Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well as long as it's certified I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moltke
May 13, 2009
someone post the right wing youtube aggregate index of professional content reviewers

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Tosk posted:

I would recommend this fan edit to anyone who wants to see The Hobbit trilogy. It's the only way I experienced it and it greatly improves the experience. The gist is that it cuts the runtime of the whole thing by about half into two long parts, cuts out all the fanon characters and a lot of the extra bits, and rearranges the story to focus exclusively on Bilbo and mirror the book a lot more.

It certainly doesn't put the movies on the level of the LotR trilogy, but it improves them greatly imo

I'm gonna try this since it sounds like it salvages the film into an ok movie

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Re: Numenorean ship capacity. This has been bugging me for a few weeks and I finally found some time to sit down and do a bit of research to confirm my suspicions this bit of criticism wasnt well thought out.

Numenorean ships are clearly design inspired by variety of ancient Mediterranean vessels like Roman liburnas and galleys, Greek triremes, Byzantine dromons and a touch of long distance sailing ships like 15th century carracks.

Counting the shot of the Numenorean charge at the high end is 200 soldiers, low end 150-175. Its not the full 300 planned across 5 ships.

Theoretically based off technical naval history, a 100-120ft length vessel that wide(I did a rough measurement from the profile shot in ep 7) with those period design inspirations in mind could hold 60-70 people and 60-70 horses each with room to spare for supplies. Hulls are way bigger than you ever see and one of the few shots we get of a Numenorean ship breaching water shows the hulls are fairly large.

Sure there are some mathematical libterties being taken in regards to the exact possibility but its hardly the stretch its made out to be.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 11, 2022

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Ichabod Tane posted:

I'm gonna try this since it sounds like it salvages the film into an ok movie

Just in case, I edited the quoted post with an actual trailer because the video I had linked before looks like it's more about the technical details of how the edit was made

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Season 2 better give the dwarves a classical rendition of the Diggy Diggy Hole song as their theme.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Re: Numenorean ship capacity. This has been bugging me for a few weeks and I finally found some time to sit down and do a bit of research to confirm my suspicions this bit of criticism wasnt well thought out.

Numenorean ships are clearly design inspired by variety of ancient Mediterranean vessels like Roman liburnas and galleys, Greek triremes, Byzantine dromons and a touch of long distance sailing ships like 15th century carracks.

Counting the shot of the Numenorean charge at the high end is 200 soldiers, low end 150-175. Its not the full 300 planned across 5 ships.

Theoretically based off technical naval history, a 100-120ft length vessel that wide(I did a rough measurement from the profile shot in ep 7) with those period design inspirations in mind could hold 60-70 people and 60-70 horses each with room to spare for supplies. Hulls are way bigger than you ever see and one of the few shots we get of a Numenorean ship breaching water shows the hulls are fairly large.

Sure there are some mathematical libterties being taken in regards to the exact possibility but its hardly the stretch its made out to be.

I think maybe the people posting about it may not purely be coming from an angle of nautical accuracy

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Jaxyon posted:

I think maybe the people posting about it may not purely be coming from an angle of nautical accuracy

There’s a lot of criticism that is based in people being mad about the show for a reason and then grasping at straws to pretend like there was more to it, or because these days all media is dissected to death no matter what.

It’s okay to just not like the show, you don’t need to turn into cinemasins over it. The time compression going on is weird, or you don’t like one of the groups because you think they’re boring, or whatever.

When you’re counting how many horses can fit on the ships you’re already deep into “this isn’t that kind of show” territory.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

If we had an infographic with a cutaway of an Numenorean Galleon, with little descriptors like 50 horses here, along with grain for a one week voyage. Golden filigree trim around outer prow for wave breaking. Anti sea dragon depth charges, and so on, we'd be asking less questions.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

covidstomper58 posted:

If we had an infographic with a cutaway of an Numenorean Galleon, with little descriptors like 50 horses here, along with grain for a one week voyage. Golden filigree trim around outer prow for wave breaking. Anti sea dragon depth charges, and so on, we'd be asking less questions.

True. Because no one would be watching.

Well, I would. But you know what I mean.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's not the capacity of the Numenorian ships that was the issue, it was their ability to teleport up mountain streams.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

They didn't teleport up mountain streams, they sailed up the Anduin which is like Mississippi sized. Then they docked... uh... they deployed their landing craft and booms to unload all of the horses, then the horses charged up the mountain pass.
This one that Sam and Frodo walked up:

It was just a lot more of a gentle climb back then before the Numenoreans built Minas Ithil. They wanted it steep so like if Sauron's armies wanted to charge out of Cirith Ungol they'd have to do so carefully.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
they also sailed up the Morgulduin which, sure, why isn't it navigable (because tolkien describes armies issuing from minas morgul who don't use the river)

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

They just didn't show the advanced Numenorean hydrofoils deployed on the boats. It will be better in a later reveal.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

THE WORD IS OUT HOBBITS ARE THIN DWARFS

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Upsidads posted:

THE WORD IS OUT HOBBITS ARE THIN DWARFS

LINK?!?!

I still hold to my assertion, that hobbits are the product of the three older races. They sprung up between the migrations of the dwarves between Gundabad, The Iron Hills, Khazad Dum, the Eotheod, the Easterlings, The Rhovanion and the Numenoreans, the Silvan Elves from Greenwood and the Noldor on their side quests from Eriador and Lorien, even some Avari who just migrated west randomly.

covidstomper58 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 12, 2022

Moltke
May 13, 2009
true chad nautical understanders would be pointing out that a boat needs a long keel to sail on the open ocean so as not to roll over the first time a wave hits it, and a flat bottom in order to navigate a mississippi-sized river due to rocks and plants. an ocean-going ship thus wouldn't make it very far up river before it got stuck.

that boat stuff never bothered me tho

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Moltke posted:

true chad nautical understanders would be pointing out that a boat needs a long keel to sail on the open ocean so as not to roll over the first time a wave hits it, and a flat bottom in order to navigate a mississippi-sized river due to rocks and plants. an ocean-going ship thus wouldn't make it very far up river before it got stuck.

