Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MrQueasy posted:

but not glasses wearers

they make facial interfaces for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the other thing about vr is that the software is really important. you can have all the specs in the world but if your tracking is bad or you get frame drops then it super sucks. I have an hp reverb g2 that has some of the best displays on the market. text is super clear. but it sucks at tracking the controllers and headset and the windows mixed reality runtime it depends on really sucks

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

MrQueasy posted:

but not glasses wearers

akadajet posted:

they make facial interfaces for that

https://vroptician.com/

I just got a new prescription and I'm tempted to get a set for my old VIVE, but tbh its a good few years old now and I might sit and wait to see what the next gen headsets are like.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MrQueasy posted:

but not glasses wearers

my glasses fit fine under a quest 2 with no mods

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Sagebrush posted:

my glasses fit fine under a quest 2 with no mods
It's the temples that kill me, the straps pressing them into the side of my face.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

MrQueasy posted:

but not glasses wearers

you can get prescription lenses for your vr headset so you don't need to wear glasses

e:beat

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://vroptician.com/

I just got a new prescription and I'm tempted to get a set for my old VIVE, but tbh its a good few years old now and I might sit and wait to see what the next gen headsets are like.

Also here.

https://vr-lens-lab.com/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i'm also crazy nearsighted but using poo poo like google cardboard is fine (i haven't tried "real" headsets though). its like looking through a viewfinder or binoculars, taking my glasses off is just a hell of a lot more comfortable

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the halo design is much better than the elastic strap design, both friendlier to glasses and less face pressure. it sucks that the quest doesn't use it, but it's probably more expensive

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Eeyo posted:

oh i thought the implication was that they're just going on a fishing expedition to get as much info about their competitors as they can during the discovery process for their antitrust lawsuit.

i'm not a lawyer though so this kind of stuff may be routine, who knows.

my understanding is that in situations like this, the information gets sent to a third-party law firm which does some kind of analysis/summary and Facebook never gets access to their competitor's secrets

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

pseudorandom name posted:

my understanding is that in situations like this, the information gets sent to a third-party law firm which does some kind of analysis/summary and Facebook never gets access to their competitor's secrets

it depends on what it's being used for. attorneys can for the most part send out subpoenas willy-nilly without much oversight unless there's some objection

i can't really determine that from the limited context, but if it's intended for their defense facebook would absolutely get that information. the company they're subpoenaing can decline to answer though and if facebook still insists, they can petition the court to have the subpoena quashed (nullified). it sounds like that is probably the case and they have a pretty solid reason to tell them to gently caress off, but as with everything you're at the mercy of the court at the end of the day

otoh if they're being sued by facebook for some sort of real or imagined violation it's a lot more difficult to evade, and the process for segmenting that information is different, but there's really no scenario in which they don't eventually get access to it (either via their attorneys or the court) because for it to be a legally valid subpoena, it has to be material to whatever the trial is about. kinda hard for that to be true if the information is ultimately useless

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

the other thing about vr is that the software is really important. you can have all the specs in the world but if your tracking is bad or you get frame drops then it super sucks. I have an hp reverb g2 that has some of the best displays on the market. text is super clear. but it sucks at tracking the controllers and headset and the windows mixed reality runtime it depends on really sucks

I'm pretty happy with my Odyssey. Really the only issue is that it's not ideal for my head shape, so I have to tilt it a bit awkwardly and it starts to hurt after about two hours. The tracking isn't as solid as Vive/Rift but IMO it's a good tradeoff for not having to gently caress around with cameras and lighthouses.

That said I haven't used it in probably a year, but the main reason is that there aren't games. Lone Echo and Alyx are pretty much the high watermark so far. I'm not particularly interested in grinding best scores in Flesh Saber or whatever.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm pretty happy with my Odyssey. Really the only issue is that it's not ideal for my head shape, so I have to tilt it a bit awkwardly and it starts to hurt after about two hours. The tracking isn't as solid as Vive/Rift but IMO it's a good tradeoff for not having to gently caress around with cameras and lighthouses.

That said I haven't used it in probably a year, but the main reason is that there aren't games. Lone Echo and Alyx are pretty much the high watermark so far. I'm not particularly interested in grinding best scores in Flesh Saber or whatever.

I think a lot of development is going on for quest now since that’s where the audience is.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Some real hard rear end cyberpunk poo poo:
https://twitter.com/ksadjadpour/status/1578818422921568256?s=20&t=RXFwO6N-JZLErYsikty0lA

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

whoa

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
what would even be the best way to respond without immediately rolling over?

ignore because its not legally binding?
send them back a big gently caress you?
rope in one of the other vr mfgs to wage war?
public shaming?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

what would even be the best way to respond without immediately rolling over?

ignore because its not legally binding?
send them back a big gently caress you?
rope in one of the other vr mfgs to wage war?
public shaming?

ehh a mix. lol

it is technically legally binding, but if you just ignore it they would need to get a court order to have it enforced and if it's really not actually relevant a judge might just not do that anyway. public shaming can help there, but not much really, and it can definitely backfire

the paper trail is super important if you want to quash one. probably what i'd do is send them a nasty letter questioning its relevance to the matter at hand, raise whatever objections there are and why, tell them i therefore decline to respond and will file a motion to quash with the court if they persist. if it's on shaky legal ground and they know it, usually that's enough

if it progresses to the point that it actually winds up in front of a judge, they could look at your previous objections and decide accordingly, assuming they're valid. they may also decide that you're wrong, or that both parties are, and then narrow it somewhat to whatever is deemed relevant

since an attorney can send a subpoena for pretty much whatever, there are pretty stiff penalties for demanding an unreasonable amount of poo poo or records that are dubiously relevant

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

I think a lot of development is going on for quest now since that’s where the audience is.

