which never seems to do a drat thing despite my car having its own wifi that's on all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

im like 90% sure i have TIRES older than that car

you should get new tires. after about 6 years they're dried out and by 10 they're toast