This is going to sound so quaint when we get the Numenorean ships tearing up the Morgulduin with huge rooster tails off their hydrofoils when they go to settle up with Sauron a second time while the Battle of Evermore plays.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's simple, the Numenoreans were also carrying riverboats (and poker tables) on their ocean ships

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
UGH i'm very upset about every detail of the numenorian voyage, immersion ruined, this show is the worst thing ever and gave my nana cancer

Moltke
May 13, 2009

covidstomper58 posted:

This is going to sound so quaint when we get the Numenorean ships tearing up the Morgulduin with huge rooster tails off their hydrofoils when they go to settle up with Sauron a second time while the Battle of Evermore plays.

i'm hoping for steampunk jet skis

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The show could get rid of a lot of nitpickers if it had just gone hard on that one Tolkien note where he considered writing the Numenoreans as being so advanced as to have airships and rifles.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Actually depicting steampunk Numenor would have ruled.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

covidstomper58 posted:

They didn't teleport up mountain streams, they sailed up the Anduin which is like Mississippi sized. Then they docked... uh... they deployed their landing craft and booms to unload all of the horses, then the horses charged up the mountain pass.
This one that Sam and Frodo walked up:

It was just a lot more of a gentle climb back then before the Numenoreans built Minas Ithil. They wanted it steep so like if Sauron's armies wanted to charge out of Cirith Ungol they'd have to do so carefully.

They didn't take Cirith Ungol, there are two passes there. The main one is the Morgul Vale, which the Hobbits couldn't take because it goes through Minas Morgul and is heavily patrolled. Mordor uses it to move armies out, as we see in that screenshot, and if armies can come out that way armies can go in as well.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Listen folks if Noah could fit every single animal on a single boat I think a few Numenorans and horsies can fit on three

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
for what its worth im watching the witcher season 2 and its worse in almost every way to jeff's power rings

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

its going to turn out that jeff wrote an original script that actually stuck to the books but his friend jj convinced him it wasnt epic enough

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hexel posted:

I would much rather have a compelling story and characters I care about than a show that looks good.

I don't care about any of these characters or plotlines is my whole problem with the show. Take something like old school Firefly which was made for cheap as poo poo in todays terms. The story was compelling and so were the characters. Money doesn't buy that necessarily.

For the most expensive show ever; I wanna be amazed and immersed and wowed and I'm not :colbert:

Ah yeah the antidote to our JJ Abrams, some good old Joss Whedon

covidstomper58 posted:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The barrels that Pharazon's kid cut open were full of wine?

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
I'm a marine engineer by trade and Numenorian ship design doesn't bother me one bit.

But Disa not having a beard? Unforgivable inaccuracy!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I hope the Power Ringers get Zords with their Rings.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Bruceski posted:

They didn't take Cirith Ungol, there are two passes there. The main one is the Morgul Vale, which the Hobbits couldn't take because it goes through Minas Morgul and is heavily patrolled. Mordor uses it to move armies out, as we see in that screenshot, and if armies can come out that way armies can go in as well.

There's also the way in that the Black Gate blocks, but that won't have been built yet. Might be a bit far north?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Unkempt posted:

There's also the way in that the Black Gate blocks, but that won't have been built yet. Might be a bit far north?

Was that not where the big dam was supposed to be.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 12, 2022

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
https://rop-map.com/

Good website to see the path travelled of each character. Thanks to the goon who posted it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

rkd_ posted:

https://rop-map.com/

Good website to see the path travelled of each character. Thanks to the goon who posted it.

This is great, very useful for people who are not mega lore nerds. Gonna send this to some friends.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Promo images from the finale.

https://twitter.com/LOTRROPBr/status/1580232997659639809
https://twitter.com/LOTRROPBr/status/1580233054685392896

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just started watching this show but I’m having a hard time following along because I’ve never read the books and when I watched the original movies I was of the age that I thought the elf surfing on a shield off of the elephant was cool, so I don’t really remember much of anything that happened in those movies either. Never read or watched the Hobbit.

Like I don’t know what the second age or whatever is other than it comes after the first age and before the third age, which I think the lord of the ring movies were set in. But I have no reference for how long ago this is from the movies or why I should care about any of the people in this show ie their relationship to the people from the movies.

(Like in HotD people were making fun of episode 1 explicitly saying that the show is set some few hundreds of years before Daenerys from GoT and also that the people we are following in the new show are the ancestors of the people we followed in GoT. This show didn’t have something as “dumb” as that and now I have no idea how far before lord of the rings the show is set or why I should care about any of these people who do or don’t show up in lord of the rings because they didn’t tell me who any of them are or why I should care.)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
New Rings and Realms is up, he's sitting in the dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nWfER50CLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just started watching this show but I’m having a hard time following along because I’ve never read the books and when I watched the original movies I was of the age that I thought the elf surfing on a shield off of the elephant was cool, so I don’t really remember much of anything that happened in those movies either. Never read or watched the Hobbit.

Like I don’t know what the second age or whatever is other than it comes after the first age and before the third age, which I think the lord of the ring movies were set in. But I have no reference for how long ago this is from the movies or why I should care about any of the people in this show ie their relationship to the people from the movies.

The show is bad at explaining this because the writing on it is very bad, hth