Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
to answer the next question, most likely a Sony or Pioneer double din head unit, Pioneer 2-way components up front, coaxials in the rear, 100-ish watts of amp per channel for those, and a dual voice coil 8" sub with about 300w behind it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
head units support homekit?

...why? lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beeftweeter posted:

head units support homekit?

...why? lol

"open the garage door"
"turn on the front lights"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jonny 290 posted:

"open the garage door"
"turn on the front lights"

hm, yeah i guess that makes sense. how does network connectivity work there then? cell modem? bluetooth tether?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I think that’s just carplay you’re talking about

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i think you just need a carplay compatible head unit and your timb phone will handle the rest
efb

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

yeah carplay would probably make more sense there. for homekit you'd need networked lights or a garage, i think

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
siri suggests a control for the garage door when i am driving close enough to my house, its nice

would be slightly nicer if i could configure that to do a scene instead of just that device control, i configured a 'drive home' scene that both opens the garage door and unlocks the deadbolt in the back door

not bad though

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
using siri through carplay (and whatever microphone is attached to the head unit) is no different than on your phone, the activation button is holding down the view switcher button in the bottom left of the screen

i have my phone configured to disable home controls while the phone is locked, so if i tell siri "unlock the back door" via carplay, the response is something like "youd have to unlock your phone first. and i dont advise that while driving"

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
also besides using voice the "open garage" button shows up on my head unit when I'm within a kilometer of my house, presumably by using gps.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I always thought it was based on joining your home wifi, but gps also makes sense

I only discovered recently that home.app works at all when you aren't on home wifi. I guess apple does go to the cloud when necessary?

Lysidas posted:

using siri through carplay (and whatever microphone is attached to the head unit) is no different than on your phone, the activation button is holding down the view switcher button in the bottom left of the screen

also if your car has a voice control button on the steering wheel, it will activate siri while carplay is on

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 7, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

homekit has always worked on lte also. i was able to figure out quickly from the street which apartment is ours because i set up a script that cycled the lights rapidly RGB :haw:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

homekit devices work on wifi only unless you have a homekit hub, which is a homepod or appletv or prior to ios 16 an ipad (capability was removed with 16). the hub is a bridge to the wider internet via icloud . you can’t eg turn on your homekit lights outside of wifi range unless you have one of the hubs in your home

e: that holds true only for the home app, if you have a Philips hue hub or something similar it probably has its own internet access through a dedicated app even though it may also interface with homekit

Jenny Agutter fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 7, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

homekit devices work on wifi only unless you have a homekit hub, which is a homepod or appletv or prior to ios 16 an ipad (capability was removed with 16). the hub is a bridge to the wider internet via icloud . you can’t eg turn on your homekit lights outside of wifi range unless you have one of the hubs in your home

e: that holds true only for the home app, if you have a Philips hue hub or something similar it probably has its own internet access through a dedicated app even though it may also interface with homekit

oh, nice catch. i got the apple tv before the lights so i didn't even think of it

LIFX also does their own cloud thing, it's actually pretty useful if i'm using my palm phone or something. the api is open so you can script it with a couple of curl requests or whatever

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i push the button on my garage door opener to open my garage

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Lysidas posted:

siri suggests a control for the garage door when i am driving close enough to my house, its nice

would be slightly nicer if i could configure that to do a scene instead of just that device control, i configured a 'drive home' scene that both opens the garage door and unlocks the deadbolt in the back door

not bad though

not throwing shade but it's gonna be a long time before i consider using a smart lock in my home

automatic garage door opener otoh i would be all over that if i had a garage, but since i'm in a condo i have to push a button on a remote like some kind of sucker

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i have a z-wave danalock on my door and it rules, very nice to be able to remote unlock and have a 5 minute autolock timer, get status notifications and it still works with a key and looks like a normal door from the outside.

hacking it probably takes more skill and effort than smashing a window or picking the cylinder, and even if someone defeats it there are multiple other door and motion sensors that would trigger the alarm system

homekit is pretty smart about door locks and will not let you unlock the door unless you unlock the phone first

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

r u ready to WALK posted:

i have a z-wave danalock on my door and it rules, very nice to be able to remote unlock and have a 5 minute autolock timer, get status notifications and it still works with a key and looks like a normal door from the outside.

