Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ignorant question: with proof of stake, what a miner does exactly? Or there are no miners anymore in this case?

I cant wrap my head on how proof of stake works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ignorant question: with proof of stake, what a miner does exactly? Or there are no miners anymore in this case?

The people with the most coins decide what reality in the coiner world is by "staking" some of their coins on it, basically, they get the reward for verifying transactions and miners are now obsolete.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Elias_Maluco posted:

Imagine taking an economics class and you have to do a group project where you create a fake stock market and you make the rules. That's bitcoin, but it's run by pure scammers who at some level know the rules and have baked in scams and traps throughout to keep rubes from making any money back.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mercury_Storm posted:

The people with the most coins decide what reality in the coiner world is by "staking" some of their coins on it, basically, they get the reward for verifying transactions and miners are now obsolete.

Yeah that I kinda understand, but how does it works? With proof of work I know that mining is finding the right hash for a block and etc. But in proof of stake, how that works? Someone who owns a lot of coins just press a button or something that says "I approve this block"?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ok so in "mining" everyone connects their processors to the network and all furiously try to guess a random number which will yield a certain result after a bunch of difficult calculations. Whoever gets it first is the winner and gets some newly minted coins plus the transaction fee, if any. Everyone on the network recognizes the winner's transaction record as the "true" record and it is added to the blockchain, and the losers get nothing. Since winning is essentially random (barring the discovery of some new math that would allow you to solve the problem more easily), in the long run the income you collect is going to be proportional to how much hardware you have, which itself is a function of how much money you spent. Spend more money, get more hardware, win more often, so you get huge warehouses of hardware burning electricity doing calculations. And as you add hardware the difficultly of the finding the right answer is arbitrarily increased to keep the rate of verified transactions roughly constant at 7 per second. But all of that isn't really necessary, everyone doesn't need to be doing all these redundant calculations. You could just do the calculation once and everyone could just check it and agree it's correct. All the proof of work stuff is just an incentive for people to perform that calculation (to get the reward) and have a system to decide who gets it (whoever's computer guesses the lucky number) that everyone can agree on.

So instead of agreeing that your rewards are proportional to how many processors you buy, you could all agree to just put up money and distribute the rewards according to how much money each person put up. That's an incentive for people to verify transactions (they can collect the reward), and a system to decide who gets it (based on the amount of money you put up). That's all you need.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 6, 2022

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah that I kinda understand, but how does it works? With proof of work I know that mining is finding the right hash for a block and etc. But in proof of stake, how that works? Someone who owns a lot of coins just press a button or something that says "I approve this block"?
As I understand it, the network as a whole just randomly selects one of the validator nodes (a validator being someone who put their 'stake' in) and it gets to be the one that generates the next block. The 'random' selection is really just your typical pseudo-random generator, not actual-random, but it's based on the state of the whole Ethereum 'virtual machine', so everyone else on the network agrees on that random selection.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/asabhiken/status/1577985993923346433

Twitter Preview Thread posted:

B/w June and August, 30-40% of Crypto.com’s entire workforce left the company, per former and current employees

That’s 2,000+ departures—the vast majority of which were layoffs

1,100+ reductions came from a customer service office in Bulgaria

An entire brand creative team was laid off mere months after being formed

Numerous other North American marketing personnel were let go, in addition to global cuts from various depts.

Crypto.com has also cut sponsorship deals, and in some cases has attempted to pull out altogether

Deals affected include highly touted partnerships w/ Angel City FC, Twitch Rivals and FIFA WC (particulars in story)

Efforts to create NFTs for partners have also dried up

These new details paint a much darker picture than previous reports

But more than anything, they show how the other shoe has dropped for a crypto firm that marketed really big when number was up

Now that number is down, the firm is grappling with its own costly decisions

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Halibut Barn posted:

As I understand it, the network as a whole just randomly selects one of the validator nodes (a validator being someone who put their 'stake' in) and it gets to be the one that generates the next block. The 'random' selection is really just your typical pseudo-random generator, not actual-random, but it's based on the state of the whole Ethereum 'virtual machine', so everyone else on the network agrees on that random selection.

the other part of the rube goldberg machine that's supposed to keep everyone honest is "slasher" nodes, basically watchdogs who can snitch on validators who perform actions which could fork the chain

if a slasher catches a validator doing something they shouldn't, the validator has some of their stake burned and the slasher gets a reward

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Snitches get shitcoins

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Halibut Barn posted:

I think I get it now, thank you

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Anyone have a way to read this on mobile? 12ft.io doesn't work for this one for me

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Jose Valasquez posted:

it's mostly ethereum which is proof of stake now, so now it's easier to laugh at the people scamming each other because it's not burning a barrel of oil every time they do it

Per user per year it's still on par with YouTube.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I eat at restaurants all the time and have never had to use a QR code to get a menu. The server just hands me a menu (or there's menus already on the table).

