Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

raminasi posted:

my favorite part of my previous job was the monthly award i gave to the dev who deleted the most code

hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PokeJoe posted:

Deleting code is the best part about development

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

PokeJoe posted:

one time i deleted like 100 lines of my own code from years past and resplaced it with 3 and i felt like i won a boss fight -- the boss that is myself

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Roosevelt posted:

one time i deleted like 100 lines of my own code from years past and resplaced it with 3 and i felt like i won a boss fight -- the boss that is myself

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Javascript.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

javascript is my only friend

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Javascript.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gnossiennes posted:

learning technical perspective drawing will do the same, you will forever be haunted by how bad most artists are at drawing ellipses

CIRCLES DON'T HAVE POINTS!!!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

CIRCLES DON'T HAVE POINTS!!!

what are you talking about? circles are nothing BUT points

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:smugmrgw:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

That's a cylinder

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

beautiful perspectice, excellent core shadow

check this out:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gnossiennes posted:

check this out:

Oh that looks sick man. Super dramatic angle

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Gnossiennes posted:

check this out:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

what are you talking about? circles are nothing BUT points

Circles are mathematical functions, rotor. If you have points in your circle you're looking at an approximation

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Oh that looks sick man. Super dramatic angle

sometimes you just gotta push that perspective, make it really pop off the page

if all else fails, just add vents, chrome, shadow, and a background rectangle of color

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

also

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

PokeJoe posted:

I unironically love refactoring

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

same. i also get a perverse joy from fixing bugs. so of course the things most companies care least about

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

blood diffs for the blood god

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
the vein and shadow balls were already there

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Circles are mathematical functions, rotor. If you have points in your circle you're looking at an approximation

a circle is the set of all points distance D from a center point C

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Take two points P1, P2 and look at the points P such that the ratio of the distance between P and P1 and the distance between P and P2 is equal to some constant. That's a circle.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

i want a chrome vented robocock. can it whistle a cheerful tune like the japanese toilets?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ultrafilter posted:

I'm in the middle of writing a presentation that has slides from multiple sources that use different but very similar looking fonts. Gonna see who the typography nerds in my audience are.

you monster

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
why do we never hear about times old roman

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gnossiennes posted:

sometimes you just gotta push that perspective, make it really pop off the page

if all else fails, just add vents, chrome, shadow, and a background rectangle of color

i'm loling at the sideways desert chrome

nah bro it's just sitting up against a canyon wall

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

haveblue posted:

why do we never hear about times old roman
rotor will tell you about his euro trip when he's good and ready

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

new sgi workstations lookin good

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Kenny Logins posted:

rotor will tell you about his euro trip when he's good and ready

:argh:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Roosevelt posted:

chrome vented robocock

mods plz

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Roosevelt posted:

chrome venti robocock

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/nwnk/status/1578068792369987590?s=20&t=53RgcI7ScHiWOeeKIlJT3g

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Doom runs on everything but WordPerfect's compatibility is still terra incognita.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Take two points P1, P2 and look at the points P such that the ratio of the distance between P and P1 and the distance between P and P2 is equal to some constant. That's a circle.

isn’t that a hyperbola

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i'm loling at the sideways desert chrome

nah bro it's just sitting up against a canyon wall

photo for reference:

desert chrome is how i was taught to render chrome and by god i will desert chrome

related to ellipses in perspective: in college i was taught an obscure way of figuring out ellipsis degree, and i've never seen designers from other schools use it:

basically, you draw your minor axis to the vanishing point perpendicular to the surface, make a line to the 3rd vanishing point (or vertical), and then using the vanishing point parallel to the surface, make another line off-center. using that third line & the vertical/3rd point line as a bisector, you visually judge if the two sections are equal.

it's still approximation, because of the weirdness of where the major axis actually falls on a circle in perspective, and because the "real" ellipsis degree on the closer side is different from the degree on the far side, and it assumes you're using alvin templates or whatever, but it helped a lot with understanding how ellipses change as they move/rotate imo

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

rotor posted:

I‘m sure this is well known but I still laughed

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gnossiennes posted:

photo for reference:

desert chrome is how i was taught to render chrome and by god i will desert chrome

related to ellipses in perspective: in college i was taught an obscure way of figuring out ellipsis degree, and i've never seen designers from other schools use it:

basically, you draw your minor axis to the vanishing point perpendicular to the surface, make a line to the 3rd vanishing point (or vertical), and then using the vanishing point parallel to the surface, make another line off-center. using that third line & the vertical/3rd point line as a bisector, you visually judge if the two sections are equal.

it's still approximation, because of the weirdness of where the major axis actually falls on a circle in perspective, and because the "real" ellipsis degree on the closer side is different from the degree on the far side, and it assumes you're using alvin templates or whatever, but it helped a lot with understanding how ellipses change as they move/rotate imo
can it be used to draw a p̸̫͋î̶̯c̵̲̆t̸͖̽u̶͓̒r̵̛̖e̶͉͒ ̷̧̀ỏ̶̩f̷͙͆ ̸̱̅ä̷̯ g̴̱̍̏͝à̴̞̐̓͝t̶̛͍̆̾̓ ̶̧̭̳̲̅d̴͚͎̝̆̐ͅá̴̌͜n̷͇͇̝̊̿̐ģ̸̘̥̀͂ ḩ̵̡͍̭͈̼͔͗͑o̶̳̮̮̟̘̭̊̈́͛̕͝t̸̘̘̠͚̘̏̽ ̷̢̬͉͉͚̅̓̿͆̅d̸͙̼͕̦̖͍̀̊̃ö̴̧̠̳̪̣͉̖̹̗́̊͂͛̍̑̎͠ḡ̴̢̻̞͇̳̂̒̾̅͛͝?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I mean, I get the frustration, but I guess I am just not a good youtube subscriber to have.

https://twitter.com/bonsai_pop/status/1578759284065972224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
gently caress you im not watching ads