Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
jms has said that they were supposed to be lovers but that the censors weren't a fan of it and i think he's said that scene with her reaching for her in bed was as far as they were allowed to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
It was at least 10 years ago that I last watched through this and I did not catch it. DS9 is still leading for queer content in 90's scifi

\/\/gently caress me, i used to watch supermarket sweep in 1991

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 27, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

1990s Very Good Friends!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh79QUiU4Qo

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Horizon Burning posted:

jms has said that they were supposed to be lovers but that the censors weren't a fan of it and i think he's said that scene with her reaching for her in bed was as far as they were allowed to go

Claudia Christian has also said that they could only imply the relationship on the show but yes, Talia and Susan were a bit old for sleepovers. And it's strongly hinted in the same episode that both Talia and Lyta are bi.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

One of the things I like about the B5 vision of the future is that nobody ever says bi or gay. In that season 4 episode where Marcus and Steven have to pretend to be a married couple, nobody ever says "but I'm not gay," they go right to mother-in-law jokes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Soonmot posted:

It was at least 10 years ago that I last watched through this and I did not catch it. DS9 is still leading for queer content in 90's scifi

\/\/gently caress me, i used to watch supermarket sweep in 1991

I think Xena wins this one, but only on the basis that it's technically scifi in a few (gay!) episodes.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well, if you're doing that weekend syndicated show block in general, yeah, 100% Xena. Which still held up when I rewatched it a few years back, even though I didn't care for the final season that much

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

SlothfulCobra posted:

But if anyone in this universe isn't loving, it's Londo and G'kar.

You cited the two characters who had inferred orgies.

Unless you mean with each other.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think Xena wins this one, but only on the basis that it's technically scifi in a few (gay!) episodes.

Xena def went further than Hercules, a show about two big men who travel around in leather pants and vests and continually cockblock each other but they're definitely not an item.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 29, 2022

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Didn't Ivanova confess to Delenn that she loved Talia?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mark Pedowitz, the CW executive who Straczynski cited as a "huge fan" of B5 and who was championing the reboot project, is exiting the network as part of the Nexstar takeover. This does not bode well for the reboot.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Making a B5 hashtag trend for a day isn't enough. Gotta spam that whenever WB or CW posts something to social media.

I call it "The Skate4 Gambit"

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Does B5 have lovely network luck, or what? First PTEN folds while B5 is on the air forcing the compressed fourth season and meandering fifth, then TNT meddles with Crusade and then shoots it in the head halfway through it's first season, and now the CW collapses BEFORE B5 can even shoot a pilot? :sigh:

That's some tough sledding right there.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The B5 curse is real.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jng2058 posted:

Does B5 have lovely network luck, or what? First PTEN folds while B5 is on the air forcing the compressed fourth season and meandering fifth, then TNT meddles with Crusade and then shoots it in the head halfway through it's first season, and now the CW collapses BEFORE B5 can even shoot a pilot? :sigh:

Yep, it is absolutely loving cursed, on top of the I.P. rights being owned by different parties that want to either resurrect it, or bury it, and refuse to let anything else happen with it. Like say a video game license that would be amazing.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I'm not very good at space games. how did the plot of I've found her play out?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

jng2058 posted:

It's not just that TNT killed Crusade halfway through the first season: they killed it after the SciFi Channel had finalized their budget for the year.

If Crusade had been cancelled sooner, they might've been able to pick it up.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Given what Nexstar has been doing no B5 at all may be better than B5 under their direction. “Canceled after one season produced more cheaply than the original show” isn’t my idea of success.

Given that WB Discovery has its own issues right now, a reboot might be ill-fated anyway.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
As sad as it is, it's not like the precedent set baby Crusade or Legend of the Rangers is very strong.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Yeah if and when the shoe finally drops and JMS breaks the news that the reboot is dead, I won't be too broken up about it. B5's original run was some of the best TV I've ever seen, but given how pants-on-head idiotic WB/HBO leadership has proven itself, it would've had a super slim chance of being actually good

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
ugh show should have ended with season 4, I'm two episodes into season 5 and I'm just not feeling it anymore.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Stick with it. The first half of S5 is pretty weak but the second half delivers on everything set up beforehand.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Soonmot posted:

ugh show should have ended with season 4, I'm two episodes into season 5 and I'm just not feeling it anymore.

JMS got dealt a series of just awful blows back to back at the start of season 5, including housekeeping at a hotel tossing his notes for the season, and then Claudia Christian's status with the show being unclear until extremely late. The first half ain't great, but it recovers in the back half once he gets his bearings. Just in time to have everything totally go to hell for Crusade.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
It's a spoiler, because it's from Season 5, Episode 16: "And All My Dreams, Torn Asunder", but this is always the scene I think of when people talk about S5 not being as good as S4.

quote:

Now, we gave you a promise.
And we are bound by that promise.
And drat you for asking for it.
And drat me for agreeing to it!
And drat ALL OF US TO HELL,
BECAUSE THAT IS EXACTLY WHERE WE'RE GOING!

