Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Essendon are the gift that keeps on giving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Testekill posted:

Essendon are the gift that keeps on giving.

It has honestly made my week and it's only Tuesday

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

drunkill posted:

It has honestly made my week and it's only Tuesday

I actually did laugh until it hurt, I remembered the stuff that came out about how bad he is but I wasn't expecting him to last a Scaramucci.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I'm genuinely delighted for the Essendon supporters in this thread that they got rid of him so quickly.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

loving Essendumb

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Honestly the feedback on the membership line must have spooked them something hardcore I reckon

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Nah man, this is going great. Dodged Clarkson, dodged Hird, got rid of this idiot real quick. Near-faultless over the last two weeks.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

GlenMR posted:

Nah man, this is going great. Dodged Clarkson, dodged Hird, got rid of this idiot real quick. Near-faultless over the last two weeks.

The board told him to pick between the crazy church and the footy club and he decided to pick the church.

It's pretty embarrassing but also a pretty good outcome.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Testekill posted:

Sounds like Melbourne are also interested in Lachie Hunter which won't help speed problems.

Depends what sort of speed you're talking about

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

:yeshaha:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Listen to you all cheering this, won’t someone think of the poor persecuted white man?

https://twitter.com/hankmeyernapp/status/1577190403559739392?s=46&t=e9a-u7m5E8-_-HRrbjQVvw

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Completely glossing over his deep involvement with systemic corruption at NAB

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/DavidZita1/status/1577204443896242177
abloo bloo bloo, get hosed dickhead

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

NTRabbit posted:

Completely glossing over his deep involvement with systemic corruption at NAB

Looked this up. Here's a fun quote from a dude who was involved in the royal commission.

"I thought it telling that Mr Thorburn treated all issues of fees for no service as nothing more than carelessness combined with system deficiencies … Overall, my fear – that there may be a wide gap between the public face NAB seeks to show and what it does in practice – remains."

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

In non Essignton news, Saints have signed Zaine Cordy for three years as a free agent.

So this is a lol Saints post because Cordy is a pretty bad player. Maybe he'll come good in another system but even when our defence was good he was still not amazing.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

thepokey posted:

loving hell why do we have to be that way. Don't want Thorburn at the club

Guess I got my wish pretty quickly.

There is absolutely zero % chance that Essendon nor Thorburn didn't know about the church's stance. When random joes on twitter are talking about it minutes after his appointment, they HAD to know - they just hoped no one would care. I'm impressed they moved him on so quickly rather than digging our heels in, I mean, thats *something* towards progressiveness and change from the past, but its scraping the barrel. Either way, good riddance.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Testekill posted:

In non Essignton news, Saints have signed Zaine Cordy for three years as a free agent.

So this is a lol Saints post because Cordy is a pretty bad player. Maybe he'll come good in another system but even when our defence was good he was still not amazing.

lol Saints.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Testekill posted:

Yikes-a-roo.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Solemn Sloth posted:

Maybe west coast can send us a package for Hunt and everyone will be happy

We will send you a care package of socks as it's all we have.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Can't spell christian without poo poo

What a backward excuse for being exposed as a piece of poo poo by the people that never wanted you there in the first place

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Also his statement is loving garbage. He's not being told to gently caress off for being a Christian or being associated with a church. There are plenty of good people who are also Christians and associated with a church. He's being told to gently caress off for being an outspoken homophobic piece of poo poo who likened abortion to the holocaust.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

cmndstab posted:

Also his statement is loving garbage. He's not being told to gently caress off for being a Christian or being associated with a church. There are plenty of good people who are also Christians and associated with a church. He's being told to gently caress off for being an outspoken homophobic piece of poo poo who likened abortion to the holocaust.

It's red meat to the usual sorts that are begging to be oppressed and cancelled so they can then go on poo poo like Fox News & other NewsCorp shows to complain about it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

cmndstab posted:

100%

Note his phrasing of "being associated with a Church", not "being the chairman of an organization that likens abortion to concentration camps". Because whilst in this case the two things are technically the same, in reality they are miles apart.

