Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

zedprime posted:

Precariously balanced out by the idea that these places or processes are refined and improved by a lone central planner behind the screen. There's weirdly few games about or including market economies, even counting some of the stock simplest supply and demand curves.

Landlords Super maybe leans a bit into Thatcheristic fairy tale where you go from unemployed loser to real estate magnate by beer fueled construction work but it's otherwise so critical about why you and others are unemployed to begin with that it shouldn't stop you.

I worked really hard to make a house that is mostly beer-piss-concrete by volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The SA Forums > Video Games > Management Megathread: I worked really hard to make a house that is mostly beer-piss-concrete by volume.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I want more management/city builder games where you aren't a dictator-god.
Stuff like Majesty maybe.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I want more management/city builder games where you aren't a dictator-god.
Stuff like Majesty maybe.

Weirdly this is one of the meta-reasons I enjoy W&R so much. Your single dictator-god perspective is fairly believable as a central planning committee, so decisions that seem "gamey" make some kind of sense because hey, there's one entity doing all the planning. This always bugs me in Cities: Skylines but I've heard that discussion play out a lot regarding "How would you include politics/etc" in something like Skylines and even at a theorycraft level it always sounds dire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's that... weird libertarian city builder that was released a while ago? I can't remember what it's called but I think it was poo poo.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

There's that... weird libertarian city builder that was released a while ago? I can't remember what it's called but I think it was poo poo.

Oh yeah lol. I was speaking more just independent of the game taking an opinion, which I mean, how is that even possible.

But yeah almost inevitably it comes with some assumptions about behaviors that sort of inevitably make it weird. I was more thinking “politics” in the case of like, it’s interesting to me to want want to demolish this street and rezone it, but there’s resistance to that, or it’s more expensive, etc. That sort of plays off of the idea of like “Look, you’re the planner and that’s great but you aren’t a god.”

Again, though, I don’t think there’s a fun way to really delve into that and still have relative creative freedom in a city builder.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's maybe a reason the only game approaching civics simulator is the Democracy series where your polity is a disembodied neural network of feedback mechanisms.

Citystate/Citystate 2 is the game referred to which on surface level looks like just a vaguely sufficient SimCity clone with extra policies. But no one in the thread has been brave enough to bite because deeper analysis reveals some South Park libertarian leaning in the policy text among gameplay consequences like full communism is placing every building in a game the scale of SimCity 3000.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

OwlFancier posted:

I have a hundred million roubles in workers and resources and I would like to buy everyone in the republic a gold toilet or something.

Build more schools and libraries.

Or warehouses and pretend that they’re all VR game halls.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

zedprime posted:

There's maybe a reason the only game approaching civics simulator is the Democracy series where your polity is a disembodied neural network of feedback mechanisms.

Citystate/Citystate 2 is the game referred to which on surface level looks like just a vaguely sufficient SimCity clone with extra policies. But no one in the thread has been brave enough to bite because deeper analysis reveals some South Park libertarian leaning in the policy text among gameplay consequences like full communism is placing every building in a game the scale of SimCity 3000.
I played it a bit. This thread went way overboard on the gnashing of teeth, the only eye roll thing I remember is there’s a thing where you can assign people to government jobs which do nothing, but they reduce unemployment. Unless people want to get upset at things like “to entice businesses to move in, lower business taxes”. Which, duh.

But the actual problem I found is that it’s not a city builder at all. The city is basically only there for eye candy. The game is just a puzzle of balancing policy sliders to avoid disaster.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

zedprime posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYvxBx4D9Jo

Though honestly at this point even this has become less unbelievable

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

Precariously balanced out by the idea that these places or processes are refined and improved by a lone central planner behind the screen. There's weirdly few games about or including market economies, even counting some of the stock simplest supply and demand curves.

its very nice to see people in comment sections arguing about zoning and car parking and so on but the disappointing part is that so, so very much of low grade online urbanism that people dicker over clearly blames the state of things on some disembodied bad actor who planned everything badly, for corporate profits

sim city really is the root of how a lot of people conceptualize urban planning. nobody's in charge, turns out

Anime Store Adventure posted:

This always bugs me in Cities: Skylines but I've heard that discussion play out a lot regarding "How would you include politics/etc" in something like Skylines and even at a theorycraft level it always sounds dire.

yeah you can't really make a 'realistic' city builder because in reality, in the united states, urban planning is boring as gently caress and getting anything done in a city involves persuading tremendous numbers of stakeholders to agree with you and then losing power because you made another tremendous number of stakeholders mad by changing too many things

W&R owns because you can think things like "i AM the central planning committee. gently caress property rights, we're building it here" and thats completely congruent within the game world

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 5, 2022

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I find the Democracy games so disappointing. Even with the extra election DLC in 4 there's zero actual opposition to any policies you put forward. The other party or parties don't have actual positions or supporters, they just soak up a percentage of the vote every election.