(God, I love this scene.)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Part of the problem with s5 is that they didn't know they were going to get a 5th season, so they wrapped everything up as much as possible in s4, and even filmed the series finale.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Clouseau posted:

JMS got dealt a series of just awful blows back to back at the start of season 5, including housekeeping at a hotel tossing his notes for the season, and then Claudia Christian's status with the show being unclear until extremely late. The first half ain't great, but it recovers in the back half once he gets his bearings. Just in time to have everything totally go to hell for Crusade.

It started even before that. Renewal for Season 5 wasn't certain at all for way too long into Season 4, so what we got had about four or five extra episodes worth of major arc crammed in that were originally intended for the start of the fifth and final season (S4's finale was supposed to be "Intersections in Real Time" - chew on that for a season break, fans!).

So then Season 5 had to be stretched, but the original notes were lost, and then they had to rewrite an arc meant for Ivanova for another character. It's a wonder it got back on its feet by the back half of the season, really.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The telepath arc is pretty bad, the centauri arc is really good. Unfortunately I think they don't cleanly separate into episodes for easy skipping if you're not feeling it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They don't, but even in the episodes with the telepaths most of the time they're only a B plot. There's probably only like five hours total of Byron poo poo.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That's 6 more hours of Byron poo poo than is needed or desired.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also, I don't know if this is a controversial opinion, but I did not like Marcus, especially how he seemed to be there to refute Ivanova being gay, I do not get bi vibes from her at all. Marcus feels like someone Whedon would write, and while I like Buffy/Angel and there is some quipiness in B5, he just didn't seem to fit.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
The Byron stuff isn't particularly good, but it is an interesting concept. I still followed it and enjoyed it as it happened. Honestly my only issue with telepath stuff in the show is how DBZ-like their abilities are defined. Karate blackbelt degree nonsense.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The Centauri arc in Season 5 might be my favorite arc in the series.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Season 5 overall is good, but my extremely unpopular opinion is that I didn't like G'Kar and the direction he went in season 5. But apparently it doesn't matter too much since in the post show stuff, the Narn and Centauri eventually blow each up and they both go extinct? I can't recall if I am remembering that correctly anymore. Its been years.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

since in the post show stuff, the Narn and Centauri eventually blow each up and they both go extinct? I can't recall if I am remembering that correctly anymore. Its been years.

holy poo poo what? I never watched Rangers or anything past season 5, which I do not remember at all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Soonmot posted:

holy poo poo what? I never watched Rangers or anything past season 5, which I do not remember at all.

I recall there being a whole bunch of stuff about which races eventually go on to join the first ones, shadows, and Vorlons. Humans, Minbari, and some of the other older races eventually leave the universe. And then some races just continue to advance and grow, while others go extinct because they continued to make terrible choices.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

I said come in! posted:

Season 5 overall is good, but my extremely unpopular opinion is that I didn't like G'Kar and the direction he went in season 5. But apparently it doesn't matter too much since in the post show stuff, the Narn and Centauri eventually blow each up and they both go extinct? I can't recall if I am remembering that correctly anymore. Its been years.

I think that is maybe the implication of the way Humans ascend beyond known space in Deconstruction of Falling Stars with not a Narn or Centauri to be seen, BUT JMS himself disputed this interpretation fwiw.

Per Lurker's Guide:

quote:

Did the future humans leave the galaxy as the Vorlons did?
No point in leaving the galaxy; stars go nova, it only affects the immediate vicinity (big as that is). By this point, they were in the position of the Vorlons, and now have to take their (our) place guiding the younger races, the next wave, while not getting in the way and remembering the lesson of the shadow/vorlon conflict.
What about the other races?
The Minbari eventually make it; the Narn and Centauri do not. They don't die out, they just don't hit a state of First One-ishness, which is darn close to immortality (barring violence).
http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/us/guide/088.html

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Decades later, it's good to have an official answer to this finally. Thanks!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Soonmot posted:

also, I don't know if this is a controversial opinion, but I did not like Marcus, especially how he seemed to be there to refute Ivanova being gay, I do not get bi vibes from her at all.

She has an ex-boyfriend show up in Season 1.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Given that the First Ones - and the Vorlons in particular - aren't exactly people you should be emulating, I choose to believe that it's the Narn and Centauri who turned out to be the most enlightened ones, finally breaking that cycle, while humans and Minbari keep making the mistakes of the past.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Season 5 has a very definite point where the show starts getting towards being in a Better Place. You'll know it when you see it, and past that moment the season gets FAR better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
“All My Dreams Torn Asunder” to the end of S5 is some of the best stuff the show ever does, though there are a few moments in there that are pretty uncomfortable. But the whole season is really a very slow build-up of the main plot with the Telepath Crisis running as a B-plot until everything goes straight to Hell.

And I’m willing to accept the Telepath Crisis plot given where it moves Lyta as a character. After the way Pat Tallman got screwed over between the pilot and S1 by a WB executive who harassed her and didn’t get what he wanted, it’s good to see her get plot focus even if the show doesn’t fully land the implementation.