Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

He made one???

Not with the emperor though, right?

Yeah, they shot it but cut it. There are a fair amount of behind-the-scenes photos from it though.

The Emporer wasn't in it, why would he be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, they shot it but cut it. There are a fair amount of behind-the-scenes photos from it though.

The Emporer wasn't in it, why would he be?

The emperor was there in the miniseries version I'm almost certain. I know he's not in the book until the end.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The emperor was there in the miniseries version I'm almost certain. I know he's not in the book until the end.

He was never present in any iteration of the story. Irulan was added to the miniseries version and more or less completely shifts the entire focus of the sequence. In the book it's largely about navigating local Arrakeen politics and discerning spies.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Bugblatter posted:

He was never present in any iteration of the story. Irulan was added to the miniseries version and more or less completely shifts the entire focus of the sequence. In the book it's largely about navigating local Arrakeen politics and discerning spies.

ok he's definitely at the beginning of the Lynch version.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ok he's definitely at the beginning of the Lynch version.

Yeah, I'm just talking about the banquet.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I remember watching Part One and realizing that the audience has no idea that the bull head on the wall is the one that killed Leto's father. I'm wondering if they explain it in that scene like it does in the book.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So when is Villeneuve gonna have Paul get one of those voice guns?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Baron von Eevl posted:

So when is Villeneuve gonna have Paul get one of those voice guns?

Just as soon as the Weirding Way is ever mentioned.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bugblatter posted:

His insistence on one single finished cut is something I admire about him. It would be nice if his banquet scene leaked some day, though.

No it actually sucks and I want the six hour Momoa cut of Part 1. :colbert:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah it's dumb. I can appreciate it when a director is like "this is my preferred cut of the film" but I still wanna see the extra poo poo so just...let me?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It'll be on a collectors special edition bluray/uhd in like 5 years

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I remember watching Part One and realizing that the audience has no idea that the bull head on the wall is the one that killed Leto's father. I'm wondering if they explain it in that scene like it does in the book.

They talk about it during the cemetery scene.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

jeeves posted:

Just as soon as the Weirding Way is ever mentioned.

Javier Bardem mentions it toward the end when Jessica starts karate-ing his dudes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

karate nun

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I do wonder how they're going to represent the weirding way visually as it becomes more important. In Dunc 1 it's just Jessica sneaking up on a guy. They need to be able to say "hey this is the weirding way, here's how you do it, fremen."

I hope they just make it gunkata.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
As muchg as I enjoyed the first one, I do hope they switch fight choreographer/stunt coordinators for number 2, or at least listen to them a little more. None of the fights are bad, but also, none of them are really good. Which is kind of a shame when everything else is so very top notch.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Aside from the power rangers vision, the fights are all great?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I really like all the fights tbqh. I don't know why people say that

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kalel posted:

I really like all the fights tbqh. I don't know why people say that

Because, on a contiuum from Christopher Nolan (who is unwilling or incapable of stylising his action sequences) to Zack Snyder (Who sometimes stylises everything about his action sequences) I'd prefer Dune's scenes to be a little closer to Snyder's end than Nolan's. Again, I didn't dislike them or think they were bad. But I also didn't think they were particularly good. They worked perfectly well and clearly communicated each fight's story and significance. I'd just like them to be a bit more memorable in their own right.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Nah, hard disagree. The existing choreography has a realistic and brutal style and the more documentary coverage suits it. A more stylized Hollywood approach would be totally inappropriate. It’s part of what makes the power ranger scene so jarring.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah I don’t know, the “do you yield????” moment was awesome. Also Chani handing him the crysknife was extremely well done

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I thought the Paul v gurney fight was legitimately really good

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
The fights were great. I have no idea what people want, but hopefully they don't have any sway with the production lol

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Dr. Stab posted:

I do wonder how they're going to represent the weirding way visually as it becomes more important. In Dunc 1 it's just Jessica sneaking up on a guy. They need to be able to say "hey this is the weirding way, here's how you do it, fremen."

I always thought that was just the fremen term for anything particularly unfamiliar. The Shadout Mapes also describes that greenhouse Jessica finds in the book as a "weirding room".

What puzzles me slightly is that the fremen reverend mothers must have genetic memory of all kinds of martial arts training, so the bene gesserit school of kung fu must be a step more advanced than that.

The move Jessica does on Stilgar is described in the book more as an effective feint followed by some regular martial arts. She pretends to be a fainting, weak off-worlder for a second and then owns him.
Jamis also describes what Paul does as "weirding", and that was some even more basic poo poo: "Paul took the man beneath the sternum with a straight-hand jab, sidestepped and chopped the base of his neck, relieving him of the weapon as he fell"

It seems like the Fremen just aren't that skilled in hand-to-hand combat, but make up for it in tenacity and ~desert power~. Any kind of training makes them loving unstoppable.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I always took the whole weirding way to be just an extension of the Bene Gesserit absolute body control thing. So not so much particular moves or tricks as just extremely precise motions and maybe getting more strength out of your body than your average person could. Plus the ability to read your opponent very closely since the voice requires that as well. Which, admittedly, would be very hard to convey visually, outside of perhaps an expository training montage.

