Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dave Angel posted:

I was a bit annoyed at the magic dagger prophecy in the show but in the books Rhaegar must have picked it up from somewhere from his reading early in life.
Rhaegar was literally born during the fire at Summerhall. I guess that would be enough to interest him in why the gently caress his great-grandpa killed his great-uncle Duncan the Small and many other people, including Duncan the Tall.
Like GoT 's ending was loving terrible, but it wasn't because of the "prophecy" and Checkov's dagger. The whole last season is trash fire.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Given the success of the show, my guess is at least 5 seasons.

Lucerys plus blood and cheese season 2
Jace, Aegon getting maimed and falls of Kingslanding season 3
Rhaenyra and butchers ball season 4
Battle of Kingsroad and Aegon's death season 5.
Hell, given the pacing, I wouldn't be surprised if they extended it to 6 or 7.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I mean, I guess we'll see, but Fire & Blood is only roughly 750 pages long and only 500 of those are this story. There's enough in there to tell a good story, but I think even 4 seasons is pushing it.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I mean, I guess we'll see, but Fire & Blood is only roughly 750 pages long and only 500 of those are this story. There's enough in there to tell a good story, but I think even 4 seasons is pushing it.

F&B is more of a plot outline for a TV series than a script. So it being shorter is fine, as long as the show runners can fill in the blanks (unlike D&D)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

joepinetree posted:

Given the success of the show, my guess is at least 5 seasons.

Lucerys plus blood and cheese season 2
Jace, Aegon getting maimed and falls of Kingslanding season 3
Rhaenyra and butchers ball season 4
Battle of Kingsroad and Aegon's death season 5.
Hell, given the pacing, I wouldn't be surprised if they extended it to 6 or 7.

yeah I think 4-5 is probably the length it's gonna be

they have -a lot- of secondary/tertiary characters in the books with names like "Stark" and "Baratheon" that the show-watchers will care about whom they need to introduce. This is not gonna be a short series

Maybe Aegon dies halfway thru S5 and we get hour of the wolf as the finale

S5E9 could just be Cregan Stark executing/banishing the Aegon-assassins

Typo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 11, 2022

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I mean, the battle for the stepstones is what, an episode and change this season and was like 2 sentences in the book.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Rings of power is based on 100 pages of appendices and is supposed to be like 8 seasons

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I actually have a contrary idea of how the show will be structured. I think the creators are adapting the story in a manner that pulls the camera in on Rhaenyra & Alicent and making the story about them vs all the wider political implications. Very similar to how the new Dune movies are being adapted as a story about the journey of Paul as a character (and cutting many other characters to make room for that focus), I think this show will keep the focus tightly on these two women and ultimately make the story be about them. I don't think much of anything post-Rhaenyra will ever be in the show. I think she'll die at most in episode 7 of a 10 episode final season, with the last few episodes being the short rule of Aegon II before he is deposed and the installation of Aegon III. At that point Alicent will be exiled to her apartments for the rest of her short life and I'm reasonably sure the last portion of the show will be her passing her final days in there culminating with her death due to illness and her mumbling the lines I mentioned above about wanting to sit and read with Rhaenyra again. This is a story of these two women, and it won't go past when they stop being characters in it.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Sure, but every single character we spent any time with, (some infants excluded) save 2 (corlys and allicent) will die. Even with the laser focus on the two queens we'll still spend some time on them reacting to all this death.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Paddy Rules, Part 95: He's Getting Us Mushroom

quote:

"Yeah, it's written through the eyes of a dwarf character called Mushroom, who's a court jester. There's actually a banquet scene in 'House of the Dragon,' and I messaged [showrunner] Ryan Condal and said, 'Ryan, can we stick Mushroom in there somewhere?' I was fighting every minute to find an excuse to include Mushroom."

quote:

Considine also takes credit for a cameo we'll see later on in the season. "I'm responsible for Mushroom being in this show," he said, referring to the official court fool who was the "source" of lots of court gossip in George R.R. Martin's "The World of Ice & Fire," the book the series is based on.

