Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Dang that seems like a big misstep from Meta

I know they'll shift some units to the enterprise crowd, but I'm not sure it's worth the word of mouth that their latest product is mediocre and overpriced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Carmack is doing his talk as a meta avatar with no face or eye tracking and it's running at like 10 frames per second. :lmao:

It's terrible.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://uploadvr.com/valve-job-vr-headset-deckard/
:pray:

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer

TIP posted:

I just read the controllers only have 1-2 hours battery life and built in batteries. :lmao:

Balls. Guess I'll wait for the removal batts version then.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Bondematt posted:

I'd assume some of this will trickle down to the Quest 3 In a year or two.

In a vacuum it's not a stinker, but the cost for what it is is too high compared to a $400 Q2.

akadajet posted:

idk... maybe if the software is good and it comes to the US. on paper it does just about everything I care about with the quest pro but better.

I guess I am also a little smug about the fact that once in a blue moon, there is a product that releases in EU before it does in the US. Surely it'll be only a matter of time though. The Pico seems to do everything I want a headset to do -- much nicer optics than the CV1 I had, can be used for PCVR and standalone, lightweight, can be connected to PC wirelessly. And it's pretty! Only downside seems to be that if you want to connect a headset, you need some sort of USB adapter.

For the Quest - the price tag is in line with what people had expected imo. And yes sure, it's tailored to Enterprise needs. But I guess many people and I didn't expect that a focus on Enterprise would prevent it from also being a viable option for leisure. Like, 1-2 hours battery life? Same old display? That benefits no one.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

TIP posted:

I just read the controllers only have 1-2 hours battery life and built in batteries. :lmao:

I get that running all the SLAM calculations and cameras in the controllers eats batteries but goddamn, if the battery life is that short they really needed to make the batteries swappable at the very least.

...that can't possibly be true, right? RIGHT?!

So the reason they went rechargeable is cause it just sucks down batteries doing its own tracking?

I mean if that's the case then I'm going to have to find another xmas gift for myself.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Carmack is explaining right now why dynamic foveated rendering is a pipe dream, for now. :(

--

A benchmark site with rtx 4090 and vr games
https://babeltechreviews.com/rtx-4090-performance-45-games-vr-pro-apps-benchmarked/4/

--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0_nbW6tVc0

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 11, 2022

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Wait.. so is the Quest Pro not meant for games at all?

I just realized that, in addition to not coming with a charging stand or a link cable, it also doesn't come with the "full light blocker" (shipping December!)..

Like if I order this am I not meant to play Beat Saber on it?

EDIT: oh wait, it does apparently come with a charger - still wonder about suitability for games

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 11, 2022

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Snackmar posted:

I just realized that, in addition to not coming with a charging stand or a link cable, it also doesn't come with the "full light blocker" (shipping December!)..

EDIT: oh wait, it does apparently come with a charger - still wonder about suitability for games

I'm sure it'll have airlink built in and the virtual desktop guy will probably get in on it too, assuming he can.

Battery packs can extend the hmd time, but jeeze two hours is nothing, and that's the long estimate.

$1580 with the pretty much necessary fir gaming gasket lmao

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I wouldn't be rushing to pre-order this thing if I only wanted a better device to play beat saber with.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The one area where the headset seems very cool is as an AR development device, it's cheap in that realm!

I really hope they allow access to the depth data and the 3d reconstructions along with good built in occlusions. I'd love to tool around with some high quality AR stuff.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Unless I misunderstood, Carmack said a little while ago regarding using a Pro as a desktop replacement: we're not there yet.

He also said he expected to HATE the fact that it's not fully-closed & open on the bottom, but it he ended up not minding it and actually finding it useful when doing work.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

TBQH if the headset worked out-of-the-box without installing any software (like a monitor), I might even consider saving up for it. I know from experience that being in VR helps me to shut out distractions when I want to get work done. So it might actually improve my work life. Unfortunately our work laptops are 100% IT-managed so we can't install anything on there.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

explosivo posted:

Yeah I wouldn't be rushing to pre-order this thing if I only wanted a better device to play beat saber with.

The only people who should honestly be ordering this thing are people who can light that money on fire and want to tinker with new tech, or devs who need to like, use the poo poo for something.

Otherwise its an overpriced Quest 2 with new controllers that don't have hot swappable batteries

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Really not feeling a ton of fomo sticking with the q2

Same. Heres to hoping HTCs announcement is better.