But then again in book Dune the ability to fight well was pretty much always connected to some innate quality/"purity" than any actual practical factors like training or equipment. Atreides fight better than Harkonnen because the Harkonnen are all hosed up hedonists. Sardaukar fight better than Atreides because they're just that much harder due to living on a deadly prison world. And Fremen fight better than Sardaukar because they're yet harder still from living on an even more hostile desert planet. In that context, the weirding way is really just another way of distilling this innate quality further.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Perestroika posted:

But then again in book Dune the ability to fight well was pretty much always connected to some innate quality/"purity" than any actual practical factors like training or equipment. Atreides fight better than Harkonnen because the Harkonnen are all hosed up hedonists. Sardaukar fight better than Atreides because they're just that much harder due to living on a deadly prison world. And Fremen fight better than Sardaukar because they're yet harder still from living on an even more hostile desert planet. In that context, the weirding way is really just another way of distilling this innate quality further.

Is it "purity," or is it just Jared Diamond-esque environmental determinism?

I.e., Giedi Prime < Caladan < Salusa Secundus < Arrakis

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Yeah it's dumb. I can appreciate it when a director is like "this is my preferred cut of the film" but I still wanna see the extra poo poo so just...let me?

Who do you want to make the cut? Do you just want every movie to have a release including everything that was filmed?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Who do you want to make the cut? Do you just want every movie to have a release including everything that was filmed?

No, but a Denis Villeneuve movie and Dune specifically? Yes gimme it all

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cessna posted:

Is it "purity," or is it just Jared Diamond-esque environmental determinism?

I.e., Giedi Prime < Caladan < Salusa Secundus < Arrakis

To which Frank Herbert responds with porque_no_los_dos.gif cause that's one of the really gross themes of the books.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

Dune is so foundational to modern sci-fi and fantasy that its concepts are ingrained into our culture, so it's funny how much of Dune we take for granted because everything else is also doing Dune stuff.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

If they're that opposed to making a new longer cut I'd honestly be happy with just watching the deleted scenes as a extra feature like they did back when dvds came out.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MacheteZombie posted:

No, but a Denis Villeneuve movie and Dune specifically? Yes gimme it all

Hey I was being sardonic but now that I think about I want every second of footage for like…Microwave Massacre

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xiahou Dun posted:

To which Frank Herbert responds with porque_no_los_dos.gif cause that's one of the really gross themes of the books.

Oh, absolutely. I am NOT a fan of that sort of thing.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Dune is so foundational to modern sci-fi and fantasy that its concepts are ingrained into our culture, so it's funny how much of Dune we take for granted because everything else is also doing Dune stuff.

Yep. I first read Dune in my late teens after the usual childhood as a Star Wars fan. The experience was basically turn to the next page, "holy crap Star Wars stole this too", repeat about 800 times.

Now the sequels, those are hallucinogenic enough that pop culture hasn't really managed to copy much.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

In actual production news, the Dune HBO series casting is underway. Emily Watson (Scientist from Chernobyl) and Shirley Henderson (who is most famous for being the ghost that creeps on Harry Potter in the bathroom) will both be Harkonnens. Indira Varma (mom of the sand snakes in GoT) is Empress Natalya, the wife of Emperor Corrino.

The show takes place about 10,000 years before the movie, when the spacing guild and Bene Gesserit are just getting set up. It's been a while since I read Herbert's timeline of in-universe history and I never touched Brian Herbert's stuff, so I don't recall much of what happened in that period. I guess the two Harkonnen leads come from Brian Herbert's Sisterhood of Dune novel, if anyone knows what that plot consists of.

The first two episodes are being directed by the guy who directed every episode of Chernobyl, which is a nice sign.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
My take on the sisterhood show is that Brian Herbert's work is utter poo poo that is best not acknowledged, but a strong showrunner and cast could turn it into something worth watching.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure the Atreides troops are skilled and dangerous because they're actually disciplined, motivated AND loyal as gently caress because the Duke puts effort into their welfare and making people like him, and attracts some of the best talent from across the galaxy, while the Harkonnens treat everyone like poo poo and their troops are probably poo poo at everything but war crimes. While the Sarduakar are the best of the best from a planet whose only real export is soldiers, and the Fremen have to live an incredibly disciplined, dangerous and violent lifestyle by default. Environmental, maybe, but also material conditions and context at play.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The Fremen also aren't complete primitives either, they have small scale industry capable of producing shockingly complex technology like the Stillsuits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hope it's much more "inspired by" on the creative spectrum than "adapted from" and hope wee Herbert stays the gently caress away creatively