"I'm taking that, because I'm looking through [the scripts] and I'm going 'Where's Mushroom? How come he's nowhere to be seen? He's got to be around here somewhere.' [Co-showrunner Ryan Condal] will say it was all his idea, but we managed to squeeze him in somewhere. And that was because of me."

Read More: https://www.slashfilm.com/969155/pa...m_campaign=clip

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

joepinetree posted:

Sure, but every single character we spent any time with, (some infants excluded) save 2 (corlys and allicent) will die. Even with the laser focus on the two queens we'll still spend some time on them reacting to all this death.

I agree. I just don't think we're going to get into the post-Dance stuff at the end of the book. Mostly the Aegon III and hour of the wolf stuff. Rhaenyra is not Ned Stark, they aren't going to drag too many episodes out past her death. Her death will be one of the last things in the show, followed shortly after with Alicent (either by showing time pass in her room, or just having her dramatically perish soon after her son dies).

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
they need to have The hour of the wolf just to have characters like Larys get their comeuppance, and to give the starks more heat for the jon snow show

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Jerkface posted:

they need to have The hour of the wolf just to have characters like Larys get their comeuppance, and to give the starks more heat for the jon snow show

yeah, the hour of the wolf is basically the equivalent of Fortinbras walking in at the end of Hamlet

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I agree. I just don't think we're going to get into the post-Dance stuff at the end of the book. Mostly the Aegon III and hour of the wolf stuff. Rhaenyra is not Ned Stark, they aren't going to drag too many episodes out past her death. Her death will be one of the last things in the show, followed shortly after with Alicent (either by showing time pass in her room, or just having her dramatically perish soon after her son dies).

I think the last scene in the series being the ending scene in the lore video (the marriage of aegon and jaehaera) would prob be the right place to end

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jerkface posted:

I kinda wish they would cast Sean Bean as Cregan Stark, first because the tv fans would be scared for his life every episode and second, he kinda deserves to go back south to king's landing just to cut heads and put them on spike. Also not to die in one of his role for once.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 11, 2022

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Toplowtech posted:

I kinda wish they would cast Sean Bean as Cregan Stark, first because the tv fans would be scared for his life every episode and second, he kinda deserves to go back south to king's landing just to cut heads and put them on spike. Also not to die in one of his role for once.

Sean Bean in a beard would be sick as gently caress Cregan Stark and seeing him with Ice again and just lopping heads, gently caress yea

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Typo posted:

I think the last scene in the series being the ending scene in the lore video (the marriage of aegon and jaehaera) would prob be the right place to end

Imo it should end on the reveal that Viserys II survived as that's a good moment for him, aegon iii, and alyn velaryon who we'll meet next season

edit: we also should get to see the smug, grasping Peakes

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

rip to this meme. i enjoyed it while it lasted. RIP to the capo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k8craCGpgs

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Mameluke posted:

Imo it should end on the reveal that Viserys II survived as that's a good moment for him, aegon iii, and alyn velaryon who we'll meet next season

edit: we also should get to see the smug, grasping Peakes

I think the dragonseeds will be S3 not S2

if S2 ends with Luke's death + initial Green victories + blood and cheese it will show Rhaenyra's situation to be utterly desperate, which setsup recruiting the dragonseeds in S3

Typo fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 12, 2022

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Lmao

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Typo posted:

I think the dragonseeds will be S3 not S2

if S2 ends with Luke's death + initial Green victories + blood and cheese it will show Rhaenyra's situation to be utterly desperate, which setsup recruiting the dragonseeds in S3

there is no way they'll hold luke dying a season. he's like the first major death after viserys. he's dying next week or ep 10 imo, they've put a fair amount of emphasis on aemond hating him thus far that i suspect is because it will be paid off quickly

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Mameluke posted:

there is no way they'll hold luke dying a season. he's dying next week or ep 10 imo, they've put a fair amount of emphasis on aemond hating him thus far