There's no division of government, you just decide whatever you want within the constraints of your energy meter, and the only thing keeping you from picking all the good policies and cruising to utopian overabundance and infinite election wins is a mechanic that turns voters against you after a certain amount of time unless you keep juggling priorities and interest groups. It honestly should barely qualify as a simulation. Victoria 3 will almost certainly be a much more robust government and election sim on top of being a grand strategy game.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is basically "Capitalism, ho!" the thread anyways. 90% of the games here that involve managing people is just keeping them barely happy enough that they don't riot and burn your house down.

This is a fun(ny!) way of describing the game genre, but since I have discovered Timberborn is incredibly addictive to my personal brain worms, I want to argue against the universality of this claim.

If we loosely define capitalism as "number goes up", the game doesn't even bother tracking that many numbers, other than tangible ones such as how many carrots and planks my beavers (as a collective!) have available, how much power is available in my power grid, etc. The abstract Number, which might be what they envision to be the "goal" of the game?, is just general "well-being", so if I'm trying to make my beaver survival commune do good, I'll print books for them to eat (I don't understand why else books are consumables) along with pastries and stuff in addition to potato slop, carousels to ride in, and big-rear end beaver statues that they think look awesome. I guess politically the player is running a collectivist state/colony, but there's no real mechanics for punishing the beavers*, just making their lives less of a toil.

*You can send them to GULAG an empty colony and just starve them, which is pretty grim, but the game's failure state is a starvation death spiral to begin with, those poor beavers :ohdear:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve been reading Cadillac Desert and it makes me want even more hydrological management games. I’m going to jump back into Timberborn.

If you’ve read the book and are like “isn’t the point of that book that a ton of the hydrological engineering that you’re seemingly excited about is bad?” You’re right but it gives me the engineering equivalent of “I can fix him/her.”

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I have a similar thing where I read something about industrial disasters or destruction of nature and I find myself wanting to play another round of Captain of Industry or Factorio.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 5, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How's Dyson Sphere coming along? I know about and am excited about the combat update but has there been enough new stuff added that it might be worth checking out again now if I haven't since blueprints were added?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rappaport posted:

This is a fun(ny!) way of describing the game genre, but since I have discovered Timberborn is incredibly addictive to my personal brain worms, I want to argue against the universality of this claim.

If we loosely define capitalism as "number goes up", the game doesn't even bother tracking that many numbers, other than tangible ones such as how many carrots and planks my beavers (as a collective!) have available, how much power is available in my power grid, etc. The abstract Number, which might be what they envision to be the "goal" of the game?, is just general "well-being", so if I'm trying to make my beaver survival commune do good, I'll print books for them to eat (I don't understand why else books are consumables) along with pastries and stuff in addition to potato slop, carousels to ride in, and big-rear end beaver statues that they think look awesome. I guess politically the player is running a collectivist state/colony, but there's no real mechanics for punishing the beavers*, just making their lives less of a toil.

*You can send them to GULAG an empty colony and just starve them, which is pretty grim, but the game's failure state is a starvation death spiral to begin with, those poor beavers :ohdear:

This is a big part of what appeals to me about colony sims in the Dwarf Fortress mould. Without using money as an abstraction layer, you not only have genuine productive reasons to have a diverse range of industries going, but you're also not mechanically pushed toward just rinsing your units for all the money you can make as optimally as possible.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

explosivo posted:

How's Dyson Sphere coming along? I know about and am excited about the combat update but has there been enough new stuff added that it might be worth checking out again now if I haven't since blueprints were added?

they added a logistics delivery system for your own inventory like last week. it's been mostly smaller quality of life stuff instead of huge new features lately

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Books are literally consumables in timberborn, it mentiones it in the tooltip I think. They read them then eat the paper.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Little Big Workshop is on steam sale today for $7. I had been eyeing it, so I picked it up at that price.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bhodi posted:

Little Big Workshop is on steam sale today for $7. I had been eyeing it, so I picked it up at that price.

its good! its simple but good

one thing i discovered to increase throughput is to have rooms of loosely grouped tasks (metal forming machines, metal cutting machines, plastic machines) that utilize the same rough inputs. i'll put a bunch of shelves in that room tied to the machines, then one generic shelf in its own little storage zone. the idea is that when a worker is done processing some piece, they can simply place it on the nearest empty, unmarked shelf then go get more raw material from the next shelf down to start the next piece. then your haulers can do the work of taking the finished piece off the generic shelf to carry to the next step and whatever room it is in

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I've played a couple rounds of Against the Storm and I think it's more frustrating than fun. There are a lot of production paths that require multiple pieces to make. Like beer requires wheat and then pottery or barrels and also a tavern. So you need a farm (or equivalent); a clay source or copper source and a forge; a pottery/cooper; a brewery; and a tavern. In every single game, I'll get 2-3 of the pieces early on, and then not get the final piece until the last 10 minutes of the round or even never. Repeat for multiple production chains. The orders you get early on can be impossible to fulfil until late game because the RNG never gave an option for any of the alternate production paths that produces it.

