Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
drat, glad it ended up well for you. anything that fucks with my sight even more than it already is hosed with scares the poo poo out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jonny 290 posted:

drat, glad it ended up well for you. anything that fucks with my sight even more than it already is hosed with scares the poo poo out of me

yep this is 100% my biggest fear beyond going senile lol. it also happens to be why i haven't gotten lasik or a lens implant

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sagebrush posted:

if they intentionally gave you the wrong prescription out of spite for not buying from them, that is huge malpractice and you'd be rich

e: to be clear, when the guy gave me the one without IPD, that's not a wrong prescription. it's just incomplete and they can't make the glasses without that figure. any optometrist can measure it in 10 seconds, but i couldn't have completed an online order without it.
There are phone apps you can use which give a pretty plausible result. Zenni also has various tools you can allegedly use.

I used a phone app and ordered Zenni glasses and if they're off it's by a tiny, tiny amount, enough that I'm still basically getting the full benefit.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

each day i get closer and closer to going full health nut sober

but then tuesday ends and i take a moment to re-evaluate - "why??"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Nessus posted:

There are phone apps you can use which give a pretty plausible result. Zenni also has various tools you can allegedly use.

I used a phone app and ordered Zenni glasses and if they're off it's by a tiny, tiny amount, enough that I'm still basically getting the full benefit.

hm. i definitely need to update my lenses and if i can skip the optometrist that'd rule

do you have an "official" measurement to compare to? anyone else done this?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

yep this is 100% my biggest fear beyond going senile lol. it also happens to be why i haven't gotten lasik or a lens implant

My partner got lens implants and she's so much happier. She got lasik back in the early 2000s and it messed with her night vision, and her vision hadn't stabilized yet so it all went bad again.

I'm considering lasik next year, not having to wear glasses would make my photography much more enjoyable and save me money on regular contacts. My vision hasn't changed for at least a decade tho.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I should probably learn to be okay with poo poo touching my eyes and get some contacts. my prescription isn't too funky so they wouldn't be incredibly expensive and I'd probably keep wearing glasses most of the time anyways

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nessus posted:

yeh. mine has been +/- 1mm on the last few prescriptions i've gotten, and i've never noticed a problem from that. your pupils move around with your gaze and they get closer together when you focus on things up close, after all, so it's always going to be an approximation.

Beeftweeter posted:

hm. i definitely need to update my lenses and if i can skip the optometrist that'd rule

do you have an "official" measurement to compare to? anyone else done this?

you can use the same number that's on any of your older prescriptions, unless you think your eyes have moved around on your face.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 10, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Megabound posted:

My partner got lens implants and she's so much happier. She got lasik back in the early 2000s and it messed with her night vision, and her vision hadn't stabilized yet so it all went bad again.

I'm considering lasik next year, not having to wear glasses would make my photography much more enjoyable and save me money on regular contacts. My vision hasn't changed for at least a decade tho.

yeah i'd primarily want it for photos too. my wife got lasik a couple years ago and doesn't have any night vision issues, but she gets dry eyes pretty often, which didn't happen before. she's a graphic artist so i know she's got a really good eye for detail also

Sagebrush posted:

you can use the same number that's on any of your older prescriptions, unless you think your eyes have moved around on your face.

my eyes have definitely gotten worse but these glasses are like 12 years old. i ran out of contacts about a month ago, but iirc the prescriptions have always been different anyway? toric lenses are expensive man

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

your prescription will change, but i don't think your interpupillary distance should, because your eyes are stuck where they are in your skull.

idk though i'm not a doctor

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i mean, i've been getting separate prescriptions for glasses and contacts for as long as i've worn either. afaik they've never had the same numbers but i don't know anything about optometry really. maybe its an astigmatism thing?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, that would do it. the astigmatic axis is going to be different because of something to do with how the lenses sit on your eyes vs when they're sitting in front of them. (both of mine are 5 degrees different from the glasses axis, in opposite directions). also you can in theory get an axis prescription measured down to single degrees, but they don't make disposable lenses in that many variants, so you'll get whatever is closest.

i only occasionally wear contacts, but they're not quite as pin-sharp as my glasses, which i attribute to these issues with the astigmatism.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, that would do it. the astigmatic axis is going to be different because of something to do with how the lenses sit on your eyes vs when they're sitting in front of them. (both of mine are 5 degrees different from the glasses axis, in opposite directions). also you can in theory get an axis prescription measured down to single degrees, but they don't make disposable lenses in that many variants, so you'll get whatever is closest.