hacking it probably takes more skill and effort than smashing a window or picking the cylinder, and even if someone defeats it there are multiple other door and motion sensors that would trigger the alarm system

homekit is pretty smart about door locks and will not let you unlock the door unless you unlock the phone first

i really want something like this when i get a place of my own, but i have gripping fear of guarding my bespoke collection of mouse mats merely by an internet of poo poo appliance

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i bought a new deadbolt for the door couple weeks back, the old one fell apart

if you need to get in here, there's a key buried somewhere in the yard. lol

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

doorbell cameras are also great internet of poo poo devices, both because they allow you to easily ignore solicitors and because you can talk to package delivery guys and tell them to drop the package off in your garage if you're not home, and then you can open the garage remotely for them

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

doorbell cameras are also great internet of poo poo devices, both because they allow you to easily ignore solicitors and because you can talk to package delivery guys and tell them to drop the package off in your garage if you're not home, and then you can open the garage remotely for them

plus with police having unfettered access to audio/video of your neighborhood you’re probably safer than ever!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

i bought a new deadbolt for the door couple weeks back, the old one fell apart

if you need to get in here, there's a key buried somewhere in the yard. lol

you sealed up the gun port?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i just got a dual knob/deadbolt set with the same key and put them in at my place. i thought about getting a fancy app based deadbolt or something i could open with buttons but figured gently caress it i'll just stick with my key.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I got a deadbolt with an electronic keypad. I get the benefits of leaving the house without needing my keys and don’t have to mess with any IoT stuff.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Lysidas posted:

not bad though

have you tried building a homekit automation based on your arrival? that sounds like something you could geofence (and make contingent on time of day) and run the scene automatically when entering the area

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lomarf car is real, and in ohio: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a41559186/foxconn-ev-hatchback-ohio-factory/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

infernal machines posted:

you sealed up the gun port?

lol, yeah. Had a landlord inspection and couldn't really let that be as-is

(for a while i had a gatorade lid super glued over it, so at least people couldn't peek in)

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

FCKGW posted:

don’t have to mess with any IoT stuff.

but that's like the best part :confused:

(i stumbled across https://powersaver.no the other day, node-red is real fun when it works)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
absolutely cursed to hell and back

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

(i stumbled across https://powersaver.no the other day, node-red is real fun when it works)

consider piping your posts into *checks notes* varmepumpe kjeller

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

not real: ohio

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
unfortunately, ohio is very real

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

don’t get me wrong, I have tons of other dumb iot poo poo in my house including 7 echos, but the deadbolt was simply a bridge too far

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Cold on a Cob posted:

not throwing shade but it's gonna be a long time before i consider using a smart lock in my home

yeah the schlage encode plus is exactly what i want for this, it does not require using the manufacturer app, can be homekit-only, and the home keys that get added to apple wallet let you unlock it even without wifi (like if no power also)

i probably trust the cryptography implementation more than the cylinder, as in:

hacking it probably takes more skill and effort than smashing a window or picking the cylinder

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Agile Vector posted:

have you tried building a homekit automation based on your arrival? that sounds like something you could geofence (and make contingent on time of day) and run the scene automatically when entering the area

thanks, this did occur to me but when setting up something like this i am told "This automation will not run because access to Home while locked is turned off. Go to Settings."

and at the moment i do not want to allow home control while locked, i might reconsider but 🤷‍♂️

i usually pull out my phone and access control center or the home app on my way from the garage to the house anyway, to close the garage door behind me, and its easy enough to open the door from there too, or if carrying grocery bags it actually is convenient to hold my phone or watch up to the keypad to unlock it through nfc

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Ohio is a made-up story invented to scare unruly children into compliance

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
yeah, much like the Kansas Rectangle

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lysidas posted:

yeah, much like the Kansas Rectangle

the earth being a torus the most sensible way of doing the projection for a 2d map (needing to limit the distortion at the inner seam) was to leave an undefined spot in the middle. that confused people of the weird sphere persuasion though, so they mapmakers named that part 'kansas', the native american word for 'void'.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

butt dickus posted:

i push the button on my garage door opener to open my garage

i'd rather use my phone thats already mounted on my bike, or my watch when i leave my house just wearing spandex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my son is called sam and siri often activates when i say ‘hey sammy’. gently caress u tim