TIP posted:

I get that running all the SLAM calculations and cameras in the controllers eats batteries but goddamn, if the battery life is that short they really needed to make the batteries swappable at the very least.

Pretty much this.

I really respected the fact oculus kept the battery swappable. I'm super disappointed.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I laughed at the notion of Carmack having an internal post (where he criticized the idea of making their own OS) reported and deleted by their own moderation.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

TIP posted:

Man and here I was internally coping with “hmm maybe I’ll just buy the new controllers”.

This feels like Zuck Himself demanded they hit that sub-$1500 price point - right in the middle of one of those “we’re gonna have to fire a bunch of you” all-hands meetings.

GameGear battery life across the board, you can’t hot swap or fast charge, and the controllers only charge via pogo pins on the dock (so you can’t carry around or rig up an external battery).

Pico 4 stays winning in almost every relevant PCVR spec - for less than a third of the price.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
My wife just brought home a Quest 2 she got free through work cause she's awesome and I had some noob questions:

I heard you can play games like Skyrim and Fallout 4 in VR, and I own those games already, but it seems like you have to buy a whole new VR version of those games to play them in VR? Which I kinda understand.

But is there a way to play them in VR just using normal controllers? I see someone made a VR mod for Elden Ring - how is that?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
The only suprising thing about Quest Pro announcement was it having a slightly faster soc and lover refresh rate. Everything else was leaked, i think even before last years connect.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Leathal posted:

Quest 2 stays winning in almost every relevant PCVR spec - for less than a third of the price.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Red Rox posted:

My wife just brought home a Quest 2 she got free through work cause she's awesome and I had some noob questions:

I heard you can play games like Skyrim and Fallout 4 in VR, and I own those games already, but it seems like you have to buy a whole new VR version of those games to play them in VR? Which I kinda understand.

But is there a way to play them in VR just using normal controllers? I see someone made a VR mod for Elden Ring - how is that?

You might be able to jump through a bunch of hoops with something like VorpX to play the FO4/Skyrim flatscreen versions in VR but it’s absolutely not worth it.

Elden Ring VR mod is mostly an “isn’t this neat” kind of thing imo (and is extremely GPU heavy) but the same guy who makes it also has mods for a bunch of other games that are actually pretty awesome in VR. GTA5, RDR, Cyberpunk, Horizon, etc. They’re all up on his Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/realvr

If you have No Man’s Sky, that’s a pretty good/easy one to jump into for VR and it’s included with the base game.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Turin Turambar posted:

Carmack is explaining right now why dynamic foveated rendering is a pipe dream, for now. :(

huh, i thought psvr2 managed to pull this off?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Red Rox posted:

If you have and enjoyed Subnautica, try that, it’s stellar. No VR hands, just HMD+controller, but that’s fine really. There are a couple quality of life mods like the one that moves the PDA out from the tip of your nose, I think that’s the only one I’d call a requirement. But otherwise, it’s ready to wear.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Someone should design a small but powerful PC like thing like the Steam Deck that you can link a headset to, that'd be the ideal option. Not quite standalone but make a PC that only weighs like 5lbs and it's close enough

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm curious about the PS2 VR's foveated rendering myself, and how it gels with eye tracking.

I knew eye tracking was actually a pretty hard problem to solve (it's not too hard to get mediocre results, but it's very hard to get really great results) because you're using cameras to look at a pupil (which is actually an open space, not a thing in itself) which is not even always a consistent size or shape, and moves (and wiggles!) in weird and unpredictable ways on top of it all. Then you want to take that image and normalize it enough to turn it reliably into "the user is looking HERE."

But that's not even what you need for foveated rendering! You don't want to know where the eye is looking right now, you want to know where the eye WILL BE when the poo poo you're rendering hits the screen. And getting it wrong looks visibly, obviously hosed up.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Snackmar posted:

Charging that much for a facial interface it ought to be shipping with is so absurd. They made it abundantly clear this isn’t meant for regular folks with real use cases.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

punished milkman posted:

huh, i thought psvr2 managed to pull this off?

I've read many accounts of people using PSVR2 and describing the dynamic foveated rendering as "not that noticeable", which to me sounds like "not good enough".

