Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Sniep posted:

is that what it is

there's also the cloud line for me tho

which never seems to do a drat thing despite my car having its own wifi that's on all the time

must be nice to live in the USA

it’s like $50 a month for 10Gb of data to enable the wifi hotspot on my audi in canada

just wish I could use my phone data while keeping the wifi hotspot on so the cam would connect. have something like 1.5TB thru my Corp plan

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

my newest car is 10 years older than this

mine is fairly new, but our other one is old enough to drive and a beast. thing just keeps

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Nitr0 posted:

must be nice to live in the USA

it’s like $50 a month for 10Gb of data to enable the wifi hotspot on my audi in canada

just wish I could use my phone data while keeping the wifi hotspot on so the cam would connect. have something like 1.5TB thru my Corp plan

thats an audi problem not only a mobile carrier problem

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

you should get new tires. after about 6 years they're dried out and by 10 they're toast

oh so Big Tire got to you too huh? I see how it is.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my newest vehicle has a carb heheh

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
my mom got a newish car after decades of driving used poo poo off lots and while the backup camera IS very nice, the massive irritating infotainment screen drives me batshit every single time im in it. at least i can power it down so it's just a black screen. the death of physical controls is a nightmare

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

you tell 'em, rotor! I'm tired of these lackeys trucking in the same bald-face retreads

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

my car is old enough to rent a car this year

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kitfox88 posted:

the death of physical controls is a nightmare

it loving sucks so bad

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i had a convo a few weeks ago with some people about, weirdly i know, at what age we learned our ssns. most of them didn't learn them until their late teens/early 20s for college and work stuff.

i learned mine because we had to fill in our ssn with those bubbles on standardized tests, so i had mine memorized by around uhhh 3rd grade, and thought that was the normal age for it? but i was the only one in my 30s; everyone else was in their early 20s or early 50s and had no idea what i was talking about :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Gnossiennes posted:

i had a convo a few weeks ago with some people about, weirdly i know, at what age we learned our ssns. most of them didn't learn them until their late teens/early 20s for college and work stuff.

i learned mine because we had to fill in our ssn with those bubbles on standardized tests, so i had mine memorized by around uhhh 3rd grade, and thought that was the normal age for it? but i was the only one in my 30s; everyone else was in their early 20s or early 50s and had no idea what i was talking about :(

as a point of comparison, im in my mid 30s and we didn't use SSNs at all in school

elementary went by an assigned number per class (i remember being #14), then in jr and high we had school-assigned student ID numbers

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jonny 290 posted:

my newest vehicle has a carb heheh

bikes are cheating. they didnt go efi until, what, early 2000s?

my newest car is a '69, though i do have an efi motorcycle (that ive never ridden)

i am usually staggered when someone refers to their 2005 or w/e car as "old" cause thats newer than anyone in my family has (a couple aunts and uncles prob have something newer by now tho). this is the first time ive seen someone do that but like a decade newer, wtc

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

these were the state-wide benchmarking tests, so class-level numbers or school ID numbers would have been kind of useless

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

I'm in my late 30s and I don't think I learned my ssn until I needed it for work stuff at 16 or 17.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
hmm yeah i dont remember what the STAR tests used for identification. pretty sure i didnt have my ssn memorized until college applications, so it must have been something else

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My car's from 2008 which is recent enough that I'm offended when someone calls it "old", but it's French so it's aging in dog years.

It does have an aux-in adapter that emulates a CD changer and lets you control an OG iPod with the factory stereo, which is quaint in 2022. Also clearly an afterthought because factory fitment is velcro'd to the inside of the glovebox.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

you should get new tires. after about 6 years they're dried out and by 10 they're toast

that’s why you drive a car with a good safety rating so even if the tires blow out you’re sweet. it means you don’t have to spend money on maintenance because you can’t die

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Raluek posted:

bikes are cheating. they didnt go efi until, what, early 2000s?

Shiiit. the DRZ is a 2007 and has the little one barrel wheezer. They basically ran out the shot clock on carbs as long as they could. New stuff (i'd say for street bikes 08+, offroad/dirt type things 2010-2012ish) is all EFI yeah.

the more impressive one is the fz1. it's a 2002 but it has a carb for each cylinder and i do not ever want to have to sync them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh there are still gloriously carbureted bikes on showroom floors in tyool 2022, its magnificent

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Since this is like the third time car touchscreens have come up I just want to say that my 2021 Mazda cx-30 has a non touch screen that you control with a few knobs and switches and a giant "command knob"

Reviewers can poo poo on it all they want, but I love it and can do almost any setting from muscle memory without my eyes leaving the road or with quick glances at the screen for multiple steps, but it is way less distracting.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

my newest car is from 2004 and the mx5 mk2.5 is gloriously clunky sounding whenever you do anything, feels like you're really taking some serious action

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Since this is like the third time car touchscreens have come up I just want to say that my 2021 Mazda cx-30 has a non touch screen that you control with a few knobs and switches and a giant "command knob"

hell yeah!!! I borrowed a Hyundai Genesis for a bit (the owner's daughter totaled my wife's parked car lmao) and it had an insanely good knob: up,down,left,right and also cw/ccw rotate, center-click (and maybe pull? I can't remember) and every single aspect of it felt great (middle click wasn't awkward/didn't sometimes also click a direction)

i wish i could get a law passed that every touch screen was also required to support a knob peripheral exactly like this one

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 6, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
gently caress yeah knobs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Corla Plankun posted:

insanely good knob

:hmmyes:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
head unit so good

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
when u mount the head unit and she keep spinnin ya control knob >>>>>>>>>>

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
sloppy jokes, guys

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sniep posted:

sloppy jokes, guys

suck my knob

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh there are still gloriously carbureted bikes on showroom floors in tyool 2022, its magnificent

I bought a 2-stroke line trimmer (weedwacker) recently

kinda owns. Carb is a pile of junk, though, they ship these things without any adjustment screws these days, and the sea level tune is about 7000 ft too rich

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my daily driver is a 98 camry. starts perfectly fine in -40 weather still, too :madmax:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i rode in a new "mustang" mach-e and it had a big screen like a tesla, but vertical, and there were still normal controls on the steering wheel and stalks, so that seemed ok

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the way they did the volume control on that is they made it a touchscreen element and then epoxied a dial with a capacitive thing onto the screen

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
lmao you have to be kidding me

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Wild EEPROM posted:

the way they did the volume control on that is they made it a touchscreen element and then epoxied a dial with a capacitive thing onto the screen

this is the future big touch screen wants for your children.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

lmao you have to be kidding me

had one as a rental for a bit, and it is amazing how cheap it looks in parts. that extremely flimsy plastic ring notably.

it is a good idea though, ultimately a physical dial very naturally integrated with the touchscreen stuff, works just fine.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
physical dial :smugmrgw:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

whom amongst us doesn't enjoy good knobfeel..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

whom amongst us doesn't enjoy good knobfeel..?

sir this is a Mustang dealership