Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I for one am glad that raids are not multi-hour affairs like they were in WoW and such. I don't have the energy for that sort of thing anymore and it's nice that the endgame group content is relatively accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

my last straw with wow was finding out that not only was the continuation of all the plot I was in the middle of gated behind a mythic, it was also a mythic that I couldn't even access because I was a month behind on the daily grind to get geared up to that level because I spent that month leveling a character and doing the first part of the then-current expansion's plot. just some grade-a king-hell gently caress you poo poo

and that wasn't even endgame, it was like barely into the expansion plot at all (as far as I could tell)

ff14 lets you play the goddamn game without making you feel bad for imperfect play, and for that I am grateful

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Relyssa posted:

I for one am glad that raids are not multi-hour affairs like they were in WoW and such. I don't have the energy for that sort of thing anymore and it's nice that the endgame group content is relatively accessible.

I enjoy the existence of Blackrock Spire/Depths as these big areas you kinda find your own way through as a dungeon run, but man those got tedious. Have to plan out with the group where you're actually going, someone would need "just one thing" on a detour early on and then they'd leave...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I've said this before maybe in this thread but yeah there's a gulf between how dungeons work in most video game and tabletop RPGs and how they ideally work in MMOs, and it's because with the latter you're just trying to get this poo poo done

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

When should I worry about materia.

Don't worry about optimizing it, but if you've got some on hand it never hurts to stick it in your free slots, even while leveling. Crit is the king stat so prioritize that, direct hit or determination if the item is already crit capped. Until you get to grade 9 or 10 materia, you can remove them for free with just two clicks. And having materia melded makes your gear spiritbond faster, so you get even more materia to use or sell.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fister Roboto posted:

And having materia melded makes your gear spiritbond faster, so you get even more materia to use or sell.
This, I did not know.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

girl dick energy posted:

This, I did not know.

Oh yeah, it's not as good as it used to be (they've changed spiritbinding several times since 2.X) but slapping materia into your gear, maybe downing a spiritbond potion (available at your GC) and the materia will come as long as you're doing at level content for your gear.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kwyndig posted:

Oh yeah, it's not as good as it used to be (they've changed spiritbinding several times since 2.X) but slapping materia into your gear, maybe downing a spiritbond potion (available at your GC) and the materia will come as long as you're doing at level content for your gear.

The GCs also have gear you can wear that increases your spiritbond rate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

euphronius posted:

When should I worry about materia.
you can buy lower-level materia off the ah for very, very cheap, so there's no real harm in buying stacks of it and just slapping it in to make dungeons go slightly faster. anything you wind up not using you can just sell back, so this'll only cost you maybe 10-12k gil at the end of the day and probably save you a couple hours.

id most recommend this for tanks because theyre the only class gear can actually make a big difference in leveling comfort for.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

You can also save yourself the minutes and menus and just not interface with those systems at all. But it's free stats so might as well.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Often at low levels you'll be synched down for content, because it's easy to overlevel, and any time the ilvl of a piece of gear is synched all attached materia is disabled. So that's another reason why melding isn't so important before level cap

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah, im mostly thinking of stormblood/shb msq where if youre rushing through it youll be both at level and probably somewhat undergeared. the second half of stormblood especially ive had some incredibly squishy tanks pop up in my roulettes.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

hexwren posted:

FF14 raiding

This is a pretty good overview, but I also want to mention that each expansion's endgame also comes with a extra set of trial fights, also with its own story and cutscenes. These are a little bit different than the raids storywise as they more focus on the individual things that you are fighting rather than a larger overarching storyline (for instance, the primals that you have been fighting in ARR). In ARR they are baked into the MSQ by default its gonna be a shocker, but you fight more primals, but they are split out from the pack in later expansion content. They also have extreme versions as well.

For the future expansions, you get to fight...