Rhaenyra gets crowned in Ep10

he dies middle of next season earliest

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We'll see in two weeks, I guess. They've been willing to jig events around (the twin Velaryon betrothals happened way earlier in F&B, as the latest example) so I could see Rhaenyra deciding to dispatch Luke for support before her coronation

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I highly doubt any of the kids are dying this season. If by some measure I'm wrong on this, then the show is like 2 seasons long because they're basically immediately jumping to the bloodbath phase of the war before season 2 even starts. But they haven't introduced Aegon's kids yet, nor will we have time to get to know the Prince actors, so no, there's no way they kill Luc this season.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

All I know is Beesbury’s on borrowed time

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Luc dies at the end of ep 10 per the leak of the last 3 episodes

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Perfect Potato posted:

Luc dies at the end of ep 10 per the leak of the last 3 episodes

It should end with Aegon's party celebrating him getting killed.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ruddiger posted:

All I know is Beesbury’s on borrowed time

Full disclosure : I am low key super into the ongoing fate of Lord Beesbury, rapidly sundowning Scottish accounting nerd.

Since the very first episode, every time there's a small council scene I'm like, "gently caress yeah. Beesbury o'clock."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wish he made more bee related puns

“Gotta go, m’lord, balancing the books keeps me pretty bzzzzy…”

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Two things I feel increasingly sure of:

1) Luke and Aemond’s Storm’s End Showdown goes down this season (I guess that leak confirms I was right there)

2) Beesbury gets defenestrated soon.

World of Ice and Fire offers a few suggestions as to how specifically Ser Criston kills Lord Beesbury, the most likely of which is that he just slits his throat. But Cole tossing him out a window is the method that gets thrown out (heh) by Mushroom, and I feel like it’d be the most interesting, thematic, and potentially comedic way to do it.

The book does mention that Mushroom was at Dragonstone at the time, but meh. I Still Believe.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Nah I think Beesbury's got staying power. He's gonna make it to Season 7 at least.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

timp posted:

Two things I feel increasingly sure of:

1) Luke and Aemond’s Storm’s End Showdown goes down this season (I guess that leak confirms I was right there)

holy poo poo

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Criston watching Beesbury plummet out a castle window: “Buzz off.”

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

PostNouveau posted:

Nah I think Beesbury's got staying power. He's gonna make it to Season 7 at least.

No-one has a better story after all.

EDIT:

We're getting Daeron! :swoon:

Vichan fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 12, 2022

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Harrold Westerling has been around a lot in the background this season but they haven't mentioned Cole becoming Lord Commander have they? Did he just die off screen or do you think they'll work him into the Small Council scene? Maybe he dies along with Beesbury.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea once Vis dies the Greens crown Aegon thr snortfuck as king right away and Rhaenyras is crowned as a response once the news reaches her. If I remember there's a bit of a cold war for a while during which both sides shore up their support. But I'm surprised Luke dying is in the finale episode, that seems like something you'd do in the first or second episode of the season to indicate "shots getting real". But they're probably going to hold off on casting a whole bunch of new Lords until next season. We've seen a Baratheon lord already but we don't know is that will be the same one that joins with the Greens.

My parents are behind and I saw the fight with the kids when I got home from work last night, and Aemond was literally going to murder Luke and Jace and Daemons daughters. Like he picks up thar stone and is clearly planning on bashing their heads in. It's amazing how lovely Aegon and Aemond are, especially compared to Luke and Jace. Alicents kids are drunk rapists and psychopaths, while Rhaenyras kids are dutiful and respectful. Though sadly in a system like Westeros has, the psychos are always going to win out .

Daemon is completely psycho too but he at least can reign it unlike Aemond. It's going to be great watching those two hate each other until their battle over the God's Eye.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Borros Baratheon appears in the finale. Jeyne Arryn and Cregan Stark do not.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I kinda wonder where (if anywhere) they are gonna go with Haelena's future-telling dreams

Are they going to make her replace (at least in part) Alys rivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
This is lore vid of Aemond vs Luke at Storm's end, narrated by Bobby B himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY_GyBuuf_c&t=256s

Typo fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 12, 2022