Coz don't most clubs have a team pastor? And Israel Folau/GAj style nuttiness aside, there are tonnes of devout Christian players on AFL lists.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Geelong appear to be the frontrunners to absorb Bowes' contract from Gold Coast, without giving up anything (other than salary which they apparently have available?), and in doing so they also just get Gold Coast's first round pick for free as well or something?

Can someone explain it to me? Seems dodgy as hell.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

cmndstab posted:

Geelong appear to be the frontrunners to absorb Bowes' contract from Gold Coast, without giving up anything (other than salary which they apparently have available?), and in doing so they also just get Gold Coast's first round pick for free as well or something?

Short Answer; the salary cap is more of a suggestion for Geelong and it's very easy for them to exploit it.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

cmndstab posted:

The use of salary cap space as a trading tool is deeply flawed and explotable and should be banned. You should have to take the player at 100% of their current contract and nothing else.

People will say that it somehow allows bad teams to dump cap space to get players cheap but that's bullshit.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/stkildafc/status/1577556183606767616

Long to the Suns is official

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Periphery posted:

The use of salary cap space as a trading tool is deeply flawed and explotable and should be banned. You should have to take the player at 100% of their current contract and nothing else.

People will say that it somehow allows bad teams to dump cap space to get players cheap but that's bullshit.

I don't get how Geelong are reportedly going to add two years to his contract without paying anything extra.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Premiers Geelong are getting a contracted Bowe plus pick 7 in exchange for paying his contract

Bottom 4 Adelaide are apparently getting an uncontracted Izak Rankine for pick 5 plus later picks.

Nevermind the fact that Rankine is worth less than pick 5 by default because we could just take him at pick 5 in the main draft, our list building strategy of spaffing first round picks on anything but midfielders and then using later picks to either draft workmen mids or lesser versions of the niche positions we drafted for in the single digits is doing my head in. Justin Reid and Hamish Ogilvie have to be moved on, they just have to be.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

Agreed. It is basically just paying for a draft pick at this point which is just absurd. On top of that allowing Geelong to re-negotiate the contract and further impact the player in question is ridiculous. Pay him the contract.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I can understand allowing him to essentially move for "free" (ie no draft pick is exchanged) to clear up cap space, but why do they have to give up a first round pick as well? Who decided that?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Gotta hand it to Geelong, they're always on the ball.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the football club geelong. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

cmndstab posted:

I can understand allowing him to essentially move for "free" (ie no draft pick is exchanged) to clear up cap space, but why do they have to give up a first round pick as well? Who decided that?
Because it's cap space Geelong could be using to lure a free agent or something instead GCS are giving them the pick to make up for that.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
But pick 7 though? That's a massive sweetener to throw in.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
And straight up bullshit that they're allowed to re-jig the contract so they can spread the cost out over 4 years instead of 2.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

gay picnic defence posted:

Because it's cap space Geelong could be using to lure a free agent or something instead GCS are giving them the pick to make up for that.

Except Geelong have immediately halved the cap impact because they’re offering him the same amount of money for 4 years instead of 2 lol

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

The sheer loving cheek of Brisbane.

"Oh we'll give you a future 1st and pick 21 for Dunkley but you have to send picks 30 and 39 back for us to think it's fair. Never mind the fact that we finished top four and are improving our team with the number 1 pick, your B&F and Gunston" when they already traded out one of the picks that we were asking for. It's some Dodoro poo poo.
They could have had him doing photoshoots and PR already if they just went with the offer that everyone would have thought was fine in not slightly unders by giving us pick 15 and the future 1st. They've already got Ashcroft and Fletcher coming in, they can just take the points deficit but instead they're trying to get cute.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 7, 2022

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gabensraum posted:

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the football club geelong. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Yes you do, because we are the greatest team of all, not a salary cap dodgy team like Carlton :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

You Am I posted:

Yes you do, because we are the greatest team of all, not a salary cap dodgy team like Carlton :smug:

Coincidentally a surprising number of employees at the Costa Group with the same last names as Geelong players that nobody has ever seen in the office.