HW: The Warring Triad from FF6, also worth doing for some extra setup plot for later
StB: The Four Lords, some figures from Japanese Doman mythology
ShB: The Weapons from FF7 with some extra Gundam style mecha drama on top
EW: The Four Fiends from FF4. vvv Thanks! vvv

Sometimes these also unlock some extra dungeons and solo trials as well. Like your solo Gundam fight against Sapphire Weapon which is one of the coolest solo duties in the game

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 9, 2022

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

EW: It's the Four Fiends, though we only have Barbarccia released right now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Got to my first credits roll . :toot:

Good game going to keep going .

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Been enjoying NG+ as I get back into groove of things. The pacing does feel a little breezier with all those culled quests and not having to worry about pacing with the level and gear requirements. It's fun hearing the 2.0 voice cast again even if quite a few of them sound... off. I do miss Merlwyb's old VA but the new one is pretty good whenever Square remembers they have a badass pirate mom character in their game and give her something to do in the story and have some voiced lines.

Doing NG+ also helped shake the rust off with low-stakes fights. I'll do the dungeons as they pop up as required to get into playing with others as part of a group again. For some reason I always start off in MMOs pretty shy but once I get into them I end up queuing for groups near constantly and hit raids one after another.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Saya's adventures continue! Part VII.

Previous Posts:
Part 1: Working through the City-State MSQ and Arcanist Job Quests
Part 2: Side-Quests and Starting off with the Pointy End of the Stick (Beginning Lancer)
Part 3: Saya gets dumped and so heads to the Waking Sands to continue the MSQ
Part 4: Finishing Lancer, starting BLM/Thaumautaruge.
Part 5: Started & Finished Pugilist, Finished Thaumautaruge
Part 6: Finished Archery Guild Shenanigans

Today Saya continues the MSQ! Unlocks some PvP and at long lasts gets her chocobo.

"Huff, puff, augh, Okay! I'm here! Sorry I'm late! I had a thing at the Archery guild! Did I miss anything? Hagh... God I'm tired..."

"Gah! Who the #*%&! are you!?"

"Alright, now remember, 'No Garlean'"

We encounter our first magitek mech and beat up the Imperials, and we rescued a Lalafel!

Saya makes her way back to Limsa to be sworn into the Maelstrom.

A tempting choice but Saya isn't that thirsty.

Wait, spoke too soon. :allears:

Finally the respect Saya deserves.

Saya gets her chocobo.

Saya then returns to the Waking Sands to check in, the Sylph's are apparently rustling in the bushes of Gridania.

He lost his brother :smith:

You're going to have to be more specific than that Thancred, do you have any idea how little that narrows it down?

This lady is being really sus hiding in this dudes shadow.

In East Shroud I go to the Sylph's and do the traditional dance.

But just as I'm making progress an anchor appears to slow me down, two of em in fact.

Saya then has to rebuild the broken bridge with the Sylphs by killing some Imperials who are trapezing about with their filthy footsteps.

While Yda and Papalymo are having a thunk, the next MSQ quest sends me all the way back to Limsa Lominsa for some reason!?

This turns out to not be that bad as it lets me start up the Summoner and Scholar Job questlines.

The world's toughest Lalafel or the Smartest Maurader?

"I ask you, are you my master?"

I meet Y'sthola's sister, who is adorbs.

And we go off to a LITERAL DESERT, the thirst is real.

I am now a summoner, and just in time for a lead to come up, I return to Buscaron's in the South Shroud where we discover signs that the Elder Sylph
were spotted nearby in some cave, where we come across an Ascian! Lahabrea! The fiend!

"Hello Darkness, my old ''friend''"

I did this duty with my friends who aggro'd the boss by accident, so I dunno how to tell you this Lahabrea, but...

Omae wa, shinderu

We saved the Sylph Elder! Who looks like a Disney/Kingdom Hearts character.

"Yare yare da-ze"

But my collection grows at least :3:

Really like the shot composition here.

Somewhere along the way we meet a troubled yoot, who is omg rude. :mad:

D'aw but he's sowwy :3:

I wrap up helping the Sylph's to follow a lead regarding the appearance of Ascians if I recall correctly.

Alphinaud lampshades that his sister has been unceremoniously put on a bus.