It's not so much keeping plates spinning like a traditional city builder. Instead it feels like gambling. Like I'm constantly playing a gacha game where they take away everything I was lucky enough to get at the end of the round.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

OwlFancier posted:

Books are literally consumables in timberborn, it mentiones it in the tooltip I think. They read them then eat the paper.
Timberborn is such an adorable game.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, I said I print them for the lil fellas to eat. The wiki says they receive no nutrition from them, though. :sad:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Rappaport posted:

Yeah, I said I print them for the lil fellas to eat. The wiki says they receive no nutrition from them, though. :sad:

They're consumed for knowledge, not calories. Have you not had the experience of just devouring a good book in one read?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Timberborn is a game I know I'll love when I play it, but when it first came out a few people were saying it felt really early access and would probably be a really great game later, so I held off, not wanting to burn out on it.

Do people still feel that way? Is the game in a good place overall? Does it seem like even greater things are on the horizon for the game? The more I hear about it the more I want to just dive in right now, burnout be damned.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Eiba posted:

Timberborn is a game I know I'll love when I play it, but when it first came out a few people were saying it felt really early access and would probably be a really great game later, so I held off, not wanting to burn out on it.

Do people still feel that way? Is the game in a good place overall? Does it seem like even greater things are on the horizon for the game? The more I hear about it the more I want to just dive in right now, burnout be damned.

I played it in early access and I really didn't feel like it had much farther to go at all, it felt very complete. That was when it was the new thing so I imagine that it's quite a lot better now. I'd jump in.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think it’s complete at all. I couldn’t put it down for like four hours but the system feels slightly half-baked. There’s no real satisfaction, only frustration, in building out multiple districts. It lacks the sense of progression that, say, Tropico has.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Timberborn has some good core gameplay and mechanics, it's just missing some more concrete goals to work towards.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nielsm posted:

Timberborn has some good core gameplay and mechanics, it's just missing some more concrete goals to work towards.

This is mainly the only problem at this point. Your "goal" becomes to have your beavers gently caress more, until they're all very happy. The game is otherwise pretty developed and I would not feel bad if I paid full price for it now.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Your goal is what you make it. Mine is to have wooden robots doing all the work so the beavers can spend all day having fun and being happy.

I don't care for districts so I play small maps. These have the added advantage of looking very cute when fully-developed and cultivated, for example:
https://twitter.com/l_XaNaDu_l/status/1444024450563850241

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Lol @ somebody who wants concrete goals in Timberborn.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

You'll get wooden goals.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Does the aggressive beaver tribe sneak into their neighbour's houses and just eat the last page of the books?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I wanted to get that feeling that I got in factorio, the whole "the factory has been expanded to meet the needs of the expanding factory" with timberborn... But it just didn't grab me the same way.

Some of it is that you don't get resources back when you demolish a building? Sometimes I just wanna move something a square over, drat.

I should try a smaller map, though, because I really dislike the way district's are done.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It didn't grab me because it wasn't dam focused

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Volmarias posted:

They're consumed for knowledge, not calories. Have you not had the experience of just devouring a good book in one read?

I guess this explains why my place is full of books, I should literally devour them :smith:

Eiba posted:

As posted earlier, I'm nuts for this game so I am extremely biased, but I agree with what others said. I'm happy just making a map-spanning power grid and terraforming the place to meet my needs, and getting the (capital district) beavers very happy seems to happen quite naturally just by developing out your tech tree. And the beavers have cute animations when they're having fun in their fun having houses :3: But it's a sandbox, and there's no "win" scenario other than what makes you personally satisfied.

The district mechanic is a little annoying, and I feel like I have to play around it rather than with it. You can pre-pad a new district with a warehouse full of food and a big tank of water, and now with the undead artificial robot workers you theoretically wouldn't even need to worry about feeding a new colony that much. But it still feels like a new district means a lot of busy-work at the start, when otherwise the game is fairly hands-off in terms of beavers running their industries by themselves and the player just worrying about the larger scale infrastructure and town planning.

I get that it's because the beaver pathfinding AI has limits and all that, but it's still a bit cumbersome from a player perspective :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

It didn't grab me because it wasn't dam focused

It is if you play on harder difficulties, securing more reservoir space is a big reason for expansion.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Somehow I think it would be cool if the resource delivery and migration between districts would be done automatically.

Similar to what Settlers 2 tried to do with it's ships: You build your district and plan your buildings and some AI tries to balance the imports and exports to make everything do.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Wipfmetz posted:

Somehow I think it would be cool if the resource delivery and migration between districts would be done automatically.

Similar to what Settlers 2 tried to do with it's ships: You build your district and plan your buildings and some AI tries to balance the imports and exports to make everything do.

The new version does have some kind of automatic migration button, but I haven't dared trying to fiddle with it yet :ohdear:

You can't place harbour tiles in s2edit.exe without some modifications, right? Did the harbours work on anything but the maps specifically made by Bluebyte? (And Settlers 2 is a poor example anyway since the resource distribution "AI" breaks down on big maps with enough time :smith:)