But I live in the south so maybe things are different wherever he lives.

lol i went to Nashville last month and the hotel menus were all QR codes. These then downloaded a PDF, which my phone wouldn't show. I had to show the waitress it failing to get the paper menu.

this was to tell securities regulators that crypto was poo poo and they should put them all in jail, so it's on topic ok

divabot fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 6, 2022

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

repiv posted:

the other part of the rube goldberg machine that's supposed to keep everyone honest is "slasher" nodes, basically watchdogs who can snitch on validators who perform actions which could fork the chain

if a slasher catches a validator doing something they shouldn't, the validator has some of their stake burned and the slasher gets a reward

But who watches the watchcoin??

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Man... this really gives me Deja-vu from the .com bubble popping. Like, the article is so similar to the early 2000's tech crash reporting it's giving me nostalgia.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

sick of Applebees posted:

Anyone have a way to read this on mobile? 12ft.io doesn't work for this one for me

This may work? https://archive.ph/vfo64

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Related:

https://twitter.com/WilliamsBob75/status/1578025407320035329

Crypto.com just stopped paying what they owed to the LA NWSL team.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

So how soon do the resell the Crypto.com Arena naming rights?

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
I haven’t lived in Los Angeles for many years, so I hadn’t heard that the Staples Center became the Crypto.com Stadium or whatever until fairly recently, from randomly browsing Google maps of all things.

My jaw almost fell off from the sheer stupidity of it. Looks like that might not be the name of the place for too much longer.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's a bunch of Australian rules football teams with crypto.com jersey ads as well as stadium advertising. I'd really like it to go away

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

bro your AV is so dank.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Somfin posted:

Per user per year it's still on par with YouTube.

that seems reasonable considering the amount of entertainment I get out of it

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol cyrpto.com did they get their money from barrowing? or venture capital money;

Good thing coinbase wasnt so stupid...lol....

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

LifeSunDeath posted:

bro your AV is so dank.
Thanks, buddy. Reppin’ the skeleton crew, too.

There’s a bit of a story behind it if you’re curious. It’s originally an Angry Johnny painting.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

at least they still have their stadium for n years.

also i'm not sure what thousands of workers for a buttcoin (or many tech) companies even do in their day to day or even hourly duty.

for companies that love to brag about their leanness and agileness, they soure seem bloated with a ton of filler

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I hope Matt Damon gets on national tv and apologizes.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
damon and other celebs dont care, like unless some unwashed heathen coiner poor personally bothers them.

kinda like how bird site jack finally banned Jones and Loomer whne they personally bothered him.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

PhazonLink posted:

at least they still have their stadium for n years.
It would be just the perfect chef’s kiss if the Crypto.com Stadium outlives Crypto.com

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You love to see it.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

LMAO

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1578187771331551233

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Holy poo poo that is amazing. Worse than a bank in every single way.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Identity theft, but on the blockchain

Barudak
May 7, 2007

King Carnivore posted:

It would be just the perfect chef’s kiss if the Crypto.com Stadium outlives Crypto.com

Sports Authority redux

(Technically as soon as payments aren't made they drop the naming rights to the stadium and nobody pays upfront for the whole contract unless lmao lol laffo)

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Big news:

https://twitter.com/BNBCHAIN/status/1578148078636650496

https://twitter.com/0xfoobar/status/1578140914283065344

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

don't worry funds and names are safu

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Oops, we lost all your money. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

why the hell do we need real time surge pricing, that poo poo should be banned, at atleast crippled to updates only every 60 mins or so.
No restaurant actually does that. The thread made it up in order to get mad at it. 'Dynamic' pricing is for things like "Sysco is charging 10% more for eggs on our weekly order, add $1 to the price of souffles, update the menu website, and reprint the handful of paper menus we still have"

drk
Jan 16, 2005

repiv posted:

the best part of this was all the drama around tornado cash, in which cryptos were very concerned that validators might exclude transactions for crimes

transactions for crimes are one of the primary use cases for crypto, so if I recall correctly they decided to use this slashing mechanism to punish stakers who attempt to not do crimes

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Surge pricing for restaurants is when you're a dick to the staff and they're like "your sandwich is now $45, go gently caress yourself" hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Foxfire_ posted:

No restaurant actually does that. The thread made it up in order to get mad at it. 'Dynamic' pricing is for things like "Sysco is charging 10% more for eggs on our weekly order, add $1 to the price of souffles, update the menu website, and reprint the handful of paper menus we still have"

This thread is full of luddites who don't understand crypto. Of course they are going to grumble about QR codes and "needing a smartphone" in 2022 and totally misunderstand the process lol.