Saya sees him leave and like, I question her tastes.

Oh no! He also lost his brother! :smith:

What.

This absolute unit signs a letter of introduction for me to his girlfriend which I'm sure will work out well for everyone.

Bunch of Alamighans touching grass.

After that I do some side-raids with my other D&D friends.

Saya's just looking at what they got and wondering what she lacks :D

I pet my friends raccoon.

We start doing Sunken Temple of Qarn, which I'm sure will go fine.

Oh no! :ohdear:

As it turned out, we wiped twice! Until we got the hang of the "DOOM!" debuff/mechanics for Qarn, but we figured it out in the end and got to this boss who
wondered in from Elden Ring:

Next time we delve into the seedy underbelly of Limsa Lominsa and join up with the Rogue's Guild!

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

It's not a real Qarn adventure until you get a tank that eats a Final Sting to the face

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Thanks for all the raid advice, ran the first two sections of the first raid tonight and had a blast. Everyone was super nice even as I did dumb poo poo and got half the party killed too :v:

e: actually one more question regarding Coils specifically, is there any reason I need to actually play it myself (barring like specific drops and whatnot) or am I good to just find a youtube video with all the cutscenes and experience its story that way?

quiggy fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 10, 2022

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

You get a couple of tiny bits of dialog later on acknowledging you did it. That’s about it. The gear is all long since outdated.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kinda cool glam options, though! (Also Fashion Report asks for it occasionally, if that's a thing you care about.)

I got the unsynched carry through Coils and would recommend it as a fun experience, with dungeons that are neat and atmospheric even if you're blazing through, but if you'd rather just watch a cutscene collection, that's totally reasonable. Nothing in-game will be particularly concerned if you did it or not.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

quiggy posted:

Thanks for all the raid advice, ran the first two sections of the first raid tonight and had a blast. Everyone was super nice even as I did dumb poo poo and got half the party killed too :v:

e: actually one more question regarding Coils specifically, is there any reason I need to actually play it myself (barring like specific drops and whatnot) or am I good to just find a youtube video with all the cutscenes and experience its story that way?

It's also just kinda neat to fill in the blank of what Alphinaud's sister was up to, and establish that relationship with your WoL.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

If nothing else, the ramifications of Bahamut’s rampage are still pretty ever-present through 2.0 so it’s cool to learn some additional details on how that went down, and give some closure to the ARR transition.

(E: though obviously you can still get this second-hand via YouTube, as was mentioned.)

Roach Warehouse fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 10, 2022

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Double post, but I keep finding cool katanas despite not leveling SAM yet, and drat it’s tempting me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hahaha finally got the reaction I was fishing for from one of my friends after they saw my class/job list: "What the gently caress!? :psyduck:"

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Roach Warehouse posted:

Double post, but I keep finding cool katanas despite not leveling SAM yet, and drat it’s tempting me.

that's how they get you. "looks good, well it's only a few levels to wear it so. huh that looks p sweet too, maybe just a few more levels..."

you need a caster, healer, tank, ranged, and melee for the role quests anyway. and since you're already gearing for one... and then suddenly you have all 90's

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 10, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hahaha finally got the reaction I was fishing for from one of my friends after they saw my class/job list: "What the gently caress!? :psyduck:"
Can you take a screenshot so we can see it too

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

girl dick energy posted:

Can you take a screenshot so we can see it too

For context as I mentioned previously is that they keep pushing me to do the MSQ while I'm constantly getting distracted by side content :D

So the fact I have leveled nearly every DoW/DoM ARR class/job to 30, and have also basically completed every area side quest below level 30 instead of doing the MSQ is what's riling them up. :haw:

I have a Level 43 Summoner while I was still level 28-30 in the MSQ (just completed Haukke Manor for reference), so to their estimation I have no need to go leveling other classes jobs.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

As long as you're having fun, I guess!