i only occasionally wear contacts, but they're not quite as pin-sharp as my glasses, which i attribute to these issues with the astigmatism.

hmm. now i wonder if i can get by with one of the apps and a cheap pair

but yeah toric lenses are kinda weird like that, they're weighted so they don't settle directly on your eye immediately (plus if you're used to regular contacts they feel pretty weird). usually i have to wait a second or two for poo poo to actually focus completely sharply, but it's a pretty minimal difference that i imagine most people wouldn't even actually notice. it's really only perceptible when i'm trying to look at really fine lines or something with a difference of probably less than a millimeter

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

to be clear on the glasses, the apps I used are only for pupil distance, and I believe they have a way to allow for individual eye pupil distance.

Zenni also obviously does not sell contacts, at least to my knowledge

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Nessus posted:

to be clear on the glasses, the apps I used are only for pupil distance, and I believe they have a way to allow for individual eye pupil distance.

Zenni also obviously does not sell contacts, at least to my knowledge

oh lol thanks for the clarification but i meant with the rx anyway. i actually had newer glasses but my dumb rear end broke them when i took them off to (wait for it) look through a viewfinder

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

For the time being can you get a diopter for your viewfinder? I used one with my GW690 for a long time and loved it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Megabound posted:

For the time being can you get a diopter for your viewfinder? I used one with my GW690 for a long time and loved it.

i don't really have any problems with any of my gear, but i do need to adjust it if i've been using contacts. it's just more comfortable without glasses

usually i use a G85 or an a7iii so they're really evfs, but it's pretty much the same with actual glass anyway

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Décor :eyepop:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

'the gently caress are lens implants?

when I was younger I misunderstood what the optician told me and used to sleep in my contact lenses :stonk:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

rotor posted:

has anyone had any luck getting their eye dude to actually give you your prescription in writing?

in My Area optician salons run a promo where you get a full vision checkup for 2$ but the results are not divulged to you unless you buy the glasses from them too. that's the only time i was NOT given my prescription lol.

i usually just get a pair from them (i know computers are real but i really value being able to try on glasses) and a spare pair from Zenni or whatever

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
astigmata

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

'the gently caress are lens implants?

when I was younger I misunderstood what the optician told me and used to sleep in my contact lenses :stonk:

It's a soft contact lens. They cut a hole in your eye, roll the lens up and shove it in. The lens then unrolls and you've got a permanently installed contact lens.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

my optometrist's name is also Palmer Eldritch

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Midjack posted:

tell them you travel a lot and need to have your scrip so you can get a new pair made in prague or lagos or singapore if you lose yours. that shut down arguments instantly.

i do this for pretty much anything i need to cancel, just to escape out of the retention script.

"but what if we offer you..."
"i'm moving to Germany next month"
"oh ok. i've cancelled your subscription, you're good to go"

even companies that are also active in germany just shrug and let you go, because no one has any way to transfer a customer across borders

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

TW: lots of flashing/short images (of eyes lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxaPj19VnRA

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

:canada: :toot:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

woodstock noooo

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Looks like lightning's striking that robot again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gma5IUNMTn0

Better audio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe2G9SrS7gE

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Chris Knight posted:

TW: lots of flashing/short images (of eyes lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxaPj19VnRA

prior to his career as a prophet jesus was an opthamologist and he ding a ling dang'd my dang old lasik

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

you, waiting for a coworker to find an important file on their desktop

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

shouldn't have copied that floppy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
goddamnit Bob just give me the loving annual report already!

yoyodyne
May 7, 2007

Sorry everyone has to see this again, and necromancy, but after seeing this several times over the years I only now noticed the mustache whiskers going into his mouth, and for my own good, I feel like I had to say something. I'm so sorry, everyone

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

yoyodyne posted:

Sorry everyone has to see this again, and necromancy, but after seeing this several times over the years I only now noticed the mustache whiskers going into his mouth, and for my own good, I feel like I had to say something. I'm so sorry, everyone

welcome to flavourtown!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
https://i.imgur.com/UWqm2Cs.mp4

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Camera should cut back to the car exploding at the end, 4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

cya l8r shitlords