Doesn't seem like everyone notices it, not sure if that's down to individual perceptions or it working better for some people's eyes than others, but in my mind (and probably Carmack's) if you're gonna have dynamic foveated rendering as a feature that games rely on it needs to be pretty much perfect for everyone.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Foveated isn't a word you guys are trying to gas light me.
Foreverially VRated and loving it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Opopanax posted:

Foveated isn't a word you guys are trying to gas light me.
Foreverially VRated and loving it

My posts are brought to you via bloviated rendering.

akadajet fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 12, 2022

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Leathal posted:

You might be able to jump through a bunch of hoops with something like VorpX to play the FO4/Skyrim flatscreen versions in VR but it’s absolutely not worth it.

Elden Ring VR mod is mostly an “isn’t this neat” kind of thing imo (and is extremely GPU heavy) but the same guy who makes it also has mods for a bunch of other games that are actually pretty awesome in VR. GTA5, RDR, Cyberpunk, Horizon, etc. They’re all up on his Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/realvr

If you have No Man’s Sky, that’s a pretty good/easy one to jump into for VR and it’s included with the base game.

Ah right my PC specs might be a bottleneck. I think my graphics card was on the low side for normal Elden Ring.

Thanks for the No Man's Sky tip that looks pretty cool. I have Star Wars Squadrons too, is that VR supported already?

Bad Munki posted:

If you have and enjoyed Subnautica, try that, it’s stellar. No VR hands, just HMD+controller, but that’s fine really. There are a couple quality of life mods like the one that moves the PDA out from the tip of your nose, I think that’s the only one I’d call a requirement. But otherwise, it’s ready to wear.

Ah yeah I was thinking of getting that on Switch but VR would be WAY better. Thanks!

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Snackmar posted:

$120 for a loving USB3 cable?

Jesus christ.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B096X9W4J4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

There you go man, I saved you $100 and you get two of them.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Red Rox posted:

I have Star Wars Squadrons too, is that VR supported already?

Yep, too bad the game sucks. But it is pretty rad to hop into a few of the craft and mess around. A-wing is cozy.

If that’s your bag, though, of course Elite: Dangerous is an option, and/or DCS.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Opopanax posted:

Someone should design a small but powerful PC like thing like the Steam Deck that you can link a headset to, that'd be the ideal option. Not quite standalone but make a PC that only weighs like 5lbs and it's close enough

This is what the Valve Deckard is rumoured to be, what with the Steam Deck out and about and Valve all about VR still.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Bedurndurn posted:

$120 for a loving USB3 cable?

Jesus christ.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B096X9W4J4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

There you go man, I saved you $100 and you get two of them.

That's $120 in Canadian money, and also it's a much longer and thinner fiber optic cable with nice touches like a 90 degree connector so that the cable can run be run back along the headset nicely instead of sticking straight out.

From everything I've heard it's pretty nice, but yeah, pricy. There are some cheaper options that are decent but those 10 foot long cables seem like a bad choice.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I have a feeling I'm gonna have a "I told you so" moment. With all this Meta+Microsoft co-operation happening, it won't be long until you'll be able to plug a Quest into an Xbox.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

$120 Canadian for a high quality fiber optic custom usb3 cable is the least surprising, least ridiculous thing announced today.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Didn't they release that years ago

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

Didn't they release that years ago

Yes and it still seems to be cheapest active optical usb cable sold.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Super happy the Quest Pro does nothing for me, lmao.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

MikusR posted:

Yes and it still seems to be cheapest active optical usb cable sold.

I think Kiwi has one that beats it on price, but it wasn't by much.

That being said just use virtual desktop(or airlink) with a battery pack on the back of the Quest 2. VD works way better than the link cable anyway.

Edit: Oh better than I remember, $50. LOL at a whopping 5 reviews though.

https://www.amazon.com/KIWI-design-...cs%2C135&sr=1-3

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
I loved Quest 1 and grabbed Quest 2 the day it released. I even bought like 3 others for my family! Its the new Wii! Nothing about the Quest Pro tempts me at all even if the price was identical to the Q2. That is insane they would even put this thing out; a) heavier b) less battery life c) built in batteries d) questionable eyeball scanning features no one asked for or needs e) at a price that screams rip off.

All they had to loving do was make a Quest 2 but lighter, more comfortable and balanced, increase the visual quality and FOV.

I mean, at least the RTX 4090 can justify $1600, that's a piece of tech that's going to push some pixels for sure, but comparing this to something as "useful" as the 4090 at the same price point is bonkers.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 12, 2022