The ignoring of Gladiator/Paladin made me snicker, though. (To put it in a way that avoids spoilers: The Paladin job quests leave a bad taste in a lot of players' mouths, at a point in the story where switching to another tank job is both easy and fun.)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

girl dick energy posted:

As long as you're having fun, I guess!

The ignoring of Gladiator/Paladin made me snicker, though. (To put it in a way that avoids spoilers: The Paladin job quests leave a bad taste in a lot of players' mouths, at a point in the story where switching to another tank job is both easy and fun.)

I am! To be clear I am not trying to avoid the MSQ or anything, I think subconsciously because I've seen a LP of ARR & HW already I'm drawn a bit more towards side-quests and the Job/Class quest lines because the LP'er didn't do them as they were a MSQ-Story focused Let's Play; except for Dragoon as it was HW relevant. So Side-Quests/Job/Class Quests are all 100% new content to me.

I also have a sort of assumption that by having multiple classes available as I start to get ahead of the level curve for the MSQ in one class I can always switch to another and effectively level it and be able to switch them up as I want.

Also my friend group is the kind that gets just ever so a little just a little bit toxic sometimes so there's a troll-y part of me that has a bit of a grin by poking that bear.

But mainly I'm enjoying my little Let's Play-esque write ups I'm posting here and I currently got about 160 images to go through (the past two updates I made sure to try to keep it shorter to avoid my posts being a pain to scroll through, so right now for about every 10-15 images I keep maybe 1-2) for what I've done of the Rogue's Guild plotline, the Maurauders, what I've done of the MSQ so far, and the Conjuror's plotline so far, and I didn't want to get unmanageably too far ahead while still aiming to post at most like twice a week while keeping the post-length reasonable.

I hadn't realized Gladiator/Paladin was possibly infamous, I just avoided it because even Conjuror was getting close to the line to what I'd consider to be Out of Character for Saya, Paladin albeit my point of reference is D&D even more so. I don't particularly see Saya as religious, Crystal Goddess notwithstanding.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I hadn't realized Gladiator/Paladin was possibly infamous, I just avoided it because even Conjuror was getting close to the line to what I'd consider to be Out of Character for Saya
You dodged a bullet while bending over to pick up a quarter. Nice.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm not seeing a DoH/DoL list where everything's at least 10 levels over MSQ, so honestly, you could be doing much worse

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

quiggy posted:

There’s not really much difference between unsynching and watching the cutscenes, but there’s some really cool moments in game, you’ll get a bunch of tomestones and it’s a bit better an experience.

The lore stuff fills a lot of gaps so I’d encourage people do it, though it’s not going to radically change anything beyond context for later stuff.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gladiator is a fine questline, and Paladin is a great class even if the quesltine sucks.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
ARR Paladin questline is fine as well, although not great by any means (and also stars a real boneheaded twerp).

HW Paladin is not just bad, it's baffling. What is this? Who wrote this? The heck does this have to do with being a paladin? Why is the twerp still here?

It was so dumb that SB noped out of it and sent you right back to the Gladiators.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
imo what makes HW PLD so utterly loving insulting is that it starts out with what could be a decent story about what being a Paladin actually means.
But then they throw all of that away and have you charge our JO crystals to empower a ceremonial sword

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The best part of HW PLD is the new Elezen guy being utterly disappointed with everything and ignoring it to make his own way as a hero.

At what point as a writer do you have the characters in a story announce that it sucks but you submit it anyway? After deadlines, I guess!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Pugilist has the best story of any class. Its transition into Monk is probably the biggest dip of quality imaginable.

Dropping a Rocky inspired story to follow a wood plank around sure was a choice. They really need to kill that boring loving monk guy off and bring back Harmon Holyfist and let me help him train to fight an old rival. Just adapt the rest of the Rocky films, plz.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Omg these post 2.0 quests sure are something aren’t they. Does this get better soon ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

2.x is the bit of FFXIV that I found the most boring and almost made me drop the game because there were a lot of boring quests to do. It does eventually get a lot better on the gearup to Heavensward, and late 2.x stuff is really good (and potentially some of the best in the game), so I would recommend pushing through.