Yeah it seems to be trying to be the iphone of vr, but I'm not interested in that poo poo

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

every major headset has aftermarket strap options for giant head havers

:pcgaming:

im lucky then, the vr headset I had came with a strap-on

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hehe! dildo joke!

---

anyways vr headsets are just a way to annoy people with poorly fitting poo poo until you relent and give skull caliper measurements to palmer lucky or peter thiel or whatever vampire is behind em

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it turns out the vampires are the angel investors we met along the way

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

MrQueasy posted:

but not glasses wearers

there are rx lens inserts you can get! I think I got mine from vroptician for like 90 bucks shipped

e: wow I'm late

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

here you go, $10 glasses.

https://www.zennioptical.com/p/metal-alloy-full-rim-frame-with-spring-hinges/5500?skuId=550021

put in your prescription and pres butan

I’ve used these in a wvr1, a rift CV1, a WMR headset, a rift S and a Quest 2 and they work great in all of them.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

put in your prescription

has anyone had any luck getting their eye dude to actually give you your prescription in writing?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

rotor posted:

has anyone had any luck getting their eye dude to actually give you your prescription in writing?
Yes. My optometrist handed it to me on a slip, and I believe Lenscrafters will do so automatically as well. I'm not sure they'd actually be allowed to purposefully conceal medical information from you.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

rotor posted:

yes, they hand me a copy when i leave

Nessus posted:

Yes. My optometrist handed it to me on a slip, and I believe Lenscrafters will do so automatically as well. I'm not sure they'd actually be allowed to purposefully conceal medical information from you.

by law they have to give you your glasses prescription so you can use a third party, they do not have to for contacts because they had a better lobby

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

it's federal law that they have to.

that said, i've had some give me a hard time and others do it with no question. i had a guy once try to tell me that zenni etc would make glasses with the wrong prescription and screw up my eyes somehow. he then tried to fake me out by giving me one without the IPD number on it. i pointed that out and he gave me an exasperated "ALRIGHT" and did the measurement. i didn't go back to him.

currently i go to golden vision at stonestown and the receptionist will just print a copy if you ask. try them. i think last time i didn't even have to show id lol

like i know they make money selling the glasses but lmao a full price designer frame is like minimally a 15,000% markup on materials and labor. even warby parker does just fine at about a third the price of what the opticial sells. get hosed

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 10, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Wow, that's some rear end in a top hat move. I was concerned about being able to get my prescription in a form to take home so i could buy more pairs from Zenni. what sort of questions should i ask up front?

Note that I do intend to buy one or two pairs from the place i go to for my exam; i'm going to give them some business. but the whole exercise is to get my prescription so i can buy a dozen pairs of hosed up weird glasses from china

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

it's federal law that they have to.

I wonder if that's new. I remember the last time i tried was in the 90s and it was like a 15 minute ordeal

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Wow, that's some rear end in a top hat move. I was concerned about being able to get my prescription in a form to take home so i could buy more pairs from Zenni. what sort of questions should i ask up front?

just look it over and make sure it's complete. power for each side, cylinder and axis for each side if you have astigmatism, and pupillary distance, which may be a single number if your face is pretty symmetrical, or two numbers if it isn't.

i forget what the prism figures are but you'd know if you have those.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jonny 290 posted:

Note that I do intend to buy one or two pairs from the place i go to for my exam; i'm going to give them some business. but the whole exercise is to get my prescription so i can buy a dozen pairs of hosed up weird glasses from china
You're paying them for the eye exam, aren't you? ('You" may be "your insurance" of course)

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I get medical and dental but vision has always been worthless

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nessus posted:

You're paying them for the eye exam, aren't you? ('You" may be "your insurance" of course)

e: misread your point. Yes of course I am but i know these places make all their money on frames and lenses, so i don't put it past them to gently caress me on the take-home prescription to teach me a lesson or whatever

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

e: misread your point. Yes of course I am but i know these places make all their money on frames and lenses, so i don't put it past them to gently caress me on the take-home prescription to teach me a lesson or whatever

tell them you travel a lot and need to have your scrip so you can get a new pair made in prague or lagos or singapore if you lose yours. that shut down arguments instantly.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
genius. i love it. ty

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

if they intentionally gave you the wrong prescription out of spite for not buying from them, that is huge malpractice and you'd be rich

e: to be clear, when the guy gave me the one without IPD, that's not a wrong prescription. it's just incomplete and they can't make the glasses without that figure. any optometrist can measure it in 10 seconds, but i couldn't have completed an online order without it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 10, 2022

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

if they intentionally gave you the wrong prescription out of spite for not buying from them, that is huge malpractice and you'd be rich
lol yea. just ask for the script the gotta give it to you

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

another random from the waffle:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I haven't worn glasses in a long time, but whenever I get an exam for new contacts I always get a little form with all the prescription info on it without even asking for it. Sounds weird to be having any trouble with that at all unless you're trying to fuckin slickdeals some free eye exams or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
i got cataracts out of nowhere like 4 years ago and had surgery on both eyes and went from needing glasses to drive to now i just need readers for small print, and only 1.25x. i got a pair of bifocal readers that i just wear all the time and because they're only 1.25x they're cheap as poo poo from all sorts of online places